Awoo.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/popular/

Giant bomb just had a Quick Look for One Piece Unlimited World Red, and it's a pretty damn hilarious video. (Note; the gag is that they are purposefully uneducated about anime in general. So don't be too hard on them.) They seemed to have a good time with the game all things considered.

I doubt we're going to see anything that's important to the main story in this, since that would kind of be giving manga readers the shaft. Maybe some kind of vague hints and a silhouette, at best.

Hope we get to see the flashy return of Warlord "Star Clown" Buggy though, even if it's nothing substantial.

We had our first looks at post time skip Coby, Helmeppo and I think Aokiji through Film Z, so I wouldn't say it's out of the question.

All of the post-time-skip Supernovae were revealed through a poster Oda drew for something, too.

Full staff

Script: Nakayama Tomohiro

Storyboard: Endo Tetsuya

Episode director: Endo Tetsuya

Animation director: Kawamura Atsuko

Script: Tanaka Hitoshi

Storyboard: Ueda Yoshihiro

Episode director: Ueda Yoshihiro

Animation director: Narasaki Asako

Script: Suga Yoshiyuki

Storyboard: Hiraike Ayako

Episode director: Hiraike Ayako

Animation director: Takagi Masayuki

Script: Yonemura Shoji

Storyboard: Fukazawa Toshinori

Episode director: Fukazawa Toshinori

Animation director: Deguchi Toshio

Next titles (rough translation)

[07/13] 653: Decisive Battle! Jora vs Straw Hat Crew

[07/20] 654: Biken! Cavendish of the White Horse

[08/03] 655: Big Battle! Sanji vs Doflamingo

[08/10] 656: Rebecca's Deadly Sword! Backwater Sword Dance

NO EPISODE ON 07/27

http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=19995&page=212&p=3263810&viewfull=1#post3263810

Oh no... deguchi is on 656. I'm not looking forward to that episode. 

There are many One Piece arcs Bandai Namco could draw from to create a One Piecevideo game. One Piece Romance Dawn covers the East Blue Saga and Marineford Arc while One Piece Unlimited World Red has an original story. In an interview with Siliconera, Koji Nakajima, producer at Bandai Namco Games, explained how they pick stories for the One Piece games.

"Being able to relive the One Piece storyline is exciting from a fan’s perspective. However, we also want to expand on the One Piece universe and explore side stories. Every year, when we make a One Piece game we decide what we should focus on, a certain arc or something new," said Nakajima. "Ganbarion wrote the story for Red. The new characters for this game, Pato and Yadoya, were made by the series creator, Eiichiro Oda. We work very closely with Toei Animation and Shueisha to make sure everything we write stays in line with the One Piece universe."

Nakajima explained that after all of the characters have been created the entire cast goes though an adjustment period where they tweak characters and make sure all of the attacks are rendered to keep the feel of the One Piece universe. This takes about two to three months to complete.

"One of the main pillars in creating Unlimited World Red was making sure players could experience the adventurous pirate lifestyle that Luffy and his friends live everyday. Instead of just focusing on battles, I wanted to make sure there was pirate life elements and adventure in the game. I like the fishing parts," Nakajima laughed. "When we updated Red, I wanted to add an emphasis on the battling part of One Piece which is why the coliseum was added. Trafalgar Law is a very popular character and he’s really cool. Boa Hancock is a personal favorite."

One Piece Unlimited World Red also has giant boss battles, like a Red Dragon fight early on. Nakajima said this was one of his favorite fights. "One of the biggest challenges with big enemies is it’s really easy to determine their movement patterns. We wanted to minimize this and give the dragon more patterns," said when talking about how the team had to balance the Red Dragon fight with the Straw Hat crew’s attacks.

What’s next for the One Piece series? I asked if Bandai Namco plans to continue the One Piece: Pirate Warriors series. "Right now, we’re not sure yet," Nakajima answered. I also asked if he is considering to release the One Piece Unlimited Cruise games in North America since both of the Wii games were released in Europe. "It’s been awhile since we released Unlimited Cruise and [unlimited Cruise] SP. We don’t have plans to bring those over, but we would love to look into it if fans are interested."

"I’ve made lots of One Piece games. Right now, I would like to make a fighting game that puts all of the Devil Fruit abilities and Haki in the spotlight. If I could make a fighting game, I would want it to capture the flashiness of the Devil Fruit abilities like how [Admiral] Aokiji uses ice and can create it at will," Nakajima said when I asked him what kind of One Piece game he would personally like to create.

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2014/07/09/one-piece-unlimited-world-red-original-story/#xj14JvGrso2zJGD4.99

This is very important. These shots basically confirm this episode will cover a chapter an a half of content. 

bSrheFO.jpg

This is very important. These shots basically confirm this episode will cover a chapter an a half of content. 

bSrheFO.jpg

Chapter and a half? That's some actual decent pacing but they're way too close to the manga as is. What the hell is going on at Toei.

Oh yeah, so I've been playing One Piece Unlimited World Red pretty much the whole time I'm home and I got to say I'm impressed. I didn't expect to enjoy this so much. The controls are a bit stiff and the level design sucks, but the sometimes too simplistic combat system is way too fun.

Usopp is the best character as usual.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's because they did a half chapter last week. I honestly thought they would do a combination of the halfs this week, but I guess I was wrong. 

Also; no episode on the 27.

Oh alright. Doesn't really help the situation much, but it'll be nice to have some good pacing for once.

I expect to see more half chapter episodes later on.

Oh alright. Doesn't really help the situation much, but it'll be nice to have some good pacing for once.

I expect to see more half chapter episodes later on.

I have the feeling that episode 654 will be another half episode as well. It'd be interesting though.

Here's a portion of an interview with Oda's Editor, Kohei Ohnishi

mX6bpTV.jpg

''When Oda's thinking about the story (plot), he'll stay in a locked room and keep thinking in front of his desk alone. He basically eats nothing or even doesnt sleep during that time. Just thinking quietly. He once hadnt slept in 4 or 5 days many yrs ago, even recently, he sometimes doesnt sleep in 2 days. It's common that I always spent tens of hrs talking to Oda on the phone, especially when discussing about OP's serialization and film at the same time. I respect him a great deal, he's never been idle and incredibly hard-working, a super sugoi man. Oda's always glad to read readers' letters and takes that time as relaxation. Oda has physically come to Taiwan and done quite a lot research of buildings, food and culture, I suppose there's a possibility that he'll use those materials later in the manga.''

Oda is not even human. He is some sort of a Superman.

Interesting to see what Oda pulls into the manga. It's good to know he is taking the time for inspiration as well. He is just the epitomy of creativity. 

For those of you who actually care about Metacritic scores: here's where Unlimted World Red stands. 

It has a 71 thus far, with 5 positive reviews, 7 mixed reviews, and only one negative review. It'll be a while before we get final results, but that seems like a very solid place for the game.

The User score is looking at an 8.2 as well.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/one-piece-unlimited-world-red

After playing a good portion of it myself, I'd say it's definitely the best in the Unlimited line of games. It has deeper Action RPG elements (with an actual level system for once) and the battle system is a lot smoother than in previous titles, perhaps due to the lack of motion controls but I think there would be less delay between attacks between attacks. The boss battles are the high light, with every single one being a lot of fun to take on.

Oda is not even human. He is some sort of a Superman.

Pardon me, I think you mean Supersugoiman. His ability to write about nakama-tachis is subarashii, and he can keikaku way in advance.

Jeez, though; when I try to stay awake longer than a full day I'm lucky if I can occasionally understand what people are saying to me. I think the reason even unpowered characters in One Piece are so durable is because Oda just assumes that every other human being is invincible like him. That, or he's using some kind of reverse Dorian Gray witchcraft so Zoro can do his sleeping for him.

• Thumbs Up 3

Zoro sleeping is obviously Oda subconsciously expressing his cries for help as his brain no longer processes what goes down on his paper.

Even if Oda reorganized his schedule for 4 hours asleep, he'd still need two more to be an actual healthy human being. The days on end thinking about how Luffy will pound this arc's villan is obviously not helping. 

Unlimited World Red has been sucking up my hours like a leech, especially Colosseum mode. Deserves that score, really impressive for a licensed game.

• Thumbs Up 2

Zoro sleeping is obviously Oda subconsciously expressing his cries for help as his brain no longer processes what goes down on his paper.

Even if Oda reorganized his schedule for 4 hours asleep, he'd still need two more to be an actual healthy human being. The days on end thinking about how Luffy will pound this arc's villan is obviously not helping. 

To be honest; at this point I think it would be more destructive to make him adjust to anything that isn't this schedule. He has been doing this for 17 years now. He might collapse into a coma if not working like this, sort of like how a soldier with PTSD never adjusts to normal life.

Speaking of Oda's glorious keikakus, I'm a bit of the way into the Enies Lobby kerfuffle now and I have to admit the callback to Little Garden took me totally by surprise. I wasn't expecting those guys to come up again until the Straw Hats actually went to Elbaf.

Actually, I'm pretty impressed in general at how consistently fishmen and giants (and even that one half-and-half guy from Foxy's crew) have been showing up. I guess it's not that spectacular a feat, but you just know that if this was Akira Toriyama's One Piece there'd never have been another fishman after Arlong. Also he'd probably have turned out to be an alien from Planet Sashimi or something.

• Thumbs Up 2

Speaking of Oda's glorious keikakus, I'm a bit of the way into the Enies Lobby kerfuffle now and I have to admit the callback to Little Garden took me totally by surprise. I wasn't expecting those guys to come up again until the Straw Hats actually went to Elbaf.

Actually, I'm pretty impressed in general at how consistently fishmen and giants (and even that one half-and-half guy from Foxy's crew) have been showing up. I guess it's not that spectacular a feat, but you just know that if this was Akira Toriyama's One Piece there'd never have been another fishman after Arlong. Also he'd probably have turned out to be an alien from Planet Sashimi or something.

Man if you like fishmen you'll love Fishman Island Arc!

ha not really

• Thumbs Up 2

So, I picked up Unlimited World Red on Wednesday for 3DS since I'm a sucker for physical copies, lack a PS3 and a Vita, and not to mention the 3DS one is the original version.

It's not perfect, but it's a helluva lot better than Unlimited Adventure. To be frank, that game was kind of a mess. Tons of backtracking just made me want to sell the game (something I won't do because it suddenly became really rare). As for Unlimited World Red, I love its visuals, alternate costumes, and simplistic gameplay. But most of all I love the story! Pato is adorably pathetic and Redfield's personality and powers are pretty neat. I like that the people they run into from their past are conscious about what happened previously, and that they're encountering the Straw Hats for a second time. What got me is when

Newgate blamed Luffy for Ace's death.

Quite cold.

Now, what I don't like is that the camera is kinda sucky and the environments are still sort of lacking like in Unlimited Adventure. At least it's not like Romance Dawn that has nothing but endless hallways, blank non-interactive environments, and cookie-cutter fodder opponents. I'm happy that going through the environments is easier thanks to the map at the bottom of the screen (another reason why I preferred this version over the Wii U one). If it didn't have the map, then it would have been even worse than playing Unlimited Adventure. It helps a lot.

Overall, I have to say this is the first One Piece game I've really enjoyed since Grand Battle. In my opinion, it's a big step over UA (I haven't played the Cruise games) and Pirate Warriors. It's definitely worth it if you're a One Piece fan. Go grab a physical copy before it's too late.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've only played a little of Unlimited World Red (for Wii U) so far, but my biggest gripe is definitely how it handles the map. The lack of anything on the GamePad is a little silly, but I'd probably be happy if there was even just a minimap on the main screen or something. I'll probably be mostly okay anyway once I've figured out where things are in town, but man.

Also: I've been flopping randomly between Japanese and English as I watch the show, but I've stuck totally with English starting with Water 7 since this is the last chance I'll have to hear that cast until I hit Strong World. A side effect of that is that I hadn't ever heard Franky clearly in Japanese until I started playing Unlimited World Red earlier today, and he's... somethin'. He doesn't sound bad at all, but I can't say I was expecting anything quite like that after getting used to the standard big-guy voice they went for in the dub.

I've only played a little of Unlimited World Red (for Wii U) so far, but my biggest gripe is definitely how it handles the map. The lack of anything on the GamePad is a little silly, but I'd probably be happy if there was even just a minimap on the main screen or something. I'll probably be mostly okay anyway once I've figured out where things are in town, but man.

Also: I've been flopping randomly between Japanese and English as I watch the show, but I've stuck totally with English starting with Water 7 since this is the last chance I'll have to hear that cast until I hit Strong World. A side effect of that is that I hadn't ever heard Franky clearly in Japanese until I started playing Unlimited World Red earlier today, and he's... somethin'. He doesn't sound bad at all, but I can't say I was expecting anything quite like that after getting used to the standard big-guy voice they went for in the dub.

Yeah, it's one of the reasons I like that FUNi went with a different approach with Franky. That sort of acting and voice really only works for a Japanese performance and would not translate well into English. 

Finally! Funimation uploaded the season 6 trailer with proper audio.

And it's amazon exclusive sadly, so no store pick ups.

If Oda is really that awesome, does that mean the sea water in the series is his body's water? (lame excuse for a memetic badbutt joke)

This is the full interview from Oda's Editor. I posted only a bit earlier. 

Former One Piece Manga and Media Editor Kôhei Ônishi interviewed with Taiwanese news site GNN after his visit to Taiwan for the One Piece Exhibit that opened in Taiwan.

Here are some of the interesting parts of the interview:

Ônishi explains that before starting to work for Shûeisha, he had already been a fan of “One Piece.” In his job as a media editor, he tries to put himself in the place of the reader to understand what makes them passionate when reading One Piece.

Oda is apparently a rather “stoic” manga artist. Even though One Piece is arguably the most popular manga series of Japan at the moment, it hasn’t made Oda any bit arrogant, rather it has made him even more serious, hoping to create an even more interesting story so even more people can enjoy it. When he’s working on the story, he usually spends his time in front of his desk alone while rarely eating or even sleeping so he can think quietly.

When Oda was younger, he would go about 4 or 5 days without sleeping. Now, he often goes without sleep for 2 days straight.

Ônishi will frequently be on the phone for dozens of hours a week when working together on something with Oda, especially when talking about the manga story line, or when working on the “One Piece” films. They’d apparently stay on the phone for 10 hours, take a break and then go back to discussing the movie. “Even when going to the bathroom we’d stay on the phone without hanging up so you could hear the sound of the toilet flushing afterwards. (Laughs)” Even with the large amount of work that Oda has, he doesn’t neglect it, instead continuing to do his best, which is something Ônishi admires about Oda.

That being said, it’s not surprising that Ônishi believes Oda resembles his manga’s main character the most. According to Ônishi, Oda’s heart is still that one of “young boy” like Luffy’s, “on top of being really fond of meat. (Laughs)” Even though Oda resembles Luffy the most, Ônishi also mentions that he has put a bit of his own ideals into each and every one of his characters.

Every week Oda gets sent roughly two bags full of fan letters that Oda reads himself. He doesn’t seem to think of this as work, but because he enjoys reading them a lot, finds it a nice way to take a break from work. These fans aren’t only Japanese letters, but from fans all around the world which are translated into Japanese using machine translations.

The scene in One Piece that Ônishi was most impressed with was when Zoro appeared right when Luffy was about to get attacked by Bartholomew Kuma in Thriller Bark. After seeing that scene for the first time, being handed the manuscript by Oda, it apparently made him shiver. During their discussion about the chapter, Oda hadn’t mentioned that particular scene, but when Ônishi got handed the manuscript it left a deep impression on him.

Ônishi then went on to talk about the Exhibition being held right now in Taiwan and its many features, as well as the work Oda put in as a supervising body for this first attempt at a One Piece exhibition overseas.

Amazing. I have deep respect for Oda since he hasn't let the success of One Piece get to his head. I hope he keeps on doing what he loves. It's an inspiration