Awoo.

SEGA: Sonic Lost World 710k

Autosaver

Remember when people were doubting Nintendo and SEGA's partnership? Well.. apparently the low start in sales actually ended up shipping 710k. This happened with Sonic Generations for 3DS. People said it was a flop because they looked at starting sales, but it ended up beating other platforms in the long run. I know there's a difference between shipped and sold, but the numbers shouldn't be very far from each other so it's pointless to argue the difference. I expect Sonic Lost World to add even more sales and possibly reach 1 million ship total worldwide. For a game that was more on the low budget side, this should be pretty decent for SEGA.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/05/sonic-lost-world-now-at-710000-copies-shipped-worldwide-as-of-march-31st-2014/

Uh, I'm sorry, but aren't those figures rather low?

I mean, I know it's WiiU and all, but for a big brand like Sonic...uh, shouldn't a release on two platforms rake in a few more sales than that?

• Thumbs Up 1

Uh, I'm sorry, but aren't those figures rather low?

Not for the WiiU.

Thats up there with the other big name 3rd party franchises. Upper echelon even.

If you measure the game by its environment, that's pretty much where you would think it would end up. Right around the other non-Nintendo big name stuff.

I have two questions, and keep in mind this is from someone who really likes the game and is always happy to see people who like it as well:

1) Does it really matter?

2) Do you care for any reason other than console war bullshit?

• Thumbs Up 2

Not for the WiiU.

This is the Wii U and the 3DS. That's two systems, one of which has a huge userbase.

At the end of the day though, this kinda comes across as bragging, I mean, even though the numbers aren't worth bragging about.

Seems kinda pointless making a topic in the long run.

In line with the above, I'd really like if they split the sales numbers.

The fact they're bundling them, in fact, makes me ponder if the Wii U sales are just that embarrassing.

I don't think retailers can return copies that are shipped (as a retailer myself, I can tell you the price of wholesale stuff tends to come with the drawback that they are REALLY strict on returns), however, so SEGA is profiting off every unit shipped, even if it sits and rots on a store shelf.

I think SEGA likely turned a small profit on Lost World, which is ultimately what matters in the long run. They just have to make sure that they make a much larger profit on other titles.