Awoo.

Sonic Games That You Enjoy... Despite Their Flaws.

Briraka

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 will always be my number one games.

SA1 owns my heart because it is the first game in memory that I remember playing.  Mind you, it came out when I was 4 years old and my dad got it the day it came out.  I'd play the levels over and over again.  Not for the achievements, but how ascetically pleasing the levels looked to me as well.  Sure, the game seems pretty unfinished now that I'm older, but I still love it.

Oh man, SA2 has to be my favorite of the two? Why? Good memories.
My ex-bestie and I used to farm constantly to take care of our Chao.  We were so obsessed, we'd pull "shifts" as to whose turn it was.  I was usually on night/early morning shift for sure.  Notably, SA2 was the first game I beat on my own completely, so that achievement will always be in my heart.

On a side note, I loved SA1 so much, I remember asking my preschool teacher to get me a SA1 tails doll.  She gave me a horse figure and I was so displeased.  Christmas came, however, and I was greeted by SA1 Knuckles, Tails, and a Chao plush that I still have today from my Grandma!

Sonic Adventure, Sonic Shuffle, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 2006 and Sonic Unleashed are all terrible games. Some of these games are flatout broken and none of them should be recommended to others. However, even though I am not blind to how bad they are, I still personally enjoy them a great deal. I grew up playing those games, so I'll always have a special liking towards them. Everyone leave the crappy games to me! laugh.png

Sonic Heroes-because it was my first Sonic game & introduced me to the series.

Sonic & The Black Knight-Amazing in my opinion.

Sonic Colors-The story could've been developed more, but it was still cool.

Sonic Lost World:3DS-Can't say anything about the wii u yet because I haven't played that version yet.

Sonic and the Black Knight was one of my favorites. Now, since I'm older, it's not AS good, but seriously, flying through stages, destroying everything in your path as Lancelot, despite only being playable in 3 (IIRC) stages, was ridiculous fun. Not to mention the medals that make music play.

Then there's Sonic 06, which is still one of my favorite Sonic games. Sure, it's glitchy, the story is pretty bad, and some stages are frustrating, but MAN, the hype I had for that game before it came out... I wasn't disappointed at all, I had so much fun playing as Shadow and Silver. Two player mode is ridiculous as well, just flinging people to their dooms as Silver.

Shadow the Hedgehog is, to me, really awesome as well. I wasn't really big on shooting games, but 3rd person shooters, I had a soft spot for. So, ShTH is a favorite of mine. I used to dislike it when I was younger since Shadow said "damn" a lot, but now I love the game. Some of the story is pretty confusing, the music was kind of mediocre (excluding some ending themes, and Sky Troops was pretty good), and those space levels can go die, but the rest of the game was great to me. I still play it occasionally (I'm not big on replaying games I've beaten, unless they're as good as Fur Fighters) to this day.

I actually really liked Sonic Heroes and felt that the main reason why people didn't like it was because they played the PS2 version instead of the superior Gamecube/Xbox version.

I mean, people say it has "game-breaking glitches", but I honestly don't remember any. And yeah, there were glitches, but I wouldn't call them "game-breaking". The game has solid 3D platforming and all you have to do is find the goal (barring Team Chaotix), which is all I wanted in a 3D Sonic game. No emerald-hunting, no mech shooting, etc. It even has special stages where you actually have to go out of your way to collect the Chaos Emeralds, as opposed to having the Chaos Emeralds integrated into the plot, which I never liked (which unfortunately is with most post-SA1 games). Only thing I didn't like was unpredictable homing attack (which could have been fixed with a simple targeting icon that later became standard in all 3D Sonic games), and the ugly low-poly models that looks significantly worse than the models in SA1 and SA2.

What's also interesting is that while the character models looked significantly worse than SA1 and SA2, the environment looked significantly better than SA1 and SA2. wtf!?!?!?

Being a Sonic fan, of course I have those guilty pleasures. 2 in fact!

Sonic & The Secret Rings

Now, before you reply to me telling how horrible this game is you have to hear me out. I played this game when it first came out in 2007. I was 7 at the time, so I had some pretty low standards. When I got it, I was amazed. I loved the game... for the two minutes I played it. I got stuck on the tutorial level. I know, I was a complete idiot. Later down my life, I eventually got past the dreaded tutorial stage, and completed the first two worlds. But I got stuck again. So I put the game down for another few years. Finally, back in 2013, I picked the game back up, and played through it entirely. And I hate to say it... but I actually enjoyed myself. The controls while terrible in other's eyes, we're fine to me and I continued playing the game. The music was awesome, the story was cool, the upgrade system was nice IMO, and the scenery was just beautiful. 

Sonic_and_the_Secret_Rings_coverart.png

Sonic Adventure

I really love this game, and I can't even say that I'm really nostalgic for it, because I played it back in 2011. To this day, I never got the issues people find in this game. People say this game is dated and mediocre, but I just can't help loving it. I love the story, I love the stupid voice acting, I love the gameplay (for the most part), I love hub world, I love almost everything about this game. This game just defines my childhood... even though I played it 3 years ago. I love games where there is more to it then face value. The game is a true adventure, having you play as multiple characters who all tie to a storyline. You go from awesome area to awesome area, finding chaos emeralds or destroying robots, defeating bosses, running away from a crazy robot. It's just the definition of awesome. Sadly, there hasn't been a game quite like it. Adventure 2 is great, but it lacks the charm and well... ADVENTURE (gameplay-wise) of the first one. 

242px-Sonic_adventure_dx.jpg

• 11 months later...

Hmmm? Well I do really like the likes of Sonic Lost World even though it has flaws. But doesn't everything you play have flaws because no game is perfect by any means if you ask me.

Sonic Heroes.  Despite the whacked out controls I experienced and some of the larger enemies with big life bars, I still enjoy the game a lot.  The music alone is a big plus for it as well as the themes for some of the levels.

'06, Chronicles, and Shadow.

'06 is.. I mean, I liked pretty much everything about it, minus how crappy Mephiles's plan was. It mostly sucked, but yeah...

Chronicles was... I mean, I haven't actually played it in a while, but I remember the characterization being decent (excluding the alternate options for Sonic, but those were fun too). Also, I like the music. I realize that it sucks. I still like it.

Shadow is more for the gameplay. As unfitting as it was, shooting random aliens was fun. And hearing Sonic yell "Damn" was kind of hilarious.

Well, seeing as I like most of the Sonic games, as flawed as they may be...

I'll just jot down Sonic Adventure 2, because it's both my favorite offering from the series as well one that has notable flaws.

I don't get the hate for the treasure hunting levels, and I can't list that particular part as a flaw because, well, I really like them. I just like exploring and finding things, I guess, but those were on the level of the Sonic and Shadow stages for me. I will say that the radar system where it forced you to find them in a certain order was utter shite and there really was no reason to make it like that whatsoever. The hints can be pretty shitty at times as well, with classics like "a dark tunnel" or whatever. Outside of those two elements, however, I loved the Treasure Hunting stages.

Then the mech levels are something I hated. The camera was downright awful and it caused me to die in a lot of bullshit ways, and controlling the mech felt awkward as hell to me. The latter was only a problem I had when I revisited the game on Steam, but the former was an issue I had even as a little kid. Granted, I like these levels as a little kid, but they didn't age well at all when I returned to it.

I'd gripe about the story because it's pretty flawed itself, but when I was a kid I outright didn't care about it and when I was older I viewed it more like a campy Saturday morning cartoon than anything, and I found that to make it rather enjoyable.

I like most of Sonic games I have played at least to certain extent (it's possible that 3D Blast becames the exception) even if they have flaws and honestly, almost every game (not just Sonic games) have at least some kind of flaw (my favourite game of all time has many bugs and glitches).

Sonic Adventure: I have stated couple of times that it is my favourite Sonic game and still is. But it has some annoying things. I don't think that Big's gameplay is as bad as it sound. I think that Amy's gameplaystyle is just worse because it's more boring, at least Big campaing is over quickly. Also the camera while it doesn't get so much in the way. But the stuff that is good is just so good to me, it is Sonic in the way I want.

Sonic Adventure 2: honestly, I don't like this game that much but Sonic and Shadow levels make it all worth of it, while I think level desing was better in SA1. While I liked Knuckles levels in SA1, here it just butchered in struckture and level desing (mad space). Also camera is still problem and I think that it's worse than in SA1 (at least PS3 ports)

Sonic Heroes: I think that core gameplay is great if not slippery. I don't really have problems with playing levels 4 times because most of them are desingned well. Only problem is those special stages. I thought it couldn't get worse from Sonic 2 but I was wrong.

Sonic 4 as a whole: bland but enjoyable. Especially in Ep2 there was so much wasted potential and I still think that tag system should have been handled better, same way than in Sonic Heroes

Sonic 06: I have talked about this game much but I just say that I like Sonic-part of this game and final boss.

Sonic Adventure 2, it's flawed and hasn't aged well in some areas ( those treasure hunt stages are a pain). Despite that, it's still one of my favorite sonic games. 

Sonic Unleashed is a pretty decent game in my opinion. Yes, the werehog is there but the only reason why I didn't have fun with the night stages is because they were long levels.  There are issues in the Day stages too, the controls aren't the best and the levels can be cheap. 

Last time I posted in this tread, I hadn't played Lost World.  Now that it's been a year or so since I have, I quite like the game.  I am willing to acknowledge that I do understand where many of the complaints are levied at the game.  The parkour system really seems kind of unnecessary to me and sometimes really messes me up.  The story is kind of shallow at times, too, with Knuckles' and Amy's roles in the story relegated to simply existing.  But still, I quite liked the game.  It was a fun, simple little game, with a fairly lighthearted and interesting story.  It's flawed, sure, but it's actually probably my favorite game to come out in the past five years.  (Granted, that may have something to do with never having a computer where Generations worked well, but whatever)

Let's bring up my first Sonic game, shall we?

Sonic Heroes! The game controls (especially as the Speed characters) is slippery as heck and the Chaotix missions aren't my cup of tea, but the combination of nostalgia and fun despite controls still make this an enjoyable game. I also enjoy its multiplayer mode. (I actually like every multiplayer mode in a Sonic game, even 06 and Shadow.)

Now if only my copy isn't so damn scratched!

I'd have to say Sonic Adventure 1. Arguably, the first 3D Sonic game was the closest to nailing how I felt Sonic should play in a 3D environment. He ran through curves and grooves fluidly, almost silky smooth, something other 3D games haven't even come close to matching. He was definitely twitchy when running in a straight line and up ceilings/walls, plus he was a bit floaty, but generally his controls were easy to handle, only marred by a poor camera and design choices common with early 3D games at the time.

Tails and Knuckles were similar to Sonic with unique abilites, and they could fucking roll with proper physics! This is a gigantic thing to me, since this means they were basically coming up on a 3D version of Sonic 3 & Knuckles. The level design also compliments the trio (plus Amy) in a way that they can all work in the same environment due to SA1's organic level design. Amy was an extension of this, she did not have a damaging spin jump, thus had to use her hammer intelligently, and she also had more acrobatic prowess to offset her worse max speed. The foundation for future games that could have played like this was extremely solid. It's a damn shame they let it all go the very next.

I'll end it here, I could gush about this game all damn day.

Sonic Boom ROL and sonic the the black knight.

I know they're floored and have lots of problems but that didn't change the fact I enjoyed them from start to end.

I enjoyed the stories despite plot holes and enjoyed just the adventure aspect. I'm probably very easily entertained in some ways.

I liked the music in both aswell. The big thing I liked was the character interaction during gameplay however. Just made me laugh at points.

I enjoyed the acting in sonic and the black knight and my favourite was fighting the dragon in the cave.

Sonic Boom ROL I enjoy just exploring the towns and running through the sections collecting parts and rings. Watching the character interactions.etc.

I like the speed sections. I admit a big reason I enjoy sonic Boom ROL is mainly nostalgia. Not for sonic but for other games I played as a child. Just reminds me of them.

It also does help I have a copy of ROL that runs reasonably well. I don't get glitches in normal gameplay and the speed sections don't have much slow downs in my copy.

Though the update I have to avoid. I had to reformat my system to remove it because the update made my copy go unstable. I don't know why. I've heard it improves other peoples copies. I suspect it may have something to do with my copy already working and not really needing an update while everyone else is having glitch and frame rate issues and probably do need the update since it's probably designed for them.

I recognise why people dislike the game anyway. However I enjoy it.

A lot of the 8-bit sonic games i've enjoyed and never reallly had a problem with them.

I enjoy playing Sonic laybrinth once in awhile despite the things going against it.

Sonic Adventure's Gamma storyline: this gameplay style was basically a giant mess that somehow ends up kind of working for me. I feel like it's important to distinguish gamma from the tails/eggman stuff seen in SA2 first, though.

Tails and Eggman in SA 2 have this weird "stopping" animation that you're almost continuously triggering. For some reason, it took me a while to notice it, but it makes the two of them a lot worse to play. Their corridor shooter levels also did them no favors.

Please, now take a crazy, barely working platformer engine, change some values to make it kind of fit a larger robotic character, and then slap him into levels made for the more normal characters. Then dump on a weird time limit to force you to plow threw it and what do you have? A mess... In the best way. The whole time is a crazy scramble of barely working mechanics as you kind of guide kind of steer to the goal.

I play Sonic 3D Flickies' Island when I'm very sad, it reminds me of of Christmas, meaning that sheer nostalgia makes me overlook it's flaws (though I do genuinely feel it gets more flack than it deserves, or used to, I've been gone from this fandom little while, especially the Saturn version)

I have no problems spending time with Sonic Labyrinth or Sonic Blast either, Blast is weird and there's some genuine coding issues, but it's nice for variety.

Actually I enjoy a lot of Sonic games that are objectively flawed - Sonic 3D, Sonic Blast, Sonic Labyrinth, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic R, Knuckles Chaotix, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 4 and Sonic Lost World - I think I'm just easy. 

I liked Shadow the hedgehog, sure the controls were wonky at times and it was needlessly difficult but it was basically a modified version of sonic heroes, and to be honest I found the idea of a cartoon hedgehog with a gun quite amusing.