Awoo.

Speaking of Sanji, like I said in the statuses before, he really seems to have a soft spot for Usopp. I love that dynamic between them. Sanji's always praising Usopp and seems to have real faith in him. It especially shows during Water 7 when he injures Luffy when he tells Usopp to leave the crew. He also supports Usopp's "Sogeking" persona when everyone else called it ridiculous. I don't think it was ever implied he disliked the male portion of the crew, in fact he respects them alot, he's just good at not showing it.

• Thumbs Up 3

I guess you're right, I'm just especially put off Sanji lately after Fishman Island and now Dressrosa, where his monologues made it seem he had every intention of abandoning the StrawHats for the sake of Viola and acted like 500% naive around her. That whole bit just really reaally bugged me.

Mostly because I was hoping she would turn out to be genuinely evil just so Sanji could finally see how stupid his "chivalry" can be and how much it can genuinely harm the StrawHats. But nope, she was "secretly good" of course, completely justifying his pathetic, naive behaviour and not teaching him a thing about trust or valuing his comrades over women. Because I think that's a lesson he really needs to learn, it's a long time coming, and I'm annoyed that the possibility it'll never be addressed is actually a real one.

I guess you're right, I'm just especially put off Sanji lately after Fishman Island and now Dressrosa, where his monologues made it seem he had every intention of abandoning the StrawHats for the sake of Viola and acted like 500% naive around her. That whole bit just really reaally bugged me.

Mostly because I was hoping she would turn out to be genuinely evil just so Sanji could finally see how stupid his "chivalry" can be and how much it can genuinely harm the StrawHats. But nope, she was "secretly good" of course, completely justifying his pathetic, naive behaviour and not teaching him a thing about trust or valuing his comrades over women. Because I think that's a lesson he really needs to learn, it's a long time coming, and I'm annoyed that the possibility it'll never be addressed is actually a real one.

I don't think he'd ever leave the Straw Hats. It's probably just his testosterone talking :P

Yeah I was hoping that to. I was moaning when Violet started tearing up and was "I was good all along you were right". This behavior shouldn't be rewarded, Violet 

• Thumbs Up 3

I really miss the way he used to draw his women. They had more variety! Look at Robin now... She practically looks like Hancock in a different outfit, and Rebecca looks like Nami with pink hair.

Oda used to have no problems with pretty women getting hurt. Luffy has hit several women in the past, such as Vivi, Miss Valentine, and the Boa sisters (although that one could be debated since they were transformed at the time). Oda is perfectly fine with ugly/fat women getting thrown into the brawl and taking several bloody hits. The biggest notable change in the series is when Zoro went OOC in Punk Hazard by refusing to hurt Monet. Seriously, what? She was still a considerable threat to the crew. The way Zoro handled it seemed like something Sanji would reluctantly do, honestly. Do you guys remember when Sanji wasn't afraid to hold a gun up to a woman's head because she was a threat? Oh, how far he has fallen. :/

Evaluating what the series is now, it's a shame that Oda is reluctant for "pretty" women to get hurt. The last I remember a woman getting brutally hurt by a man was when Spandam was kicking a defenseless Robin around when she was still in chains. I don't know if Rebecca's mother being shot by one of Doflamingo's henchman count (since the gunshot happened offscreen and we don't see where the wound was), but that happened. And Tashigi, one of my favorite characters, is treated like shit from Oda (Robin breaking her legs and Monet brutally biting on her) but so far she's only dealt with other women so far in the series. I thought we'd finally get a reunion-like showdown between her and Zoro at Punk Hazard, but I guess its too soon as Zoro far outclasses her (being trained by Mihawk and all that). And yeah, Zoro not hurting Monet was extremely OOC and seemed unnecessarily chivalrous?  

I'm not sure where I stand with Sanji. I never liked his one-dimensional love and respect for women and I always see these traits as gags or detriments to him. At the same time, I feel he does show himself as a valued Straw Hat crew member able to literally kick ass with his flaming hot legs and having respect for his crew mates. Maybe his rivalry with Zoro is probably why I don't mind him as a major character, I dunno. I guess I'm neutral on him for the matter.

Deep down he doesn't want to abandon his crew, but yeah, that was just the testosterone talking. Just when Sanji was kinda getting used to being around women, he got sent to an island full of flamboyant men for two years. This did anything but help his pathetic and asinine behavior displayed after the timeskip. If he truly wanted to abandon his crew, the best time for him to do so was when he found out Luffy expected him to stay put on that island for two years. He could have easily said "fuck it" and left, but he didn't because he knew his crew needed him and vice versa. He's in a psychological battle with himself and his lust, and unfortunately his crew is possible collateral damage.

Evaluating what the series is now, it's a shame that Oda is reluctant for "pretty" women to get hurt. The last I remember a woman getting brutally hurt by a man was when Spandam was kicking a defenseless Robin around when she was still in chains. I don't know if Rebecca's mother being shot by one of Doflamingo's henchman count (since the gunshot happened offscreen and we don't see where the wound was), but that happened. And Tashigi, one of my favorite characters, is treated like shit from Oda (Robin breaking her legs and Monet brutally biting on her) but so far she's only dealt with other women so far in the series.

Flashbacks don't count as Oda has always had plenty of leeway with them. Before Ace and Whitebeard were killed, it was originally thought that significant characters would only die in flashbacks. This made Marineford's twist extremely shocking at the time.

And yeah, poor Tashigi. I also really hated Smoker in her body.

• Thumbs Up 3

On a different conversation, when I watched Strong World a year ago there was a wide consensus that it was canon, but now most people consider it to be non-canon. Did something happen to change that?

Also I know that Shiki was mentioned in the anime and manga at some point or another despite Strong World not necessarily being canon, so is Shiki at least a canon character? Pretty confusing, it'd be nice if there was some clarification somewhere.

On a different conversation, when I watched Strong World a year ago there was a wide consensus that it was canon, but now most people consider it to be non-canon. Did something happen to change that?

Also I know that Shiki was mentioned in the anime and manga at some point or another despite Strong World not necessarily being canon, so is Shiki at least a canon character? Pretty confusing, it'd be nice if there was some clarification somewhere.

Shiki and his crew are canon, but the events of Strong World the movie are not considered canon to most people because then Shiki would be in Impel Down and because Brook said, "It's my first battle" (something along those lines) when fighting the flying fish riders.

Shiki and his crew are canon, but the events of Strong World the movie are not considered canon to most people because then Shiki would be in Impel Down and because Brook said, "It's my first battle" (something along those lines) when fighting the flying fish riders.

I noticed the same thing about Brook, but I thought Shiki escaped Impel Down sometime earlier in the series? Didn't they say he was the only person to ever escape Impel Down?

I noticed the same thing about Brook, but I thought Shiki escaped Impel Down sometime earlier in the series? Didn't they say he was the only person to ever escape Impel Down?

Yes, but the marines... ambiguously recaptured him after he was beaten in Strong World, so he'd have to be transferred back to Impel Down.

Yes, but the marines... ambiguously recaptured him after he was beaten in Strong World, so he'd have to be transferred back to Impel Down.

Oh yeah good point. I suppose he could have been one of the many Level 6 convicts that weren't shown specifically, but in that case he would have been released again anyway.. maybe he was one of the escapees that Jean Ango managed to recapture :P (I doubt it though)

I hated him around Enies Lobby where he refused to fight the enemy, Kalifa, because she was a girl, despite the fact that they were on a time sensitive mission for Robin's life and you'd think he'd give enough of a shit about her to drop his chilvary code, that would have been a good developmental time for Sanji but I guess not

• Thumbs Up 2

I do hope that Oda does put him in that tough position again and make him even more pressed to actually violate that code. Then that would be some great development for him.

You know, something that also bugged me about Oda's female designs. Remember Fishman island, where every mermaid looked gorgeous, and every merman looked like a muppet. What was up with that? 

Well, to be fair, Oda had a reason for that. He stated in an interview he was trying to make the mermen look cool, but look different from someone like Law, a non-stereotypical cool, but most fans told him they were scary. Too bad he can't be that daring with his female designs these days. I actually really liked the females from Amazon lily, the tall girl was adorable, and Sandersonia looked pretty in that exotic way.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not only that but I don't think Luffy is realistically strong enough (even after the time skip) to beat Shiki and Zephyr. Plus, Strong World and Z don't easily squeeze into the timelines.

Strong World and Z were both written by Oda, but that doesn't mean they're canon. For the movies, Oda and Toei mutually agreed on a "quality over quantity" deal starting with Strong World (if only they would give the anime this kind of treatment). This is why there's one movie every three years instead of every spring like for movies 1-9.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not only that but I don't think Luffy is realistically strong enough (even after the time skip) to beat Shiki and Zephyr. Plus, Strong World and Z don't easily squeeze into the timelines.

Strong World and Z were both written by Oda, but that doesn't mean they're canon. For the movies, Oda and Toei mutually agreed on a "quality over quantity" deal starting with Strong World (if only they would give the anime this kind of treatment). This is why there's one movie every three years instead of every spring like for movies 1-9.

Well Strong World fits easily if you forego a few details like the ones I listed. There was a week between Thriller Bark and Saobaody. 

Z does not, but I would like it if the character of Z was canon. He adds a bit of dimension to Akainu and Kizaru. 

However, I am glad Oda was able to change Toei's tune when it came to the movies; this way it can really feel like an event when a new movie comes out. That's something that really hurts Toei's movies when they pull this yearly bullshit; it puts the animators and writers under huge amounts of stress that they can't do an actual good job, unless you're Hosoda and can turn lead into gold. This way, even without Oda behind the wheels, the next movie can be good.

The movies are good ways to restart people's hype about the series as a whole, and cheapening it all on yearly intervals that often suck is a terrible way of going about it. This way, quality is more assured. 

Luffy's opponent in this TV special is Burndy World, one of the escaped prisoners of Impel Down Level 6.

He ate a devil fruit "more-more fruit" (moa-moa no mi). He is called "World Destroyer". 

He intends to capture Hancock to fulfill his ambition. Oda drew Burndy's design.

Rayleigh trains Luffy. Luffy and Hancock struggle jointly.

Mihawk, Perona, Buggy, Mr.3 and Akainu etc will be revealed.

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20140707-00000004-flix-ent

Woo-hoo... Hancock gets kidnapped; yet another female character goes through the crapper. Come on Toei; Hancock is competent, we saw her fight. 

And what the hell is a more-more fruit?

Jeeeeeesssuussss! This Alabasta story arc is taking forever! I spent the majority of my weekend in my house, marathoning One Piece and I still haven't finished it. I mean, it has it's fun moments, sure, but boy is it dragging. Hell, Usopp and Chopper took 3 whole episodes just fighting. ;A; Well, at least things are getting more interesting now. I can't tell you how bored I was of earlier where they'd just wander around the desert. I'm gonna try and power through this story arc the next few days. I've got 15 episodes left. And I'm glad they have a new OP now, I was getting a bit tired of Believe. 

But enough of me complaining. I actually have some thoughts to share on the arc so far. I'm really liking Crocodile. He's such a smart and badass villain who always thinks one step ahead. Luffy had a hard time defeating him. Well, heck, he could barely even get a hit since Crocodile has the power of the sand-sand fruit. Though, am I the only one who thinks he could just pour water him and beat him up? And something else I noticed. In the beginning of the series, it was mentioned that Devil fruit is so rare, people aren't even sure if it exists, however up to now we've seen many people that already posses Devil fruit powers and that kinda makes it feel less rare and special. I don't have much of a problem, since it creates interesting abilities for the bad guys, but it was still weird how they mentioned how rare it was. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Is that TV special canon? I was hoping that Hancock wouldn't be affected by Oda's worsened writing for female charas, weh.

And yeah the Alabasta arc is one of the worst-paced arcs in the series imo, it's a good plot, but "a bomb is going off in 15 minutes!" and *5 episodes later it still hasn't gone off*. UNBELIEVABLE.

Also I think probably it's that most people outside the Grand Line aren't sure if Devil Fruits exist, on the Grand Line it makes more sense to see more people with them. For how long they spend on the Grand Line you'd think it was most of the One Piece world, but I always forget that the majority of the planet is North, East, South, and West Blue.

i loved Alabasta, it's my favorite One Piece arc and thought it was paced just fine.

*sits in corner with arms crossed*

I'm pretty sure it was said pretty early on (Baratie arc) that while Devil Fruits were rare in the Blues, there were a bunch of users on the Grand Line.

P.S. Alabasta is the best arc.

Award for worst-paced arc goes to Skypiea imo. And man, I loved Alabasta, but I can't just hear someone say "this bomb is going off in 15 minutes" and watch 5 20-minute episodes with no bomb explosion and just sit with it. I'm not capable of sitting with it. It's too much. It sets off all these "wow bullshit" bombs in my head. In less than 15 minutes. These bombs actually go off on time. Worst pacing.

^But Skypia is the second best arc :U Also it has the best flashback.

Full summary for the special:

The title of this special episode will be the pre-timeskip “3D2Y: Overcome Ace’s Death. Luffy’s Vow to his Friends!,” and will retell the two year time period when Luffy trained on the Island of Rusukaina with Rayleigh.

In the episode, according to the One Piece website, Luffy rediscovers the importance of his crew mates after losing his brother, Ace, during the Paramount War at Marineford. He overcomes the grief in order to learn Haki, and undergoes a 2 year-long harsh training session with Rayleigh on the Island of Rusukaina.

During that time, one man’s appearance shakes the world. The man who escaped from Impel Down’s Level 6, Burndy World (バーンディ・ワールド), brings along his former crew mates and goes on to crush prominent pirates and marine battle ships, one after the other. The World Government hurriedly calls out for the Seven Warlords, but upon hearing that, Burndy World captures the Warlords, and makes up a plan using them as a means to lure in order to achieve his larger ambitions. World’s target is the person whom Luffy has a deep connection with: Boa Hancock. Might Hancock fall prey to the man who is also known as “The Destroyer of Worlds?” And what about Luffy?

Based on the comments given by the episode’s producer Hiroyuki Sakurada and Mr. Takaki, the episode, which will be on Fuji Television on Saturday, August 30 at 9:00 p.m., will shine light upon previously untold aspects of Luffy’s two years apart from his crew mates, focusing on such things as “training … acquiring Haki … the 3D2Y code” and more. “Luffy fighting for the sake of his friends and dreams will surely fire up the viewers and bring them ‘hope’.”

The episode will have the expected Luffy, Boa and Rayleigh, but also Mr 3, Buggy, Mihawk, Akainu, Perona and more. New villain Burndy World’s character design was created by creator Eiichirô Oda himself. “The end also features a must-see part for fans of the series, so don’t miss it!!”

Burndy sounds like another overpowered villain like Shiki and Z if he can capture all of the Warlords. :-/ Doesn't sound like Hancock was captured, though.

If Mihawk and Perona appear, I think Zoro will, too. So it seems like we'll at least have a glimpse at the other crew members.

I wonder what the must-see ending is.

Burndy sounds like a bore of a villain; I hope he has some quirk.

And, I desperately hope Doflamingo isn't involved. That would ruin him.

Edit: Burndy World... Heh. I get it.

Jeeeeeesssuussss! This Alabasta story arc is taking forever! I spent the majority of my weekend in my house, marathoning One Piece and I still haven't finished it. I mean, it has it's fun moments, sure, but boy is it dragging. Hell, Usopp and Chopper took 3 whole episodes just fighting. ;A; Well, at least things are getting more interesting now. I can't tell you how bored I was of earlier where they'd just wander around the desert.

The stuff in the dessert was a mix of filler and canon, but it has it's place in the series for giving an extra bit of character to someone who needs it for later.

So we get a better explanation for what the "More-More Fruit" does in the special:

(which gives its user the power to amplify/enlarge anything in the world and quickly manipulate it at will*)

To be honest, that sounds like a stupid power, but who knows, maybe Toei can use it creatively. He probably will have a weapon he enlarges at will. But wait, can they shrink down again? I guess we'll have to wait and see.