Awoo.

Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire [3DS Hoenn Remake, November 2014]

Carbo

I've always liked Sceptile as a concept, but I always had a hard time using him effectively for the mid-levels of the game, and only near the end does his value become more noticeable. This will give me even more reason to use him :D. Plus since this is the 6th generation, I don't have to worry about that stupid special/physical thing they had going in the 1st-3rd generations.

tumblr_n6vzudRTJK1r1alb2o1_500h.jpgMy favorite part of the new Team Magma designs has to be that if you look closely, they’re making “M”s with their bodies. Tabitha and Courtney are doing it too.

Meanwhile, Aqua doing boring generic poses.

Actually now that I think about it, with Mega Evolution being in the game, will Archie and Maxie use them like Lysandre?

Their signatures are Camerupt and Sharpedo, so those will likely be the ones to get them here. (Assuming they don't replace Archie's Sharpedo with Gyarados.

That's one thing I'm definitely looking forward to in ORAS; hearing the remastered, remixed music! No more glorious trumpets played underwater! It's going to obviously sound similar to X and Y's instrumentals, so I expect some great versions of each song. Bring on the Elite Four music, Kyogre/Groudon battle music and of course the infamous Route 110!

Steven's where it's at...

I'm waiting for the best Champion Remix since Pokemon XD..it's one of moi all-time fave tracks in pokemon..XD

@Eitarou Their poses have nothing to do with their designs though.

@Eitarou Their poses have nothing to do with their designs though.

Sorry, I was referring to the new Team Magma in general. Gives them more personality.

It really makes me want OR, but I sort of want to play AS because I never had Sapphire.

...But Groudon is cooler than Kyogre, too.

Somehow, I can see them changing Tabitha's name. I hope they don't.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looking at the new Magma/Aqua designs reminds me of one significant alteration, which is in leader personality.  Well, I think Archie was already a bit of an action figure, but Maxie is now clearly a thinker, perhaps more in the mould of a researcher or scientist.  This suggests that the two teams will be less interchangeable, at least in terms of their dialogue.  I'm looking up their original lines right now, and a lot of them are literally exactly the same between the two of them.  Look, I'll pick a line from Ruby and the same line from Sapphire and bold the lines that are identical.  And even the ones that aren't identical are clearly referencing each other.  This goes way beyond the two teams being simple parallels.

"I came to see what was taking so long to snatch some parts, and you simps are held up by a mere child? I am Team Magma's Maxie. Why on earth do you feel compelled to mess up Team Magma's plans? Pokémon, people, all life exists on land... That's why Team Magma is trying to expand the world's landmass. Don't you agree? What we are doing is a magnificent undertaking. Well, no matter... You're young. Your inability to understand our noble cause can't be helped... But, if you were to impede us ever again, you'll see no mercy from us! Keep that firmly in mind! Farewell!"

"I came to see what was taking so long to snatch some parts, and you simps are held up by a mere child? I am Team Aqua's Archie. Tell me, why do you meddle in the noble affairs of Team Aqua? Pokémon, people, all life depends on the sea. So, Team Aqua is dedicated to the expansion of the sea. Don't you agree? What we are doing is a magnificent undertaking. Ah, fine... You're still too young. It can't be helped that you do not understand our ideals. But, if you ever oppose us again, there will be consequences! Heed my warning! Farewell!"

A reminder, as if we needed one, that Team Magma and Team Aqua, Maxie and Archie, are not characters in RS - they are puppets.  I'm really hopeful that ORAS will give them individual characterisation and lines that just couldn't be spoken by their counterparts.

And on another note, now that it's confirmed that Groudon and Kyogre are Mega Evolutions (well, renamed Mega Evolutions), I'm wondering if their types and abilities will change to make the two of them actually equal.  I just can't see a good way of doing it, though.  All Groudon has going for it against Kyogre is Solarbeam, and it's not even STAB.  Maybe if you gave them both the Dragon type...?  Their Ground and Water STABs would only have neutral effectiveness and their Dragon STABs would be super-effective both ways, but it feels like the laziest way of equalising them.  There must be a better way.

I do hope they kinda fix Sceptiles move set a little.

It's a little odd that a Pokemon who's highest attacking stat is Special Attack, but it's near entire moveset is physical base. It's also a pain that you can't get Giga Drain unless you level up your Treeko very high, would've been much easier if it was a Egg move.

Granted, Sceptiles physical attack isn't bad either, especially if it's Adament nature and you EV trained it to be Physical, kinda the same thing with Greninja that it's kinda balanced between Attack and Special attack.

Oh boy, but Ice moves are gonna completely wreck it through, lol.

I do hope they kinda fix Sceptiles move set a little.

It's a little odd that a Pokemon who's highest attacking stat is Special Attack, but it's near entire moveset is physical base. It's also a pain that you can't get Giga Drain unless you level up your Treeko very high, would've been much easier if it was a Egg move.

Granted, Sceptiles physical attack isn't bad either, especially if it's Adament nature and you EV trained it to be Physical, kinda the same thing with Greninja that it's kinda balanced between Attack and Special attack.

Oh boy, but Ice moves are gonna completely wreck it through, lol.

That didn't stop Garchomp from being used so frequently in competitive battles.

Garchomp is too versatile for it to matter.

I doubt that will apply to Sceptile.

Sugomori fail, he didn't realize he made Brendan/Ruby cross-eyed.

He doesn't do character design any more for Pokémon, and pretty sure he doesn't do the character art either.

Garchomp is too versatile for it to matter.

I doubt that will apply to Sceptile.

I dunno every Mega Evolution so far has at worst been decent.  In terms of competitive battling, I don't believe any of them are lower than UU.  I predict that Mega Sceptile will receive a large boost in SpAtk and Spd and smaller boosts in its bulk (I'm guessing something along the lines of base 70/100/85/140/95/140), so it will hit very hard and very fast with STAB Leaf Storm and Dragon Pulse.  Not to mention after it has Mega Evolved it's able to come in on Volt Switches and the like for a free boost.  I think even with the ice weakness Mega Sceptile will still be very effective.

Wait, he doesn't?

He's technically not been credited as Character Designer since Pokémon Yellow, but since Black and White Yusuke Ohmura has been the Trainer Designer. Sugimori is director for Pokémon design, nowadays. Again, don't know if like with the Pokémon he still does the final Trainer art despite not designing them, but considering the changes in art style lately, doubt it.

EDIT: He's also not credited for artwork on HG & SS so I've no idea what he's been doing lately beyond doing the Pokémon.

That didn't stop Garchomp from being used so frequently in competitive battles.

Except that Garchomp can take punishment like a boss,  Sceptile is one of the most frail starter Pokemon, even with a Mega evo I doubt it's defense and special defense stats will get raised that much for it to take a Ice beam to the face and live.

Except that Garchomp can take punishment like a boss,  Sceptile is one of the most frail starter Pokemon, even with a Mega evo I doubt it's defense and special defense stats will get raised that much for it to take a Ice beam to the face and live.

Neither Pokemon can take an Ice Beam from anything that will run it.  Unless you run something obscure like specially defensive Mega Garchomp, it will always get OHKO'd by Ice Beam.

Garchomp fears ice like the plague dude.

Yache berry can allow Garchomp to survive ice attacks, but Mega Scep won't have that liberty. I'm honestly hoping they do buff some of its defenses as well as its physical attack so that it can take advantage of its diverse movepool. M. Charizard X has 130 in both attack stats, IIRC.

Garchomp also had the benefit of Sand Veil to avoid Ice Beams because of Lady Luck. Sceptile doesn't have that luxury.

Are you speaking from experience? You and your fucking Mamoswine?

True Dragon Slayer since 2007 son :V

I dunno every Mega Evolution so far has at worst been decent.  In terms of competitive battling, I don't believe any of them are lower than UU.  I predict that Mega Sceptile will receive a large boost in SpAtk and Spd and smaller boosts in its bulk (I'm guessing something along the lines of base 70/100/85/140/95/140), so it will hit very hard and very fast with STAB Leaf Storm and Dragon Pulse.  Not to mention after it has Mega Evolved it's able to come in on Volt Switches and the like for a free boost.  I think even with the ice weakness Mega Sceptile will still be very effective.

I dunno, ignoring the ice weakness Mega Sceptile's got 5 other weaknesses to contend with. I hope it doesn't become like another Mega Abomasnow. :\

I do agree with you in that it'd have boosts in SpAtk and Spd...so if that were the case then would it be the fastest dragon with the highest base speed?  I at least hope that Mega Sceptile would have more of a use than being a Rotom-W counter.

We're gonna have to wait to see it's stats first before final judgement on Mega Sceptile, who knows, it's defensive stats may get raised a lot for it to take more of a beating, Also hopefully it''s have access to some good moves this time too like Dragon Pulse. But hey, it can resist Thunderwave, and most of Rotom W's moves, as well as kill it fast.

As for Mega Swampert, my goodness, that thing is gonna be one hell of a threat, I just know it, put it on a Rain team, and watch it destroy.

He's technically not been credited as Character Designer since Pokémon Yellow, but since Black and White Yusuke Ohmura has been the Trainer Designer. Sugimori is director for Pokémon design, nowadays. Again, don't know if like with the Pokémon he still does the final Trainer art despite not designing them, but considering the changes in art style lately, doubt it.

EDIT: He's also not credited for artwork on HG & SS so I've no idea what he's been doing lately beyond doing the Pokémon.

Actually, he still does human art occasionally.

He did N and the players in BW, and he apparently drew characters like Tierno in XY. Just to name a few.

• Thumbs Up 2