Awoo.

General Halo Thread & Discussion

Nintendoga

Edit: Halo 5 was announced at  E3 2013. Coming out sometime in 2014 for Xbox One.

Hype.

---------------------------------------------------
Halo 4 was announced last year at E3 11. Since then we have heard barely any new news besides astethics and concepts. Until now. At GDC, we finally have some Halo 4 footage from 343, along with new details about story and multiplayer and such.

The battle rifle will officially be back in Halo 4, the Master Chief will again have newer looking armor. Everything is going to be redesigned and from what has been shown, it looks like it's going to be good. According to 343 the feel of the game will shift back to the master chief being this invulnerable super hero; if done right this will absolutely bring the enormous Halo following back for another round.

In the video it was inferred that new features were to be added to Halo 4. What these features are is yet to be announced. Whatever they add will hopefully bring with it some new great challenge or ability to master, which will add to the experience.

The multiplayer is going to be a little different this time with players playing as a different model of Spartan.

But perhaps the most interesting news comes at the 2:55 mark or so, when Halo franchise development director Frank O' Connor mentions that they're finally going to give "a convincing reason" why the Red and Blue Spartan soldiers (the two opposing sides in Halo's long-running multiplayer) are fighting in the first place. A damsel in distress? The last pop tart? Just plain bored? The possibilities are endless.

I'm liking what I'm hearing and seeing, and I wonder what else we'll see before E3. And personally, I hope they make the customization akin to more Halo 3, as I always preferred it in 3 over Reach.

Halo 4 is still due out this holiday.
Halo-4-Screenshots-Master-Chief-02-675x3

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 6

I was going to make a Halo General but i didn't know if the general populous around here even actually care save for me and Neon. good to know theres a 3rd person who shares love for Halo.

H4 is looking good i really didn't see any problems or complaints yet. 2 nitpicky issues:

1) why a story for multiplayer? Reds hate Blues, Blues hate Reds does there really need anymore explaining then that? overthinking 343, don't do soo much of it.

2) Explain how John got the new armor already 343! Mk. VII armor wasn't even being field tested when H3 was happening so what is this? Mk. VI with swapped out armor parts? arg, soo annoying.

Anyone seen a slowed down version of the vidoc? i want to confirm some theories with the gameplay.

Edited by goku262002

Definitely one of my most anticipated games this year. I've been a huge Halo fan since 2008 and I can't wait to see how 343 is planing to continue the success of this franchise. By the looks of this trailer, they're doing a pretty good job as it is!

1) why a story for multiplayer? Reds hate Blues, Blues hate Reds does there really need anymore explaining then that? overthinking 343, don't do soo much of it.

Wait are you talking about commendations or the actual medal system? the medal system has been around since Halo 2.

Wait are you talking about commendations or the actual medal system? the medal system has been around since Halo 2.

I have to say I'm a little downhearted of hearing that the armor abilities won't be available in this game. They were a massive gamechanger for Reach.

For example, before reach it is really easy to zoom up to a target in a vehicle and splatter kill them. Abilities like "Armor Lock" make players more cautious when doing that, as they have no idea when someone might destroy their Ghost by ramming into them at high speed. That has saved my life DOZENS of times. And not having to look for a temporary Active Camo powerup was a great feature, as I can turn invisible at will so long as I had the energy.

I'd like to think they're doing something else that will add greater value, but call me a bit skeptical in some areas. I think they're removing something valuable to the metagame by taking out armor abilities.

EDIT: Okay, I can't seem to confirm this, so that's what I've heard.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

The medal system. Yeah its been around since Halo 2 but I don't recall it ever being used for in-match points instead of kills; though I could be wrong on this.

I have to say I'm a little downhearted of hearing that the armor abilities won't be available in this game. They were a massive gamechanger for Reach.

For example, before reach it is really easy to zoom up to a target in a vehicle and splatter kill them. Abilities like "Armor Lock" make players more cautious when doing that, as they have no idea when someone might destroy their Ghost by ramming into them at high speed. That has saved my life DOZENS of times. And not having to look for a temporary Active Camo powerup was a great feature, as I can turn invisible at will so long as I had the energy.

I'd like to think they're doing something else that will add greater value, but call me a bit skeptical in some areas. I think they're removing something valuable to the metagame by taking out armor abilities.

I would much rather them come up with new armor abilities instead of expanding upon the reach ones.

Sprint and Armor lock was nice yes, but Drop Shield and Active Camo were shit. Especially the latter.

I would much rather them come up with new armor abilities instead of expanding upon the reach ones.

Sprint and Armor lock was nice yes, but Drop Shield and Active Camo were shit. Especially the latter.

I'm not a camper, but I happen to be very fond of Active Camo. It is very fun for people to play ninja so long as they're walking slowly.

I've assassinated a good number of people with that thing.

I'm not a camper, but I happen to be very fond of Active Camo. It is very fun for people to play ninja so long as they're walking slowly.

I've assassinated a good number of people with that thing.

Probably just comparing it to Halo 3 because it was the last game to feature Master Chief and they wanted to show the difference between him from both games. Same thing with the Battle Rifle, since it wasn't in Reach etc they wanted to show the upgraded look for it.

Also guys. THIS GAME HAS ALL MY HYPE. Some of those multiplayer armours look SUPER SLICK. I love Halo.

• Thumbs Up 1

Can we get an info roundup btw? theres infomation flying about in all directions and i just want official facts from 343 not game interviewers.

Edited by goku262002

Awesome topic, Nintendoga!

I have to say, one of the best things I heard in the recent trailer was the news regarding multiplayer. The maps are going to be purpose built playspaces with original environments rather than recycled playspaces from single player. This was something which made Halo 2 and 3's maps so great.

I'm not the biggest fan of Halo, but I do respect it. It's a franchise with a lot of heart and effort behind it, and Bungie's up there with Valve in how awesome they are with their community. I am skeptical of what 4 will be like without their command, but then there are several former members on the team so I guess I can only assume they know what they're doing. I hope Microsoft can prove they can make a fresh new adventure with this and not just try to squeeze every last drop out of the franchise like Activision did with Call of Duty.

There are three things I want out of this game:

1. Don't let the story take a back seat to multiplayer. I loved the storyline in Halo 1, but after that it kind of felt like the focus was gradually shifted away from that, placing emphasis on the multiplayer component. It's difficult to explain the specifics, but for Halo 2 and 3, the campaign kind of felt watered down in terms of gameplay to accomidate a more "arcade"-ish design direction. Reach was a step in the right direction, if not a step in a different direction as well, but if there's one thing I can't forgive this franchies for, it's introducing the sudden and unconclusive sequel hook cliffhanger.

2. Completely new elements. If Chief has been in stasis, make that count. Make it at least a hundred years later and see how humanity's changed since; I want to see new vehicle dynamics, new weapons, new everything. It doesn't necessarily have to contradict the old design, but if you're going to bother continuing the story, make it feel worth extending.

3. NO. FLOOD. And especially NO. FLOOD. EXPIES. We killed the fuck out of those goddamn parasites. Make it feel like those efforts were worthwhile and we never have to see the annoying likes of them ever again.

I'm honestly looking forward to this. Really! I think i might actually have to buy another 360 for this!

Wish my internet wouldn't be going so slow, so I could watch the trailer :( Anyway, I already said in the 30 Days topic I was currently most looking forward to this and that hasn't changed. Can't wait for it to come out.

I'm looking forward to this, Haven't played Reach in a while, so I'm a bit rusty (and I hate those Anniversary achieveemnts that took away my 100%) but I like to think the Armour Chief wears is the same Armour, like still Mark VI thats either been redesigned (similar to Assault Rifles in Reach) or Master Chief has fixed it up a bit using parts of the Ship.

Can't wait to see what they do with the Multiplayer but as always with a Halo title, looking forward to Campaign mostly. Despite being Masterchief again, I'd really love the ability to play as my custom spartan again.

2. Completely new elements. If Chief has been in stasis, make that count. Make it at least a hundred years later and see how humanity's changed since; I want to see new vehicle dynamics, new weapons, new everything. It doesn't necessarily have to contradict the old design, but if you're going to bother continuing the story, make it feel worth extending.

There's a problem with this regarding Cortana. Her being a "smart" AI limits her lifespan to 7 years, and she's coming close to rampancy. Unless you want to go the path of how time travels differently in space, that's not likely to happen.

However, with humanity using some of the Covenant's tech, their technology would've jumped a long way anyway.

There's a problem with this regarding Cortana. Her being a "smart" AI limits her lifespan to 7 years, and she's coming close to rampancy. Unless you want to go the path of how time travels differently in space, that's not likely to happen.

Seven years active. Considering she's most likely in sleep mode and not taking any input outside of that needed to reactivate her, it shouldn't matter whether it's one year or one thousand.

Edited by SuperStingray

Seven years active. Considering she's most likely in sleep mode and not taking any input outside of that needed to reactivate her, it shouldn't matter whether it's one year or one thousand.

She wasn't in sleep mode from what we can tell. Considering Halo 3's ending, she was pretty much active.

You'd think that if they'd have a sleep mode, then rampancy among their AIs would be a non-issue. I mean, really, what kind of sense would that be if it was possible for them to go into sleep mode with that kind of risk?

She wasn't in sleep mode from what we can tell. Considering Halo 3's ending, she was pretty much active.

Why would she be active? No one would be using her since the only person around is in cryostasis and there isn't exactly much going on around her either in the meantime.

You'd think that if they'd have a sleep mode, then rampancy among their AIs would be a non-issue. I mean, really, what kind of sense would that be if it was possible for them to go into sleep mode with that kind of risk?

I don't see what having the ability to turn off has to do with the frequency with which they're active.

Why would she be active? No one would be using her since the only person around is in cryostasis and there isn't exactly much going on around her either in the meantime.

Because Halo Legends thats why. remember her chat with cyro 'chief? shows shes still running and talking to herself much like how 343 did before he went rampant.

EDIT: oh right forgot to post this.

The-Halo-Bulletin 3.07.12.

Theres a Q&A with Frank O'Conner that may/may not awnser your questions about Halo 4

Edited by goku262002

In addition to what Goku said, there's the fact that she has to maintain that distress beacon and monitor the Chief so that she could wake him up. If she was in sleep mode, she wouldn't be able to maintain all that.

Kind of the same reason why your computer doesn't go into sleep mode while you're making a download, it's in the middle of doing something before it can do that.

I don't see what having the ability to turn off has to do with the frequency with which they're active.

If they could turn her off, they don't have to worry about the threat of rampancy. They could keep AIs inactive for an extended period of time that way, and it would make a lot of sense to do so to keep them as far away from rampancy with that ability.

And if turning them off made little difference to the time they're active, that that only makes it further moot that they can't have it for around 100 years or so because she'd already be rampant before she hits the double digits of her life regardless.