Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

iziWyse.jpg

Apparently there's going to be hidden items as seen by that chest.

Edit: I SET MYSELF UP SONIMAN :(

• Thumbs Up 1

Watch_Dogs had basically the same problems. Liked at first with hype, looked like it had a downgrade, and then was universallly panned by most.

It's the fastest selling Ubisoft game ever made, and it has a score of 82/100 on Metacritic. That's not universally panned.

If you're talking about User Reviews, all I see are people complaining about graphics...because that makes up the entire game. Anyway, I'll stop as this is off topic.

Edit: I see frost's lurking this thread.

At least this means he's getting our input. Let's hope it helps.

I think the reason the Werehog got shit on was the length of his levels, precise platforming with a character not fit for it/designed to traverse those platforms without serious precision and how limited your battle combos are and how long it took to take out a group of enemies. Werehog stages pushes 30 minutes per stage if you bothered to stay and fight everything, and comparing that to the asinine medal collecting, order the levels go in and the fact day Sonic stages are over in 5 minutes, yeah I can see where they're coming from. If you took the time to max out Werehog (tedious due to EXP gathering and meter filling) you could breeze a werehog level in 6-7 minutes. 

• Thumbs Up 4

It's the fastest selling Ubisoft game ever made, and it has a score of 82/100 on Metacritic. That's not universally panned.

If you're talking about User Reviews, all I see are people complaining about graphics...because that makes up the entire game. Anyway, I'll stop as this is off topic.

I meant in terms of initial reaction, as is going on here now.

In no way was I refering to review scores.

[As I had said in a post quoting someone else who said the exact same thing]

Not to meeee.

In a few days I'll be trying this game out firsthand and will give my impressions. This game has signature elements of Ratchet and Jak in it, so I think I'll like it.

I would I could try out the game sad.png . Oh well. I look forward to hearing your opinions on it. With you on the Jak/Ratchet elements. I can already tell I'll love this game.

I think the reason the Werehog got shit on was the length of his levels, precise platforming with a character not fit for it/designed to traverse those platforms without serious precision and how limited your battle combos are and how long it took to take out a group of enemies. Werehog stages pushes 30 minutes per stage if you bothered to stay and fight everything, and comparing that to the asinine medal collecting, order the levels go in and the fact day Sonic stages are over in 5 minutes, yeah I can see where they're coming from. If you took the time to max out Werehog (tedious due to EXP gathering and meter filling) you could breeze a werehog level in 6-7 minutes.

Indeed. These enemies look to be few in number and are taken out easily enough, so I'm not too worried.

Slowing Sonic down a bit doesn't have to be inherently toxic.

You can tell by how well hidden it is

According to GoNintendo, you use the Wii U Gamepad to search for treasures buried underground.

- Sonic retains his Spin Dash

- follow up a Spin Dash into enemies with multiple kicks, accomplished by hitting the Y button

- Knuckles is slow, but powerful

- Knuckles has a 3-hit combo and a breakdancing flare move

- Amy is armed with a hammer and a three hit combo

- she also has a move where she lunges forward with her hammer and spins it

- she is the only character with a triple jump

- Tails is the only ranged attacker

- he can fire grenades by pressing X and this move can be charged

- pressing Y makes Tails drop a robot that seeks out enemies

- use the Enerbeam to yank off enemy shields and grab enemies

- Sonic spins the enemy around with the Enerbeam until you toss it at another enemy

- you'll use this trick to defeat the Crab Driller mini-boss

- the game includes multiple collectibles, include robot scrap parts used for upgrades

- search for Shinies, which are buried treasure

- you can only see this treasure by using the Wii U controller to light up a path

- unlock items and concept art from finding these goodies

- you'll get to fight Eggman and you are able to choose from all 4 characters during the battle

- the computer controls the other three characters when you aren't using them

- Eggman takes his egg shaped spaceship and merges it with a walker to fight you

- use your Enerbeam to grab robots and toss them at Eggman

- when Eggman is stunned, you can use the Enerbeam and yank Eggman

- this makes all the computer-controlled characters do the same to help yank Eggman down

- when he's on the ground, hit the attack button to make all the characters come in and beat Eggman up

• Thumbs Up 3

The reason the werehog got shit on is because people don't buy Sonic games to play slow brawlers. All those other things contribute to the crappy experience, but the root problem is that the gameplay should have never been there in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 2

The Werehog wasn't something to just dismiss because it was "different" either so by that logic Sonic should have stopped in 2D and looked the same every game too?

• Thumbs Up 6

The only thing that really bothers me is everyone is going on about this game not being 'Sonic.' But... I'm pretty sure awhile back we all sort've thought of it as not a Sonic game, but a 'Sonic BOOM' game.

Granted, I still can see some concern... I personally do because I wanna see this take off, so that BRB can make more.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic runs too fast to allow huge, detailed worlds to be built without a huge budget, I think. He can breeze through areas much faster than other characters in the genre.

And yet there's a large calling for adventure areas. I think SEGA chose to sacrifice top speed for more gameplay time and exploration.

Now the good news. Sony platformers often have an item that allows you to go much faster in free play. This could be the same.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm sorry, but both versions are looking painfully bland to me.

I know I've been an optimist over this multimedia project, for the most part, but I don't know, this really isn't looking all too impressive to me. The visuals in both versions look bland and uninspired, which I find inexcusable. The game is coming out THIS YEAR, and I have a hard time buying into the excuses that it isn't fully polished yet.

As for the gameplay, eh. I haven't been following the Wii U version much, but the focus on combat is kinda turning me off. The 3DS version's stages are looking really slow, and I play a Sonic game for speedy platforming, not characters with severely gimped abilities.

I still plan on giving the 3DS version a shot, but man, this was a real turn off. 

I'm just disappointed because the brawling looks to be not all that fun.  I want a good pace and enemies who die in a hit or two.  Even if this game lets you upgrade and unlock new moves, you shouldn't have to "unlock" the ability to have a satisfying experience.  That was an issue I had with the Werehog (gameplay I only enjoy now that I'm fully levelled) and if it's a problem here I won't be pleased.

Also as an Unleashed fan I agree that the speed gameplay we've seen so far looks empty and bland.

Other than that, the Amy not being playable on 3DS is also still utterly ridiculous.  Even if she's an unlockable, it's completely undermining the point of her finally getting main character status for a new game.

These are the main things that I feel absolutely need to change or be proven to be not what they seem at the moment for me to be excited about these games again.  They're big deals for me.

On the flipside, I am at least still interested in the storyline and stuff for these games, but god I'd hate to have another BioShock Infinite on my hands where I'm only playing to see what happens next.

• Thumbs Up 6

Well, get stuck in a dentist appointment and go figure SEGA finally drops some new info on Sonic Boom.

The Wii-U footage looks alright. It really screams "Jak and Daxter," though that's not overly surprising considering BRB's pedigree. I'm a little unsure about the fact that the gameplay overall is at a slower pace. I can only hope the game makes use of its heavy exploration focus to provide an interesting experience, but I guess it ain't quite Sonic if I can't speed around as I'm exploring; I really don't think you can only have one or the other. Combat does look a little repetitive, but I'm not overly surprised given the influence. I can deal with a button-mash fest so long as the enemies aren't tedious and take a huge amount of hits to drop (lookin' at you Egg Hammer from Sonic Heroes). I'll hold out until I see more or if SEGA decides to put out a demo on the eShop, but I'll be willing to give this a shot when the time comes. It'll fill time until the next big Sonic game drops, anyway.

I know it's been months, but for some reason I still can't get behind the new Knuckles design. I think I see some improvements in new artwork, so he doesn't look like his old head stuck on new body, but I just can't buy the reasoning behind it. Mr. Frost, if you're reading, I'm sorry if I sound like a stick in the mud, but I still think those big, spiked fists and slightly different build from Sonic sold Knuckles's power role well enough. But that's me. I do still want to see if other characters get the "Boom" treatment and how they're approached, though I get the feeling it won't be until later in the TV show or the next follow-up game.

... I'm honestly surprised here- was anyone expecting anything different? Was this outcome not obvious from pretty much day one and all they told us? Not being sarcastic or caustic or anything, honestly, truly confused. I was out for a couple of hours and it's like I return to a fanbase panicking that the sky is blue. This is pretty much 1:1 what I was expecting, a bit more zoomed out. ... was no-one else?

Anyways, my opinion maintains. Gameplay looks fun enough, thoroughly non-Sonic with speed sections to pretend it is. Visuals look like bland garbage. Will buy since the promise of a multiplayer brawler is fun, but will buy used since fuck giving SEGA money over this.

Now, the 3DS version. Anyone got links on that? Haven't seen anything of it.

The only thing that really bothers me is everyone is going on about this game not being 'Sonic.' But... I'm pretty sure awhile back we all sort've thought of it as not a Sonic game, but a 'Sonic BOOM' game.

No one here has complained that it 'wasn't Sonic', the complaint is that the game so far is not impressing anyone with it's new gameplay style, and worse yet is barely giving itself any reason to be called a Sonic game. There's nothing wrong with taking the series in a new direction but when that new direction abandons what made the originals unique in the first place, and ends up being bland and uninspired anyway, then there's seriously something wrong.

... I'm honestly surprised here- was anyone expecting anything different? Was this outcome not obvious from pretty much day one and all they told us? Not being sarcastic or caustic or anything, honestly, truly confused. I was out for a couple of hours and it's like I return to a fanbase panicking that the sky is blue. This is pretty much 1:1 what I was expecting, a bit more zoomed out. ... was no-one else?

What I was expecting was something less sluggish and disjointed. The trailers show a more fast paced game that'd blend it's speed and combat. What we saw here were the two being completely separate from each other and both looking token and bland.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Werehog wasn't something to just dismiss because it was "different" either so by that logic Sonic should have stopped in 2D and looked the same every game too?

There is a galaxy's worth of space between "no change is acceptable" and "every change is acceptable".

• Thumbs Up 2

A game that was heavily advertised to be focusing more on exploration and combat than a traditional Sonic game is, gasp, different than a Sonic game?!?

Tell me something I didn't know.

Anyway, this game looks pretty great from the gameplay stance they're coming from. The combat is snappy and is way less clunky than the previous beat-em-up attempt, the platforming sections look fun to explore, the bosses actually look like you're fighting against them rather than bouncing off of them and winning, and the transitional, rail-grinding-replacing mach speed sections look far more complex than I originally expected them to be.

The 3DS version is also a pleasant surprise. Metroidvania gameplay? In my 2D Sonic game? Sold. Plus, Knuckles' true potential has finally been realized with his drill wisp esque digging move, much more appropriate for him to use rather than gliding. The boss battle also looks very impressive for a 3DS game.

Overall, I'm very happy to see both versions in detail finally, and both definitely look to be worth a buy. Color me pleased.

• Thumbs Up 2

According to GoNintendo, you use the Wii U Gamepad to search for treasures buried underground.

*raises eyebrow* I hope those "Shinies" aren't mandatory.

A game that was heavily advertised to be focusing more on exploration and combat than a traditional Sonic game is, gasp, different than a Sonic game?!?

Stop right there, please. 

There's such concepts as "failing to meet expectations", "changing too much" and also "looking really fucking boring". They all apply to Sonic Boom.

I hate that I have to specify this, but as I will inevitably get called up on it, the above are all called "opinions" and they are being shared by many on here.

• Thumbs Up 7

Well, it's pretty much exactly as I expected. But I'm still disappointed that I was right.
  • Thumbs Up 2

I admit that might have been abit much, but I wasn't talking about review scores anyway. I'm talking about initial reaction, such as now with this game, where nearly everyone on the forum boards I frequent were basically saying it looked trash, played trash, and they couldn't give a monkey's.

Maybe on the PC side of things, but from what I've seen console players are pretty happy. Especially the online...its very intuitive. As for the PC market...yeah their a bit unhappy. PC gamers are always unhappy with ubi titles when they first come out though...cause Ubi can't port for shit to PC. Everyone else is fine though.