Awoo.

Movie 6 is a point of contention in the One Piece fandom. It's easily one of the darkest and most pressing of all the movies for sure, but the art style throws many people off. I haven't seen it, but I know I'd like to. Funimation are looking to bringing it here after they release Film Z.

Naoki Tate, Eisaku Inoue, Kazuya Hisada, Hideaki Naniwa, and Yukiko Nakatani are my favorites.

Sushio's style is different, but it's intentionally different. I don't think it's poorly drawn. It's crazy enough that it works. laugh.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Ugh, just looking at this topic makes me dread how behind I am. It will take forever to catch up with you folks. ;A; 

Anyway I'm almost done with the Arlong Park story arc, only 4 episodes left and it's over. And I think I've seen enough episodes to update my thoughts and status on this show. First off, let me say that Nami's story is messed up. Holy cow is it messed up. Albeit in a entertaining and slightly relatable way. Huh. Well aside that I like how in this arc Usopp has stared to become more independent and brave. I really enjoyed seeing him kick that fisman's ass. You know that long snouted one. Whatever his name was. .-.

As far as the story goes, you know how when I first watched this show I stated that they showed Luffy as basically invincible? Yeah well now I can see how he can be vulnerable, especially when he almost drowned. Twice. But with that question answered, a new one arises. I'm wondering how they can keep the series fresh for another 600 episodes. I mean, so far how the story goes, the "most powerful" pirate appears, and then he gets defeated. Not much longer, another "most strongest" appears and gets defeated again. And you can see an improvement in strength every time a new "most strongest" appears. 

Aside from that minor complaint, which really should be one. I mean, I've been enjoying this show a lot. Hell, I've put other shows I've been watching on hold just to watch this. I... well I really don't have other complaints. It's just taking forever to move on with the story. Each episode likes to take it's time, and I don't have a problem with it. But I always find myself itching to watch the next episode to find out what happens, you know? I guess that was done purposefully, now that I think about it. Anywho, I'll probably report back again when I've covered the first season and plug in my final thoughts on the season.

Aside from that minor complaint, which really should be one. I mean, I've been enjoying this show a lot. Hell, I've put other shows I've been watching on hold just to watch this. I... well I really don't have other complaints. It's just taking forever to move on with the story. Each episode likes to take it's time, and I don't have a problem with it. But I always find myself itching to watch the next episode to find out what happens, you know? I guess that was done purposefully, now that I think about it. Anywho, I'll probably report back again when I've covered the first season and plug in my final thoughts on the season.

Well early episodes take about 1.5 chapters to adapt. So they have to pan out 8 minutes of manga content to about 18 minutes. The pacing of the anime nowadays is what most people hold against the adaption.

As far as the story goes, you know how when I first watched this show I stated that they showed Luffy as basically invincible? Yeah well now I can see how he can be vulnerable, especially when he almost drowned. Twice. But with that question answered, a new one arises. I'm wondering how they can keep the series fresh for another 600 episodes. I mean, so far how the story goes, the "most powerful" pirate appears, and then he gets defeated. Not much longer, another "most strongest" appears and gets defeated again. And you can see an improvement in strength every time a new "most strongest" appears. 

It doesn't devolve into that Dragonball Z approach of getting new foes. Each one is powerful in their own way and remains very powerful as the series go on. It's not like how Freeza was the strongest in the universe until Cell showed up, and Freeza could be beaten with a single punch from their on. 

Oda takes his time with each chapter, and the storyline is only gonna get slower when Skypiea comes. But you get to enjoy One Piece's first saga after Arlong park is over. Not to mention, you're lucky with the summer coming up. You're not watching one episode a week, which is murder. 

My advice: Don't read the manga. It will ruin the show for you.

Well you can also read the manga without watching the anime, but now that he's started the anime, why bother? :P

Well you can also read the manga without watching the anime, but now that he's started the anime, why bother? tongue.png

Of course. XD The anime may have it's flaws, but it's still very enjoyable all the same, but when you've read the manga, it's impossible to watch the anime once a week ever again, especially considering who animates it. 

Of course. XD The anime may have it's flaws, but it's still very enjoyable all the same, but when you've read the manga, it's impossible to watch the anime once a week ever again, especially considering who animates it. 

That's why you wait for the anime to pile up. A rule of thumb I use for any shows I watch: wait two weeks before marathon all the new episodes (usually two episodes). Works well for me so far.

Some people go as far as waiting for an entire arc to finish. I couldn't make it that long.

• Thumbs Up 1

As far as the manga goes, I noticed it has around 70 volumes. Usually when I watch an anime adaption of something, I first finish the series and then go to the material it originated from. And considering One Piece isn't over, I was thinking of starting the manga once I finish the first half of the anime. From what I looked up, at one point the series transitions into a "new world" that has stories that take place 2 years afterwards, right? So I think at that point I could read the manga volumes up until it hits the New World series.

As far as the manga goes, I noticed it has around 70 volumes. Usually when I watch an anime adaption of something, I first finish the series and then go to the material it originated from. And considering One Piece isn't over, I was thinking of starting the manga once I finish the first half of the anime. From what I looked up, at one point the series transitions into a "new world" that has stories that take place 2 years afterwards, right? So I think at that point I could read the manga volumes up until it hits the New World series.

That sounds like a solid plan that can hold you over. At the rate you're going I'm sure FUNIMATION will be close to finishing the first half of One Piece.

Alright so I managed to finish season 1 today, surprisingly. :D And I really like what they're doing. The idea of Buggy the Clown returning is an interesting plot point and I'm glad we got to see a glimpse of the characters Luffy and co. met previously. You see, with most series, specifically Pokemon, when new friends or foes are introduced they say "We'll meet again soon!" but don't actually do, unless the character is part of the main cast. Here, however, I'm glad they're not just pushing away characters constantly, so it was a nice little surprise.

So now I'm gonna start season 2 with the Loguetown arc. I gotta say, things are getting interesting. I like the concept of the town of the beginning and the end, and it's nice to see Gold Roger acknowledged in the story. Again, with most series you don't see that. 

Now as far as the Funimation dub goes, I noticed it's currently at season 5. At which point does the New World series start? I think I may have to eventually transition into the Japanese version, which I'm totally fine with. It's just that now I'm watching at quite a rapid pace. Mind you I have finals coming up in 2 weeks so I'll probably go back to a slow pace after this weekend, but with summer around the corner that will quickly change. 

Isn't Logue Town part of season 1? I could've sworn everything pre-Grand Line was.

The time skip starts at episode 517 and Season 5 ends at episode 336, if I'm not mistaken.

Isn't Logue Town part of season 1? I could've sworn everything pre-Grand Line was.

The time skip starts at episode 517 and Season 5 ends at episode 336, if I'm not mistaken.

Well, I really don't know to be honest. I can't find anywhere that states which episodes are part of which season. I just assume it's a new season because it has a new OP. :V And thanks for the info on the time skip. 

Here's a list of the DVDs split into Funimation's seasons: http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/FUNimation_Entertainment/Episode_List_and_DVD_Releases

So, hold on. Season 1 ends at episode 53? I find it really misleading how they changed the op in episode 48, only a few episodes before season 2. But whatever. I guess I still have a bit to watch until season 1's over. 

If I were to fancy a guess, the New World half of the story will be season 10. Provided there are no long breaks after September, that season could be out in 4 years.

BTW, you probably won't ever have to pick up the manga since the anime persists on staying as close to the manga as possible without filler breaks (hence the pacing issues).

Does One Piece even have "seasons"? Shouldn't everything just count as one, decade and a half long season? tongue.png

Oh and if you are watching them by Funimation releases (I watch online and buy the sets later, so I can get some info screwed up) make sure you grab the collections instead of the individual "voyages". Each collection holds a whole "season", usually 26 episodes, while a voyage only contains a fifth or sixth of the season.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh and if you are watching them by Funimation releases (I watch online and buy the sets later, so I can get some info screwed up) make sure you grab the collections instead of the individual "voyages". Each collection holds a whole "season", usually 26 episodes, while a voyage only contains a fifth or sixth of the season.

Yeah, you know that's what I found strange. The Funimation collections are advertised as seasons. Well, at least here in Europe they are. But strangely enough if you go by how long the actual seasons are, each 2 collections amount to a season. Eh, I'll just stick with my categorization of new op=new season because it's easier to keep track of. Because, really the first half of the show is one massive season.

Oh you're in the UK. You don't get the voyages anyway lol. Yeah just work up on those collections.

But serious, the fuck is this shit? The UK is getting the first 6 One Piece films on DVD while I don't see that anywhere in the US. That's really strange since the US always get's One Piece first (minus video games). Is Funimation just not doing it for us? Also needs to be Bluray

Well, to be precise I'm from Greece. Just currently living in Jordan. Anywho, those collections seem pretty nice. Although I'm a bit upset about them not being English dub. Then again, Funi doesn't dub a lot of the movies. Perhaps a store I know may stock in the collections. However, it is a bit slow on imports. Last time I checked they had up to collection 4 of the series (and that was 2 weeks ago through their online store) and collection 5 and 6 have already been released in the UK. Also I don't see the need for Blu-Ray. Most of these films were released in SD format, right? 

Edit: Oh wow. I just noticed on Amazon UK they have the collections from 14-25 pounds each. In Greece, each goes for 40 euros. I hate how expensive imports can be. >:L

Edited by SwiftWinds

Having seen comparisons between the French Blu-Ray and the German DVD of the first movie, the Blu-Ray looked way better. 

Oh, so they were already released on Blu-Ray in other countries? Never mind then. I assumed the movies hadn't been released on Blu-Ray before. Perhaps the French one was a remaster, which would explain the higher quality.

They're only subbed, though.

and?

Well, to be precise I'm from Greece. Just currently living in Jordan. Anywho, those collections seem pretty nice. Although I'm a bit upset about them not being English dub. Then again, Funi doesn't dub a lot of the movies. Perhaps a store I know may stock in the collections. However, it is a bit slow on imports. Last time I checked they had up to collection 4 of the series (and that was 2 weeks ago through their online store) and collection 5 and 6 have already been released in the UK. Also I don't see the need for Blu-Ray. Most of these films were released in SD format, right? 

Edit: Oh wow. I just noticed on Amazon UK they have the collections from 14-25 pounds each. In Greece, each goes for 40 euros. I hate how expensive imports can be. >:L

Bluray is 1080p (sometimes 1080i or 720p, but usually upscaled) while DVD is 480p

Resolution-Comparison.jpg

You're getting a much better picture and sound with Bluray

Bluray is 1080p (sometimes 1080i or 720p, but usually upscaled) while DVD is 480p

Resolution-Comparison.jpg

You're getting a much better picture and sound with Bluray

Well, yeah I'm aware of that. But sometimes when something isn't produced in a HD resolution, the picture won't make a big difference on Blu-Ray unless it's a remastered version.