Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

This sums up my feelings about this whole endeavor from what could have been:

JNDk84f.gif

To the video itself...wow...I mean...WOW. that hub looked gorgeous. That looked so much more alive for the Sonic 'n friends to travel through.

Hahahaha this crap right here man. This is crazy hahahaha

• Thumbs Up 5

Wait, pause that demo reel from Tuan.

Look at the big robot that Eggman pilots in the final game.

Is that QNC piloting it?

Can someone do a side by side comparison with that Tails and Amy test cutscene and the final one? Wanna see if the textures look better at all.

omfg it's the original Hub! It's the Hub that was fucking abandoned!! O__O Also, I don't think I recognise that scene with Knuckles and Sonic passing a giant Quartz stone to each other.

Bloody hell Shadtzer how did you even find these? XD

I've relayed the "high end console game ported to Wii U" theory to some folks, and they're skeptical.

Does anyone have any sort of examples I could use as to how a port could take considerable work? Opposition to the theory generally rests on "it wouldn't be that hard to port it."

I've relayed the "high end console game ported to Wii U" theory to some folks, and they're skeptical.

Does anyone have any sort of examples I could use as to how a port could take considerable work? Opposition to the theory generally rests on "it wouldn't be that hard to port it."

• Thumbs Up 5

Opposition to the theory generally rests on "it wouldn't be that hard to port it."

• Thumbs Up 8

I'd ask how a multi-billion dollar company could think porting a game to a system that won't support it is a good idea...

...but then I remember they allowed the game to release anyway despite all its issues.

The commitment to deadlines is ludicrous.

I'm imagining some corporate suit saying it will only affect Sonic Boom.

Oh hell no. This isn't just hurting Boom, it hurts the whole wider brand. Sonic is in the title, and that's all the masses will care about.

I don't know, it still doesn't look like anything that was intended for high end specifications, but that's not to say that it was unlikely the forced direction change didn't muck it up. Most certainly it did, because despite the similarities to the previous generation consoles, the Wii U is still its own beast considering a weaker cpu in turn of reliance on the GPU's ability to handle some of those tasks. Seems like SEGA was lazy with their exclusive deal, and the game ended up getting hurt by it. Considering Cry Engine is a CPU dependent engine, I don't see how the hell they were supposed to port it without rewriting the engine to use the GPU for processing too.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is honestly quite depressing to see. It sucks that all of this talent got ruined in the final product. Seriously, I really want to know what happened during the development cycle. These guys could had made something special, but something/somebody (presumably SEGA) definitely got in their way.

I'd ask how a multi-billion dollar company could think porting a game to a system that won't support it is a good idea...

...but then I remember they allowed the game to release anyway despite all its issues.

The commitment to deadlines is ludicrous.

• Thumbs Up 5

This is honestly quite depressing to see. It sucks that all of this talent got ruined in the final product. Seriously, I really want to know what happened during the development cycle. These guys could had made something special, but something/somebody (presumably SEGA) definitely got in their way.

Metal Sonic running fight, I think. I recall they reuse it a couple of times, always loading shortly before. It was very jarring.

Seeing that hub world beta makes me feel a little good inside. Like, okay BRB wasn't completely bad and they actually had something good going. My question is what's up with SEGA being so persistent with deadlines. Releasing a broken game looks worse on you than releasing a game late. *sigh* I'll never know I guess. Anyways, that hub looks amazing and to know that they actually had that hub working is also cool.

Seeing that hub world beta makes me feel a little good inside. Like, okay BRB wasn't completely bad and they actually had something good going. My question is what's up with SEGA being so persistent with deadlines. Releasing a broken game looks worse on you than releasing a game late. *sigh* I'll never know I guess. Anyways, that hub looks amazing and to know that they actually had that hub working is also cool.

• Thumbs Up 1

I know it's all about business but what runs across their minds besides that? Is that really all they think about. Just meh.

The Wii U could've easily handled it. Not in that test state, but definitely better than what we got. Crysis 3 was running on the Wii U just fine, along with the fact Crysis 3 was released on the 360 and PS3. If EA or Crytek still had the CE3 Wii U codes or could even possibly help SEGA or BRB with development by sending those that worked on the Wii U Crysis, we could've had the game running just fine.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/crytek-explains-why-crysis-3-wii-u-had-to-die/1100-6404763/ Source for Crysis 3 on Wii U.

I don't think that is the case, I covered this in one of my what the heck happened articles. (section on 'the exclusive deal')

I don't think that the people who made the decisions that high understood or had any concept of what engine BRB were running the game on, let alone if the Wii U could handle it.

If they knew, or if any of them had even the most basic technical knowledge of how computer systems worked, there is no way in hell they would have all agreed to that deal for Boom.

The Wii U could've easily handled it. Not in that test state, but definitely better than what we got. Crysis 3 was running on the Wii U just fine, along with the fact Crysis 3 was released on the 360 and PS3. If EA or Crytek still had the CE3 Wii U codes or could even possibly help SEGA or BRB with development by sending those that worked on the Wii U Crysis, we could've had the game running just fine.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/crytek-explains-why-crysis-3-wii-u-had-to-die/1100-6404763/ Source for Crysis 3 on Wii U.

• Thumbs Up 4

So he has the HD build before the shift to Wii-U only? damn I want to see that build in action.

*Looks at Twitter* I think it'd be best if one or more of us downloaded the pics and made a new log rather than keep pestering her.

Shes just talking about the whole Dolphin Emulator Developer death, don't let it scare you off.

But if your that insistent on not letting her know whats going on, why not create a new IMGUR archive seeing as your the only one whos finding this concept art/video? we need to back this stuff up before it gets removed for whatever reason.

Boom Shadow confirmed for Smash Bros Trophy.

What happened? What in the actual fuck happened?!

Woah! That looks cool!

Creativity was abandoned, that's what happened.

I said this before but nobody really said anything, the original "Sonic Synergy" picture had a PS4 and Xbox One sitting in the room.

Also a note on that hub world video. Sonic's original charge move used to be a spin-kick but in the final game it's a spindash. I'm guessing that spindash wasn't even in the game originally?

Edit: By the way, the discussion about CryEngine 3 is a bit silly to me. As seen with the patch, it's very possible for BRB to have optimized the game. That's no excuse for a game that runs at 15fps with a lot of bugs. The issue is that a majority of the game wasn't even complete. We saw work in progress of the hub worlds. We even saw a hub world that just got work started on (The beach one) and wasn't finished in time for the final game. We also got 2 levels removed from the game.

So not only did they need to port the game to a brand new platform but they also had to build a lot of the game. The part that is confusing to me is if a lot of the work was being made so late, why didn't they just make the rest of the game suited to the Wii U's strengths? Why were the speed sections designed like that when it couldn't handle it?

Even though the Wii U couldn't handle the current build, I fully believe it could have run the beta worlds. CryEngine is more focused on GPU than CPU. With Wii U having a much more powerful GPU than the 360 and PS3, it should have been able to do a lot more work. Sure it has a weaker CPU but for an engine that focuses on GPU it's not really relevant.