Awoo.

E3 Rumour topic: "Just go on the internet and tell rumours?"

Badnik Mechanic

Or they are going to hand it out to another developer for a movie tiein, it would stink, but you never know 

I doubt that. Sony's pretty good at taking care of its IPs. Or more accurately, Insomniac is. Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch happily sell their IPs down the river when convenient, but Insomniac has stuck with Ratchet despite moving onto other titles too.

That sounds entirely boring to me. I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer to get a PS4. I don't know, I just don't care about any of Sony's franchises save for inFAMOUS and LBP anymore. Especially not God of War.

I doubt that. Sony's pretty good at taking care of its IPs. Or more accurately, Insomniac is. Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch happily sell their IPs down the river when convenient, but Insomniac has stuck with Ratchet despite moving onto other titles too.

? The Jak HD ports were pretty nice, Uncharted Vita was handled by a very competent studio (Sony Bend) and TLoU PS4 is being built inhouse.

Sucker Punch gave their seal of approval to Sanzaru who did justice to the Sly series.

Meanwhile, we got a bunch of experiments with Ratchet of... varying quality and that atrocious Vita port.

That sounds entirely boring to me. I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer to get a PS4. I don't know, I just don't care about any of Sony's franchises save for inFAMOUS and LBP anymore. Especially not God of War.

I'd hope this list to be fake. It's rather lacking for starters.

? The (totally real guys) list has games/studios of proven quality covering a huge array of genres: character action, adventure, stealth, driving in both arcade and sim flavors, western and japanese RPGs, TPS... plus a bunch of surprises from 1st/3rd/indies.

Even for people that don't like the current IPs (no love for Souls/Uncharted/TLG? 0 taste confirmed), I don't see how could anyone declare it as a dud given the presence of unknowns.

• Thumbs Up 1

What are you guys even expecting? "Lacking"? In what way?

There's three new IPs, three radically different racing games, two major Japanese games, a hack n' slash, two radically different third person shooters, an RPG... what expectations are being let down by this list?

I can understand not having interest in some of the IPs shown, but to say that it's actually a poor list of games seems so silly to me. There's tons of variety and plenty of new IPs as well. What else do you want? The list is fake as shit anyway and as happy as I'd be with it I don't hold any faith in it, but I'm genuinely curious as to what these expectations are.

There's three new IPs, three radically different racing games, two major Japanese games, a hack n' slash, two radically different third person shooters, an RPG... what expectations are being let down by this list?

>No Crash Bandicoot

I call it fake.

*also no Rogue Galaxy HD

No Ratchet and Clank is quite strange...just goes to show how Sony cares more about going reelistik and dark with their IPs and not cartoony and fun. 

THEN AGAIN

This list is fake. So hopefully there will be a new R&C game announced, or a new Sly Cooper by Sanzaru. Otherwise the conference is just going to be full of dem reelistik games. Dammit Sony why did you have to be like Microsoft??

I can understand not having interest in some of the IPs shown, but to say that it's actually a poor list of games seems so silly to me. There's tons of variety and plenty of new IPs as well. What else do you want? The list is fake as shit anyway and as happy as I'd be with it I don't hold any faith in it, but I'm genuinely curious as to what these expectations are.

I'd want Sony to focus a little bit more on the Vita.

I'd want Sony to focus a little bit more on the Vita.

That's fair enough. At this point though I think it's past the time to come to terms with the fact that the Vita is even more dead than the Wii U. The only thing I could imagine possibly bringing it back is the Vita TV, and that's only by virtue of it being a Trojan Horse under the guise of a TV set top box.

No Ratchet and Clank is quite strange...just goes to show how Sony cares more about going reelistik and dark with their IPs and not cartoony and fun.

THEN AGAIN

This list is fake. So hopefully there will be a new R&C game announced, or a new Sly Cooper by Sanzaru. Otherwise the conference is just going to be full of dem reelistik games. Dammit Sony why did you have to be like Microsoft??

This on the other hand... :/

What's wrong with realisti- sorry, "reelistik" games? Why does "not Nintendo" automatically equate to "becoming Microsoft"? And even then, Media Molecule's game is just as bright and colorful as every other game they've ever made.

Personally, i would be usually fine with humanoid characters, but there's just too much saturation with realistically looking human protagonists and the cartoonish style seens in the PS1-PS2 era is getting less and less recognition in order to promote motion capturing and stuff like that.

I just want more balance, that's all.

I can understand being a bit disappointed that a particular genre didn't get any representation, but to pretend that everything is targeting hardcore realism and is devoid of color is ridiculous when the games on the list are successors to and/or look like this - 

tumblr_mik29jl38q1s5i4foo1_500.gif

ib1oosSnQkQvDG.gif

tumblr_mhlopyJWZE1qdqlkxo1_500.gif

tumblr_lz18i41BUU1qaa8d1o1_r3_500.gif

ib2pfqqoyth8ay.gif

Not seeing the intense realism and sameyness supposedly on display here. 

I can understand being a bit disappointed that a particular genre didn't get any representation, but to pretend that everything is targeting hardcore realism and is devoid of color is ridiculous when the games on the list are successors to and/or look like this - 

tumblr_mik29jl38q1s5i4foo1_500.gif

ib1oosSnQkQvDG.gif

tumblr_mhlopyJWZE1qdqlkxo1_500.gif

tumblr_lz18i41BUU1qaa8d1o1_r3_500.gif

ib2pfqqoyth8ay.gif

Not seeing the intense realism and sameyness supposedly on display here. 

Well Infamous may be a superhero game but it has a very realistic artstyle. I'll give you the first 3 and I know nothing about the game in the 4th gif.

Really I just don't want Sony to drop support for IP's like Rachet and Clank or Sly Cooper because they're too cartoony and "kiddy" or for any reason for that matter. Comes back to the balance point: Sony would have it's dark gritty stuff, stuff more in the middle like that futuristic racing game and Second Son and the cartoony stuff like Rachet and Sly if they didn't drop those 2 IP's. 

Discoid are you really pointing to the monster design as a way to prove your point how those games aren't trying to achieve a realism? Those monsters are designed in a way so that they would still match the humans around them and not look incredibly out of place. That's like saying Lord of the Rings isn't a realistic looking movie just because it has monsters, or Gears of War isn't attempting a realism. (I'm talking about the 4th gif. At least the Kid in TLG looks unrealistic.)

Also, I don't recall anyone bringing up color.

• Thumbs Up 2

Discoid are you really pointing to the monster design as a way to prove your point how those games aren't trying to achieve a realism? Those monsters are designed in a way so that they would still match the humans around them and not look incredibly out of place. That's like saying Lord of the Rings isn't a realistic looking movie just because it has monsters, or Gears of War isn't attempting a realism. (I'm talking about the 4th gif. At least the Kid in TLG looks unrealistic.)

Also, I don't recall anyone bringing up color.

The issue is that the most common basis of this complaint is that realism somehow inherently discourages creativity in design, and that all games that don't look colorful and cartoony have a homogenized style to them. Interesting and creative enemy designs like those of the Souls series are an easy way to disprove this.

• Thumbs Up 2

The issue is that the most common basis of this complaint is that realism somehow inherently discourages creativity in design, and that all games that don't look colorful and cartoony have a homogenized style to them. Interesting and creative enemy designs like those of the Souls series are an easy way to disprove this.

You're arguing against a strawman then. No one brought up those complaints. Whether they look interesting or not is subjective at this point.

• Thumbs Up 1

You're arguing against a strawman then. No one brought up those complaints. Whether they look interesting or not is subjective at this point.

The post I replied to openly mocks the list for being "reelistik" as if this is an inherent flaw in design. It's a very common stance to have regarding visuals on this forum due to the very heavy pro-Nintendo SSMB culture, and is one that has shown its face in many more topics than just this one.

You say that color and creativity were never points that were brought up, but then, what exactly does the term "cartoony" describe? The homogenization complaint is made quite clear in that post as well - "why did you have to be like Microsoft", creating a direct comparison due to the supposed visual similarity in the art design.

• Thumbs Up 3

The post I replied to openly mocks the list for being "reelistik" as if this is an inherent flaw in design. It's a very common stance to have regarding visuals on this forum due to the very heavy pro-Nintendo SSMB culture, and is one that has shown its face in many more topics than just this one.

You say that color and creativity were never points that were brought up, but then, what exactly does the term "cartoony" describe? The homogenization complaint is made quite clear in that post as well - "why did you have to be like Microsoft", creating a direct comparison due to the supposed visual similarity in the art design.

That's called having an opinion and not liking a certain style or the heavy use of a style, just like how many people complain about things like the overuse of the Wind Waker style in Zelda games. When was that a problem?

That's called assuming. "Cartoony" means to have heavily exaggerated characters that have next to no attachment to real life, only lightly taking inspiration from it. It is not trying to emulate the fantasy of realistic human models being in a fantastical, gritty, or general nonrealistic setting. Lack of color was never discussed. 

That's called having an opinion and not liking a certain style or the heavy use of a style, just like how many people complain about things like the overuse of the Wind Waker style in Zelda games. When was that a problem?

That's called assuming. "Cartoony" means to have heavily exaggerated characters that have next to no attachment to real life, only lightly taking inspiration from it. It is not trying to emulate the fantasy of realistic human models being in a fantastical, gritty, or general nonrealistic setting. Lack of color was never discussed.

You honestly believe the only discussion being had here stems from an intolerance for a specific preference for a certain style of art? The only reason is replied to that post is because the blatantly extreme overgereneralization towards all styles that aren't "cartoony" is all too common, and I posted several examples of games that look very distinct from one another in numerous ways as a counterpoint.

You honestly believe the only discussion being had here stems from an intolerance for a specific preference for a certain style of art? The only reason is replied to that post is because the blatantly extreme overgereneralization towards all styles that aren't "cartoony" is all too common, and I posted several examples of games that look very distinct from one another in numerous ways as a counterpoint.

So what? He misspelled "realistic" because he doesn't like the huge usage of it or he believes Sony is going in that direction? The overgeneralisation of cartooniness with Nintendo game is annoying to, but it's not like we who complain are going to change minds.

That's called "pedantry." It was quite clear what the original point that Discoid was arguing; just like it is clear every time it is brought up in deference to "why Sony IPs aren't interesting." Whether you agree with the validity of the point or not is something different from claiming the point was never being made; even through implication.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's called "pedantry." It was quite clear what the original point that Discoid was arguing; just like it is clear every time it is brought up in deference to "why Sony IPs aren't interesting." Whether you agree with the validity of the point or not is something different from claiming the point was never being made; even though implication.

I'm sorry Tornado, I don't understand your word usage. Could you please repeat again, because I don't think I can deliver a satisfactory response. 

? The Jak HD ports were pretty nice, Uncharted Vita was handled by a very competent studio (Sony Bend) and TLoU PS4 is being built inhouse.

Sucker Punch gave their seal of approval to Sanzaru who did justice to the Sly series.

Sly 4 has a mixed reception among the fanbase and hasn't scored as well as its predecessors with critics as memory serves. Jak the Lost Frontier is widely reviled. These IPs were abandoned by their creators and while the succeeding dev team may not be terrible, they're nowhere near as good as the originals.

While Ratchet's spinoffs aren't exactly the best he remains relevant and generally scores pretty highly. The same can't be said for Mr. Cooper or Jak, who have fallen from grace. That Sly 4 was made at all is pretty miraculous when he could have joined Jak, Crash and the others in the pile of characters whose sole relevance is nostalgia.

I mean heck, Jak doesn't even get a mascot at Sony events despite the fact, as a human, he'd probably be one of the easier ones to do.

Regardless, given that Ratchet is going to be kicking off Sony's transformation into Disney 2.0, I'm hopeful something related to him will be at this year's conference.

While Ratchet's spinoffs aren't exactly the best he remains relevant and generally scores pretty highly. The same can't be said for Mr. Cooper or Jak, who have fallen from grace.

vDCEBc8.jpg

uh-huh

and Ratchet's last mainline is at 76, if that's "scoring pretty highly" then so is Sly.

That makes me wonder (and this might be new topic material here, so I'll make this rhetorical)... if games reviews were an exam, which the games had to take, what would be the passing grade? In many academic exams, 75% would be a pass. Just because neither series is scoring in the mid-level 80s and above, that doesn't make either of them bad, nor does it mark a "fall from grace" for either. Now, if they were down in the 30s, that would be a fall from grace.

GT6 ended up pulling low-80s and it' was pretty damn irrelevant from the start.

To say nothing of taking a multi-tiered point, responding to one small bit of it, then dismissing the rest of it out of hand as a result.

vDCEBc8.jpg

uh-huh

and Ratchet's last mainline is at 76, if that's "scoring pretty highly" then so is Sly.

Except I conceded his spinoffs didn't score that highly.

He also has a rate of new games on par with Mario or Sonic. Sly Cooper had a gap of 8 years. Hence why I consider him a miracle, since otherwise he's set to go down the path of Jak and Crash as not really being relevant (that Move spinoff aside). Furthermore, if I'm not mistaken, All 4 One did well among party players if not the fanbase or critics at large, and was a small success. If a game can still make a lot of sales, it's relevant to me regardless of what scores it gets. Otherwise Sonic would be deemed irrelevant.

Though back to my main point... given Insomniac haven't turned Ratchet over to someone else, unlike the fate that has befallen every other PlayStation mascot, I'm not too fearful of what the movie tie-in, if it exists, would be. Though given the fact the movie is a retelling of the original trilogy, I don't think a true tie-in is likely, as that would be like a reboot that isn't a reboot.