Awoo.

The Neon Genesis Evangelion Thread

DocAzure

Evangelion_Logo.png

Neon Genesis Evangelion is a Japanese science fantasy mecha dystopia genre anime series, that originally aired from October 1995 to March 1996. The 26 episodes were created by the studio Gainax, and was both written and directed by Hideaki Anno.

The series is set in a futuristic Tokyo, fifteen years after a world wide cataclysm. It follows Shinji, a teenage boy who is recruited by the shadowy organization NERV to pilot a giant bio-machine called an Evangelion, in combat against monstrous beings known as angels. The series explores the experiences of the other Eva pilots, and the NERV staff, as they fight to prevent another catastrophe. 

The series has received two feature films, and a teratology is currently ongoing, titled The Rebuild of Evangelion, which retells the events of the series in a different way.  

Enough wikipedia copy-pasting, I feel like sprouting my own opinions.

Character_Cast_(NGE).png

This series was, and still is, fantastic. It's easy to dismiss it from the outset as just another 'mecha anime', like Gundam, but that would be wrong, oh so very wrong. Most happenings in this series have deeper meaning, and it's clearly intended for a more mature audience, something you wouldn't really expect from something set around 'robots' (I...twitch a little when they get called that) fighting 'monsters'. If you go into this expecting simple stuff, please don't. You'll be left confused. As yes, while the action scenes and animation is superb, the deeper meaning, the emotional weight, really hits you as the most important aspect.

My personal experience is one of, at first vague curiosity, and then full blown interest. This reached a peak in the 'series finale', End of Evangelion. I'd heard that this film was rather strange, but I didn't expect it to break me down like that. This film screwed with me, and I both simultaneously despise and love Anno for this. Was I satisfied, nope. Did I care, yes, yes I did care. If you're not prepared, it'll hit really hard. 

Basically you should go watch this now, because it's a classic anime, up there with the likes of Bebop and Akira. Rebuild is something I plan to touch on soon, as I'm curious to see what they change with the story.

So, guys, what do you think about Neon Genesis Evangelion?

• Thumbs Up 9

I'll tell you how I feel about it as soon as Shinji gets in the damn robot.

• Thumbs Up 6

Neon Genesis Evangelion is a great show with a realistic portrayal of how everyone becomes a fucked-up asshole in a post-apocalyptic scenario.

Rebuild of Evangelion is the Michael Bay adaptation with the character development gutted but much better explosions.

There, a quick opinion :V If I feel like writing more later I will (NGE is seriously one of my favourite and most nostalgic shows)

• Thumbs Up 1

Watches movies the first time.

Oh well... That was confusing... Maybe I just skipped some info?

Watches movies a second time.

How... Odd... I'm pretty sure I got all the info... Maybe... Huh..?

Watches movies a seventh time.

End-of-Evangelion1.jpg?w=600&h=0&zc=1&s=

• Thumbs Up 2

The rebuilds? They're good movies, but Evangelion really isn't a franchise where you can go "I'll watch the movies instead of the show" like the original Gundam or something. Try watching the show instead of the movies an eight time, then :V

Watches movies the first time.

Oh well... That was confusing... Maybe I just skipped some info?

Watches movies a second time.

How... Odd... I'm pretty sure I got all the info... Maybe... Huh..?

Watches movies a seventh time.

End-of-Evangelion1.jpg?w=600&h=0&zc=1&s=

Watches movies a twentieth time.

vlcsnap-2011-06-03-14h46m09s107.jpg

• Thumbs Up 7

I'm always torn with Eva because it's so good but I also feel like you spend the majority of the time having no idea what was going on.

• Thumbs Up 1

Incidentally, anyone with lore doubts RE: the original show is welcome to pass by EvaGeeks' wiki, where they've documented pretty much everything from sourcebooks, the pitch book, the games, etc. to a point where pretty much everything in the show makes sense, actually.

I personally do not care for this, but feel Shinji is underappreciated. At least some of the music held my attention.

Hey, I've always wondered, is it pronounced ee-van-gel-ee-an or ee-van-gilly-un?

I've always said the former, probably due to the fact that it's more natural in my accent.

Hey, I've always wondered, is it pronounced ee-van-gel-ee-an or ee-van-gilly-un?

I've always said the former.

ee-van-gely-on

• Thumbs Up 1

I've always said the former, probably due to the fact that it's more natural in my accent.

Eh-van-geh-ree-on, IIRC.

... wait that's Japanese. I guess I've accustomed myself to think of it like that, much like "mah-zeen-gehr-zet" and "tahn-ei-gundamu".

I think in english it'd basically be the same but with an l, though. Hard g and all that. Eh-van-geh-lee-on.

I guess I should watch this then. I've known about this show for years but I never got around to watching it.

Take it as a cue then, go get the original show and watch it. It's dubbed, if that makes any difference, and the actress who does Asuka is obcessed with the character and has her room filled with NGE merchandise.

... that's all I know about the eng dub, really :V I first watched this when I was like... 10? 2002, I think. There were DVDs with the Portuguese dub and the Japanese one, and I remember renting them and recording the episodes on VHS since my tv set was set up like that. Good times. Not a bad dub for the time, I think. Maybe I'll try finding it to show my 13-year-old nephew.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just feel the need to bring up the spectacular OP the series had, A Cruel Angel's Thesis.

http://youtu.be/k9zcjnEyKjc

So upbeat, but with a rather haunting introduction. Gets you ready to enjoy some stuff...but this kinda makes me realise why it wasn't in End of Evangelion, it going with the rather brilliant Komm, Susser Tod instead.

• Thumbs Up 1

What I like about the TV series was the atmosphere. It did what the original Star Wars (or shows like Firefly) where while the future has this marvelous technology it still has this run down look to it.

As a viewer it makes you feel like you can visit Tokyo-3 and see a boy with daddy issues and sexual dust ration kick as against monsters with his robot.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just feel the need to bring up the spectacular OP the series had, A Cruel Angel's Thesis.

http://youtu.be/k9zcjnEyKjc

So upbeat, but with a rather haunting introduction. Gets you ready to enjoy some stuff...but this kinda makes me realise why it wasn't in End of Evangelion, it going with the rather brilliant Komm, Susser Tod instead.

70's style cover of it. Love this video. Goes great with this image by Shinji Higuchi from the latest calendar.

tumblr_mylko66npe1rl3tlpo5_1280.jpg

I mean, holy shit guys. You've no idea how much I love Evangelion. You might've found somewhere for me to not be grumpy on SSMB, Doc :V

• Thumbs Up 1

This show was definitely.....a thing.

Now what kind of thing I'm not sure.

EVA's always struck me as a series that's not at all deep, but still psychologically complex. Hear me out: Half of the symbolism doesn't make any sense, the plot's not terribly profound, etc. But what's there is a highly intricate look at the world from another's eyes, all in the guise of a mecha show. It's hard to explain because I've not seen it happen almost at all anywhere else in mainstream media. The best we have are the arts; EVA's closest cousin is not so much Hamlet as Van Gogh. Madness pours from EVA in a way that seems almost impossible to replicate with technique, from the structure to the characters, as technique is not EVA's goal. It's an expression, and it's a tough one to pin down.

I suppose Anno himself said it best when he describe EVA as "a scream"; not so much words to be studied as a thing to be felt. I say all this because I think people do confuse the two when judging EVA. As a deconstruction of Giant Robot shows it's pretty good, though very uneven, but as work of the heart it's something astounding. That's quite a bit of high praise coming from me, but honestly I do think the show deserves it. Even now I can't find the right words to say just how good a show this is. I hope a few paragraphs of me tripping over myself will suffice.

• Thumbs Up 2

I do agree that Shinji tends to get way too much flak for being "a pussy", when people kind of miss the point being that;s the fucking idea.

• Thumbs Up 3

I love Evangelion, the original tv series still holds up very well.  I thought the "controversial" Episodes 25 and 26, was a bold move to take, especially considering how limited Anno was back in production. Ep 25/26 and End of Evangelion are both wonderful endings to the show.

Rebuilds on the other hand, 1.0 was alright, 2.0 was okay as well.

3.0 on the other hand

1367210952977.gif

Hate it.

Here's Part 1 of a great assement of how the rebuilds compare to the anime, what the differences are, and why some things work while other things don't. I recommend everyone who's seen the anime and the rebuilds to watch this, as it's very good, and explains some things as well.

Speaking of whicchhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=didzxUkrtS0

It's the fact that Shinji is only human. I mean, you have to understand first the responsibility he has on him. He's still a child, yet he's burdened with all these issues. Hell, the first episode creates this right off with his Dad basically telling him to grow up.

Plus, the whole post-apocalypse thing, and the abandonment issues. It's perfectly understandable that Shinji acts like a 'pussy'.

• Thumbs Up 5

It's the fact that Shinji is only human. I mean, you have to understand first the responsibility he has on him. He's still a child, yet he's burdened with all these issues. Hell, the first episode creates this right off with his Dad basically telling him to grow up.

Plus, the whole post-apocalypse thing, and the abandonment issues. It's perfectly understandable that Shinji acts like a 'pussy'.

Indeed, that's what I hate about people who think Shinji is a wuss. It only reflects that deep down that they do not permit people who are not ideally mature. We are all immature at some point, so mocking how Shinji was is the same as mocking who we are!

I've only seen the original TV show. I thought it was decent, but stupid at times.