Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

The 3DS one looks like a mix of Rivals and Rush.. :/

But it does show you can swap through the characters and use their unique skills.

*several quotes*

I'm wondering if what we're seeing of combat is because they're going to introduce an upgrade system into the works like Unleashed did to make you stronger, more endurance etc. So fighting becomes faster and less tedious.

I'm not going to say anything or call anyone out at this point because I learned my lesson with Sonic Lost World, but it's honestly baffling me what people expected out of this when it was pretty much confirmed to be an adventure brawler with friends. SEGA/Sonic has offered us way too much diversity over the years that the company is always going to be flipping off certain fans and polarizing others, meanwhile it's going to continue picking up momentum from new people that were put off by the speed.

I like what I'm seeing, because I was expecting a brawler from the start and an end product that is akin to Jak and Daxter, so I'm totally fine currently with it all.

I'm going to stay out this topic too because I'm honestly sick of reading all the negativity and expectations that weren't met because they were expecting a Sonic game similar to what we had in the past.

I also don't care what you all say, BRB/ Ex-Naughty Dog have still got the mojo to animate beautifully hot damn the characters are so fluent and full of personality, especially the mecha. Instantly giving me J&D Precursor vibes.

Oh my, this topic is so positive!

Same here. I was gonna say that maybe, like Sonic Unleashed, there will be upgrades and things to make your characters more powerful thus the brawling element won't feel so slow and clunky. Obviously we need more details but...

Anyways, I think the games look alright. I'm slightly anxious because of the previews saying how slow it is (please let there be upgrades!) but it isn't OMFG SO AWFUL. The Wii U version looks a lot better than the 3DS version and Lyric looks cool. You only think he doesn't look Sonicy because we've never seen a snake character in the series ever.

We knew this was going to be different from your precious boost2win, we knew it was going to be a brawler co op game, so why are most of you so surprised? It's a spin off game, it doesn't HAVE to be all about speed. Also, I loved Jak and Daxter so I think I might like this one, though I know for a fact I'm not buying it day one. I'll wait till the reviews come out, then I'll jump on the potential oh it's so shitty bandwagon. For now though, it looks okay and I'm anxiously awaiting more game impressions and previews.

When Sonic Boom was announced, a lot of people were skeptical on how this was going to work out. Some were happy that Sonic Team wasn't producing it while others were angry that the speed part of Sonic was removed in favor of a combat heavy focus. The redesigns also caused a rift in the fanbase in that they were either cool or ugly.

I took a more open approach in the franchise. The rift always seem to be a deja vu on past arguments of Sonic's gameplay style. Classic vs Adventure vs Boost. Sonic has gone through rapid gameplay changes and some stuck and some haven't. Despite this, I've played through almost every Sonic game bar 06. I still had fun playing them and I didn't mind the big changes. I've also been a huge platforming fan, so when games like Lost World focused on platforming instead of speed I didn't mind at all.

Now with this game, I'm honestly confused on the opinion of the game. First I hear the Wii U version looks way better, than a post after it says it looks like garbage, another says the 3DS looks disappointing, then the one after it says it actually looks like a lot of fun, then there's Werehog comparisons, then there's graphics comparisons... it's so confusing.

I'm also having a hard time understanding what the complaints are about. The game, or the Sonic franchise? I've been reading some thoughts and they seem to be more directed toward the loss of Sonic feel toward the game. We knew from Day 1 that the Sonic elements were going to be toned down with combat thrown in. With the new previews, this is exactly what I expected. Adventure, combat, and some speed thrown in. It was highly predictable and I can't say I'm disappointed because it was quite obvious what this game was going to be.

It's also weird because the reception of the game outside the Sonic fanbase seems to be completely opposite. Excited for the new Jak & Daxter game, saying it's a "good" game but not a Sonic game, saying it's like Werehog but good, etc.

So, how do I feel about the game? Well, let me start with the 3DS version.

"It's not like the Wii U version!"

I honestly don't think it's a bad idea to make it play completely different. This means if you buy both, you get to experience two different games instead of paying twice for the same one. The graphics don't look bad at all and there's a lot of color. I don't think people should judge the graphics based on those screenshots and video previews. The resolution of the 3DS is pretty horrible and games often tend to look like shit when shown. Almost every 3DS game goes through this phase but opinion on graphics shifts dramatically when it gets released. Mario Kart 7 looks like poop.. oh wait never mind it looks great in game and in motion.

14308346745_5ce92666c3.jpg

Lots of color, detail, runs smooth, etc.

The gameplay being different doesn't really mean it's bad. It was said that this version was going to focus on exploration and puzzles. Now when I'm reading complaints that there's too many puzzles and that it's too slow, I didn't really understand it. Ok, it's not like an actual speedy Sonic game but that doesn't mean it is bad. The huge exploration factor and puzzle factor actually seems interesting. A common complaint toward Sonic games is that a lot of people feel there is a lack of input. Well, here it is. You still get some speedy sections but you also get a ton of gameplay. I think the 3DS version can turn out great. I know some people are mad about Amy, but I'm guessing they wanted to limit the game to 4 characters so they had to place Amy somewhere else.

Overall, I'm really interested in this exploration based game. Sure a lot of Sonic elements are lost but if the game overall is great then I'm not going to be that upset over it.

How about the Wii U version?

sonic_boom_7.jpg

Let's make this clear. I'm pretty sure it's Youtube or the video feed causing the graphics to be an ugly mess. The original teaser above shows crisp graphics. On the lack of color? I think it's the footage we've seen so far by GameXplain that's making this judgement. We haven't really seen any other zones such as the one seen in the picture above. A toxic plant factory lacks color, dreadful, and everything is lifeless.. isn't that the point of a toxic factory setting? As seen in the 3DS version, I think we could see more lively and more colorful areas in other areas of the game. Again referring to the above picture, you see lots of color and life.

Boom1.png

The animation of the characters looks wonderful. Sonic seamlessly moving his body from move to move is visually awesome. The voice work seems to bring back the funny/up-lifting lines in the spirit of Sonic Colors and Sonic Lost World. This is a huge positive and can greatly enhance the experience. One thing that sticks out from Sonic Colors is the dialogue, it really does make the game better.

Now back to the gameplay aspect. We mostly saw combat and not too much exploration. I honestly want to play the game before I judge it completely as it's possible I may not be getting the full picture. The exploration part looks great. Knuckles climbing on walls and platforming, Amy doing her acrobatic moves, and Sonic spinning up ramps to get to higher platforms. I see no problem with this. The combat? Yeah, I understand that it breaks the pace and isn't really Sonic like but I think I may be able to handle it. I want to see more zones and more complete playthroughs.

What about those mach-speed zones? I saw a lot of complaints toward those but honestly, I think people are seeing them as big parts of the game instead of what they actually are - hub transports. Sonic Generations was a game focused on the whole boosting mechanic with long levels so it makes sense to make the player get into the game. Sonic Boom on the other hand is just tossing small, short speed sections sort of like a racing game. Is it a bad thing? I don't know. They seem to focus on speed exclusively with different routes. What if the one shown was just the first one in the game with no challenge? What if the input gradually grows as you go through the game? These types of questions are why I can't judge the entire game yet. It doesn't make sense to say that "this mechanic looks bad" when I have a lot of questions over it. The same thing with combat. What if there's a lot more to the process once you go through the game?

This game comes out in November. There's still a lot of time to refine the game. Honestly, a lot of these first impressions remind me of another game.

Remember this?

Sonic Stadium had SO many negative reactions toward this announcements but I stayed positive and knew that judging the game based on 2 levels was a bit silly and over-dramatic.

Then they released this video.

Suddenly the game is good and Sonic Stadium likes the game. But... it's the same game? The only reason it changed was because people saw more than the first few levels and got to see more of the game. I'm going to be excited for this game just like any other Sonic game. Success or failure, at least they tried.

Could this be the same for Sonic Boom? I need more trailers, footage, gameplay, thoughts, impressions.

Honestly these guys have more or less said what I have been thinking while catching up, but I'll add my own little bit. Personaly, I'm in the wait and see group, though worse case scenario, I'll wait to buy till its cheap. But on the upside, the character interactions, and writing may be the best we have seen. The game play is basicly what I thought it would be, but I do hope it gets a tad bit more refined

Also, the footage we are seeing, and the engine version, seems like it might be the one from all the way back in February back when it was revealed, we need to wait and see at E3 to know for sure

Final note, the 3DS version looks like a more refined version of Rivals to me, but with actual depth and challenges instead of race to the finish against broken and painful opponents

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm well aware the Enerbeam is an integral part of Sonic Boom. That doesn't change the fact of: why is it so integral, and why must EVERYTHING revolve around the Enerbeam? It can be a major part of the game without constantly having to use it for every little thing, especially when it comes to the bosses all playing almost identical to one another so far based on what we've seen.

Everything needs a gimmick; if Boom was all about combat without the Enerbeam, then it'd just be a poor man's Werehog. This is the gimmick they're going with. So what if it's everywhere -- that's the point. No-one complained about how Parkour was seemingly everywhere in the run-up to Lost World.

And about the bosses. So what if they all need the Enerbeam? All of Sonic's bosses in Adventure needed the Homing Attack.

Everything needs a gimmick; if Boom was all about combat without the Enerbeam, then it'd just be a poor man's Werehog. This is the gimmick they're going with. So what if it's everywhere -- that's the point. No-one complained about how Parkour was seemingly everywhere in the run-up to Lost World.

And about the bosses. So what if they all need the Enerbeam? All of Sonic's bosses in Adventure needed the Homing Attack.

Difference is the Enerbeam doesn't do anything all that impressive or elevate the core gameplay. It's just a fancy looking grapple hook that's just kinda there.

Recent tweet from Stephen Frost:

"Well, ok, that seems to be a very painful way to die. Was hoping for a different outcome than that." tongue.png 

Honestly it's too early to judge this game (Wii U) based on Alpha footage, but you know, I like it. The combat looks fun, the boss fights certainly seem creative. I love the look of Amy's gameplay. Maybe her best gameplay ever. The dialogue looks and sounds a lot better than what we got in Heroes. The stage design looks interesting to say the least. Looking forward to some more up-to-date footage. 

• Thumbs Up 2

No-one complained about how Parkour was seemingly everywhere in the run-up to Lost World.

Yes I did. I thought it was a bit ridiculous in every sense, we'd been complaining for years about not having momentum based gameplay, and now here was a game in which we had a mode that let you more or less run up anything from a dead stop at will which felt wrong for the most part.

Just about every trailer insisted in showing it off and the PR line of 'People kept falling in pits/crashing into rocks' really annoyed me since it never felt like a real problem but a minor issue from a handful of people being used to justify the gimmick.

Also since the argument is now 'it's too early to judge.'

I beg to differ, they're released this footage as to say 'this is our game,' but even when you compare it to the originally release trailer which is likely from an even older build it looks worse in so many areas.

Just go through the original trailer and find stages which are the same as the ones seen in the newest footage and compare. Noticable examples of a downgrade are Amy's sewer level and that high speed segment in the mist (no I am not on about comparing it to the bright colourful stage, there is a misty warp style stage later in the announcement video). Just about everything looks like it's had a downgrade in some area.

• Thumbs Up 1

Difference is the Enerbeam doesn't do anything all that impressive or elevate the core gameplay.

Apart from adding zipline functionality, giving a new way of beating bosses and dealing with shield enemies.

Yes I did.

Did you complain about the abundance of its use like we're discussing, or did you just take issue with its actual implementation?

• Thumbs Up 2

So this happened:

This fanbase works remarkably fast.

Also, that line is much funnier taken out of context.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't help but imagine the speed sections of the particular demo build lack implementations, graphics and whatnot to be seen in the final version.

As the animations, they appear quite spot-on and character-splendidly fluid.

Definitely some wonky kinks in the footage shown, but I feel this serves as more so a template for what is to be expected later on, perhaps even for the likes of E3!

• Thumbs Up 2

I can't help but imagine the speed sections of the particular demo build lack implementations, graphics and whatnot to be seen in the final version.

The one running down the side of the cliff or what appears to be a waterfall?

Yeah, I agree. I'm not familiar with the WiiU's graphics but it seemed to me like extra rendering would go on top of that. I hope so, anyway.

Recent tweet from Stephen Frost:

"Well, ok, that seems to be a very painful way to die. Was hoping for a different outcome than that." tongue.png 

Honestly it's too early to judge this game (Wii U) based on Alpha footage, but you know, I like it. The combat looks fun, the boss fights certainly seem creative. I love the look of Amy's gameplay. Maybe her best gameplay ever. The dialogue looks and sounds a lot better than what we got in Heroes. The stage design looks interesting to say the least. Looking forward to some more up-to-date footage. 

Hate to say it, but it's kinda obvious what was going to happen.

Take a franchise that has a familiar style, (even as skewered as Sonic), and try to change that to something else, the backlash is going to be overwhelming.

Taking away speed in favor of beat-em-up wasn't going to work out well. Especially when this franchise HAD beat-em-up before and it wasn't liked.

People like what they're familiar with. You can build up on it, you can even alter it, but do not take it away. Never take it away.

Franchises have died due to people wanting to take some aspect of it away. And taking away the core? You don't do that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Alright alright....after watching it a few more times I'm warming up too it. Sonic fighting style has a bit of a DMC thing going on and a I dig DMC gameplay.

I think I have been PC gaming too much these days the animations are fantastic and alive buuuuttt...

What is throwing me off its the fucking COLORS on the WiiU version so far. The Colors are soooo bland that its brings the game down for me at this point. I hope they make things a bit more colorful in the wiiU version please to the love a god. 

The 3DS version may be uninspired, but its doing the colors right.

Taking away speed in favor of beat-em-up wasn't going to work out well. Especially when this franchise HAD beat-em-up before and it wasn't liked.

Speak for yourself, I wholly welcomed our overlord Sonic Battle with open arms.

• Thumbs Up 7

Stephen Frosts tweet

Unless I have a glitch on my end. That tweet was made 13 hours ago? And I think it had more to do with his CPR training than the gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 2

If I may be so bold as to enquire, I think I'm sensing a pattern here.

Watch_Dogs had basically the same problems. Liked at first with hype, looked like it had a downgrade, and then was universallly panned by most.

And so I enquire - are people hating on all aspects of the game, or just a certain part but treating the argument as a whole?

Well from what I've seen I can't really say it's not what I expected. From the first trailer there was a clear distinction between the speed footage shown and combat. I felt as though the speed sections (more classic sonic gameplay) was going to get put off in it's own section of the game. To be honest, I don't see this as such a bad thing. Lets be frank here guys, Sega has tried a lot of methods when it comes to making a deep platformer along with keeping with Sonic's natural speed ranging through games from Unleashed toe Lost Worlds. Though, throughout all these games one thing has always been apparent, the speed and platforming sections were always kept separate.

Unleashed: The most black and white of them all. Speed by day, platforming by night.

Colors: Clearly had levels made more towards platforming and levels more towards speed running.

Generations: Probably the closest Sega ever got to combining the two and resembling the classic flow. The kicker here is that they actually brought back the classic form (sonic and all) and still split the game into two sections.

Lost World: About the same case as Colors. Though, Sonic's move set was drastically changed to slow him down to do platforming while his top speed was rarely a viable play style outside certain sections of a level. Hell, it even brought back the mach speed sections from 06.

Because of this, I just have to say that I don't see anything particularly wrong with Boom so far (especially since we've seen so little of the overall game). Do I think Sonic's moving a bit slower than I'd like? Yes, but there are times I've said that in the past couple of titles. To be perfectly honest, I'm excited about the outcome of it all. While it doesn't look like the Sonic game we were hoping for, it looks like a fun game in it's own right. The mechanics seem solid, the bosses seem fun, and the writing seems like some the best the series has had to date (thank God they haven't given up on that front). The only thing that puts me a bit uneasy is the overall art style we've seen so far. The levels shown do seem a bit generic in theme.

I can't wait to hear/ see more news of it. Why are we trying to gauge what the average reviewer is going to say about it this far out? Are we seriously still expecting un-bias reviews for this series? I realize that it's nice to have good reviews but lets be serious here, a large amount of these reviews won't care about this game anyway. I'm personally thinking about setting up a bingo card for when the reviews come with spots like "Sega has been aiming to make a bit of a comeback with Sonic" or "useless friends". It's been said before here (for multiple reasons) but at the end of the day the only review that matters is yours.

With all that being said, I'm both excited and cautious of Boom. There's still a lot that could be said that could gain hype and there's equally enough that can cause worry. I mean really, remember when some of the first gameplay segments of LW were being shown and people were calling it amazing? At this point, I've come to realize that speculation doesn't really mean anything until you get the game in your own hands.

• Thumbs Up 2

Speak for yourself, I wholly welcome our overlord Sonic Battle with open arms.

I was actually playing Sonic Battle a little while ago. :P

That's a bit different, It's not really getting the same kinda light as this, and not so drastic of a change. Er... trying to explain.

Was referring more to the Werehog, anyway.

Expectations were spot on. Pretty much what i expected from this from the moment it got announced.

Everything i am reading, reactions, gameplay, previews, entirely everything is spot on. 

All in all i think i am really looking forward to it...

I was actually playing Sonic Battle a little while ago. tongue.png

That's a bit different, It's not really getting the same kinda light as this, and not so drastic of a change. Er... trying to explain.

Was referring more to the Werehog, anyway.

I don't really see how Sonic Battle is any different.