Awoo.

Yeah, it's one of the reasons I like that FUNi went with a different approach with Franky. That sort of acting and voice really only works for a Japanese performance and would not translate well into English. 

Kenny Green (Jango) actually sounds really close to Kazuki Yao, so if he were to be cast as Franky as well that would have worked out great. Not sure if he'd be able to emulate the wackiness, but with proper direction, I'm sure he could. FUNi was set to use Patrick Seitz for Franky since 2007 once the dub's foundations were laid out, so I assume they wanted to retain that once they started working on season 4 in 2011.

Kenny Green (Jango) actually sounds really close to Kazuki Yao, so if he were to be cast as Franky as well that would have worked out great. Not sure if he'd be able to emulate the wackiness, but with proper direction, I'm sure he could. FUNi was set to use Patrick Seitz for Franky since 2007 once the dub's foundations were laid out, so I assume they wanted to retain that once they started working on season 4 in 2011.

Again, I just don't feel it would work in English no matter how close he sounded. Franky's just the sort of archetype that I feel wouldn't sound right. A lot of his charm in Japanese is his wacky voice, and his poor attempts at English, but in America there is a disconnect between body and personality.

BsWKhQ1CYAEj4ht.png

Season 6 is off to a great start on Amazon. It definitely shows the staying power of this series.

Collection 10 is also available for pre-order, if anyone cares.

And Season 6 Voyage 1 is in fact #2 in Anime now :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Collection 10 is also available for pre-order, if anyone cares.

And Season 6 Voyage 1 is in fact #2 in Anime now tongue.png

Well it was #1 for a good while. That was a good start. :P

New One Piece episode tonight. For you anime only viewers, prepare for a great surprise. 

I'm going to review this episode tomorrow, but hoo boy does it make me annoyed. I have a lot to say about it for certain. 

Episode_653.png

Title: ''Decisive Battle! Giolla vs. the Straw Hat Crew''
Chapters Covered: rest of 722
New Characters: None
Episode Director: Tetsuya Endo 
Animation Director: Atsuko Kawamura 

Americans Watch It: ​www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece

Non-Americans Watch it: http://www1.watchop.com/watch/one-piece-episode-653-english-subbed/

My thoughts: 

This wasn't a bad episode by any means necessary. In fact, I'd argue this episode had potential to be incredible. In the manga, the fight didn't go on to this point with Giolla transforming herself into that giant art thing, but it was easily one of the best ideas for filler which Toei came up with. I honestly wish they would step out of the box like this more with their filler, because this was a great idea through and through that gave the crew on the Sunny more to do and made them look stronger against an immediate threat. 

The problem is that the animation was just so lame throughout the episode. The art wasn't half bad, but the characters moved stiff as hell and the episode messed up certain cuts which if the episode was better animated would have looked great! There was not enough movement when this episode could have desperately used it to make the whole fight so much better. It's a shame too, because I applaud the storyboarders and the episode director for coming up with this idea. 

However, if you get past the animation, the episode is very enjoyable, and nothing really feels stretched out all things considered. The half chapter episodes haven't been that bad lately. 

Final Thoughts:

S-alright!

• Thumbs Up 1

So you're less annoyed with it now? Your previous post a few posts up made it sound like it was a pretty bad episode! Either way I'll probably watch it this evening.

So you're less annoyed with it now? Your previous post a few posts up made it sound like it was a pretty bad episode! Either way I'll probably watch it this evening.

I was annoyed because of the potential there was if this was better animated. I've calmed down since then and just sigh. 

Post your thoughts here ok? I'm loney. sad.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I watched the new episode earlier so I'll leave some quick impressions;

I actually enjoyed it a lot! I was sad that we didn't see much of Rebecca's fight, but it was refreshing to finally see Brook, Nami and Chopper all finally getting to have a battle, that's becoming far too rare and I hope it's not too long before they get to fight again. Also, nice little reminder from Doflamingo that some serious shit went down in the Void Century, once again One Piece reminds me of how mindblowingly huge its plot is.

Just a side note, but I recently realised that Funimation stopped dubbing the OPs. I really liked the ones they did, does anyone know why they stopped? ): I actually prefer the English version of Believe to the Japanese one, and the English versions of We Are and Bon Voyage are great too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Probably because the openings are over two minutes long. And if you're gonna dub that, you might as well dub the full song.

...So there's no full version of Brand New World? Aw. That was the one I was looking forward too.

"You fool. Don't underestimate the limitless destructive power of giraffes."

Man, what a good show.

• Thumbs Up 1

...So there's no full version of Brand New World? Aw. That was the one I was looking forward too.

Yeah so was I :c heck I would have loved to hear loads of the OPs in English, even We Go.

"You fool. Don't underestimate the limitless destructive power of giraffes."

Man, what a good show.

That's literally the single most iconic quote in the whole long series to me.

I'm sad Funi didn't get the chance to dub Kokoro no Chizu as that's one of my favorite OP openings. It was just one opening away darn it. ;( 

I watched the new episode earlier so I'll leave some quick impressions;

I actually enjoyed it a lot! I was sad that we didn't see much of Rebecca's fight, but it was refreshing to finally see Brook, Nami and Chopper all finally getting to have a battle, that's becoming far too rare and I hope it's not too long before they get to fight again. Also, nice little reminder from Doflamingo that some serious shit went down in the Void Century, once again One Piece reminds me of how mindblowingly huge its plot is.

Just a side note, but I recently realised that Funimation stopped dubbing the OPs. I really liked the ones they did, does anyone know why they stopped? ): I actually prefer the English version of Believe to the Japanese one, and the English versions of We Are and Bon Voyage are great too.

Japanese record holders charge you an arm and a leg for this crap, and some are just really stubborn. Funimation would have to pay out the wazoo to get permission to dub songs. Hell they have trouble lisencing non dubbed songs, like when they were forced to air We Go! Instead of Hands Up!.

I remember in July 2007 when the cast was revealed for the new dub, Mike McFarland (the producer of the dub) said it was his goal to present the whole show in English-- and that meant the songs, too. I was so overjoyed when I read that! It led to some that are my favorite dubbed songs even to this day, such as Hikari E, Family, Free Will, Shouchi no Suke, and Compass.

Then 2012 came along and when we learned Kokoro no Chizu wasn't dubbed, everyone was disappointed. Funimation at that point said companies, including Toei, encouraged leaving the songs in Japanese to promote the artists and labels of the music (knowing Toei, it's probably a new policy). I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with the cost of acquiring the rights to dub the music as they normally practiced this for years while they were a smaller company, and then completely ceased it for every property later on around the same exact time. Mirai Koukai, Hands Up, and Fanfare were the ones that weren't licensed due to large licensing costs.

This is most likely why Japanese artists sing the opening and ending to the international version of Dragon Ball Kai completely in English.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is most likely why Japanese artists sing the opening and ending to the international version of Dragon Ball Kai completely in English.

He's singing in English? Could've fooled me; it really sounds like he's mixing Engrish with Japanese. 

I'm sure many of you have heard about the Dragonball Z movie coming out next year. So why am I bringing it up here? Because it means that One Piece is going to lose many talented animators... AGAIN! This always happens when Toei does a movie, One Piece is the show that must suffer because the best animators have to be taken for the movies. Ugh, it's rough being a One Piece fan who is an animator as well.

He's singing in English? Could've fooled me; it really sounds like he's mixing Engrish with Japanese. 

It's an attempt at English, so yeah, it's Engrish. Still counts, though. No Japanese is present at all in either song (unless you count "Kamehameha").

I'm sure many of you have heard about the Dragonball Z movie coming out next year. So why am I bringing it up here? Because it means that One Piece is going to lose many talented animators... AGAIN! This always happens when Toei does a movie, One Piece is the show that must suffer because the best animators have to be taken for the movies. Ugh, it's rough being a One Piece fan who is an animator as well.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm sure they've been hard at work on One Piece movie 13 behind closed doors and the show still looks decent-ish. Toei also works on several movies at a time anyway, even when One Piece looks its best. And frankly, Toei doesn't really care if the quality of the show declines because it'll still rake in the same revenue as before. In my opinion, if they actually cared they wouldn't have let the show get to where it is today. I personally don't really think it can get much worse, but if you enjoy the show as it is now you shouldn't notice too much of a difference.

For anyone who has the time, Namco Bandai has uploaded the entire One Piece Panel from Anime Expo this year.

It's an attempt at English, so yeah, it's Engrish. Still counts, though. No Japanese is present at all in either song (unless you count "Kamehameha").

Then someone has to transcribe it for me, because hell if I understand what he's saying. XD

Chapter 753 is out, y'all.

Dellinger just continues to be full of surprises. I'm interested to see what Dofla will do with Bellamy, too. Otherwise, an okay chapter.

Then someone has to transcribe it for me, because hell if I understand what he's saying. XD

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=27510&start=300#p804197

There you go! tongue.png