Awoo.

Japanese company Video Research has released its analysis the influence of “Timeshift” options, the ability to view television programs after they aired. In their research, stretching from March 31 to June 29 in 300 households in Japan, “One Piece” ranks highest among anime programs.

An average was taken of the viewership percentage, post broadcast, of the 3 month long research period over a sample of 300 households, roughly 800 people, based on total viewership percentage divided by the amount of episodes the broadcast aired.

Among the results, One Piece came in 16th (first in anime-only ranking) with an average of 4.5% while other anime such as “Dragon Ball Kai” came in 21st (3.8% and second in anime-only ranking), “Doraemon” was 26th (3.4%), Case Closed! (Detective Conan) was 43rd (2.3%).

With One Piece airing on the Japanese television channel Fuji TV on Sundays at 9:30 a.m., it is possible that a substantial amount of the Japanese One Piece fans prefer to watch it later, instead of waking up early in the morning.

Taking this research into account, looking at the results to the ratings of the week of June 30th — where “One Piece” was the 4th highest rated anime series of the week with 7.3%— “One Piece” is actually the second most viewed anime in Japan. (Japanese favorite “Sazae-san” and “Chibimaruko-chan” not even placing on the Top 50 list published by “Video Research”)

This makes it important to take into account the viewership percentage for these post-broadcast viewers when looking at the viewership ratings of anime programs in Japan.

Source: Video Research

Alright so I finished the Alabasta story arc, and I've only got the short post-Alabasta arc left until I'm done with this saga. I gotta say, the Alabasta arc had a lot of ups and downs for me. It could have been the filler, but honestly I think it comes from my general dislike of the desert. I just prefer more tropical areas, you know? But I was still satisfied during the later part of the arc when things really got action packed. Oh and the small "surprise" at the end could have been an actual surprise if it wasn't spoiled by the third opening song several episodes early. >_> Oh well.

Now let's see, according to the One Piece wiki the next saga is the Sky Island saga. Ooohhhh sounds interesting. Too bad it starts off with two filler arcs. I hope they'll be interesting or at the very least go by quickly for me. So far most fillers have, except that middle part in Alabasta. But hey, I feel like I'm advancing at a pretty nice pace. I'm going rather slowly but I'm already around 130 episodes in. Everything's going breezy. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I think I'm the same with the Alabasta arc, it was good in story and ideas but something about "desert" always makes things feel like they drag on to me P:

Skypeia has a slow start, but I think it's worth it in the end, it eventually gets really good. Not the best arc ever, but definitely worth watching at least once. The Jaya Island arcs surrounding the Skypeia bits are also really good, not to mention extremely important!

Speaking of "filler surrounding Skypeia", what's the consensus here on the Foxy/Davy back Fight Arc? I just remembered the other day that it wasn't filler but it coulda fooled me, is there a single thing in that arc worth watching?

The Davy Back Fight episodes have a bunch of filler.

I don't remember much of the anime version, but I thought it was a fun arc. I thought the Foxy pirates were funny.

Speaking of "filler surrounding Skypeia", what's the consensus here on the Foxy/Davy back Fight Arc? I just remembered the other day that it wasn't filler but it coulda fooled me, is there a single thing in that arc worth watching?

Most folks just hate it; saying it gets dragged on too long. I'm mostly a fan of the pointless stuff that goes around in One Piece, so I like it. The filler in the Davy back Fight is stupid, but I like it, all things considered. 

Most people also hate what the anime did because it delayed the appearance of Aokiji. 

There needed to be something light between Luffy beating up God and everything falling apart at Water 7. It didn't work in the anime because it was stretched out and sandwiched between filler arcs, but I'd be interested to see how it flowed in the manga.

I didn't think the actual filler Davy Back stuff was particularly different in quality from the canon material, but two rounds for literally no reason was way too much. Follow that up with the genuinely crappy Ocean's Dream, and... well, I guess it made Water 7 look even better by comparison?

There needed to be something light between Luffy beating up God and everything falling apart at Water 7. It didn't work in the anime because it was stretched out and sandwiched between filler arcs, but I'd be interested to see how it flowed in the manga.

I didn't think the actual filler Davy Back stuff was particularly different in quality from the canon material, but two rounds for literally no reason was way too much. Follow that up with the genuinely crappy Ocean's Dream, and... well, I guess it made Water 7 look even better by comparison?

Well, on the bright side. G8 was a fantastic arc. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, between that and the first little bit on Long Ring Long Land (which is still one of my favourite dumb island ideas) it seemed like the show was on kind of a roll for a while there.

What actually happens with Aokiji in the manga? Do they still team up to save those shipwrecked people somehow?

Yeah, between that and the first little bit on Long Ring Long Land (which is still one of my favourite dumb island ideas) it seemed like the show was on kind of a roll for a while there.

What actually happens with Aokiji in the manga? Do they still team up to save those shipwrecked people somehow?

No; he just happens to be standing in front of Tonjit's house while the whole Davy Back Fight was going and helps Tonjit reunite with his people by freezing the ocean to the other islands. Then he messes with the Strawhats. (That's honestly kind of abrupt if you ask me though. I don't think Toei handled it especially well, but I think it's better that Aokiji didn't just show up out of nowhere with the serious stuff.)

Most folks just hate it; saying it gets dragged on too long. I'm mostly a fan of the pointless stuff that goes around in One Piece, so I like it. The filler in the Davy back Fight is stupid, but I like it, all things considered.

Most people also hate what the anime did because it delayed the appearance of Aokiji.

Most people don't like the Davy Back Fight because they think it's pointless and sometimes forget that One Piece isn't just about badass fights. They call it "manga filler," but they're mostly the same people that are just hungry for the action and drama in Water Seven/Enies Lobby rather than the silliness.
  • Thumbs Up 1

And now for something completely different: 

My review of One Piece Episode of Nami:

Tears of a Navigator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1rlaEvrDqY

Hoo boy, what to say about this special huh? To start, I think it's damn good, damn, damn good, but too short, and with too much time spent with the wrong scenes.  It's funny, because the thing is almost two hours long.

To start, the special recaps all the events prior to the Arlong arc, a scene which should have been shorter if you ask me. It was key scenes between Nami and the gang, but it didn't really do much for setting her role in the crew and I feel that part should have been relegated to an inner monologue into the mind of Nami, but this recap stuff takes up a whole 4 minutes of plot in a way that doesn't benefit the special at all.

I also feel this special may have tried to be too close to the manga in retelling events that don't add anything. For starters, this special doesn't have Zoro being captured by the Fishmen, but wanders into their fortress anyways. This doesn't add anything to the overall story aside from Zoro learning that Nami is on Arlong's crew, when he could've stayed with Nojiko along with Ussop. There were just many scenes that didn't need to be there and should've been rewritten.

Not to mention, most of the dialogue are just sentences lifted from the manga, which leads to many rushed scenes that don't  need to be rushed, but just are because the sentences need breathing room. And that's just what this special lacks at times: breathing room.

HOWEVER, when the special gets emotions down, it gets it right. When you get past how fast it is compared to the original anime, you really do enjoy yourself with just how well the Arlong Park arc was condensed. No better does this show than in the flashback with Bellemere, successfully trimming the fat from the flashback and really condensing it down to a reasonable size while capturing the emotions within. I felt myself fall to tears when she was shot.

And every scene with Nami was great in this special, true to the name, it really felt like it was her story. You could really feel the conflict within her as it all went on. Hell, one scene involving her was improved from the original anime! It's when she starts tearing apart her house and you hear all the sounds from outside, and the debris is scattered around. In the original anime the animation was definitely not up to snuff with the backgrounds, leaving white blotches in many parts and just making the characters feel distant from their environments.

And if there is something I must praise this special for, it's art direction. Everything looks wonderful artwise, close to a movie, and with dynamic lighting that you really don't see in the series often. I liked how the clouds darkened the sky in this version and the characters really change, lighting wise. Everyone looked well drawn and expressive, and the colors simply popped in a way you really don't see as often these days.

The backgrounds are just wonderful to look at in general, and actually makes me miss the days when the Strawhats visited more tropical areas of the Grand Line. I hope we can see something close to that again. (No; I don't count Green Bit.)

One big praise I must give Toei is that they knew to keep the crappy fanservice out of this special when it came to Nami and Nojiko, despite their busts reflecting how Oda draws his modern females.

The animation itself is good. It's nothing incredible to really write home about. The characters look very expressive and remain consistently on model for the special, though sometimes it may seem a little rushed. Again, most of the best stuff comes from the art direction more than the animation this time around.

One final critique I must give though is the final battle with Arlong. I didn't like how all the characters were fighting separate battles while everyone watched. It took me out of the moment how Zoro was fighting Hatchi, but Sanji and Kurobii were doing nothing, along with Luffy and Arlong. I guess it would've been too expensive I guess?

Anyways, to leave on a positive note, this special is worth a watch, and I would say it's a good way to introduce someone to One Piece. The story is mostly self contained, so someone doesn't really have to know  too much about what's going on outside the world of One Piece to really get an understanding of the special.  And if you're already a fan, it's worth the watch for those days you want a quick rewatch of the Arlong Park arc, but don't have the time to look at.

Final Thoughts:

Fantastic!

Unlimited World Red Makes the Top 20 for the 3DS Eshop:

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/233199-3ds-eshop-charts-july-15th

1. Shovel Knight 
2. Tomodachi Life 
3. Super Mario Bros. 3 
4. 3D Classics: Kirby’s Adventure 
5. Pokemon Dream Radar 
6. Super Mario Bros. 
7. Mario Kart 7 
8. Animal Crossing: New Leaf 
9. Pokemon Battle Trozei 
10. Kirby’s Dream Land 
11. Rayman Origins 
12. Zelda: Link’s Awakening DX 
13. Zelda: A Link Between Worlds 
14. The Legend of Zelda 
15. Urban Trial Freestyle 
16. Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D 
17. Zelda: Oracle of Seasons 
18. Zelda: Oracle of Ages 
19. One Piece: Unlimited World Red 
20. Fire Emblem: Awakening 

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Topic bump but:

The official website for Eiichiro Oda's One Piece franchise revealed on Monday that Universal Studios Japan will again host a One Piece-themed live show this summer on the theme park's Waterworld stage.

Universal Studios Japan has also opened a website for the event, and is streaming a promotional video.
Link to the Youtube video (spoiler alert!):

The "One Piece Premier Show" is again part of an overall "One Piece Premier Summer" event. In previous years, this event has included One Piece-themed food, merchandise at gifts shops, a themed restaurant, statues that visitors can pose with, monuments, water gun battles, and face-painting.

This year's show will focus on the "firery bonds between three brothers."

Universal Studios Japan will host 73 performances between July 3 and September 30.

Tickets for the show go on sale to the general public on May 25, although the official website will sell a limited number of tickets between May 15-21. Tickets cost between 1,980 yen (US$16) and 4,980 yen (about US$41) after tax, depending on seats chosen. Ticket costs are on top of normal admission prices to the park.

One Piece got its first official theme park that opened in March inside Tokyo's famous Tokyo Tower that features live events, attractions, a restaurant, and an original merchandise shop.

Universal Studios Japan is currently hosting a Cool Japan event that includes life-size statues from Attack on Titan, an "Attack on Titan The Real" exhibit, an Evangelion 4D short film, and attractions for Resident Evil and Monster Hunter. The attractions were slated to end on May 10, but they have been extended until June 28.

The park will also host a "Yōkai Watch The Real" attraction this summer.

• 1 month later...

I can't believe how long it's been since I updated my status on this show. Well, I finished the Water 7 arc and I'm now in Thriller Bark.

To sum up my thoughts on Water 7:

The main Water 7 arc was like "Alright, this is pretty good so far. Yeah."

Then came the CP9 arc and I was like "Oh my gOD" and THEN THE BUSTER CALL HAPPENED AND I WAS LIKE "oooOOOOOHHHHH HOLY CRAP" AND THEN- Well, you get the idea. It just got more awesome as it went on. The only bull they pulled was the Gear 2 form with Luffy. He... just observed and learned? That makes no sense. That's like... he pulled a Goku! But bleh, the arc was still amazing.

And now Thriller Bark is pretty great as well. When Nami, Usopp, and Chopper first got on the island I was constantly on my toes. It was actually pretty scary and suspenseful! I guess the voice actors did that good of a job. There was like, constant screaming but you could feel the danger! Ahhh! I noticed there's also a huge animation upgrade starting from this arc. Everything looks so beautiful.

So far I've watched up to episode 353 and I'm at the point where Brook was facing his zombie self and Luffy got into that massive monster zombie body. I like the idea of taking someone's shadow, actually. And I got some Peter Pan vibes when I saw Luffy's shadow get cut off. It's got its own mind kinda like Peter Pan's and I like that nice cartoony touch to it. Pretty interested to see how this arc will end.

Oh, and uh, Perona is super cute. Just saying.

nqTBx4C.png
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Ok so I'm not sure how long these will be up but Funimation's gotten far enough now that we now have english VA's for the Supernovas:

They all sound pretty good imo, and it's exciting to see that Funimation's gotten as far as they have.

Edited by Ferno

I'm so hyped for Pirate Warriors 3, I sunk 500 hours into PW2 so the 28th can't come soon enough.

Is it continuing to follow the story again? Because PW2 was it's own in-game story.

• 1 year later...

Oh nice, here's an One Piece topic too. Sadly I'm going by the speed volumes are released here (currently volume 81 is the latest) so I really can't hang around here, I don't want to get spoiled and stuff after all.

Sad since One Piece is so epic, at least some arcs are just so awesome. I really liked Water 7/Enies Lobby part (and the art style was the most appealing for my liking around there), somehow I found Thriller Bark not that appealing. The thing that's "current" in the manga for me though is growing interesting. I was pretty much crawing for Sanji and now bam! I just hope things end well, but I don't want to get spoiled, so well, bye. -_-

• 2 weeks later...

New chapter was amazing I'm seriously excited to see what happens since pudding messed up

Spoiler

Wonder if she crosses big mom

Oh man this new chapter sets up the chaos in a big way.

Spoiler

A Logia type Devil Fruit user based after an edible sweet pasty food? A chink, nay, weakness in Big Mom's own Devil Fruit powers? Jinbei being this much of a badass? And Brook just showing up outta nowhere and HE smashes the photo, hereby sending everything Bege set up to possibly succeed in hilarious fashion?

BRING ME MORE ODA

Also side note; man would I have loved to see Dogtooth take on Zoro as I feel their skills would have been similar in battle. But if this leads to him facing Jinbei\Sanji then that's fine too. Also this pretty much says that after this is all said and done Carrot is joining the Straw Hats too right?

Great chapter. I wonder if pudding will have a change of heart. I see why she thought he would be disgusted of her but dude has a good heart.

• 2 months later...