Awoo.

I think it's time for Shadow the Hedgehog 2

Froggy

(text)

You actually raised very good points, some of which proved me wrong. Would you want a sequel of any capacity if these issues were rectified, or would it be a completely different game to you (much like the 06 debate)? I guess your opening line kind of answers that though hah.

do want to see a Shadow the Hedgehog 2, but only if it moves into intentional satire instead of just being awful. The possibilities are less than endless!!

• Thumbs Up 3

Okay, first off, we can do without a ShTH2. The entire point of the game was to explore Shadow's already explored backstory, and even then it's existence tarnished the franchise's image that was only outdone by Sonic 06. It's much better we not have a sequel so that it doesn't remind anyone of the first one and make them continue to parrot "Sonic hasn't been doing well." Really, do people even think about the consequences of simply the title alone would bring to this franchise? Because the desire of a sequel comes off as very fanboyish, and Shadow is one of my favorite characters.

And second is the gun play. Shadow really doesn't need guns. Not pistols and rifles at least; the only really, really loose exceptions would be a rocket launcher and a sniper rifle, and even then one could argue he doesn't need them. He has more than enough abilities that can serve as a substitute, so it's very redundant to give him guns when his powers can serve the exact same purpose.

ShTH was poorly designed. Were it not for all the problems it served to bring forth, there wouldn't be much resistance to it. But there is no time for a ShTH 2. We already have the first one serve its purpose, and even then it's not like we needed it to be centered on Shadow as the star character instead of sharing the spotlight with others, and any new stories involving Shadow can be implemented into the games with other characters in the spotlight as well.

• Thumbs Up 3

But his personality was the excuse for that new game mechanic, which they added to make him feel different from Sonic.

Problem is, it didn't. The biggest reason it failed was due to it being dark Sonic with a gun.

Beforehand he was basically a re skin, I agree with you there. Shadow was the only game where he didn't feel pointless as a character.

Honestly, I feel the only game that did that was SA2. That's why he was created and really shined.

You actually raised very good points, some of which proved me wrong. Would you want a sequel of any capacity if these issues were rectified, or would it be a completely different game to you (much like the 06 debate)? I guess your opening line kind of answers that though hah.

There's really just...nothing about ShtH that I'd want to follow up on. I don't really like Shadow as a character (not past SA2, anyway). I don't like the series trying to take a darker tone; go much past SA/Unleashed's tone and you lose me. I don't think weapons, or a heavier focus on combat in general, are a good fit for the series (platformers are ultimately about movement, and the best Sonic games have prioritized their unique way of moving over fighting enemies). I struggle to find anything that, even in concept, I'd like to revisit. So...no, I really have no interest in anything that tries to be a ShtH sequel.
  • Thumbs Up 6

I really like Shadow as a game, prefer it to Heroes by miles in fact (though that's not much of a compliment).  But no it really doesn't need a sequel... I don't feel the guns added anything either really.  I just kinda hold B in the vicinity of enemies and stuff dies.  The only reason I use them is because the health bars makes the homing attack slow and boring to use.  The game thankfully has enough fun platforming to hold my attention, and it was nice to have a Sonic game that was just one playstyle all the way through.

Diogenes kind of covered everything perfectly though, even though I don't personally agree with all his points as intensely as he does (like a lot of stuff I agree on but tolerated/had no issue with it).

But yeah, I'm afraid sometimes you just have to appreciate when you're in the minority.  Us fans who enjoyed the game are as such.  Shadow doesn't have the same level of popularity or importance in the series as he used to anyway... partly because of how poorly this game was received, actually.

• Thumbs Up 2

A Shadow the Hedgehog 2?

How about... no.

I absolutely hated everything about this game what with its mundane gun gameplay, tremendously awful vehicle mechanics, monotonous as fuck missions for both hero and dark side, excruciatingly long and boring levels (Looking at you Lost Impact!), its shitty story narrative and writing, amazingly poor attempt at trying to be edgy and sound cool by having the characters randomly swear (It seriously feels like a 12-year-old wrote this script) and completely bastardizing Shadow's character by making his backstory, that was already fine to begin with in Sonic Adventure 2, into an utterly complicated mess and of course; making him related to aliens of all things (Just... why?).

So no, I'm not very fond of the idea for a sequel of this game made. I think it would literally serve no purpose to the character at all and just make things even more of a mess than it already is. It's pointless too, as if the first one wasn't already pointless enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am not a big fan of Shadow although, there is something about that seen in the intro where cartoon shadow is loading a realistic gun, that I like, have no idea what it is though. For those that say shadow would not use guns, why not? I do not think shadow would care how he killed some one. Also shadow is angry most of the time and  Guns make a satisfying bang sound.

I'd love a second StH- he's like my son! -but so long as it's not remotely anything like the original. Because then...it will be awful.

For me, who can only really judge by plot since I've never played by it- it was...horrible. It made no sense and it was constant re-stating and correcting and full of plot holes...and I couldn't stand it. The only things I liked were the opening and ending cutscenes (Super Shadow looked great!) but...that's it.

If Sonic team took a different route, I'd love to see it, but I honestly don't think they will even create a sequel. The game was controversial, with a lot of mixed reception, and I am not sure it sold well...so it wouldn't be Sonic Team's first idea for a new game...

I am not a big fan of Shadow although, there is something about that seen in the intro where cartoon shadow is loading a realistic gun, that I like, have no idea what it is though. For those that say shadow would not use guns, why not? I do not think shadow would care how he killed some one. Also shadow is angry most of the time and  Guns make a satisfying bang sound.

Shadow can use Chaos Control and such, I think it's pointless for him to use a gun, honestly. Rouge doesn't even use guns...Gamma is a gun, however. Also, Shadow isn't...thirsting for the death of humans, so I'm not sure why he would be satisfied with a gunshot?

Wait, where did Shadow ever even get and learn how to use a gun in the first place? Sega, I'm looking at you.

I wouldn't want a Shadow the Hedgehog 2, nor would I see the point of one. The first Shadow the Hedgehog pretty much wrapped up Shadow's entire story arc- Shadow moved on from his past. In '06, it was established that Shadow became a G.U.N agent. He's had two story arcs in two separate games. He's developed as a character and his story is finished. If there are going to be more character spin-offs, then it should be for some of the other characters like Tails, Knuckles, Blaze, etc....Especially Knuckles, who's personality became screwed in later games, and Blaze, because '06 ruined her backstory.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guns? No big deal....as long as they are NOT THE FOCAL POINT!!! The WORST part about Shadow was not the actual game. It the way the game was marketed. It hyped up gunplay to be this MAJOR MAJOR thing and really portrayed in a ridiculous light that already had the "no dark sonic" side of the fandom in a tailspin. If you look closely at Shadow's game, it was something of a semi-satire, poking fun at its own exaggerated over-the-topness for the sake of plain ole destructive fun (I never got why people took such offense to the game...its clear its over the top on purpose lol)

If the guns didn't bring the gameplay to a SCREECHING HALT then yes, I wouldn't mind a return fro them...But overall I would probably use the chaos powers anyway tongue.png

The problem with shadow was that the guns were just....guns.

You picked them up. You fired them. You dropped them after you were done. 

There was nothing more involved or intricate like switching through weapons, or REAL ammunition system. In fact some of the choices were just stupid...like swords and signposts..lol I guess that was to emphasize the destruction lol

Eh if its done right then sure I would play it of course!....but I don't see much of a point in a game like that. Might as well make something like SA3 if you ask me. 

Buuuuut considering how starved the fanbase is for other characters...it would sell like sex flavored cheddar cheese! :D

I only mentioned silly weapons out of curiosity, to find out the main reason people don't want a sequel (I didn't want that at all). Personally I loved blasting soldiers in the face with an SMG. I liked the dark take on Sonic, it was funny (probably unintentionally so) and refreshing.

It baffles me that this idea is so crazy, but Sonic Boom, a.k.a. "Sonic, but not really Sonic" is being praised. If there was no TV series people would just look at it as the Sonic equivalent of that Crash bandicoot game where you ride monsters. Crash was in it but it wasn't even Crash. I'd bet money that Shadow the Hedgehog plays more like a Sonic game than Boom will. 

Shadow as a sub series has purpose, Boom is just redundant and only serves to market the show.

ding ding ding.....

although if you ask me it looked semi-intentional tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah! Let's have a Shadow 2 just as long it's not like the original!

Oh and while at it, let's hope SEGA would bring back Sonic '06 and create a sequel to it! But! But! As long it's not like the original!

Point is, no. Let's not revive bad games. Shadow is a bad game, from start to finish. Let the spin-off die in piece. Because outside of this thread, no one has asked for a sequel to this.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's time for a ShTH2? As in, right now? Whatever gave anyone that impression? Shadow as a character hasn't really been relevant since... oh, '06? They've had practically an entire console generation to dive into his backstory, and to be honest I can't think of a single glaring problem left to address despite ShTH1's asinine plot and the handful of smaller holes it failed to address. Even from an aesthetics and gameplay standpoint there's absolutely nothing left to salvage from the original - it's mud-ugly, controls like shit, teases you with the prospect of high speed platforming before juxtoposing it with the requirement of stopping and taking out every individual enemy in the level (and let's face it, any combat basically requires you to stop anyway, even the gunplay) and ultimately only exists to cater to a moronic demograph of preteens - most of which have since grown up and learnt to see through such pessimistic sell-outs.

Besides that, I'm not even convinced Sega is equipped to handle character spinoffs period at the moment - their focus within the franchise is already spastic and scattered all over the place as is, not the least of which due to introducing an entire secondary canon in the form of Boom. If there's ever a good time to distract oneself further with needless gimmicks and glory hogging with creator's pets, it certaintly isn't now.

I honestly think Shadow the Hedgehog already got a sequel in the form of Sonic 06. Most of the game's plot in terms of events of actual importance revolved around him vs. Mephiles, and Shadow's gameplay was merely an expansion of what Shadow the Hedgehog did-more guns, more vehicles, more Chaos powers.

Needless to say, both games suck, Sonic 06 even moreso because it is an unfinished heap of coding diarrhea, and I don't think Shadow needs another game (at least not in the vein of those games) anytime soon if not ever. And I'm speaking as a guy who owns and doesn't really dislike the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nope.

The original killed any hope for a sequel.

As a result of the original ShTH, people wince at the thought of Shadow being a side-character. I mean, people maligned his mere presence in Generations. Unless the sequel is comparable in quality to Super Mario Galaxy, people will go into the game from a negative mindset, expecting to hate everything about it. Anything that's actually good, will be overpowered by the lingering disgust at the original.

I mean, people can't even talk about new SONIC games, without reference to how bad 06 (and oddly, even ShTH) were. 

The presence of any side-character with the exception of Tails and maybe Knuckles, causes critics to start crying foul for no real reason, other than the fact that they're there. Even if those characters are written well into the story, or play well, people will still complain, because they were bad.

Time. The franchise needs time to reinvent itself. The fact that Colours and Generations were well received despite being of questionable quality to some fans, by virtue of simply being FUN to play, with nothing that breaks that fun, is a good thing. Lost World just forced the franchise back a couple steps.

I do wanna say that Shadow wielding guns in his game didn't really bother me. Thinking about it now, it really doesn't make sense why he would even need them, but it's just not something I can get worked up over.

Besides that, I'm not even convinced Sega is equipped to handle character spinoffs period at the moment - their focus within the franchise is already spastic and scattered all over the place as is, not the least of which due to introducing an entire secondary canon in the form of Boom. If there's ever a good time to distract oneself further with needless gimmicks and glory hogging with creator's pets, it certaintly isn't now.

If Sonic's focus is so "spastic," maybe more spin-offs would be a good thing. It would allow Sega to explore other playstyles and give other characters the spotlight. Want Sonic to stick to the boost? Then make Sonic's next game another boost game where you hit speeds previously thought to be impossible, and use parkour in a Shadow sequel. Does Sega want to make another RPG? Give it to Blaze. Action adventure with lots of puzzle-solving? Make it The Adventures of the Chaotix. 

One of the many problems with Shadow the Hedgehog (which I do enjoy, actually) is that Sonic's still in it, which makes it seem more like a more warped Sonic game than a true spin-off. Like I said earlier, I'm not sure doing the game in a more Jak 2-esque style would have made it any more successful, but to do so and remove all the other Sonic characters might have helped. Like, limit the amount of Sonic characters to Shadow himself, Rouge and Omega, and you could make the game as dark and edgy as you damn well please, maybe bump that rating all the way up to T.  Make Mephiles the main antagonist after Black Doom, and make Elise Shadow's love interest that turns into a hedgehog at the end a la Jak 3. Then, people could say, "It's Shadow's game, not Sonic's," and be completely right.

...You know what? I actually wouldn't mind seeing a Shadow sequel if it was like the game I just described.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just because Sonic isn't in the game doesn't mean its still not associated with anything else Sonic related. A true spin-off doesn't require that you have to make it completely opposite from the main series stuff, it requires that you do something "different" or offer some new ideas that you'd want to risk in this side-game while still keeping the series identity.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd actually really love if Sega decided to pursue ShtH a spin-off series.

• Thumbs Up 3

I liked Shadow myself but think a sequel wouldn't go too well. I had no problem with the guns (except a few rocket launchers) and did genuinly enjoy most levels. The story was so serious...ly goofy that I just loved it. This game isn't even a guilty pleasure, I just enjoy it. Sadly I think a new Shadow game would be counter productive to Sega after all their hard work (which they threw away anyway with Lost World) but if it must be true, just make the controls less slippy. Also no shiny Shadow. Also give him the ability to hold two guns like a boss :-p

If Sonic's focus is so "spastic," maybe more spin-offs would be a good thing.

What? No it wouldn't. The absolute last thing you should be doing in the middle of an identity crisis - the worst it's ever been since ShTH, for that matter - is to give the franchise more fucking identities. That just splits and divides the developer's focus, the fandoms they're expected to cater to (and of which are already greatly splintered enough as it is) and just further pushes the idea that nobody even knows what the fuck a Sonic game is anymore.

No more gimmicks, no more focus tests, no more of this pessimistic goddamned bowing down to every whim regardless of context. Just make a fucking Sonic game and let the levels do the talking for once. Why is this so hard?

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm ready for a Shadow the Hedgehog 2. Shadow deserves a sequel.

I really hope to see Shadow in Sonic Boom, be it in the games, tv show, or both.

I don't really see why Sega would bother with a sequel, I mean what else is there to cover about Shadow that requires a sequel? Nothing really comes to mind.

ShTH itself was a pretty bad game that had potential, much like 06 really, they were just ridiculously badly handled.

In shadow's case when I first played it I was actualy looking forward to see how his past was, I wanted to know the kind of relationship he had with Gerald and Maria who was so dear to him, and how the whole ark and his creation was in overal. But instead I get some weird aliens going all Darth Vader on Shadow and this middle aged idiot from the military and then all kind of wars ensues.

Meanwhile you're playing with a character that has enough power to perform chaos control on the whole Ark and is almost as fast as Sonic but now on this game he uses guns to defeat enemies and rides cars to get by instead. I just really find it plain dumb, there was absolutely no need for them both, theyre kind of those dumb extras that you only use if you're bored enough to do so or if it really makes your life easier. The game was really trying to take itself too seriously but what happened instead was that it looked silly really to the point it was so edgy it became funny at times. Like how am I suposed to take seriously a hedgehog riding a motorbike thats too big for him and then using guns?

And then of course there's the bad level design, bad controls.. and such. It felt like a really rushed game. I'd gladly welcome a remake of it but properly done, but as we all know that isn't happening, thats just making the same game twice almost.

So yeah I guess the best thing to do its to just let it be to be honest, it was a bad game and lets leave it at that.

I'm not sure if it makes sense to forbid another Shadow game on the grounds that we already know his entire backstory.  I'm pretty sure his backstory was already all known before the original Shadow game, and it didn't stop them from making up a bunch more nonsense.  But I just don't think "answering questions about Shadow" is really the hook for a game about him; if you're playing a game about Shadow, it's to do what he does best, which is to go around being antiheroic and growling at people.  You can make up any number of reasons for him to do so, and if people were going to buy it, they'd buy it because it was a Shadow adventure.  His backstory isn't a crucial element.

For that matter, it's pretty easy to handwave why he'd be using guns and vehicles; just say that he was depowered by some mysterious force, and as the game goes on he starts getting his powers back and they start being more useful than guns and vehicles.  I don't mean to say that a game with Shadow pointing guns at people and driving motorbikes is actually a good idea or something that would be fun, I just think it shouldn't be difficult to justify.

I guess I should clarify that I'm not arguing for another Shadow game; I do think it would be a bad idea and that the time has passed, if it ever was.  I just think it's interesting as a thought experiment to try and make it work.

The problem, however, is that at this point why make a Shadow game for him alone when you can go the S3&K/Adventure route and have a game with him and other characters playable? And if it's to make a game for one character, why Shadow and not Sonic? What are you going to do to make it unique enough to warrant it being a character-centric spin-off?

I'm very mixed on the idea of giving any character their own game. Not because I don't believe it can't work, but mainly because, aside from the identity crisis this series has, we can give a character a game in conjunction with other playable characters who could benefit from it. So I see very little point in a game solely for Shadow or anyone other than Sonic as the key character unless you're going to split the spotlight.

What? No it wouldn't. The absolute last thing you should be doing in the middle of an identity crisis - the worst it's ever been since ShTH, for that matter - is to give the franchise more fucking identities. That just splits and divides the developer's focus, the fandoms they're expected to cater to (and of which are already greatly splintered enough as it is) and just further pushes the idea that nobody even knows what the fuck a Sonic game is anymore.

No more gimmicks, no more focus tests, no more of this pessimistic goddamned bowing down to every whim regardless of context. Just make a fucking Sonic game and let the levels do the talking for once. Why is this so hard?

The whole point of my post was that a Shadow sequel wouldn't be a Sonic game, and just it's own thing. Maybe I just don't fully understand the concept of a spin-off. I just thought I'd be good for Sega to put all their "dark energy" and new ideas (like the parkour) there rather than a real Sonic game.

And you're saying Sega should just stop farting around and make a Sonic game, which seems to imply that you didn't care for Lost World (correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't see any other reason you'd feel Sonic's in an "identity crisis"). If you don't like it, that's fine, but I really enjoyed the game, and I don't have any real problems with Sega trying something new again. But, you know, with Sonic Boom coming out soon, maybe Sega will have Sonic Team stick to one thing rather than continue on "scattering their focus." That, or we'll get better consistency with the Boom games.

But, you know what? I didn't mean to start anything. It's not like it really matters, since its highly unlikely Sega will give Shadow a sequel, or even give him any focus again.