Awoo.

Well. It was a two year process, but here I am. 651 episodes of One Piece later and I'm all caught up. It was a wild ride and now I get to play the waiting game with all you losers tongue.png

They don't care about long running series in general.

You see, most series make huge money from selling DVD sales with expensive DVDs, but with a series like One Piece, few people in Japan feel like collecting three episode DVD sets for $50 and it just keeps going on and on, that most people don't buy more, and because One Piece is so long, most people don't want to keep up collecting something like that with no end in sight.

So Toei puts their biggest effort on short series, TV specials, and movies, while their longest running shows get varying quality due to it selling anyways. 

Really? I thought otakus loved throwing money away for anime. 

But I guess that makes sense. Since it is their cash cow I wish they'd give it more respect than what it gets now. It is after all slightly better than Naruto's situation, two years filler for every one year of canon.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well. It was a two year process, but here I am. 651 episodes of One Piece later and I'm all caught up. It was a wild ride and now I get to play the waiting game with all you losers :P

Good, now watch the latest episode so I don't feel like I'm talking to thin air. :P

Good, now watch the latest episode so I don't feel like I'm talking to thin air. tongue.png

I use my Wii U to watch anime so I have to wait for my streaming site to get it. I know it's on Funimation, but I'd rather watch it on my big screen. It's really late with the episode today. Even though today IS One Piece day

Also those three-way crossover episodes were godawful. Seriously horrendous.

I use my Wii U to watch anime so I have to wait for my streaming site to get it. I know it's on Funimation, but I'd rather watch it on my big screen. It's really late with the episode today. Even though today IS One Piece day

Also those three-way crossover episodes were godawful. Seriously horrendous.

Can't you watch it on crunchy roll? You can expand the screen.

Yes, those three way episodes are simply bad, join the club.

Really? I thought otakus loved throwing money away for anime.

But I guess that makes sense. Since it is their cash cow I wish they'd give it more respect than what it gets now. It is after all slightly better than Naruto's situation, two years filler for every one year of canon.

Otaku are small in number and growing smaller. They're good for buying toys and other merch.

Can't you watch it on crunchy roll? You can expand the screen.

Yes, those three way episodes are simply bad, join the club.

Nope. Can't use console Crunchyroll with a non-paying account, which is what mine is atm. tongue.png

Don't worry though, I'll get to you as soon as I watch it. Assuming you don't fall asleep before Dandy Time

Otaku are small in number and growing smaller. They're good for buying toys and other merch.

Then how do you explain the spike in moeblob shows if there are less otaku :(

Hooray! It's good to get more people caught up to current events. It feels less like I'm talking to thin air when I do my reviews now. 

What's your thoughts of Dressrosa thus far GOAT?

Dude...Favorite arc of the show since the CP9 arc. Is it just me or is OP getting pretty dark with the whole toy/human thing going on? Like when they first got to Dressarosa I was like wow cool, living toys so cute. Now that I know the back story I am just like wtf...

Then how do you explain the spike in moeblob shows if there are less otaku :(

Most moeblob shows aren't over a hundred episodes. So it's a safer investment.

Most moeblob shows aren't over a hundred episodes. So it's a safer investment.

Well you got me there. Moeblobs are supreme.

Does anyone have any experience with the One Piece 3-in-1 manga books. I was looking up the volumes the other day and I heard that there was something wrong with the paper quality? 

Well you got me there. Moeblobs are supreme.

Does anyone have any experience with the One Piece 3-in-1 manga books. I was looking up the volumes the other day and I heard that there was something wrong with the paper quality?

It's obviously thinner and cheaper paper. It would be too expensive for Viz to print that many volumes worth of material of a book that costs less than three volumes. That's losing money.

It's obviously thinner and cheaper paper. It would be too expensive for Viz to print that many volumes worth of material of a book that costs less than three volumes. That's losing money.

Well yeah, but I have the first Naruto (the days before I found One Piece) omnibuses and they feel fine. I was just wondering if the OP omnibuses had anything special about them.

Another thing you gotta keep in mind is that depending on what part of the story it's at, the anime can sometimes cover two or more manga chapters, especially if little has been happening in the manga. One of the main reasons long-running anime gets filler in the first place is because they can sometimes catch up too close to the manga, and need to slow down a bit in order to let the manga gain a big lead in the plot again. Most manga chapters are only 15-20 pages, it's difficult to cover that much in each, so an anime can sometimes cover multiple manga chapters. Covering half a chapter is fine if the chapter has been particularly eventful or they're trying to avoid filler.

Not many people like filler. Sometimes I think people would rather see the series go on a month of hiatus with no new episodes than sit through a filler arc. I don't watch filler anyway, so it's *like* having no new episodes until it's over anyway :v

Dude...Favorite arc of the show since the CP9 arc. Is it just me or is OP getting pretty dark with the whole toy/human thing going on? Like when they first got to Dressarosa I was like wow cool, living toys so cute. Now that I know the back story I am just like wtf...

If you ask me OP has been pretty seriously dark since the Sabaody arc where things like human and fishman trafficking/slavery were brought to attention again and the powerlessness of people in front of the Celestial Dragons was really emphasised.

Tbh I actually think the first time One Piece reall got "dark" was in Water 7. I mean when I was marathoning the series, I noticed a considerable change in tone in that arc when the usually happy go lucky crew were suddenly drawn with more dark colours and lighting and they had some pretty serious arguments. It's hard to describe, but it definitely felt *different*. And then since Sabaody, we've had things like human trafficking and slavery, serious racism, drug abuse, child trafficking and drug testing, nuclear warfare, and now the toy thing.

One Piece deals with a surprising amount of important issues in pretty metaphorical ways.

(It's a shame that despite this Oda still can't write or draw female characters respectfully for shit)

• Thumbs Up 1

I find Oda is in this weird middle ground with writing his female characters. They usually have good personalities and are fun characters, but Oda never wants to hurt them except against other women. They always come away so clean, like as if being treated like fragile dolls.

And then there's the fanservice (which the anime makes a million times worse). Honestly, I think that part is a psychological way of him saying he misses his wife, seeing as he only sleeps four hours a day and barely does it at home. Of course, that's just me guessing since he used to be so good with female characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really miss the way he used to draw his women. They had more variety! Look at Robin now... She practically looks like Hancock in a different outfit, and Rebecca looks like Nami with pink hair.

Oda used to have no problems with pretty women getting hurt. Luffy has hit several women in the past, such as Vivi, Miss Valentine, and the Boa sisters (although that one could be debated since they were transformed at the time). Oda is perfectly fine with ugly/fat women getting thrown into the brawl and taking several bloody hits. The biggest notable change in the series is when Zoro went OOC in Punk Hazard by refusing to hurt Monet. Seriously, what? She was still a considerable threat to the crew. The way Zoro handled it seemed like something Sanji would reluctantly do, honestly. Do you guys remember when Sanji wasn't afraid to hold a gun up to a woman's head because she was a threat? Oh, how far he has fallen. :/

• Thumbs Up 1

I wish I could tell him that, but I think all of Oda's letters are screened by his staff and they probably would throw a foreign letter out that isn't a compliment. 

I find Oda is in this weird middle ground with writing his female characters. They usually have good personalities and are fun characters, but Oda never wants to hurt them except against other women. They always come away so clean, like as if being treated like fragile dolls.

The problem here is that Oda WAS able to write good female characters in the past. Nami was actually my favourite character in the series, before...thriller bark or somewhere down the line. Nowadays, though, it seems that the guy has forgot about that little touch of magic. Nami is now used purely for fanservice (yeah, she was fanservice material even before the time-skip, but it wasn't her only purpose) and females just look too much alike.

I loved Nami's fight against Miss Doublefinger and Robin fighting against that fat guy during the Skypea arc. Then again, I stopped liking One Piece the way I used to during my childhood and adolescence, even putting the way Oda writes females aside.

I've yet to find something after the time-skip that made me cry internally like Dr. Hiruruku's death, the crew's goodbye to Bibi and Robin's "I want to live" during the CP9 arc.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really miss the way he used to draw his women. They had more variety! Look at Robin now... She practically looks like Hancock in a different outfit, and Rebecca looks like Nami with pink hair.

Oda used to have no problems with pretty women getting hurt. Luffy has hit several women in the past, such as Vivi, Ms. Goldeweek, and the Boa sisters (although that one could be debated since they were transformed at the time). Oda is perfectly fine with ugly/fat women getting thrown into the brawl and taking several bloody hits. The biggest notable change in the series is when Zoro went OOC in Punk Hazard by refusing to hurt Monet. Seriously, what? She was still a considerable threat to the crew. The way Zoro handled it seemed like something Sanji would reluctantly do, honestly. Do you guys remember when Sanji wasn't afraid to hold a gun up to a woman's head because she was a threat? Oh, how far he has fallen. :/

Yeah all this and more has been bugging me more and more lately. Sanji's character has gone to shit because of it, degraded to his lone character trait being "CAN'T HURT CUTE GIRLS LEL" "CAN'T BE EVIL CAUSE CUTE GIRLS LEL" "HAPPY TO VALUE THE SAFETY OF CUTE GIRLS OVER MY CAPTAIN LEL", Zoro not attacking Monet was fricking ridiculous, every woman who isn't evil is drawn the same, "pretty" women are never really evil but just ~pretending~ to be evil, or are being controlled, or are secretly good or some other cop out.

And the only actually "evil" lady characters? Are purposefully shown as "ugly".

That's not to mention how Nami and Robin barely get any lines, character development or battles anymore. Every battle is just saved for Luffy, Zoro or Sanji. I love the overall plot of One Piece but the way he treats female characters is getting increasingly frustrated and difficult to ignore.

Maybe Oda just misses his wife, but I all the time wish that he would make female characters like he used to, or even go one better and actually improve over the past rather than make it worse. Sigh. :c

• Thumbs Up 3

That's not to mention how Nami and Robin barely get any lines, character development or battles anymore. Every battle is just saved for Luffy, Zoro or Sanji. I love the overall plot of One Piece but the way he treats female characters is getting increasingly frustrated and difficult to ignore.

Maybe Oda just misses his wife, but I all the time wish that he would make female characters like he used to, or even go one better and actually improve over the past rather than make it worse. Sigh. :c

Well, that probably applies to all characters outside of the monster trio. Ensemble casts are hard when your main is the one who has to take the most of the attention and his right hand men are the strongest behind him.

Though with Robin, it's hard to say. She's probably the hardest character to write for because everyone she fights just gets, "snap" and falls. You have to really think of a foe she can't do that do easily and that's something I would struggle with.

But Nami, definitely has no excuse for being what she is. I just want her to have a serious fight again.

Not only that, but Oda seems to follow a rigid template for female characters. Usually off Nami, everyone looks like her.

He did really good with the Amazoness designs I don't know why he went back to "Nami with brown hair".

Oh, but yes, as an Usopp fan, I am constantly disappointed by his lack of fights. Luffy always has to take the big bad while Sanji and Zoro take down anyone else. Nami probably has the least fights though, a bit justified since she isn't really a combat oriented person.

• Thumbs Up 2

If he misses his wife, drawing women like exaggerated sexual objects and making them incompetent isn't a good way of showing it. :U

Naw, really, I'm sure he's doing much better now I'm regards to his family. JUMP and his editors are forcing him to take breaks more often because it has slowly started taking a toll on his health (that and JUMP can't afford to lose him just yet and it'll drag out One Piece's stay in their magazine). Several of my friends hate Oda for this because all they want is ACTIONACTIONACTION. I don't know why some people think Oda is some kind of super human. The man usually gets 3 hours of sleep when he works and smokes several packs a week. He needs to take it easy once in a while.

• Thumbs Up 1

And the only actually "evil" lady characters? Are purposefully shown as "ugly".

So Monet isnt evil or..?

If he misses his wife, drawing women like exaggerated sexual objects and making them incompetent isn't a good way of showing it. :U

Naw, really, I'm sure he's doing much better now I'm regards to his family. JUMP and his editors are forcing him to take breaks more often because it has slowly started taking a toll on his health (that and JUMP can't afford to lose him just yet and it'll drag out One Piece's stay in their magazine). Several of my friends hate Oda for this because all they want is ACTIONACTIONACTION. I don't know why some people think Oda is some kind of super human. The man usually gets 3 hours of sleep on when he works and smokes several packs a week. He needs to take it easy once in a while.

Yeah, the man needs to quit on the cigs while he's ahead. He's only 40 and driving his body to the grinder with this erratic sleep schedule. That's very common for JUMP mangaka I know, but the cigs aren't helping.

So Monet isnt evil or..?

She is. She just got off too easy for someone who's evil... 

ok, so she got herself stabbed in the heart, but it was a pretty clean way to kill her without damaging her pretty face.

• Thumbs Up 3

You guys remember how Nami is able to punch all the guys in a comically-fashioned way on screen? When she tried doing it in the Punk Hazard arc when she was in Franky's body and Sanji was in her body, it had to shown off screen.

It irks me that Oda can't supposedly joke around with women like that. The segregation in the way he treats his women in comparison to men even in gag situations is disappointing.

• Thumbs Up 3

So Monet isnt evil or..?

Monet is "tragic" :v the viewer is consistently invited to pity her or sympathise with her rather than fear her or feel intimidated by her, and her death scene is really poetic and melancholy even though she's supposed to be like.. "evil". Why? Also the fact that Zoro goes easy on her cause she's a girl until Tashigi comes along (girls can only be beaten by girls!) is really lame

On a less problematic note, I'm still playing a lot of Unlimited World Red's Coliseum mode and true to form, Eneru is probably the hardest boss to beat out of every boss I've fought so far ._. I've only managed to beat him once, "God" indeed.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am trying to get back into the series, what happened to Oda's wife?

Nothin', he just cares a lot about her but barely ever ever gets to see her because he's overworking himself to an early grave.