Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

So is anybody going to back all this new material up? Without Andrea here to put new stuff into the IMGUR archive we are more or less going to forget all of it and lose it to time.

I might do it, then share the password/username with the other TSS staff. 

However I am very busy at the moment (see signature) so if I did do it it wouldn't be for a while. So don't rely on me for this one.

Which raises another question.

If Boom by some miracle had been AAA quality, why the Hell would we care about it replacing a subpar main franchise?

• Thumbs Up 4

So, a demo reel was posted up on Sonic Retro that contained footage of the mysterious beta hub world.

Good God, this game looks insanely better. 

Even though the Wii U couldn't handle the current build, I fully believe it could have run the beta worlds. CryEngine is more focused on GPU than CPU. With Wii U having a much more powerful GPU than the 360 and PS3, it should have been able to do a lot more work. Sure it has a weaker CPU but for an engine that focuses on GPU it's not really relevant.

So, a demo reel was posted up on Sonic Retro that contained footage of the mysterious beta hub world.

Does it really matter how powerful they are if the game isn't pushing any barriers at maximum, though? I thought the most difficult part of porting games over to other consoles was when it comes to how different the infrastructures between the consoles is, which to my understanding, is quite big between the Wii U and the PS360.

Anyway, all this new stuff... doesn't look all that different, honestly. The Hub definitely has better graphics, sure, but everything else looks pretty much the same as the last time I played through the game, except maybe with higher resolution textures than the final version. And as for the hub, sure, it has way better graphics, but isn't it... worse than the final game's hubs? It doesn't have any NPCs, it doesn't have any visible level design or pathways, it's just scenery. It's nice, but not better, imo. Plus we've already seen it like several times by now; pretty sure the spectacle should have worn off by now.

Mmm, We've only seen like a very small part of what it could have been. It's also in an earlier state (from what I know) than the final so of course it'd have less objects. Also the hub world in the final doesn't have much in the likes of level design either... Like... The final literally has like a couple of speed sections and a couple of platforming sections to get to a chest, which I'm sure of this hub had plans for too. 

Also just by the looks of it there is more to explore, so. I guess just imo it's way better than the final.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmM28X7m_WA

It's beeeyoutiifull!!!

Just imagine a finished game.... People would still be complaining about it's gameplay but at least it would have looked great.

so of course it'd have less objects. Also the hub world in the final doesn't have much in the likes of level design either... 

Actually... I think it might have more, though it's hard to tell without actually getting my hands on it or having some kind of exploring camera.

Objects in video games are not just things like rings, boxes, items, characters etc. They're also things you can see, but not have access to as well as stuff which you see and interact with, but you'll never even consider are objects.

For example, blades of grass, flowers, leaves on tress and basically anything which has a physical form within the game, even if it's inaccessible, so long as it's it's own unique individual entity, it's an object.

Now take a look at this screen from the final, and I fully admit this is a bad screenshot, just that I cannot find any other screens of Boom's hub world which is a good comparison to the beta one.

glitch-sonic-boom.jpg

So not including characters, what individual objects can we see? Also for those who don't know, for the sake of trees, if the tree has leaves on it which blow in the wind, depending how it's made, this might be either 1,2 or multiple objects which make up the tree, it all depends on how the object is created, but for a quick guess I would point out the following objects from this screen.

• Barrel,
  • bucket,
  • Tent cloth.
  • Tent poles,
  • Tent rope
  • crate,
  • benches, 
  • rocks,
  • The gas lamp
  • cliffs (possibly multiple parts to a single cliff, not just one solid cliff object but too hard to tell from viewing),
  • Tree (almost certainly multiple objects including repeating objects. For instance there are multiple leaves on the tree, so 1 leaf X number of leaves on the tree = total objects. But we don't know if the tree is individual branches or if each leave is it's own object.)

So about 11 objects, some of which contain multiple parts to that object made up of other objects.

Now compare it to this hub world... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=10&v=MmM28X7m_WA

You only need to count 1 object here to get an idea as to how many more objects there are in the original.

• Blades of grass

Anything else is just a bonus. Also that grass is indeed moving in the wind, it's very subtly but it's there, if you want evidence that the background is animated, check out the sunflowers by scarecrow Sonic, it's the most obvious object with movement.

You might now think 'is it really multiple objects?' Yes. Because you would not model or create one giant lawn for an area that big, you'd create a few/a small cluster then duplicate it in the level. It would save TONS of time and stop your development/creative team from killing themselves.

Whilst there's no way to know just how many objects make up both scenes, from looking at the screen and the video, my money is on the older version having more objects.

I could've worded that better better. I meant like, things to interact with. Gameplay objects not just objects. I've made a couple 3D game tests, so I know exactly what you're talking about but you know what I mean :V

There wouldn't be an emphasis on momentum-based physics working in conjunction with speed and platforming. 

There's more games in this series about gimmicky bullshit and dysfunctional controls than there are physics based platforming. The most "Sonic-like gameplay" you'll get anymore is running really fast with control that doesn't support it.

I'm not waiting for Iizuka to shit out a bad attempt at replicating a 20 year old game. I would take the series turning into Jak & Daxter 2.0 over anything Sonic Team plans to keyboard slap at this point.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well there's harsh reality, a worst case scenario, and then there's the hopeful ideal

A guy can dream

"We're building a synergistic world"

lel

Google Sonic Synergy and watch what happens...

PR at it's finest everyone.

UpFWeHw.jpg

I thought this was interesting. The crashing down of Tails unlocking the enerbeam seems to match the initial E3 trailer of finding the ancient land.

• Thumbs Up 3

Amy's pose is the same. Tails might be too. It's not perfect because of the time stamps but the only actual difference I see is Knuckles on his back.

The irony is that the actual early footage of Sonic Boom isn't that graphically impressive. It's honestly on Xbox 360 level and there are a quite a good few games on Wii U that are much better graphically. 

I know that porting CryEngine 3 to Wii U would be a nightmare, but it's still a funny point.