Awoo.

E3 Rumour topic: "Just go on the internet and tell rumours?"

Badnik Mechanic

What happened to Sly (new game maybe?), Jak and Daxter, Ape Escape, MediEvil?

It's just a shame to see all those characters almost being ditched in favour of all the franchises for an 18+ targeted audience. Ugh.

Amen.

I find it very disheartening the era of the platformer pretty much was eclipsed in favor of the FPS. I remember a time where we were all looking up to cartoon animals or humans with cartoon animals for associates.

The fact Ty, Sly Cooper, etc. have had sequels recently, however, makes me feel there could be a renaissance for platform titles in the near future if nothing else. I think those endless runners on mobile might have helped people remember just how fun the simplistic platformer formula can be.

So to link this back to the topic... yeah, I'm hopeful there will be some platform representation at the Sony booth this year.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok Discoid, here's what I meant and this is coming from somebody who grew up mostly with Sony and its franchises and not Nintendo.

I miss the variety we used to get with Sony games. There were cartoony games, Japanese games and more western "realistic" looking games, and by this I mean where characters do not have cartoony proportions such as God of War, Killzone and Uncharted and are much more serious or dark.

Now the PS1, PS2 and even PS3 to some extent have a wide variety of games which were great and diverse. But now it seems to me that there's a lot less variety and everything ends up looking or even playing similar. There are exceptions of course like LBP and R&C which I'm sure will be announced for the PS4 in the future but other than that...? What happened to Sly (new game maybe?), Jak and Daxter, Ape Escape, MediEvil?

It's just a shame to see all those characters almost being ditched in favour of other franchises for an 18+ targeted audience. Ugh.

Does the huge indie push on PS4 not count for some reason? Cartoony games are still there, arguably even more than before. They're all being showcased live at E3, on stage, and have been brought further to the forefront than ever before. PS4 and PS Vita are both known for having fantastic indie support, with tons of games constantly being released that deliver exactly what you seem to be looking for.

I, myself, already have these games on my PS4 hard drive - 

ps4-game-6959-lower-marq.jpg

11239996293_b985bac7a6_z.jpg

DS_16.png

ps4-game-6925_mid_img1.jpg

I also really enjoyed playing Tearaway on my Vita, and I've heard a lot of good things about last year's Puppeteer, which is currently being given away for free on PS Plus. 

So... I can't really say I follow. Sony's supporting plenty of brand new IPs from new developers now, and the catalog of games already has plenty of variety as a result.

I think it can be argued that Indie gamers shouldn't have to pick up the slack for Sony. They're an industry giant.

• Thumbs Up 4

An industry giant that's giving indies more attention than they've ever gotten in the console space. How is this bad or dismissible? Indies have been a huge part of the PS4's core marketing months before it even came out. 

I'd say the cartoony and lighthearted games are there if you look for them, but you don't even have to do that. They're regularly put on the front page of the PSN store and handed out like candy every month for free thanks to partnerships with the developers.

Nintendo's indie courting has been rather commendable too, perhaps not as much as Sony's, yet people still expect them to actual bring the variety in their own games. I'm just saying, man.

I think when people say they want Sony's properties to be more diverse, they literally mean Sony's properties, and not just games that happen to play on their systems. Hence why no one brought up independent titles.

• Thumbs Up 7

Nintendo's indie courting has been rather commendable too, perhaps not as much as Sony's, yet people still expect them to actual bring the variety in their own games. I'm just saying, man.

I'm not criticizing their indie output, though. All I'm doing is pointing out that the implication that Sony (or even Microsoft) don't care at all about games that aren't dark or realistic seems unfair in light of the strides they've both been making to make sure these games are present on their systems.

I think when people say they want Sony's properties to be more diverse, they literally mean Sony's properties, and not just games that happen to play on their systems. Hence why no one brought up independent titles.

I'll go ahead and limit it to Sony published PS4 games then - 

• Knack (PS4 only)
  • Sound Shapes
  • Resogun (PS4 only)
  • Playroom (PS4 only)
  • DC Universe Online
  • Doki Doki Universe
  • Flow
  • Escape Plan
  • Counterspy 
  • Rime (PS4 only)

Extend that list to games released in the last year exclusive to PS3 - 

• Diggs Nightcrawler
  • Puppeteer
  • Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus
  • Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time

There. 2013 and 2014 alone, published directly by Sony. This, coupled with the huge indie push, makes it hard for me to see exactly where this "they only care about realistic games" argument is coming from, and I'm saying this as someone whose top five favorite games would all fit the extremely broad "realistic" classification. Cartoony games are there if you want them. There's also a lot of "realistic" stuff to balance that. 

Are you seriously saying people who like less realistic games should be happy with Knack and non-games like Playroom? That just sort of says that, if they do make games that aren't realistic, they're going to be no effort affairs.

Are you seriously saying people who like less realistic games should be happy with Knack and non-games like Playroom? That just sort of says that, if they do make games that aren't realistic, they're going to be no effort affairs.

If those aren't to your liking there's about twelve others listed right there? 

The argument being presented is that Sony has no non-realistic games and does not care about cartoony or lighthearted games at all. How many goalposts are we going to place here? 

Hell, I'll toss in a Microsoft list too if this is really the perception people have here. There's plenty there too.

I fail to see how Resogun caters to members like Ogilvie and Gabz Girl, for one. Besides that there's a...MMO, several other non-traditional, that could easily be seen as non-game, games including non Sony properties like Doki Doki Universe. The only games that seem like a concentrated effort, from Sony, to make games that cater to more than the mature crowd are the PS3 games you mentioned. That's just it, they're PS3 games. They're not PS4 games. The goal posts WERE never moved, they were specifically asking about games like R&C, Sly, etc. Those are more than just light hearted games, they're specifically action platform games. Those types of games were a huge part of a lot of members' lives, especially if they grew up during the early PlayStation eras.

• Thumbs Up 5

And Sound Shapes is a 2012 game ported to PS4 in 2013. This game does not really count. So does DC Universe Online, Doki Doki, Escape Plan, Flow...

Counterspy ISN'T published by Sony, Playroom I wouldn't call that a real game...

Man...I hope Ratchet, Sly, LBP or a new cartoon like IP makes an appearance this E3. Otherwise me buying a PS4 too early is a mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 3

I think an apt example is how Sony Cambridge, a development team known for more lighthearted fare, and the beloved MediEvil series, has been converted into a studio that is supposed to push out secondary Killzone games. It's ridiculous.

I fail to see how Resogun caters to members like Ogilvie and Gabz Girl, for one. Besides that there's a...MMO, several other non-traditional, that could easily be seen as non-game, games including non Sony properties like Doki Doki Universe. The only games that seem like a concentrated effort, from Sony, to make games that cater to more than the mature crowd are the PS3 games you mentioned. That's just it, they're PS3 games. They're not PS4 games. The goal posts WERE never moved, they were specifically asking about games like R&C, Sly, etc. Those are more than just light hearted games, they're specifically action platform games. Those types of games were a huge part of a lot of members' lives, especially if they grew up during the early PlayStation eras.

So let me get this straight: we started this whole thing because Gabz said Sony only cares about realistic games now, and don't care about cartoony games anymore. There are plenty of cartoony games already available and plenty more coming, but many don't count because we're talking exclusively about Sony published games. Fair enough, we'll discard the indies. Sony published only. Resogun doesn't count because reasons. DC Universe doesn't count because it's an MMO. Flow and several other games don't count because they're not actually games, but rather non-games in disguise. Doki Doki Universe was published and advertised by Sony, but doesn't count because they didn't create the IP, others don't count because they are not PS4 exclusives (ignoring the fact that there are hardly any Sony published exclusive games in general on the brand new system they just released a few months ago), and whatever is left doesn't count because they're not cartoony action platformers.

In that case, yes, I totally agree. There are, in fact, no exclusive action platformers currently available.

*Sigh* Having grown up Sony as well and owning a PS1 and PS2, i do wish that Sony could once again, rev up the the gears of longing, with that versatile use of variety and colorful characters that helped give the edge to Sony in my book. Granted, that was only one of many reasons why I never did gravitate to the PS3, and I'm hoping that they can make up for it with the PS4.

Part of the reason why I find this list rather lacking too.

Glad we could come to an accord, because those are specifically the types of games Gabz and Ogilvie were brining up. What are Jak, Ape Escape, R&C, and MedEvil (this could be argued to be an action adventure, I admit) to you?

I think an apt example is how Sony Cambridge, a development team known for more lighthearted fare, and the beloved MediEvil series, has been converted into a studio that is supposed to push out secondary Killzone games. It's ridiculous.

Studios move around and do different things. This is nothing new, nor is it something exclusive to Sony. Retro went from making the beloved Metroid Prime to Donkey Kong. Black Tusk went from working on a new IP to Gears of War.

It's not ridiculous at all. It's what this industry does.

Glad we could come to an accord, because those are specifically the types of games Gabz and Ogilvie were brining up. What are Jak, Ape Escape, R&C, and MedEvil (this could be argued to be an action adventure, I admit) to you?

Cartoony. Up until you brought it up, nobody seemed to inform me the conversation moved from "they don't make cartoony games" to "they don't make action platformers". Apologies for not keeping up.

You know what's annoying? Sunset Overdrive. Freaking Sunset Overdrive.

That is 1 XONE upcoming exclusive game I looking forward too. And I don't even have the console. PS4? ---I'll be honest, none! There is none! Well there is Rime, but that's an indie title.

For goodness sake, it's Vita all over again for me if E3 turns out a dud. I don't give two craps about Uncharted (they should have ended this with 3 seriously), Killzone, Gran Turismo, Driveclub, TLoU...and that's what Sony are most likely going to show instead of cartoony fun titles (that are NOT indie!)

A MediEvil return would be super nice Wrath-It, especially how I loved the first game. Jak, collaborate with Activision for Crash return, a Sackboy 3D adventure or something.

Enough of 1st/3rd person shooters! People get XBox for that sort of thing! I really hate what ND became, but that's life...if it wasn't for Ratchet or LBP last gen, I would have bought the Wii U first (and I'm beginning to regret already).

I mean all the PS4 has at the moment is Knack and it's mediocre, a game people told me it's not worth getting...is this the best you could do Sony?

• Thumbs Up 4

Not to mention that Kingdom Hearts 3 no longer being a Sony exclusive doesn't help things either. There's not much extravagant out-of-this-world stuff that you can only find on the PS4, which is the frustrating factor for me in regards for showing support to Sony, one of the big three companies that got me into gaming to begin with, these days! There's nothing really drawing in that's exclusive to Sony because a lot of their chips have been sold or gone down for one reason or another.

The lack of cartoon-ish games talk is funny when last year they put out Puppetteer, which is basically a super charming saturday morning puppet show platformer. They also had Ratchet and Sly entries, so both existing and new IPs were covered.

Do you expect them to adopt a CoD/AssCreed program and churn out them every year? Developing games takes time. For three generations in a row they've had the most diverse lineup, but those lineups didn't happen overnight.

Those kind of games have mediocre performances at best too, so it's understandable they want to frontload the system thru more appealing mass-market franchises. Especially when the kings of cartoony stuff, Nintendo, met utter, complete failure on WiiU with that style. Get dat Uncharted out, firmly secure the market and then experiment.

The console isn't even a year old for fuck's sake.

Though back to my main point... given Insomniac haven't turned Ratchet over to someone else, unlike the fate that has befallen every other PlayStation mascot

Secret Agent Clank and R&C:Size Matters were developed by High Impact Games. And while they do have old insomniac staff, they also have ex-ND guys and developed the reviled J&D Lost Frontier.

• Thumbs Up 2

The console is ~6 months old......there are no action platformers. Yet. They'll happen eventually. Why no R&C? Well Insomniac are in the middle of making something else.

Sony doesn't care about action platformers? I don't think that's true. Because then Tearaway, and Puppeteer wouldn't have existed. They're not on PS4? Well, the console is less than a year old, and the PS3 still has a huge userbase. Unlike other platform holders, Sony doesn't seem to like the idea of just abandoning their previous gen systems.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

People are talking more on how there isn't any of those games in the E3 list, which is what Sony should have planned for the next year. R&C got its first PS3 title fairly early in its life cycle IIRC.

You mean the E3 list which is totally real and confirmed and certainly worth taking at face value for factual data on every single first and third release from here until late 2015?

The one you've spent two pages defending in case it does turn out to be true, yes. You want to play the "this whole discussion is moot" card, play it before being one of the main contributors to it.

• Thumbs Up 3