Awoo.

Any indication on whether that TV Special is canon or not yet?

Also, I'm not sure if I've brought it up yet, but does anyone know what it was that finally pushed me to get into One Piece in the first place after months and years of my friends suggesting it to me?

It was this

• Thumbs Up 1

Any indication on whether that TV Special is canon or not yet?

Also, I'm not sure if I've brought it up yet, but does anyone know what it was that finally pushed me to get into One Piece in the first place after months and years of my friends suggesting it to me?

It was this

It's not canon. The villain may be drawn by Oda, but the events weren't documented in the manga. It's even inconsistent, because no one in the world should know Luffy is alive until the reunion at Saobaody.

• Thumbs Up 1

Award for worst-paced arc goes to Skypiea imo. And man, I loved Alabasta, but I can't just hear someone say "this bomb is going off in 15 minutes" and watch 5 20-minute episodes with no bomb explosion and just sit with it. I'm not capable of sitting with it. It's too much. It sets off all these "wow bullshit" bombs in my head. In less than 15 minutes. These bombs actually go off on time. Worst pacing.

That was my main issue with Arlong Park. Luffy gets stuck in concrete and chucked underwater. I forget how many episodes he was just holding his breath for, but nobody can hold their breath for over half an hour.

Took me right out of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

That was my main issue with Arlong Park. Luffy gets stuck in concrete and chucked underwater. I forget how many episodes he was just holding his breath for, but nobody can hold their breath for over half an hour.

Took me right out of it.

He wasn't holding his breath; he was unconcious underwater. Then his head was pulled out to keep up alive.

Speaking of Arlong Park, I should watch the Episode of Nami sometime.

Took me right out of it.

Oda did this to Luffy a lot in the early parts, take him out and have the rest of the crew job to the main villain before he rescues them.

Also, going back to Sanji...I always liked him because he had the most visually appealing fighting style compared to everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait hooold up. Skypeia (2nd) best arc in One Piece? Wow I gotta say no. I found Fishman Island easier to clog through than Skypeia. The pacing was terrible as well, the beginning of one chapter per episode and Toei not knowing how to handle it at all.

Might be better in the manga but I have no positive memories of Skypeia except Gomu Gomu no super golden bell jutsu

Anybody post this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwCdwbmVmpw

One of my favorite OP movies along with Strong World, Dead End Adventure, and the 6th one, and now I'm hyped all over again since the dub's coming. Good choice for Z's VA too imo, sounds like an old war-torn military guy, which is fitting.

At some point I really hope Toonami airs either this or SW...though that'd probably confuse newcomers even more than they are already.

Anybody post this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwCdwbmVmpw

One of my favorite OP movies along with Strong World, Dead End Adventure, and the 6th one, and now I'm hyped all over again since the dub's coming. Good choice for Z's VA too imo, sounds like an old war-torn military guy, which is fitting.

At some point I really hope Toonami airs either this or SW...though they'd probably confuse newcomers even more than they are already.

I put it up earlier in the thread, but it is a really good trailer. I am looking forward to Z.

Wait hooold up. Skypeia (2nd) best arc in One Piece? Wow I gotta say no. I found Fishman Island easier to clog through than Skypeia. The pacing was terrible as well, the beginning of one chapter per episode and Toei not knowing how to handle it at all.

Might be better in the manga but I have no positive memories of Skypeia except Gomu Gomu no super golden bell jutsu

It's Eneru. Most people really love Skypiea because Eneru is such a son of a bitch, and is voiced by legendary Norio Wakamoto in the anime. J. Michael Tatum is an incredible english one. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Skypeia doesn't really pick up until Eneru takes the scene, until then it drags pretty badly

• Thumbs Up 1

Is anybody else disappointed by how Usopp's fighting style has developed over the timeskip? Pre-timeskip he was the smart but cowardly sniper. His amazing aim, wide arsenal of tricks and ingenuity all made his fight scenes fun to watch and fit his character perfectly. Now it's just "fire in the enemy's general direction and let the magic plants do the rest."

Is anybody else disappointed by how Usopp's fighting style has developed over the timeskip? Pre-timeskip he was the smart but cowardly sniper. His amazing aim, wide arsenal of tricks and ingenuity all made his fight scenes fun to watch and fit his character perfectly. Now it's just "fire in the enemy's general direction and let the magic plants do the rest."

The problem is that Ussop hasn't had a real fight since Fishman Island which was basically the strawhats decking scrubs. Oda hasn't done a traditional battle for a while now, aside from Zoro, Luffy, and Sanji.

At first I thought that, but then I started to piece together that Pop Green is way more suited for combat than Usopp's previous arsenal. The introduction of Pop Green eliminates the need for weak gimmick ammo like Ketchup Star and Egg Star. Plants like Devil and Sargasso are much better at what they do than his previous ammo. He also has some very offensive ammo like Skull Bombgrass (which is basically a mini-nuke being sniped off) and his previously used Fire Bird Star. Note that he can still use all his previous ammo and has on occasions already.

The problem is that Ussop hasn't had a real fight since Fishman Island which was basically the strawhats decking scrubs. Oda hasn't done a traditional battle for a while now, aside from Zoro, Luffy, and Sanji.

Mecha Franky vs Baby 5?

I think Usopp's ammo may seem like "solve-all magic bullets" for the time being, but that's mostly cause we're currently at a point where the StrawHats are very hard to beat and haven't really had proper battles where they're on equal footing with their opponents since the timeskip. When we see proper battles, I think we'll start to see Usopp's new stuff being used way more cleverly. At least, that's the idea I get.

Skypeia doesn't really pick up until Eneru takes the scene, until then it drags pretty badly

Agreed, Skypiea is actually pretty dang amazing at the end and during the flashback episodes, but during the run up to the actual exciting stuff oh god the pacing is just so bad.

Also Skypiea is still the single worst instance of "everyone dies.. but really, no one died at all" in One Piece history. I think the main reason I wasn't surprised that everyone on Punk Hazard was ok was because if Skypiea's residents could survive god beams, Oda clearly isn't ever going to ever kill randoms in present-time arcs.

Whatever issues I had with Skypeia are nullified by the story of Noland and Shandora. Honestly one of the most tragic parts of One Piece.

• Thumbs Up 1

So his power is to make things bigger?

So that's what's been happening to Nami ever since Water 7.

• Thumbs Up 2

So his power is to make things bigger?

So that's what's been happening to Nami ever since Water 7.

He'll burndy world with nothing but testosterone.

Here is more of the interview from Oda; mostly his sleeping habits and time with his wife:

Before One Piece was first serialized in Weekly Shonen Jump, Oda had experienced a bottleneck-period of manga creation, that period once made him so sad and disappointed that he couldn't even get off bed.

He says while smiling that after One Piece has been created, 'inspiration never stopped coming', but before that, he also had low tide in his career. "At that time, any work I submitted had always been denied and unaccepted, I felt so anxious and pressured with no achievement when I found my fellow mangakas started publishing their mangas in weekly magazines, I thought I didn't have any talent of drawing."

Until there's this editor who told him "A hard-working person like you will get what you deserve!" - Then Oda gradually relieved those downhearted feelings and conceptualized One Piece, which amazed everyone with this single brilliant feat in manga world.

Nowadays, One Piece has become Japan's national manga with vast diehard fans. In his entire 20 years of career, he keeps drawing almost every day even when he was hospitalized resulting from over-working. When talking about manga, he still seems to be very happy, "Manga is nothing like a job, I'm always very pleased as long as I'm drawing."

Oda frankly says "As I'm getting older, I've slightly adjusted my sleep time. I go to bed at 8 (morning) and wake up at 12 (noon), making sure that I have 4 hours of sleep. Don't need to worry about my health, it's all fine now."

This time Oda is really kind when his wife has been mentioned in the interview.

When asked about how Oda treats his wife, he says with honesty "Hmm, I'm on my own in work, but I indeed listen a lot to my wife in daily life."

For his beloved manga, Oda often works day and night, he doesn't even have time for relaxation or travel, when asked about why his wife could accept a marriage like this, Oda replies with confidence "Oh, that's right, but if she couldn't accept the busy me, she wouldn't have married me!"

Oda decides to put the inspirations that he got in Taiwan into manga.

On the very day of interview, Oda dresses in t-shirt and jeans. His appearance is no different compared to what he was like two decades ago, only one thing different is the stylish mustache on his face.

"Ah, if I'm gonna describe myself, I'd say I'm a super nice person!" - Oda says with a big laugh. Actually, readers will like him when reading and then liking his manga. "Because my manga reflects myself, for example, Luffy likes eating meat, that's me."

Due to the lack of time traveling abroad, Oda reveals that all the dreamlike kingdoms and fantasy scenes are inspired by books and images. He always talks to editors about plots and scenes.

As for this exhibition, the concept of making manga three-dimensional is what Oda cares the most. "I don't like, in exhibition, the walls were simply hung with artworks. It's like visiting a museum, which is very boring. I want the audience to be happy when they come to the exhibition and blend into manga scenes."

I love and respect this man so much. He works himself to death, but you can just feel the compassion in his heart. I kind of feel like crying when reading this.

• Thumbs Up 4

This scene really just cements Eneru for me. He's just such an amazing bastard. (Still, it's really annoying how he doesn't kill anyone. Gotta admit, it was cool how he revived himself though.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XctiMBhIQus

This makes me miss that old art style. I think it's much better than what we've had for a while now. But yeah, Eneru is one of the best villains One Piece has to offer. Seriously. I loved his cunning genius, his awesome logia power, and of course, his ego.

By the way, that clip cut off what Zoro was about to say; he criticizes Eneru for hurting a woman. At first everyone considered it a slip-up line by Oda meant for Sanji, but then the Monet thing happened... tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 2

I can't help but feel bad for him, he works way too hard, but it does seem like he's happy. I really hope he continues to take better care of his health.

By the way, the full interview has been translated here. One interesting thing I noticed is confirmation that there will be new StrawHats eventually. Fans always speculate about the possibility of future crewmembers, but it's nice to have confirmation that there will be more crewmembers. I just hope none of the older StrawHats are swepts under the rug in terms of development or screentime as a result!

• Thumbs Up 3

I'll probably watch it, but I'm not really planning on getting excited for it until it's clear whether it'll have any relation to canon or not.

Found the crappy American version of One Piece Unlimited World Red: Day One Edition in my mailbox when I got home. Whoo I'll leave impressions later

Speaking of Unlimited World Red:

StreetPass NYC (the largest Nintendo 3DS fan club in the United States) for a celebration of the best selling Japanese Manga franchise of all time, One Piece, in celebration of One Piece: Unlimited World RED for Nintendo WiiU and Nintendo 3DS & 2DS systems!

Event Link:

The event will take place at the Maid Cafe NY (150 Centre Street New York, New York 10013) on Sunday, July 13th from 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM EST. This event is FREE for all ages to attend and participate in event activities, however, StreetPass NYC highly recommends ordering some food and drink by the cafe's super kawaii maid staff.

SUPAAAAAA!!!

Maid Cafe NY will have TWO HDTV screens. One screen will have One Piece Unlimited World RED for Wii U in Co-Op mode to play for free for attendees and the other TV will have a hit list of awesome One Piece anime episodes on loop to enjoy.

One Piece Fans are encouraged to show up in cosplay and bring their collections of volumes, DVDs, figurines and other collectibles to show off!

Okaerinasai mase, gosyujin sama! That’s Japanese for “Welcome home, master!” The first of its kind in New York and the East Coast, Maid Café seeks to bring Japanese “cute” (for kawaii) to the biggest and most exciting city in North America. Maid Cafe NY is a theme café, offering unique Japanese food, sweets, drink and merchandise served by professionally trained servers dressed in cute maid outfits in a fashionable Japanese pop setting. Food and sweets include Japanese curry, Beef Bowl, Rice Ball, various Matcha Green Tea sweets, and Japanese style parfait and crepe will be served. Maid Cafe also offers occasional live music entertainment.

For more information, visit

A surprise? The 7th Warlord? I'm now very interested in this special.

I doubt we're going to see anything that's important to the main story in this, since that would kind of be giving manga readers the shaft. Maybe some kind of vague hints and a silhouette, at best.

Hope we get to see the flashy return of Warlord "Star Clown" Buggy though, even if it's nothing substantial.