Awoo.

How hyped/intrigued were you?

SonicHipsterGround321

Hello SS community, how are you all? I've heard good things about this forum and decided to make an account to quench my thirst for some constructive (hopefully) sonic discussion. 

For a first topic, it really isn't that captivating, but I thought I'd get it out of the way now and ask a question that has had me in thought for a while now that you older sonic fans would be more likely to provide answers for:

What were your initial reactions to SA2 when it was first announced way back in the 2000s?

Did you feel that this did the blue blur justice as a 10th anniversary celebration?

Did some of you more perceptive fans wonder whether this was a terrible new direction for sonic?

Were you anticipating Terios (Shadow) to actually be a sonic recolour?

Or were you just into the purdy CGI? 

And if you want, you can explain your reactions to it and whether it exceeded or didn't even come close to meeting your expectations.

Thank you for taking the time to read my first topic, and hopefully you guys will be willing to share.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jix Hedgehog

• Axl.EXE

• Shaddy Zaphod

• SonicHipsterGround321

Top Posters In This Topic

I was not hyped in any way, shape or form, largely because I was four years old and did not have a video game console at the time, nor did I really know what Sonic was. Hell, my first exposure to the series was a McDonald's electric toy.

My big thing back then was Pokemon.

What were your initial reactions to SA2 when it was first announced way back in the 2000s?

The first time I found out about Sonic Adventure 2 was from a magazine I saw in a book store (probably Waldenbooks). It had screenshots of Sonic in the Chao Garden and one of Knuckles in Pumpkin Hill. 

Did you feel that this did the blue blur justice as a 10th anniversary celebration?

At the time, I thought it did despite some of the flaws, like the Treasure Hunting radar being set to only one shard at a time.

When I first saw pictures of Shadow in Radical Highway on GameSpot, I'm not sure if I realized if that was different character or not.

However, after I saw an ad in a Magazine where it showed Sonic and Shadow together, I was like "Whoa! Cool!"

Then I practiced drawing him. He's my second most drawn Sonic character after Classic and Modern Sonic. His rocket shoes were hard to get down at first.

I didn't even realise it existed until it came out and people were complaining about how you never played as Sonic.  I wasn't all that into Sonic at the time.  I think I would've enjoyed being part of the fandom at the time and speculating about it, though; it seems like there'd have been a great deal to think about.

I had the early 2000's version of todays "Jizzings ones pants". A very short video went up online that showed some gameplay and right towards the end a shot of what became Shadow. People were more excited about this (possible) new character.. a whole bunch of different speculations went up on the Official Australian Dreamcast forums.. some said it was Dark Sonic (somewhat correct) others said it was Hyper Sonics return..

But yeah, after how much I enjoyed SA1, I couldn't wait.

The game itself? No. The 10th Anniversary bundle on the other hand was an awesome surprise and could only have been better if a figure or something were included

Did some of you more perceptive fans wonder whether this was a terrible new direction for sonic?

At that point in time, Sonic was already well established into 3D gameplay, you were either on board with the current progression of the series or were crying for a return of the classic gameplay. I didn't mind it (as in SA2s gameplay) it just needed LOTS of work and Heroes seemed to fix a few of those broken elements (such as grinding, homing attacks..)

Naw, each and every character in the Sonic universe (right up to Mephiles) was unique, I didn't really know what to expect thou until he was fully revealed.

Or were you just into the purdy CGI? 

I guess! I mean I wouldn't have wasted my time playing SA2 if the cut-scenes didn't keep me going

And if you want, you can explain your reactions to it and whether it exceeded or didn't even come close to meeting your expectations.

.. The game or the CGI?

The game (I've been shot down many times for saying this..) I didn't enjoy at all. No where near as enjoyable as SA1, the story was boring and some parts just didn't make sense. Returning characters had the same theme songs, the Chao garden went from a fun side quest to annoying as all heck, my least favourite element of the series made it's debut - grinding.. which was essentially in game advertising for SOAP shoes.. the whole based on real world locations thing just didn't fit in with the Sonic series, a clever mix of Sonic + real world stages would've worked so much better as it did with SA1.. so yeah, did not enjoy it at all.. I wonder why I even bothered to finish it. Haven't picked it up since (Dreamcast version)

No complaints about the CGI, the animation and voice overs were probably an improvement over the first game.. but again, not as interesting