Awoo.

I love every dub Strawhat. I find it just takes time to get accustomed to the english voices because certain Japanese performances don't work in English. For starters, no one could ever do a Japanese Franky effectively in English, because it's such a purely Japanese performance. So I just enjoy the English dub for being something different; Oda realized it too, seeing as how he picked all their voices. 

I don't prefer one or the other, but I still love them both. I'm looking forward to getting the collection sets, seeing as how they're the best way for me to catch up on DVD releases. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't like the English voices particularly either. Especially Luffy.

I like Sanji, though. Nami's pretty good too. Going by that clip, Brook sounds OK.

I love every dub Strawhat. I find it just takes time to get accustomed to the english voices because certain Japanese performances don't work in English. For starters, no one could ever do a Japanese Franky effectively in English, because it's such a purely Japanese performance. So I just enjoy the English dub for being something different; Oda realized it too, seeing as how he picked all their voices. 

Wait, Oda picked all the dub voices too?

Also, my copy of Unlimited World Red Wii U arrived today! I've been playing a lot of the Coliseum mode so far, and it's surprisingly solid and good, loads of content and fun gameplay from all characters. For an anime game, it's really good I think. Maybe that's just my current One Piece mode talking though..

If you like One Piece a lot and have been looking for an excuse to get a One Piece game, I think this is a good one to go with!

Also, my copy of Unlimited World Red Wii U arrived today! I've been playing a lot of the Coliseum mode so far, and it's surprisingly solid and good, loads of content and fun gameplay from all characters. For an anime game, it's really good I think. Maybe that's just my current One Piece mode talking though..

If you like One Piece a lot and have been looking for an excuse to get a One Piece game, I think this is a good one to go with!

.... Ugh you Brits and liking One Piece more than Americans. I have to wait until the 8th for my copy to ship. Plus you guys get the Chopper edition to.

Plus Charmy aside from the voices their performances are hit and miss as well. Luffy sounds too intense alot of the time when he should be more light sounding. Brook's actor is awesome though. He got his "Yohohohoho" down as well, which is a must.

And for people already collecting One Piece. Do you recommend buying the voyages or waiting for the collections? Once I catch up with the collections I plan on just buying the season 6 voyages, but I'm wondering if I'll regret it.

Yes, he picked them all for when Funi took back the series.

The Unlimited games are very good for anime games, and don't spare the good modes. They have some of the best gameplay which the anime can offer, even if they don't push too many boundaries. 

.... Ugh you Brits and liking One Piece more than Americans. I have to wait until the 8th for my copy to ship. Plus you guys get the Chopper edition to.

Plus Charmy aside from the voices their performances are hit and miss as well. Luffy sounds too intense alot of the time when he should be more light sounding. Brook's actor is awesome though. He got his "Yohohohoho" down as well, which is a must 

The problem with Luffy is that trying to have a woman voice a teenager is not something we do in America. Mayumi Tanaka's performance is just like Goku and Masako Nozawa, a female voice just doesn't work in English because it usually gets too scratchy. However, Coleen puts a lot of heart into her Luffy performance, so let none say that she doesn't give it her all. I've listened to her voice for years now, and I've grown to love her performance along with the rest of the Strawhats. 

The problem with Luffy is that trying to have a woman voice a teenager is not something we do in America. Mayumi Tanaka's performance is just like Goku and Masako Nozawa, a female voice just doesn't work in English because it usually gets too scratchy. However, Coleen puts a lot of heart into her Luffy performance, so let none say that she doesn't give it her all. I've listened to her voice for years now, and I still love her performance along with the rest of the Strawhats. 

There might be some truth to that since Naruto's english voice is also eurgh. It still doesn't change that the delivery sounds odd to me alot of the time.

And for people already collecting One Piece. Do you recommend buying the voyages or waiting for the collections? Once I catch up with the collections I plan on just buying the season 6 voyages, but I'm wondering if I'll regret it.

The collections are cheap as hell, buy them now. However, buy the voyages once you catch up because they pay for the upfront cost to keep One Piece going.

And since season 6 has 48 episodes, it will only be four sets.

The collections are cheap as hell, buy them now. However, buy the voyages once you catch up because they pay for the upfront cost to keep One Piece going.

And since season 6 has 48 episodes, it will only be four sets.

How am I supposed to buy them now if Unlimited Adventure Red is hitting the bank in a few days? @_@

The voyages sound a bit cumbersome since theres so much with every season. Plus the collections'll get hot New World Straw Hat designs for the covers once it gets to that point.

Speaking of which, I am a mere 5 episodes away from being a cool-all caught up with One Piece-cat. Usoland!

How am I supposed to buy them now if Unlimited Adventure Red is hitting the bank in a few days? @_@

The voyages sound a bit cumbersome since theres so much with every season. Plus the collections'll get hot New World Straw Hat designs for the covers once it gets to that point.

Speaking of which, I am a mere 5 episodes away from being a cool-all caught up with One Piece-cat. Usoland!

Don't worry mate, you've got 'til September to figure out costs.

May as well buy Thriller Bark and Saobaody. Those arcs are fairly short, all things considered.

Speaking of the new World, guess what FUNi just uploaded?! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't worry mate, you've got 'til September to figure out costs.

May as well buy Thriller Bark and Saobaody. Those arcs are fairly short, all things considered.

Speaking of the new World, guess what FUNi just uploaded?! 

Woah. This looks amazing. I don't usually watch anime movies until they're released over here so this is my first time seeing this. Consider me on the hype train. This was the one written by Oda?

Woah. This looks amazing. I don't usually watch anime movies until they're released over here so this is my first time seeing this. Consider me on the hype train. This was the one written by Oda?

Second actually. Strong World was the first.

Second actually. Strong World was the first.

He wrote two??? Goddamn no wonder that man ended up in the hospital. Doesn't he ever get sick of Luffy? Regardless, this only further fuels my desire for this.

Is Film Z canon? I know that Strong World was supposed to be canon, but I honestly wasn't entirely impressed with it.

Is Film Z canon? I know that Strong World was supposed to be canon, but I honestly wasn't entirely impressed with it.

Strong World is debatably canon. Film Z is not canon... but no one knows if the characters are. 

Don't worry about Film Z, it is a different film than Strong World. Strong World is what I would describe as the beginner's One Piece film; it eases you into the world. Film Z is the film for One Piece fans who understand the current going ons in the manga. (Well, at the time this film was made, that was Punk Hazard.)

For any foreigners who were blocked by Funimation. I forgot they block some of their trailers. (I'll keep the FUNi link, since views are good for them to know there's attention.)

(Edit: Oh yeah, forgot to say, they're keeping the Avril Lavinge song.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwCdwbmVmpw

• Thumbs Up 2

Still playing Unlimited World Red Coliseum, and man it feels good to kick Aokiji and Akainu's asses with Nami and Robin (why they're working together I'll never know, this Coliseum is non-canon as all heck.)

Also speaking of non-canon, guess what one of the missions I have to do is?

"Beat Akainu as Ace"

this game is fricking RUDE man. RUDE as heck.

• Thumbs Up 1

Still playing Unlimited World Red Coliseum, and man it feels good to kick Aokiji and Akainu's asses with Nami and Robin (why they're working together I'll never know, this Coliseum is non-canon as all heck.)

Also speaking of non-canon, guess what one of the missions I have to do is?

"Beat Akainu as Ace"

this game is fricking RUDE man. RUDE as heck.

Wow, that mission title just burns me up. I'm so hot, I may start melting. 

I kid, I kid. 

After all, lava is hotter than fire. 

cool.png 

• Thumbs Up 1

funny-luffy-one-piece.jpg

Title: Episode 652 ''The Final Battleground - The D Block Battle Begins''

Script: Yonemura Shoji
Storyboard: Tokoro Katsumi
Episode director: Tokoro Katsumi
Animation director: Isochi Yusuke

Watch here: http://www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece/episode-652-the-last-and-bloodiest-block-block-d-battle-begins-653845

My thoughts:

Really good episode this week. I thought the sound direction for the beginning of the episode was simply incredible. When I saw that moment in the preview, I thought it was going to be a bad scene, however they used the music from Ace's death and use echo to great effect. And after the emotional tug from last week, it genuinely pissed me off to see the crowd piss all over Rebecca like that and when Cavendish showed up, it really made me respect him more. 

It's times like this when I remember why I like the anime. It can deliver a very powerful scene if handed to the correct director, (and if they vary up the music more often). 

The scene with Doflamingo was also great, even if it was implied filler. I really liked how it wasn't just the same repetitive dialogue most implied filler uses which definitely gives me hope about the script writer for the future. 

Nothing much really happened when you think of it, but the episode didn't feel too slow, which is surprising, seeing as this episode only used half a chapter

Final thoughts:

Pretty A-ight

A-ight

H-half a chapter? Holy shit what? Just give us some goddamn filler Toei. Like just stuff a few episodes of filler in there we're big kids we can handle it.

Guess it's reassuring they aren't handling this "half a chapter" business too bad.

H-half a chapter? Holy shit what? Just give us some goddamn filler Toei. Like just stuff a few episodes of filler in there we're big kids we can handle it.

Guess it's reassuring they aren't handling this "half a chapter" business too bad.

How good this episode is depends on how much you like Rebecca. I like her a lot, so this episode really grabbed me. 

Also, this isn't the first half chapter episode, not even in this arc. In fact, the last half chapter episode in this arc is considered one of the best ones. Go figure Toei got lucky with a good director.

(For the first, remember that episode when Sanji went into the bad guy hideout? That was a half chapter episode.)

Ridiculous. I suppose Toei is in panic mode because of Oda's break. What the anime really needs is a break of it's own for that duration of time even if its just filler. At some point half-chapter episodes may become the norm and obviously no one wants that.

Is there not much filler these days because it's unpopular, or because the story isn't providing any opportunities for it?

I mean, I remember some of my friends who watched Bleach saying that that show's later filler arcs basically had to be shoved right in the middle of canon arcs with no real attempt made to fit them in coherently, since the story just wasn't leaving room for diversions. I can definitely understand not wanting to have to resort to that.

(also I'm glad to hear that Unlimited World Red isn't bad; I'll definitely grab it when it comes out here)

Is there not much filler these days because it's unpopular, or because the story isn't providing any opportunities for it?

I mean, I remember some of my friends who watched Bleach saying that that show's later filler arcs basically had to be shoved right in the middle of canon arcs with no real attempt made to fit them in coherently, since the story just wasn't leaving room for diversions. I can definitely understand not wanting to have to resort to that.

(also I'm glad to hear that Unlimited World Red isn't bad; I'll definitely grab it when it comes out here)

Toei are often so pressed for time, that their writers can't write anything decent. Not only that, they can't make merchandise off filler, because no one will buy it. If Toei wants, they can make filler happen, but it'll usually be only 3-4 episodes. Back in the day, it would usually be 7-8. They made a little filler arc happen before Dressrosa, but it was so stupidly rushed, it wasted a good premise. 

Bah, Visionary got to it before me. But yes Toei is pretty much the company expy of Mr. Krabs. They won't bother spending money on anything One Piece except canon material, even though One Piece makes them the big bucks. They have tiny filler episodes between arcs (ex. Caesar Retrieval Arc lasted three episodes between Punk Hazard and Dressrosa), but won't do anything that will help the pacing of the regular episodes since it isn't as popular with fans. I'm beginning to think that Toei really doesn't care about raising the quality of One Piece, even if the newer episodes do look better.

Also as Visionary said they keep so close to the manga that they are pretty much always working on new episodes. Hence alot of different directors.

Bah, Visionary got to it before me. But yes Toei is pretty much the company expy of Mr. Krabs. They won't bother spending money on anything One Piece except canon material, even though One Piece makes them the big bucks. They have tiny filler episodes between arcs (ex. Caesar Retrieval Arc lasted three episodes between Punk Hazard and Dressrosa), but won't do anything that will help the pacing of the regular episodes since it isn't as popular with fans. I'm beginning to think that Toei really doesn't care about raising the quality of One Piece, even if the newer episodes do look better.

Also as Visionary said they keep so close to the manga that they are pretty much always working on new episodes. Hence alot of different directors.

They don't care about long running series in general.

You see, most series make huge money from selling DVD sales with expensive DVDs, but with a series like One Piece, few people in Japan feel like collecting three episode DVD sets for $50 and it just keeps going on and on, that most people don't buy more, and because One Piece is so long, most people don't want to keep up collecting something like that with no end in sight.

So Toei puts their biggest effort on short series, TV specials, and movies, while their longest running shows get varying quality due to it selling anyways.