Awoo.

I agree with you. Toei is absolutely the worst. They're also known for giving foreign licensors a hard time. Did you know that FUNimation is the only international company they granted 16:9 masters of episodes 207+ to (not counting their sub-licenses to Manga UK and Madman)? I really wonder how much money FUNi had to bribe them with. biggrin.png

As someone who lives in Germany and likes the German dub most, the fact that we only get 4:3 really annoys me. I wish Toei would cut the crap. I just don't see how this does them any good.

I like the german dub Marcello; it's a fun adaptation.

I really am liking the adaptation of Dressrosa so far, despite Toei's lackluster handling of things, not because they've improved (ok, they got some better directors), but mostly because of how Oda has written this arc. There are a million different stories happening at once, and there is a huge amount of room for implied filler that Toei can fill, and they do that adequately. Though their writing staff during these implied filler moments can't write for shit, outside of repetitive dialogue that just goes back and forth sometimes. 

And when Block C ends, I'm going back and rewatching the whole arc in a marathon, because I feel like I will really enjoy it that way. 

Uh Toei has already started released One Piece on Blu-rays. Better late than never

^ As far as I know, they began releasing Blu-ray Discs starting with the Punk Hazard arc and up as of four months ago. I didn't hear anything about Toei releasing any episodes earlier than that (especially where FUNi is at), but I could be wrong.

^ As far as I know, they began releasing Blu-ray Discs starting with the Punk Hazard arc and up as of four months ago. I didn't hear anything about Toei releasing any episodes earlier than that (especially where FUNi is at), but I could be wrong.

Well it was said that they don't release them in Blu-ray format, which is wrong as of Punk Hazard. If Toei gives Funi good sourcesm they'll release it in Blu-ray. The only Funi series not on Blu are Future Diary and One Piece, they release it when possible.

They gave FUNi the best source video they have, though. Their masters are in HD; some online trailers, the Toonami broadcast, and the original press release (link below) prove this. I'm pretty sure their contract with Toei doesn't allow them to release the series on Blu-ray (outside of the movies since Japan gets those too).

http://onepiecepodcast.com/podcast-episodes/2011/10/thenextvoyage/

I wonder what it was for this time? The man's been taking many breaks, so I wonder what he's caught. I hope his smoking habit isn't starting to catch up to him. The man has to get off those cigs.

I got into this i remember way way way back when shonen jump was about to come to america. I still have the very first "preview book" that was like what 06, 07/ And still in love with it all these years later.

No need to worry about Oda. Apparently this hospital visit was scheduled ahead of time. He'll be fine! His heavy smoking does have me concerned for his future, though...

Being a working Japanese man has me concerned for his future.

Basically all mangaka

• Thumbs Up 2

What makes it worse for Oda is that the man works for long hours for days on end. He sleeps only 3 hours a day, and barely sees his family. He had to be forced to take scheduled breaks by his staff. So the last thing that man needs is a smoking habit that could kill him early.

New One Piece Chapter Released: 749 "Rascals Attack"

one-piece-4977805.jpg

Summary:

After Pica's arm was destroyed by Chinjao and Elizabello II, the Colosseum fighters proceed to decimate the Doflamingo soldiers. But Pica was not out of the fight and attacked again with his remaining arm, throwing the fighters in disarray. The fighters then noticed that Luffy is missing and one of them sees Luffy riding Ucy while climbing the colossus arm toward the giant head. Pica noticed this and grew his arm back, before going to strike his attacker, but Luffy was ready and breaks the giant's head off with a Grizzly Magnum. Pica was them revealed to be controlling the colossus from within, and prepares to cut Luffy down with a huge sword, but Zoro intercepts it and stays behind to duel Pica while Luffy races toward Doflamingo's palace.

Law, who was still with Luffy was deep in thought and decided to reveal some secrets of his past. Thirteen years ago, his benefactor Corazón was killed by Doflamingo and was not only the previous leader of the Donquixote Family but was Doflamingo's brother.

My thoughts:

I thought this was a very good chapter with very good art and gags to it. Pica is impressive as always when looking at all the intricate details on his body. Though it was dissapointing to see that Pica becomes a swordsman by the time the chapter ends; looks like another one on one fight again, though with his stone powers, I hope this is an interesting one between him and Zoro. The gag with Luffy riding up Pica's arm was great, and it was fun to see Abdulla and Jeet there. 

And the surprise of this chapter was finding out Doflamingo had a brother whom he killed. I am superbly interested in how this plot thickens. We find out Doffy's mom died when he was eight, and he killed his father at ten. I want more. 

Overall, good chapter.

No chapter for the next two week fellas. Oda's dealing with tonsilitis again.

A lot of stuff is happening. Kinda amazed that this manga isn't anywhere near finished...

Granted there were a lot of painfully slow arcs to balance out the amazingly fast paced ones.

Here's the preview to the next episode episode 648: "Sortie - The Legendary Hero, Usoland"

1000px-Episode_647.png

Title: ''Light and Shadow - The Darkness Lurking Within Dressrosa!''
Chapters Covered: 717
New Characters: None
Episode Director: Tetsuya Endo (***1/2)
Animation Director: Toshio Deguchi (**)
Time: 8:30PM EST
Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece

A WARNING TO ALL ANIME VIEWERS: Beware any episode with animation by this man. It is more miss than hit and is prone to making One Piece fans cry.

My thoughts: This was a pretty good episode. In spite of Deguchi's presence, he managed to keep things decent enough, though a lot of that may have been Tetsuya's help. The scenes with Luffy and Don Chinjao were expanded in ways that I thought was pleasantly enjoyable, but one of the biggest faults with One Piece filler is that the script is a bunch of repetitive dialogue because the storyboarders are too lazy to think of dialogue that doesn't clash with the manga. However, there was good action which really helped the episode out, and thankfully the manga really skimped out with the Don Chinjao fight, leaving a lot of room for details.

The part with the toys was well done too, though I think it would be better if you were an anime viewer only, because the surprise was lost to me at this point. The acting was really spot on though and helped capture the sadness in that toy's heart. Also, plus for the new music. 

The Law vs Doffy and Fujitora scene was great as well. They got a really talented animator for that scene because the budget seemed to jump through the roof right there.

My feelings are pretty much the same as they were when this initial chapter came out. It's decent, even if nothing is progressing.

3/5 

Edit: I'd like to give some special attention to this scene here. It's done by Naohiro Shitani; a very talented animator in Toei studios. 

lawshintani2_gif_by_aims773-d7kp66i.gif

We have an update as to what is fully happening to Oda in the hospital. 

He's getting his tonsils completely removed. Since the incident last year, he's been having a lot of problem with his tonsils, and thus has decided to get rid of them so he can heal fully.

He drew this:

140528onepiece_s.jpg

"Ever since last year, when I’d get tired, the body part in my throat called “tonsils” would start to swell up. It really interfered with my work so this operation’s in order to remove those tonsils. But since I’m going to go under the knife, I think I might as well ask them to add bazookas to my shoulders.
I’ll be back with a stronger body that’ll be able to take on all the different jobs I’ll be doing in the second part of this year.
I’ll soon come back so please do come hang around again!"

I really respect Oda. He is a trooper among mangaka. 

Here's some more info about Naohiro Shitani. He's an animator you usually hope shows up in the anime, because he makes some of the best shots around. He is known for usually working with Toei movies, so it's not often that you see him animating an episode, but when he does, you know there's gonna be a party somewhere. He knows how to take Toei's shoestring budget and make it work for his doing. 

Here are some of his other scenes in action.

tumblr_n51bvuerI61sx9diho2_500.gif

cd120ef60be02c82501aa26668b7558e.gif

shirohige_and_ace_by_tsotne_senpai-d5th5

You can really see how smart this man is with his angles and lighting. He has incredible timing, and I only wish he didn't do so many projects. Being as talented as him means he's often taken away to do movies, so it's a treat just to see his work.

He's also done:

-diamond jozu knocking away crocodile in marine ford
-whitebeard pirates commanders jumping off the ship to start there attack
-first time skip scene/episode with luffy picking up his straw hat and a crocodile & a blue grollia fight over meat -absolutely love this cut
-jimbei tearful apology to nami in fishmen island

----

And here's a little chart to help you know the style of some of the animators on One Piece thus far.

5wxg8o.jpg

Oh my god thanks I needed that. It helped me discover the worst animator on One Piece: Sushio. I mean just look at his Usopp, I always wondered why he looks so horrible sometimes. His style is actually pretty unique and cool, but why the fuck would you try to put that in One Piece?

Actually the whole bottom four rows are horrendous, I don't remember seeing any of that.

Oh my god thanks I needed that. It helped me discover the worst animator on One Piece: Sushio. I mean just look at his Usopp, I always wondered why he looks so horrible sometimes. His style is actually pretty unique and cool, but why the fuck would you try to put that in One Piece?

Actually the whole bottom four rows are horrendous, I don't remember seeing any of that.

Yamashita was the lead animator for Movie 6. If you don't recognize some of these shots, they may be from the movies. 

Actually, all 3 of the bottom are from Movie 6, a movie with a very, very, very different take on the series. 

That list is a tad outdated, as it lists mostly old animators, but I believe some of them are still active in the show.

I'm not sure what the point of that SBS trivia was, but it amused me. I love the SBS corner.

This is the updated list of the animation directors for One Piece. There are some new ones mixed with old. Deguchi is one of the few you don't see here though.

BtwHGiJ.jpg

Movie 6 was great. In fact it's probably the only good One Piece movie to date besides Strong World and Film Z.

Movie 6 is better than both of them to me. I also love the art style. The guy who worked on it, also did the Digimon movie.

The characters look most like the manga in the latest two movies, though.