Awoo.

Who are the bad guys?

HyperShadic

I hadn't considered Nack at all, but Boom would be the perfect place to bring him back.  He even fits the setting, and they probably wouldn't have to change his design much either.  Fingers crossed.

• Thumbs Up 1

And Mephilies? Hah, no. He could have been an interesting character, but his actions in 06 and the quality of the game as a whole pretty much doomed him from the start.

If you ask me, the biggest reason Mephiles probably won't show up in Sonic Boom is because he was a oneshot character in the main series. NextGen could have been the best Sonic game ever, and it still wouldn't increase his chances.

But if Sonic 06 had been good, he might not have necessarily been a one-time character.

Look at Shadow, they brought him back.

Shadow was a popular character, Mephiles was no where near as popular and being a villain in "2006" already had ruined his chances of coming back.

But if Sonic 06 had been good, he might not have necessarily been a one-time character.

Look at Shadow, they brought him back.

I'm pretty sure they intended for Shadow to be a replica of the original, and when they decided to make him the same one from SA2 they came up with a reasonable explanation. Mephiles on the other hand was deleted from the timeline at the end of NextGen. How exactly do you bring someone back from that?

Any number of asspull explanations, same as for Shadow. Even just "well you didn't really destroy him, and now he's back for revenge!" could be enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

Metal Sonic seems kind of likely as there's been a bit of talk from Stephen, I think. 

Mephiles...no. I can't see that, or any reason as to why, considering his arc is over, and his appearance would need some pretty serious explaining. Also...I don't think SEGA would allow that..

Deadly six, no. They've only just appeared, and for a whole new universe it just doesn't seem to fit. Maybe a cameo, since it's an Adventure game, but...that's as far as I can see them going.

Any number of asspull explanations, same as for Shadow. Even just "well you didn't really destroy him, and now he's back for revenge!" could be enough.

Yeah, I don't think anyone would accept that. The explanation for Shadow's revival actually made sense: Eggman was able to recover him and then restored him to full health before creating multiple replicas of him. It doesn't require any suspension of disbelief, nor does it contradict anything that was established beforehand. Meanwhile, we actually saw Elise put out the sacred fire, making the creation of Solaris (and therefore Mephiles) impossible. The only way he could "come back for revenge" is through a plot hole.

Time travel and time travel powers are basically plothole incarnate. And considering '06's Last Story basically puts spacetime in a blender, "turns out he's not dead" is fully within the realm of possibility.

And it's not as if '06 erasing itself stopped them from bringing back Crisis City, after all.

Time travel and time travel powers are basically plothole incarnate.

I know, that's why I hate when people use it in a story.

And considering '06's Last Story basically puts spacetime in a blender, "turns out he's not dead" is fully within the realm of possibility.

Not really, since even the last story was deleted. The only things that actually happened were Elise preventing the Solaris Project, and the Sun Festival at the end.

And it's not as if '06 erasing itself stopped them from bringing back Crisis City, after all.

Generations isn't canon.

Since an alternate dimension episode has been pretty much confirmed I think it would be interesting to see Scourge or some kind of evil Sonic in Boom

Interesting as that would be, it doesn't sound very likely. Scourge himself would be impossible of course, since using him would result in litigation from his so-called "owner". In fact, I wouldn't put it past him to sue if he even thinks there's a character based on Scourge.

Not really, since even the last story was deleted. The only things that actually happened were Elise preventing the Solaris Project, and the Sun Festival at the end.

Again, time travel=plothole bullshit. You can't "prove" that it's impossible for Mephiles to still somehow exist because it's all made up bullshit, and if they wanted to say it worked that way, you wouldn't have any way to argue that it didn't.

Generations isn't canon.

So? They still managed to "blah blah time travel" it into the game. If it was canon they wouldn't have to change a thing.

Generations isn't canon.

SEGA says otherwise.

Well, I really would have liked to see Eggman as the main threat, but it seems BRB is going with the "monster of the week" Sonic element. Mind you,it doesn't fully bother me, but I hope the mustachioed Doctor is at least a credible threat that doesn't get overthrown by whatever this ancient enemy is. Something along the lines of him controlling the Time Eater in Generations would be appreciated, but actually be developed well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Again, time travel=plothole bullshit. You can't "prove" that it's impossible for Mephiles to still somehow exist because it's all made up bullshit, and if they wanted to say it worked that way, you wouldn't have any way to argue that it didn't.

No. Time travel does not excuse plot holes. And like I already said, any "plothole bullshit" in NextGen is non-canon!

So? They still managed to "blah blah time travel" it into the game. If it was canon they wouldn't have to change a thing.

If they wanted to avoid contradicting their own continuity, they most definitely would.

SEGA says otherwise.

In that case, how did Eggman get out of Whitespace? Why didn't Sonic and Tails have any memory of the game's events? Suspension of disbelief can only take me so far, you know.

No. Time travel does not excuse plot holes.

Time travel doesn't excuse plotholes, but it's a breeding ground for them. Or rather/also, where plotholes go to die, because it's a load of made-up bullshit that can mean whatever they want it to mean, and by that explain away any plotholes regarding it.

If they wanted to avoid contradicting their own continuity, they most definitely would.

What "continuity" are they breaking? No one knows time travel actually works, because it's not a real thing. So the writers decide how it works for the story, and if they say the Time Eater can pull Crisis City out of its own ass you have no authority to say it can't.

In that case, how did Eggman get out of Whitespace? Why didn't Sonic and Tails have any memory of the game's events?

These are plotholes at best, and plotholes don't make a thing not canon.
  • Thumbs Up 1

There is no canon. SEGA just throw random adventures of Sonic out there. They don't care whether it fits in with some sort of grand scheme.

Also, comparing Shadow's return to a hypothetical return of Mephilles doesn't really work since Shadow was a good guy by the end of SA2. These kind of bad guys don't tend to return. Deadly Six most likely won't return either.

• Thumbs Up 3

Since an alternate dimension episode has been pretty much confirmed I think it would be interesting to see Scourge or some kind of evil Sonic in Boom

I agree.

Though perhaps not scourge, maybe an entirely new character. Mind you, Metal Sonic already is a counterpart of sonic. Perhaps a much eviler counterpart (Dark Sonic)?

Scourge most likely won't be in since he's kind of in an awkward spot in the comic because of the whole Penders lawsuit. He's one of the character Penders claimed he made despite Ian's "retooling" of the character.

Scourge most likely won't be in since he's kind of in an awkward spot in the comic because of the whole Penders lawsuit. He's one of the character Penders claimed he made despite Ian's "retooling" of the character.

I'm pretty sure that any villain from the comics is going to be a "no show" in this universe.

• Thumbs Up 4

Though perhaps not scourge, maybe an entirely new character. Mind you, Metal Sonic already is a counterpart of sonic. Perhaps a much eviler counterpart (Dark Sonic)?

I...don't think so.

Scourge is owned by Penders and I don't think SEGA wants to deal with that again.

Shadow is, though not a Sonic counterpart, essentially a 'dark' Sonic, with his scheme and person that is completely opposite of Sonic, basically.

And personally, I'd like to see something fresh. Something designed for THIS game. Not something that's been floating around in fan'd heads and fanfictions and stuff...though I'll take metal sonic.

In that case, how did Eggman get out of Whitespace?

He found the door, plain and simple.

Why didn't Sonic and Tails have any memory of the game's events?

I spy, a plothole. Unless time travel works like the Star Trek films and Generations has created a new timeline. Either way, the official words of SEGA are that Generations is canon.

In regards to the Deadly Six, I wouldn't want to see them in Boom for a while, purely because they were just in a game. They were also handled pretty poorly in that game, just seeming like obstacles and not villains with real depth. If they do eventually come back, it would be better if they fleshed them out a bit and gave them more personality besides overused stereotypes.

Also, I kind of think having them almost always separate from each other might be a good way to go, though they are still in allegiance. This might give each member some time in the spotlight, which was lacking in Lost World. Then maybe have them come together in one episode to try and stop Sonic & co once and for all.

• Thumbs Up 1

The only recurring villains I expect to see in Boom are Eggman and Metal Sonic, mainly because this is a universe that aims to separate itself from the events and thus these one-shot villains' reason for existing of the main universe as much as possible. If I were in charge of something to that extent, Mephiles, the Deadly Six, and especially Archie characters would be the farthest characters from my mind in terms of populating the universe. The creative freedom trends more towards creating villains that more fit the aesthetics of the new universe.

• Thumbs Up 5