Awoo.

Sonic Games That You Enjoy... Despite Their Flaws.

Briraka

I'm pretty sure it's obvious by now, but for those who don't know...

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood.

Sure, it has flaws. Lots of flaws. Bad music, some OOC dialogue options, weird-looking sprites, doesn't have the best battle system...I get it. I'm willing to admit all of these flaws that caused everyone else to hate it. But to be honest, none of it really phased me. The backgrounds were nicely drawn. It does a decent job at storytelling. Characters such as Big and Omega were written surprisingly well. Also the aliens. I kinda liked them for whatever reason; especially the Voxai.

And, if anything, I would really enjoy a sequel. I mean, you can't just leave us on a cliffhanger like that. (Not to mention--if this sequel does get made, can we have better composers? Please? For the sake of everyone's ears?)

I share a lot of these opinions.  Dark Brotherhood is a special game for me.  It's a Sonic game that I probably would have played gotten if I had gotten Sonic 06 back when it came out.  Sonic Chronicles would have been that game that made me like the other Sonic characters (as well as story in Sonic games in general) again.  

And as fate would have it, this ended up happening anyway, as I had finally bought and played Sonic 06 in March 2012 (I found that it's a little bit worse than what people say sad.png) and afterwards the next game I got was Sonic Chronicles.  With a better (and much more fitting for a Sonic game) story and stronger characterization, Dark Brotherhood became a gem to me.

As for my issues regarding it's flaws, well:

Bad Music - Yeah I agree, it sucks.  Using bad midi files of music from the past will do that.

OOC speech options - Wasn't an issue. After playing a game like Sonic 06, I made sure I picked dialogue options that made sense.

Weird Character Models - Meh, some were fine, others weren't.  Would can you do?

Battle System - Yeah it could have been better, but I didn't have too much issue with it as this game is relatively very easy.

Small personal issues aside, I found Sonic Chronicles to be quite enjoyable.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think a lot of people here already know that I'm going to say Unleashed.

Despite the Werehog, control issues, and various other shortcomings, it is probably one of my favourite 3D Sonic games. The daytime stages are really exciting and fun, and some of the bosses are great too. The story was also my favourite out if any Sonic game, it wasn't too complicated yet it wasn't too barebones. It felt like a lot of love and care went into Unleashed, and that's another thing that makes the game feel special to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm surprised Sonic Spinball isn't so well liked. I know it's a big departure from a normal Sonic game, and if you were expecting a normal Sonic game you'd probably not have your expectations met, but I remember having a lot of fun with Spinball. I picked it up and played right though it in a afternoon. Once you get the nack for the control style it's great fun exploring the stages and bouncing around.

Personally, I loved Spinball. It's my favorite spinoff, just for its silliness. lol

I guess you could say I love Sonic 3D Blast, even though the "3D" aspect leaves a lot to be desired, and the controls are very loose as well. :P

I loved Unleashed. The story was so...intriguing, and where they probably could've done without the Werehog, I thought it was still pretty interesting. Chip was a great character, and the graphics and game-style were really great!! It felt like a true adventure, and even for someone who couldn't actually play the game, I had fun.

I also enjoyed Lost World, and Colors. Maybe not as tightly woven as Unleashed, but I still liked the colors and concepts, and Sonics attitude. I guess it brings me back to my favorite thing about /Sonic/, which is the characters and fun of it all!

Maybe that's not the response you're looking for...

Oh, I'd also like to point out I haven't played any of the games, but watched the cinematics on YouTube in a kind of movie format haha

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood.

I'm not lying to you. I played that garbage AT LEAST 20 times. There came a point where I would just speed through the game within two hours. It was that bad.

Chronicles has its obvious flaws, but I loved it so much I played it constantly. I wish they'd continue the story, just for the sake of continuing it. I can't stand cliffhangers.

I also enjoyed (and still do) playing games like Sonic R and Sonic the Fighters. I can imagine someone getting easily bored or frustrated with Sonic R, but it was a lot of fun for me and my older sister to play. Sonic the Fighters has always been difficult for me to learn the controls, but I still beat it frequently.

It'd be great if they made a new Sonic R and Sonic the Fighters. If the games were good back then, just imagine now...!

Lost World 3DS has got its share of problems as far as the eye can see, but I still find my share of fun with it, depending on which level it is we're talking about.

Oh, don't get me wrong, the forced use of Wisps to advance in a stage is downright infuriating. Ditto on the gimmicky gyro controls (SPECIAL STAGES CAN GO DIE IN A FIRE, HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO PLAY THEM OUTSIDE OF HOME WITHOUT LOOKING LIKE A DUMBASS?!).

soniclw_3ds_thumb.jpg

I will say that Windy Hill, and some of Desert Ruins, Tropical Coast, Frozen Factory, and Sky Road are all fun to blow through. I like that the game is structured like a traditional Sonic title, so it doesn't drag in the sense that you have to collect a certain amount of items to move on. It goes from stage to stage, and I really appreciate it for that. Wait, why can't I call this game a guilty pleasure again?

Snowwoman_with_duckface.jpg

GAHHH, FUCK THAT SNOWBALL FOCUSED STAGE, GET AWAY FROM ME AND STOP MESSING WITH MY PROGRESS!

I won't lie that Lost World 3DS didn't leave the best impression on me, but I still had moments of enjoyment here and there. Visually, it's a step up from Generations 3DS big time, and I'll give Dimps credit for actually trying to do something different with the stages. Score one for somewhat floaty control as well, HALLELUJAH! Their talent when it came to level design for this game is something to be massively debated, though. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic Advance 2, it doesn't really have much wrong aside from the boss battles; it just has a negative stigma associated with it because it's a fast 2-d platform that's allegedly playable by only holding right. The level design is built pretty well in my opinion and encourage use of tricks and character gimmicks. The weakest parts of the game are arguably the special stages(or the process to get to them) and the boss battles. Also, fuck playing the game 4 times.

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 are definitely examples of this, but they're not too bad despite their incredibly aged engine and laughably bad cutscenes and audio mixing.  They're really fun games, though, and have amazing soundtracks.

Sonic Heroes is a game that I have a modest amount of enjoyment for as well.  I mean, it's not something I'd pick up and play any time and be super-enthralled by it, but once in a blue moon is fine.

Sonic Unleashed Wii is something I also enjoy despite the horrid, outrageously bad controls and insultingly simple and half-finished feel to every other aspect of the game.  I mean, 1/3 of the whole game is like all the fun of searching for a slide in Microsoft Powerpoint.  You would think with so much watering down and compressing, they'd put some effort into making sure the core gameplay engine isn't complete garbage.  But I mean, it's still fairly enjoyable once you get a feel for it.  That being said, I think Colors has the much better engine and after playing it, I really  don't know how they could possibly have let Unleashed Wii pass as if they had learned nothing from '06.  What's even more baffling is that the Wii version got a higher score than the HD version.  I mean, to each their own, but I certainly don't understand it, from a functional standpoint.

Speaking of Colors, that's another one I quite like.  There's nothing really wrong with the game, but I feel there isn't nearly enough diversity in the enemies and the enemies that exist aren't implemented in ways that are quite as creative and strategic as Unleashed.

Sonic Adventure

Yeah the graphics have not aged gracefully throughout the ongoing years, especially with the animations of the characters, and I too did not enjoy Big's fishing gameplay, but I still love this games and keep going back to replay it from time to time, but only through stages as either Sonic, Tails or Knuckles.

Sonic Adventure 2

The story can be a absolute mess when you try looking deeper into it, the audio mixing is downright horrible and the mech shooting stages were not my cup of tea. However, I still enjoyed the game for what it's worth.

Unleashed....Wii Version.

It's the inferior version, but I still like it. Partially because it was the first version of Unleashed that I played. Partially because it was easier to get into right off the bat compared to HD due to each level being made in small portions as opposed to the marathons of HD comparatively. I still disliked the cheapness, and lower quality, but it wasn't too bad.

Zero Gravity might count. I thought the controls were annoying. The gravity gimmick was somewhere between clunky and stupid. The tracks were a little bland and the speed was meh at best. But I loved the transitions between the songs whenever you pull off a good Gravity move (and the songs themselves), the gravity was fun when it worked, and it was still pretty enjoyable when I was finally able to get used to the controls.

I found Sonic Lost World on Wii U to be a decent game. Sure, it had some questionable level design and some other annoying choices, but it was still a fun game, and the DLC is entertaining.

The 3DS version was horrible from where I stand, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know why everyone hates the 3DS version of "Sonic Lost World". That's the only version I have of the game and it's flawless. 

I don't know why everyone hates the 3DS version of "Sonic Lost World". That's the only version I have of the game and it's flawless. 

I thought this was "despite" the flaws...

Anyway, I'd honestly say most of them, like SA1, the Advance games, CD... I don't tend to enjoy things because of their flaws, but usually I find flaws are overlookable (this is now a word), or aren't really major, such as in Generations where the lack of major story isn't a big deal to me.

I really enjoyed Sonic Heroes, I know people didn't like the controls but i liked the gameplay, story and the stages. Introduced me to Team Chaotix for the first time as well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sonic and the Black Knight has been one of my favorite games in the series ever since I first played it a couple years ago. While the gameplay isn't the most stellar, I actually really enjoy it. Swinging the Wiimote like a sword is quite fun to be perfectly honest, even if my arm did get sore on the final boss. I find the level design to be charming, the soundtrack to be good, and the whole medieval setting to be quite charming. And, as I've mentioned in much before, I absolutely adore the storyline and I find Sonic's characterization in particular to be a great facet of it.

Sonic R is might have slipshod controls, poor level design and have the most unbalanced roster I've ever come across in a racing game. But it's a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine and for those times I break out Sonic Gems collection with the intention of playing through Sonic CD, I sometimes find myself drawn to R as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic R. I know it's really short and I know it's really easy to unlock everything but my God it's so much fun to play! <3 The songs always make me feel happy, the race courses are fun and I love the different weather effects in the PC version. It's one of those games you can go back to and play over and over again in short bursts, because it's that fun!

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic and the Secret Rings is a bit of a love/hate thing, but definitely goes here, it's exact game playstyle is very unusual, here IS a lot of bad about it,wouldn't necessarily say it was well done, but I do find it largely does as advertised; it's quite immersive and visually dynamic, the main concept behind the controls isn't bad either, I would be interested in seeing another Sonic game with steering wheel-type controls.

Also I am very fond of the writing, as you probably know.

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually enjoy Sonic Advance 3 despite the fact it seems to be unpopular amongst the fanbase. The Hub World, Chao Collecting, music and some of the level design sucks. But, had fun with it and would say that it is one of my favourite 2D Sonic games.

• Thumbs Up 2

I have to give a shout-out to Heroes in this topic. Because while it does suffer from things like being somewhat monotonous, less than fantastic controls, and writing that can be downright shitty at times, it is still a game I do enjoy from time to time.

Sonic 3D Blast.

Sonic 3D Blast was my first Sonic game, with the original 3 and S3&K being my next Sonic games. I like it because of how different it was from the original 3 and was a puzzle game instead of a platformer. The puzzle gameplay is still fun to me, the music is great, but the bonus stages give me a headache.

I should note before anything else. I have a tendancy to wall of text when I'm trying to explain something. Anyway, I wanted to be the first one to mention this but someone beat me to it.

538px-Sonic_Lost_World_3DS.jpg

This game...... have been vastly different on the two playthroughs I've done with it. When I first got this game, I was still under all the terrible critisism this game was getting from professional reviewers... *COUGHIGNCOUGH*!!!! Oh where was I? Oh yea, lost world. When I got this game, I actually took those reviews to heart. I wanted the game simply because I wanted to try it out for myself. I saw some other reviews that say this game was good or ok but they were all talking about the Wii U version. The 3DS version seemed to have almost universal negativity. Some stages were terrible, the special stages we're TERRIBLE and that snowman was FREAKIN GAWD AWFUL! I went into this game with all of those things taken to heart and decided that I would go about this game differently. I would try to do each level as perfectly as I could. Take all the BS I could and just get it out of the way as soon as possible.  So I did.... and I had some fun. I didn't do any level absolutely perfectly and I reset so many times I had 99 lives before the desert levels.... and still reset but I had fun. No level in particular really was bad to me. I mean yea I didn't like 3D Drill the level (Zone 3 act 3), or Zone 6 act 3 (the rocket level) and the special stages we're extremely tiring after a while; but other than that, I had fun playing through the game. That said, I swore I would never reset it.... and I promply broke that promise a few months later.

My second playthrough was ok but alot more things stood out. I think it was because I was used to the levels and therefore could notice more of the BS as I was going through them that some of them went from being meh to downright frustrating. I went from not liking the 3D drill level to outright hating it with a bloody passion. It took me so long to get all the red rings. I decided to get them all in one go because I didn't like the level and didn't want to come back to it. It took me several hours to do so and i hated every minute of it. The snowman level, Zone 4 act 3, went from being meh to being bad simply because I hated that beginning part with the penguins sliding around all over the place and you needing to get that snowball big while avoiding them. The snowman itself was about 10 times more annoying on the second playthrough. I actually used Super Sonic on a few levels. Namely zone 6 act 3, the Rocket level. I didn't wanna deal with that one again so I just Super Sonic'd my way through it. Still took me like an hour though to do perfectly sleep.png. Speaking of Super Sonic the Special Stages were.... surprisingly more comfortable on the second playthough. I guess it was just because I was used to it. Ending on a positive note, my most favorite stage right now is zone 5 act 2, the grind level. It's a suprisingly fast paced level with lots of different twists and turns and can be a real challenge to get down right without being outright frustrating. Even when the level tries to make you think it's slowing down by killing robots, depending on what you do you can kill them extremely easily or just outright pass them. I found a path where where I only had to kill a horde of robots once which I had the lightning wisp to which made it extremely easy, got all the Red Rings doing it, AND got 999 rings. I also absolutly love the lightning wisp.

All in all, I enjoyed Lost world 3DS. It's not perfect, the 3D drill and snowman level and both go F*** themselves, the special stages are tiring if your not used to them, and you are NOT gonna get though this game without losing a few lives but overall I had fun. The controls were easy to get used to after a little while. The parkor took a little longer but it was no big deal. The graphics look good and overall it's not a terribly frustrating time apart from a few instances. Try not to go into this game expecting Terrible or great. It's good. A bit polarising depending on your tastes but good.

• Thumbs Up 1

I could say SA1 and 2, due to the recurring events of them being bad aparently, but I don't think they're flawed, considering how old they are and the limitations we had at the time, not to mention the glitch part everyone complains about it but I have the Dreamcast version for like 10 years maybe or more and I've only experienced glitches like twice, extremly rare. The ports on the other hand..............

Putting that aside I'll probly go with unwiished, has its flaws with the god of war werehog and stuff but I really have fond memories of that game despite everything.