Awoo.

E3 Rumour topic: "Just go on the internet and tell rumours?"

Badnik Mechanic

Honestly, I expect a new Star Fox title soon, but why a reboot? Just ignore Command and continue after Assault, or start in the middle of Command and ignore the crappy endings. Star Fox 64 was already a reboot of the original.

Honestly, I expect a new Star Fox title soon, but why a reboot? Just ignore Command and continue after Assault, or start in the middle of Command and ignore the crappy endings. Star Fox 64 was already a reboot of the original.

Because you can build things into the universe better, I suppose. Sonic Boom, for instance, seems to be taking advantage of the Sonic series' legacy to craft a stronger world, which in turn gives rise to stronger characters and narrative. It could end off worthless, of course, but the notion's not a bad one on its face.

• Thumbs Up 1

Didn't Kamiya already say they wanted nothing to do with Starfox after all the fans begging them incessantly for it? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Didn't Kamiya already say they wanted nothing to do with Starfox after all the fans begging them incessantly for it? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Apparently he did but, Kamiya is also a known troll. He could've said that purely to get everyone off his back. And he must have something in the works after Wonderful 101 finished.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't know, does it really have actual substance?  The source appears to be a blog with a single post and no peripheral detail.  The prophecies are realistic and often rooted in established facts or educated guesses, but that just makes it all the easier to invent.  If I were making up a Nintendo E3 rumour, it would probably be very similar.

Would be nice if it was true, of course.  It's quite well-written; it proposes quite a few exciting prospects whilst also managing to appear realistic.  Bravo to the writer.

I don't know, does it really have actual substance?  The source appears to be a blog with a single post and no peripheral detail.  The prophecies are realistic and often rooted in established facts or educated guesses, but that just makes it all the easier to invent.  If I were making up a Nintendo E3 rumour, it would probably be very similar.

Would be nice if it was true, of course.  It's quite well-written; it proposes quite a few exciting prospects whilst also managing to appear realistic.  Bravo to the writer.

Well, what I meant by 'substance' is basically it's pretty much very realistic, compared to the other rumor some posts before - there's no details that instantly discredits it or makes it unbelievable.

• Thumbs Up 1

If Nintendo does good with Zelda U and then turns around and announce Platinum Games working on StarFox then I'd probably lose my mind. It'd be the ultimate dream, and that's why I will remain very skeptical of the rumor no matter how much that satisfies me jibblies.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not gonna believe it, but it is much more believable than the previous list. Some of it most definitely will happen though.

I don't particularly care for Star Fox so meh. A new Metroid would be cool but I'm not all that bothered. A new F-Zero would be absolutely amazing but I've given up hope for that

So if that Starfox platinum games thing is right, won't that mean that the next Starfox will be less flying spaceships/planes and more platform stuff? Since that's pretty much what Platinum has done to date?

A new F-Zero would be absolutely amazing but I've given up hope for that

Given that Mario Kart has eaten F-Zero and acquired its powers, we're unlikely to see a new one for quite a long time yet. Given how poorly the series sold, we may never see another one outside of Nintendo World-like minigame compilations. I'd honestly be happy with GX/AX HD at this point...

I'd love a new Metroid platform adventure for the 3DS, coupled with a new Prime-style game on the Wii U. I doubt either will show up this year though. sad.png It's all figurine this, Zelda that... don't get me wrong, those are all well and good, but hot damn Nintendo needs to diversify its portfolio and acquire a couple more western dev studios to hone and help do that.

So if that Starfox platinum games thing is right, won't that mean that the next Starfox will be less flying spaceships/planes and more platform stuff? Since that's pretty much what Platinum has done to date?

It'd definitely give them an excuse to try a genre they haven't touched much before. Plus, since they know how to mix flash and substance so well, I have faith in them pulling off both combat and flight sections really well for a StarFox game... in fact, I can't think of anyone better for the task. Not even a main Nintendo branch.

I can think of one group, least for the classic, and the starfox 1/64 style, and that would be Treasure, as they are the king of shooters, but that's about it

Treasure's mostly good with just 2D shooters though, aren't they? Because IIRC they mostly stick to top-down or run n' gun. 

I take back what I said somewhat; Nintendo could maybe do well with a new StarFox on their own. The only problem if they do it by themselves though is that I worry they'll either try to over-invoke SF64 nostalgia, or go in the direction of Command, and I at least know they'd most likely stick with the art style of whatever they've given Fox and co. in Brawl and SSB4.

I could trust Platinum collab'd with Ninty enough to do SF gameplay, keep what worked and make something fresh out of it. 

It'd definitely give them an excuse to try a genre they haven't touched much before. Plus, since they know how to mix flash and substance so well, I have faith in them pulling off both combat and flight sections really well for a StarFox game... in fact, I can't think of anyone better for the task. Not even a main Nintendo branch.

I can think of one group, least for the classic, and the starfox 1/64 style, and that would be Treasure, as they are the king of shooters, but that's about it 

I'd like Namco working on the next Star Fox. I really liked Assault, so they'd just have to cut back on the ground missions and I'd be happy. Though I did enjoy them. But the flight missions are what should be focused on. Nintendo seems to be close with Namco, what with them working on Smash Bros.

Platinum can work on something else, but I'd rather they not be working on Star Fox.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Pokken"

So much merit in this one, goddamn I can't wait to pit Puma against Pangoro.

• Thumbs Up 1

If Pokken does become a thing, I'd hope they extend the roster to more than just the Fighting types. Hitmonchan and Blaziken are well and good, but having Raichu, Alakazam, Pinsir, Granbull, Aggron, Floatzel, even gimmicky stuff like Goodra and "Make it up as you go" Smeargle will break prior conceptions and could create a really fun experience.

• Thumbs Up 2

That fighting CG scene shown and the trademark leaks though.

Not saying it's real, but what we've seen so far could point towards it. And honestly it'd be an amazing idea if done well!

I'd like Namco working on the next Star Fox. I really liked Assault, so they'd just have to cut back on the ground missions and I'd be happy. Though I did enjoy them. But the flight missions are what should be focused on. Nintendo seems to be close with Namco, what with them working on Smash Bros.

Platinum can work on something else, but I'd rather they not be working on Star Fox.

What's wrong with them working on StarFox? Namco could do fine too, sure, but all of Smash + potential Pokken + StarFox would basically make Nintendo Namco's slave driver.

I actually completely forgot about that screenshot leak.

That'll be the dumbest shit if it ends up true.

I actually completely forgot about that screenshot leak.

That'll be the dumbest shit if it ends up true.

That wasn't a leak, that was actual sneak-peek footage from Nintendo. And the brief clip of it in motion is on youtube somewhere.

So we're definitely getting something. Whether it be another Stadium-like game or a fighting game with a behind-the-back camera setup, who knows. The notion of there being any more Stadium-like games is pretty much dead in the water now that 3D battling is no longer limited to consoles, though.

What's wrong with them working on StarFox? Namco could do fine too, sure, but all of Smash + potential Pokken + StarFox would basically make Nintendo Namco's slave driver.

Because Platinum's previous library isn't anything like I'd want a new Star Fox to be.

That wasn't a leak, that was actual sneak-peek footage from Nintendo. And the brief clip of it in motion is on youtube somewhere.

So we're definitely getting something. Whether it be another Stadium-like game or a fighting game with a behind-the-back camera setup, who knows. The notion of there being any more Stadium-like games is pretty much dead in the water now that 3D battling is no longer limited to consoles, though.

They said it was supposed to be what Pokémon could look like in the future. They were showing off the evolution of the series or something.

Because Platinum's previous library isn't anything like I'd want a new Star Fox to be.

With that logic, you could say the same thing about Retro making Donkey Kong just after them finishing Prime 3.

A good developer can tackle just about any genre and play-style and end up with a fantastic game in the end regardless. A group of programmers, designers, artists and musicians aren't inherently tied to one particular genre. They should be ready to work on any sort of game whenever their employers ask them to. The way you present your argument comes across as if you think Platinum as a team of talented individuals is not good enough to develop something new; and it's rather disingenuous to their talent and expertise.

• Thumbs Up 3

With that logic, you could say the same thing about Retro making Donkey Kong just after them finishing Prime 3.

A good developer can tackle just about any genre and play-style and end up with a fantastic game in the end regardless. A group of programmers, designers, artists and musicians aren't inherently tied to one particular genre. They should be ready to work on any sort of game whenever their employers ask them to. The way you present your argument comes across as if you think Platinum as a team of talented individuals is not good enough to develop something new; and it's rather disingenuous to their talent and expertise.

Indeed. Genre experience is always a plus, but it's not a necessity. It's just important that the dev team be hardworking and genuinely care about what the finished product looks like.

Sonic Team's been working on platform games for two decades plus. And they still can't get them right. Genre background is cosmetic, and not the crux of the issue.

If they wanted genre experience for the next star fox game, and wanted it classic style. the only studio left that works in that genre, and has a strong Nintendo relationship Including a shooter IP is treasure, creators of Sin & Punishment series... on the other hand it would be hard as nails, and they have used a Nintendo IP before, back in Nintendo's last active period which was Wario World on the gamecube

kinda surprised Nintendo hasn't considered buying them

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, duh.

Of course they might be able to make a good Star Fox game. I'd still have more trust in the developer that made that type game before, even if their Star Fox also only might be good. Sumo Digital made some good racing titles, but if I want a great FPS, they wouldn't be my first choice, you know?

So, maybe Platinum would make a great Star Fox game that is the way I want it to be and that would be fine. Maybe they'd add something coolfrom their experience in a completely different style of gameplay. But I'd rather someone with experience make it, rather than a team that makes games that are in a style I'd not want for Star Fox.