Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

A to jump works for Sonic and always has worked for Sonic. Why on earth would they change it to B in this game? I know it's a spin off but come on, A for jumping is perfectly fine and I'm glad they're keeping it that way! And as others have mentioned, feels better to jump with A when using the Gamepad.

A to jump works for Sonic and always has worked for Sonic. Why on earth would they change it to B in this game? I know it's a spin off but come on, A for jumping is perfectly fine and I'm glad they're keeping it that way! And as others have mentioned, feels better to jump with A when using the Gamepad.

Simply because of the layout of the Wii U controllers. B is on the right, a more natural and comfortable position for the main button and easier to reach over to others. B on the GamePad is the same as A on an Xbox/Dreamcast controller. Lost World used both A and B, but only one of them executed the homing attack and the other ways double jumped instead (can't remember which off of the top of my head). What do Playstation Sonic games use? I don't have any, but I'm guessing it's X which is in the wrong place for my liking.

Did lost world jump button A? It feels weird hold it now lol.

The A button was the Homing attack and double jump, and the B button was strictly double jump. One of the best control schemes to come out for Sonic in a while, imo.

Though Blue Blood, wouldn't the main button be the melee button in this game?

• Thumbs Up 1

The A button was the Homing attack and double jump, and the B button was strictly double jump. One of the best control schemes to come out for Sonic in a while, imo.

Though Blue Blood, wouldn't the main button be the melee button in this game?

Eh, not in my mind. Jumping is always the primary function. I'm very set in my ways. Bloody gaming companies not settling on a universal controller design... Don't even get me started on the blasphemous placement of the D-pad and left stick on Playstation controllers *grumble grumble*

What do Playstation Sonic games use? I don't have any, but I'm guessing it's X which is in the wrong place for my liking.

...Well if you do, prepare for disappointment.tongue.png

But yeah I mean other platformers for PS used the X button, so I guess I'm just used to it being the jump button.

If the game's stages allow for platforming as well as combat, the primary button would be jumping as it is the most convenient thing to do in most games that have an actual jump button.

I just watched the newest batch of Roger's Dissected videos, and he mentioned something about the time travel aspect of it all having an effect on the stages ala Sonic CD. Was there an interview that I missed that actually stated this, or is it just speculation on his part?

Anwser. Yes.

Now I'm happy because one person finally know Sonic Boom will be flopped

Sent from my SHW-M250S using Tapatalk 2

So...you lied about "Ps. In asia, PEOPLE call sonic boom sonic bust, sonic poop, and sonic bomb." You know, people is a plural right?

Before I get off topic, I just want to say that I play games for stories, if sonic boom's story is intriging then, I'm going to play the game(combat too because I just like that crap). I mean, I didn't play legend of zelda:wind waker because of the gameplay, I played it because of the story.

So...you lied about "Ps. In asia, PEOPLE call sonic boom sonic bust, sonic poop, and sonic bomb." You know, people is a plural right?

Before I get off topic, I just want to say that I play games for stories, if sonic boom's story is intriging then, I'm going to play the game(combat too because I just like that crap). I mean, I didn't play legend of zelda:wind waker because of the gameplay, I played it because of the story.

Coincidentally I have started going in the exact opposite direction. I see games like last of us that do nothing But give ok gameplay as pretty crappy. Gamings next step shouldn't be that they turn into nothing but movies and for me personally crying at the end isn't enough to justify a games gameplay being boring.

Coincidentally I have started going in the exact opposite direction. I see games like last of us that do nothing But give ok gameplay as pretty crappy. Gamings next step shouldn't be that they turn into nothing but movies and for me personally crying at the end isn't enough to justify a games gameplay being boring.

Dude, its just my way of seeing games.

While it may be your way of seeing Games, you can't possibly say that having enjoyable or interesting game-play doesn't help the actual experience of going from one story sequence to the next. Even if you're mainly in it for the story, you would want some type of game-play that you feel that you're not just slogging through to see the story. Otherwise why bother buying the game at all, when if all you want is the story...you could see it online somewhere.

• Thumbs Up 1

While it may be your way of seeing Games, you can't possibly say that having enjoyable or interesting game-play doesn't help the actual experience of going from one story sequence to the next. Even if you're mainly in it for the story, you would want some type of game-play that you feel that you're not just slogging through to see the story. Otherwise why bother buying the game at all, when if all you want is the story...you could see it online somewhere.

Well, being able to see it in pure and in the highest possible definition is probably a good reason.  Online streams rely purely on the reliability of your internet connection and how much the uploading process distorts the quality, which are two factors that are subject to immediate change without warning.

I personally find gameplay to be the most important aspect myself, but I don't hold anything against someone who finds use of the medium in other things.  Video games are made up of all different forms of artistry put together to make a single product.  I don't see why one has to outshine the other to every person. XP

• Thumbs Up 3

Actually superwplf, you have already gone off topic by bringing back up a post that it, along with the member that made it has been addressed by the Staff already. Not to mention you are accusing a member of lying, whom is currently unable to defend himself due to being suspended so it was honestly pointless for you bring this back up for this reason as well. It also appears you are nitpicking about plural and singular words amid possible different contexts. Anyway whether that is the case or not, this doesn't positively contribute to the discussion at hand nor is it relevant to the topic so please don't do this again.   

• Thumbs Up 2

Didn't he just say he also likes the slowed down, more combat-centric gameplay?

I agree with him. If the story is really good. I would go ahead and play it.

Last of us is a great example because the story was just too good but the gameplay was not that great lol. But I was so into the story I couldn't care what little flaws the gameplay had.

I almost went out to buy beyond two souls because when I watched a first part of the let's play I was so into it but I ended up watching the whole thing on YouTube. During the let's play I didn't realize how the gameplay wasn't even good only because I was so into the story.

Now if only I can find some that has both.

But those games are rare and its usually a play once and done with.

Let me add more so its about sonic boom... Went off topic.

So for me. I'm pretty I can enjoy myself we with this game because its sonic and the combat looks fun here and me and my bro will probably have fun playing it together in co-op. I'm really hoping they can make the story really interesting which seems like it will.

I kinda wonder if it will be your typical sonic to finish in a day?

S.M. has overlooked one small parenthesized statement when typing the post being quoted. So along with not knowing what to say in defense, um...my bad.

Actually superwplf, you have already gone off topic by bringing back up a post that it, along with the member that made it has been addressed by the Staff already. Not to mention you are accusing a member of lying, whom is currently unable to defend himself due to being suspended so it was honestly pointless for you bring this back up for this reason as well. It also appears you are nitpicking about plural and singular words amid possible different contexts. Anyway whether that is the case or not, this doesn't positively contribute to the discussion at hand nor is it relevant to the topic so please don't do this again.

I'm so sorry, it will NEVER happen again.

Another question. Does anyone have an idea on how sonics spindash will work? Does it work like adventure were its speed drops or does it work like lost world were your able to keep going while holding the trigger. I hope its lost world but make it so we don't loose speed when jumping because that felt weird when jumping over simple obstacles in that game. But I easily adjusted to it though.

I kinda wonder if it will be your typical sonic to finish in a day?

I hope not. I'm expecting ten hours out of this game at bare minimum. Anything less than that, and I'm calling horsepucky.

Another question. Does anyone have an idea on how sonics spindash will work? Does it work like adventure were its speed drops or does it work like lost world were your able to keep going while holding the trigger. I hope its lost world but make it so we don't loose speed when jumping because that felt weird when jumping over simple obstacles in that game. But I easily adjusted to it though.

It'll just boost you over a short period of ground when not used on enemies. It's not really meant for travel.

I should of expected that but really? Lol wow.

Its a bit concerning if we get really big open areas I hope we have a fast way of getting to places. Lol that is so weird to be worried about speed from a sonic game XD.

But seriously I hope they do.

If frost sees this, other than the speed levels or speed sections,is there gonna be way for us to travel faster than just walking?

My bad on so many obvious questions but I haven't really looked at the gameplay during the E3 times mostly because I was more focused on smash bros. I'm just in a sonic boom mood right now I guess lol

This "I'd rather have a good game with a bad story than a bad game with a good story" seriously comes off as being happy paying for subpar products than advocating for better ones.

That's nice and all but it has nothing to do with what I said and its kind of insulting to have you put words in my mouth. To reiterate, I have a problem with games with bad/just okay gameplay getting a free pass because they had a good story . At no point did I say I don't want a good story. At no point did I in anyway indicate a game can't or shouldn't  have both.

also to superwlf I know you were just stating your thoughts I was just doing the same.

Pretty sure it can be used for travel too. It looks like it anyways.

Edit edit: I was wrong whoops.

Edit: @Sam - please, re read that post as I'm pretty sure it was meant for a different recipient.

I should of expected that but really? Lol wow.

Its a bit concerning if we get really big open areas I hope we have a fast way of getting to places. Lol that is so weird to be worried about speed from a sonic game XD.

But seriously I hope they do.

If frost sees this, other than the speed levels or speed sections,is there gonna be way for us to travel faster than just walking?

My bad on so many obvious questions but I haven't really looked at the gameplay during the E3 times mostly because I was more focused on smash bros. I'm just in a sonic boom mood right now I guess lol

That's probably my biggest concern with the speed: How it will be handled in the Hub. The levels have plenty of distractions, with combat, platforming, and the like, but the hubs might be very open ended. If they are, the speed setting will be very out of place, and will make people raise the speed complaint again.

There is no faster walking speed, but vehicles might not be out of the question. Still, I hope the hubs accommodate the walking speed, or else that'll be a pretty big flaw.

----

On the subject on whether I want a good game with a bad story, or vise versa, though, honestly, I want both only if the two go hand in hand with each other. Sonic games are usually arcade games with only one goal in mind, and encourage you to get there as fast as possible, with cutscenes and narrative on the sidelines. This makes the story seem disconnected from the gameplay, and therefore not a cohesive experience.

However, if you take the cutscenes and narrative and meld it with the gameplay well enough, you can overcome this. The problem with this is that the story is now tied to the gameplay, and therefore dictates the mood or pacing of such a level. If you stick with the usual level style of Sonic, you're just going to have repetitive high-speed scenes, with bearly any breaks between. If you make the story segments have their own speed and danger, though, you can overcome this obstacle, as well.

That's exactly what Boom is doing, coincidentally, and it's why I'm so entusiastic to experiance it. Sure, some of you may not like slowness, but in order to have good pacing in a story, you can't just rush through it 24/7. You have to treat it like a roller coaster, and let it weave in and out of such moments. That is what I see Boom doing, and that is why I'm so lax on it's separation from the main gameplay style.

Because it fits.

• Thumbs Up 1