Awoo.

Sony E3 Press Conference 2014 - June 9th, 18:00 PST / 21:00 EST / 02.00 BST

Brad

Monday, June 9th

18:00PM PST / 21:00PM EST / 02:00AM BST (June 10th) 

Official Stream | Gametrailers | Eurogamer | IGN | UStream

Welcome to the Sony E3 2014 Conference thread! We have existing topics for the other two, it's only suitable we have on for Sony right? Sony's conference was recently dated for 9th June at 6pm PT, and is set to reveal a lot of existing and new titles for the Playstation 4, Playstation 3 and (hopefully) Playstation Vita, including existing big names like the upcoming Uncharted 4. Audiences have been given the chance to see it streamed live in select cinemas (check out the above video), and invites have gone out to the press for the event. This thread is for discussion, hopes and speculation regarding the conference and what they'll show off, and eventual reaction when the day comes around. 

Looking for other E3 conference times, and their threads?

At least half of these franchises must make an appearance in this year's E3 minimum...

4Stxmlj.png

Plus give out surprises like a Ape Escape (not a PS Camera/Move game) or a MediEvil return! Crash maybe?

Or a new (non-realistic) IP that is fun and exciting! Knack is a nice attempt, if Sony's going to make a sequel of it, it has be 10x better than the original...

• Thumbs Up 7

Crash won't happen. That was the most realistic part of the "leak". =P I wouldn't mind if it did, though. Diversity is good.

I'd prefer a new Jak & Daxter. Doesn't need to be made by ND or anything, doesn't even have to be for PS4. Sanzaru did Sly justice, so why not try them out here? I'd rather it be more like the first, so without guns and lame Jak design. Reboot it if you need to. Or not. I just feel that nowadays Sony has enough series targeted at older audiences that Jak doesn't need that edginess. I should say I've never played 3 or Lost Frontier, so I don't know how things changed there. Heck, maybe if I replayed the series my opinion would change.

New Ratchet & Clank would also be nice. I hope that the two are together the whole time, though. That was one of my only complaints for ACiT. Sly I have to still play 4, so I can wait. LBP, I hope they bring the level editor further to what that upcoming Xbox game seems to be. The platform levels weren't that fun. Though, I only played some of the first game, so maybe it improved.

Excited to see more of Uncharted 4. I recently played through 3 for the first time and really enjoyed it. It felt like an ending for the series, so I want to see where they'll go after that.

Crash won't happen. That was the most realistic part of the "leak". =P I wouldn't mind if it did, though. Diversity is good.

There's still that teasing in the PS4 trailer though: normally i would say too it's not gonna happen, but it's clear that signpost was made on purpose.

• Thumbs Up 1

Demon's Souls 2, TLG, and a couple more new IP unveils. That's all I want. Bonus points if one of the IPs is an internally developed JRPG, but that's more of a TGS thing.

Rest of the conference can be sales gloating, content for already announced games (U4, Order, Rime, etc.), the usual 3rd party segment with Ubi / Activision doing excessively long live demos (+exclusive mission DLC announcements), Ono with a fabulous shirt talking about Deep Down's Panty Raid engine, social media bullshit and the usual tripe.

Oh, and I'll pay good money to see a live demonstration of MM staff painstakingly crafting a VR dragon dildo in their new game.

Heh, the dragon dildo thing is still funny years later.

Anyways, I just hope it's worth watching once they get the sales and other stuff out of the way like last year. Seriously Sony, I don't care about your movies at E3.

Anyone here want to see a new Sly game even though the last one came out just last year?

Considering that Thieves in Time had a cliffhanger unresolved (points for not cashing in with DLC though) count me in.

There's still that teasing in the PS4 trailer though: normally i would say too it's not gonna happen, but it's clear that signpost was made on purpose.

I doubt it has any more meaning than being a Crash cameo in a video showcasing PlayStation's past and future.

I want to see Project Beast and The Last Guardian. Those are the two things that will make this show god-tier for me. Spiritual sequels to the greatest games I've ever played, with all the benefits of them being brand new IPs. Nothing Nintendo or Microsoft show will match up to either of these for me, nor will any other Sony game that isn't made by Naughty Dog.

A Persona 5 reveal would be fantastic, as well as more footage of Final Fantasy XV and Deep Down.

As for Crash, Ratchet, and Jak... eh. I'd be happy to see Crash the most purely because of the amount of imagination that could go into a complete revitalization of the franchise. Ratchet I've lost interest in after the decline in quality since A Crack in Time (I didn't bother buying Nexus), and Jak would have to be made by Naughty Dog to have my full attention, but I'd much rather they make something else instead.

Naughty Dog originally were going to make a new Jak & Daxter a few years ago, but the project ended up being turned into The Last of Us. The concepts looked really cool, but had that happened, I wouldn't have gotten the masterpiece that is TLoU. Naughty Dog is one of the few developers who I feel is capable of crafting a truly mature (and by this I mean actually mature, not blood and tits), extremely high quality narrative, and I'd much rather they work on whatever it is they feel passionate to make than a return to their cartoony days.

Frankly I just have very little interest in cartoony games aside from Sonic these days. Putting a team like Naughty Dog on something like Crash would feel like a huge missed opportunity to me. There are exceptions of course, like the possibility of a new Parrappa which would be sweet, but I'm really not chomping at the bit for a new Sly or Ratchet. I didn't buy the newest installments in either franchise, and I most likely wouldn't buy any new ones beyond that. My interest lies more with... well, pretty much everything else. "Realistic" is a very broad label for a ton of things.

Considering that Thieves in Time had a cliffhanger unresolved (points for not cashing in with DLC though) count me in.

Ditto.

It would be nice if nothing else to hear they have a sequel planned for 2015. Or failing that, for 2016 to coincide with the new film.

I imagine Sony will have all sorts of interesting things in store given their massive expansion into video game films recently.

With regards to a Sly 5... I can't help but ponder if they'll find some way to pander to the fact Tennessee Cooper has an obscene amount of popularity, to the point he has more awesome fanart than Sly himself. Given the likelihood of more time travel and the fact Tennessee's timeline remained altered...

They probably won't, but Tenny fanboys like me can dream. SEGA cashed in on Shadow's popularity, why wouldn't Sanzaru on Tennessee's?

The gifs are starting aleady.....

iKrEzh3Bl9oMr.gif

Also something I can guarantee will be shown, PS4 version of TLOU. It's released a few weeks after the conference, no way it won't be shown.

Could there be a verrrrrry slight chance they'll divulge some more details about the film?

I mean the game pretty much already is a film so they could show a trailer for that and it would be hard to tell the difference...

I mean, last year Sony's movie lineup wasn't really that impressive. But with all the films they've dropped in the last year, I can't imagine their conference will go ENTIRELY without mention of these films, given they're based in video games.

Investors do like to hear you're diversifying, particularly if you have a good marketing strategy.

• Thumbs Up 1

I doubt it. E3 is still about games, not movies. They're more likely to appear at a future Comic Con.

I doubt it. E3 is still about games, not movies.

Tell that to Microsoft :P

Despite what people like to pretend, Microsoft showed plenty of games last year.

If you're referencing the Halo TV show, I'm pretty sure that was at the Xbox One reveal event.

"E3 is the world's premier trade show for computer and video games and related products."

From their official about page. E3 is primarily about video games, but things related to it are more than welcome, it sounds like.

Even if it's just a passing mention, I wouldn't doubt that toys and films related to games get some exposure. Why else would they let merchandise retailers like myself in? I don't buy games, just toys that are related to them.

I guess I'll have to see for myself in a month...

Despite what people like to pretend, Microsoft showed plenty of games last year.

If you're referencing the Halo TV show, I'm pretty sure that was at the Xbox One reveal event.

This. I have no idea where this supposed narrative is coming from - Microsoft easily had the best show last year as far as game output goes. Tons of surprises and new IPs, good looking sequels, etc. They'd have easily been commonly proclaimed the winner if not for the DRM elephant in the room.

If Sony talks about a movie or two this year, they should at least talk about the R&C movie. 

My Possible things they might announce on the PS4 could include the PlayStation Now and some more.... Maybe a Price Drop! tongue.png I might watch it if I can, it's on 9 PM EDT but I hope I get that chance.

Hey, if they're going to be announcing exclusives...

Agent-Logo.jpg

There is still hope.

If Sony talks about a movie or two this year, they should at least talk about the R&C movie.

I'd hope so. It's coming out next year. They could announce some of their plans for the wider Ratchet brand. No film is complete without a line of merch to accompany it, after all!

Ratchet's also got extra importance because if I'm not mistaken, he's the first of Sony's massive gaming film lineup to come out. He's going to set the bar. As these are films ultimately built for gamers despite popular appeal, it would make sense to get some enthusiasm going for them.

Exactly what I mean. If Sony talks about movies like last year, focus more on the game-based movies at E3 and other films at Comic-Con.

• Thumbs Up 1

My Possible things they might announce on the PS4 could include the PlayStation Now and some more.... Maybe a Price Drop! tongue.png I might watch it if I can, it's on 9 PM EDT but I hope I get that chance.

Don't hold your breath for a price drop. It won't happen for a long time.

I KINDA want them to make the Vita Slim a standalone product in the US but the bundles will probably always come with 8 GB cards, so it's not a bad deal. Just gotta find someone who would buy the game code if you don't want it.