Awoo.

Sonic Adventure LCD Game

Sr101

I'll have a massive video on all the info and gameplay I can get by the end of the week, so regardless of what comes out before then, I'll make sure we've got some HD gameplay soon :)

capturing gameplay now, gotta say, while it's obviously a very basic game and the gameplay and graphics are really simple, the amount they managed to cram into this thing is really impressive.

There's the seven levels, each of which have different graphics and enemies and there's bosses between each stage, which, although again, are simple battles, do require at least some small amount of strategy. It even has things like the tornadoes in misty valley and the rockets that carry you to new areas.

So pumped to own this. Like I said I grew up with Adventure 1, and I LOVE it, so this "portable" version is like a dream for me :P

We'll need to get this news'd. This is actually important for documenting every corner of the Sonic franchise.

Video should be up in the next couple hours, it's rendering as I type. Pretty happy with the quality, my camera's not the best but it managed to capture the LCD screen pretty well.

Vid's just under the half hour mark. I wanted to try and show off as much of the game as possible so I've some footage of all the levels and each of the boss fights.

• Thumbs Up 1

Watching iDeath's video...and wow, considering how basic (and crappy, if AVGN is to go by) most Tiger games are, this one had absolutely right to be this good. o_O

I don't mean it like it /literally/ doesn't have a right to be good, let alone amazing; but damn for a Tiger game this is downright impressive. Aside from level having different graphics and enemies per level and faithful sound effects, there are even in-level "transitions"  that shows things like Sonic interacting with stuff like in the official game. Emerald Coast has graphics that show Sonic going through a loop-de-loop (still in the "Outrun-esque" on-rails perspective) and Sonic bouncing off springs (which is shown in a 2D perspective).

Considering some of the LCD games I've played and own... this looks like it's the ICO/Shadow of the Colossus of LCD games. 

• Thumbs Up 5

I didn't even know you could get LCD games to be any semblance of fully playable psuedo-3D. I'm pretty shocked. Kudos to the guys who designed this thing! Looks like it deserves a bit more attention for it's technical prowess than most games of this category.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eggman sounds like he's doing an impression of an extra from a Kung-Fu movie when he's hit.

I bet this is on Game.com tech only with a smaller res-screen (Game.com was 200x160, just below GBA's 240x160). Hell Nintendo should ask Tiger (do they still exist?) and Sega if they can make it a Game.com VC game on 3DS for like $2. Or just make it a full-on VC game as its own thing where the 3DS menu screen is the machine itself, like how VC game show the handheld and console they were on, same with Sega's 3D Classics often showing the actual arcade board, fucking nuts.

This to me is too well done to just be forgotten forever, like I said, Nintendo should consider a very cheap VC release, if ANYTHING by Tiger.

Actually I also wonder how they got Game & Watch games on DSiWare when they were on Dot Matrix screens and not LCD, they would've had to have been rebuilt from scratch.

By the way, I can do some more rips if I had some uber HD camera screens. I'd like to see the shot you immediately see when you start Emerald Coast (the first level).

• Thumbs Up 1

WOW. I'm very excited too play this now.

When I do my playthrough that I consider obligated to do considering I'm lucky enough to have one, I'm gonna throw some midi-tunes over the gameplay footage :)

Wow! That's impressive for an LCD game, none of the LCD games I ever played were this good. I'm especially impressed by the sound which, at least from the video, sounded pretty good.

Here's a batch of pics of the machine itself.

Spoilered for size

DSCN4349_zpseab7b142.jpg

DSCN4350_zps5b5f1585.jpg

DSCN4351_zps1bbffa2e.jpg

DSCN4353_zps8912301d.jpg

DSCN4354_zps3a2a7ea5.jpg

DSCN4355_zps86f7e275.jpg

DSCN4357_zps784c594c.jpg

Just played it for the first time! 

You never mentioned the spin dash did you? I'll have to show that in my video :P

It's very fun and actually could be considered the first portable 3D sonic game :P

Just played it for the first time! 

You never mentioned the spin dash did you? I'll have to show that in my video tongue.png

It's very fun and actually could be considered the first portable 3D sonic game tongue.png

Pretty sure I showed the spin attack toward the start of the video. I ended up using the homing attack more though as it's a little better at dodging enemies....not that either attack is particularly reliable.

Ah, that you did!

Well, the spin dash may not be as powerful or reliable as the games, but it certainly adds a little more strategy which as you mentioned is incredible for a game like this!

Well, here's a super-quick first impressions on my end!

I added some music, which may be a bit loud haha... but still, gameplay is gameplay!

and on this thing... it sure is scarce smile.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, that's a lot more than I'd ever expect for an LCD game, and has some surprising accuracy to certain things.

Though, I gotta say, I never seen dudes get so pumped for an LCD game. lol

• Thumbs Up 1

@iDEATH Great video man. Really enjoyed it, and I am pretty sure you really are the only one on the internet who's put footage up.

And of course yours as well Sr101.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, that's actually really damn impressive for an LCD game! Usually when somebody says 'LCD game', I think of those crappy McDonalds ones. Especially the Sonic Heroes ones.