Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

So, the game could have been way better if not for the exclusivity deal? Ugh.

What makes it worse is that SEGA outright lied-- not only with the trailer, but saying CRYENGINE supported Wii U when it didn't, thus causing development problems. Unbelievable!

I mean, I'm still going to support the entire Sonic franchise, but it's this sort of thing that leaves a bad taste in people's mouths.

Because one is backed up by sources and three development studios while another is backed up by... uh... yeah.

People need to stop thinking this.

A lot of the design was done before it was put on Wii U. Better graphics do not make a good game. As Blue Blood pointed out, the initial hub world was never meant to be put into the final game.

You CANNOT magically transform one game to a system which isn't natively compatible with it and expect no problems,

Actually, I'm willing to say Boom would have been better if it had gotten onto next gen. It isn't a case of ''better graphics''. If the game didn't have to be rushed to Wii U, and the engine was actually compatible with the system at hand, this would have solved so many issues. A majority of glitches would likely be fixed (Because again, I'd say being forced to port this to Wii U at the last minute meant any time that was to be used giving the game it's final polish was used to rush job this to Wii U.)

The framerate would also likely be much better, as the engine would be better supported, and for all we know, more ideas to make combat less boring could have been added had the polish time the team would have gotten wasn't taken away from them in order to make the Wii U version. Plus, a lot of people have stated the speed sections would at least be good if they were so damn laggy all the way through, ruining the speed sections. 

Would Boom have been a great game, on Generations level if it was on the original consoles? No, I doubt it, but I would say had they had released it as it was originally meant to be on next gen consoles, a lot of the issues could have been solved and I'm sure the game would have been decent, or even good, if not heavily flawed.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still disagree. The "bad" part of Sonic Boom is the core game. The story, the combat, the platforming, the adventure aspect, the NPCs, the level design, etc.

Most of this stuff was done already before the port to Wii U. They would have to retool the entire game from scratch to fix a lot of these issues. The lag from the speed sections are the least of BRB's concerns.

Cool. But you do realize how people can turn this statement around? You're getting a degree, that's great. However, you're arguing with people who have decades of programming experience and hands-on work. Remember, experience is worth a lot more than knowledge.

Here we go again? 

The whole Rise of Lyric thing will never be over until either Sega or Big Red Button are for once completely honest with us. 

For the next few years I guarantee you there will be a new story, or a new controversy, or a new revelation or something.

My money is on a former BRB employee making a blog or writing to a journalist about his 'treatment' at BRB or some other report about what the working conditions were like. We've speculated it with the BRB exodus and Chris Senn's "I didn't leave willingly" comments, now this video takes it just that little bit further.

The thing that makes ROL different from other games in the past is that this was the first time that we were being lied to and it totally backfired because they couldn't hide it.

I'll admit that I was paying attention entirely so.................. lied to? About what?

Also I think a lot of people focus on the graphics of the game. Most of us know that graphics do not make a good game. Those level design plans were done on PC and were shown in the original E3 trailer.

It's not just the graphical quality I'm complaining about, it's that BRB could've spent the time porting the game to weaker hardware by polishing the gameplay and make any finishing touches on the graphical engine on their pre-Wii U build.

It is more that they had a game made for an entirely different system in mind and then had to rework it, rather than it being Wii U in particular. The "blame" rests on the publishers for their shitty exclusivity deal. Im assuming if it was built from the ground up for Wii U it would have fared better.

That being said, the game is shit from not only an aesthetic aspect but also a gameplay aspect. There are so many things wrong with Boom that I couldnt even play past the demo. At least 06 was fun in some areas.

Well yeah, the game being on Wii U is not all the blame why the game is what it is (the mismanagement, Sega taking part of the 3-game Nintendo deal, rushing this game out the door).

Of course there are elements that'll probably be shit either way (constant shitty dialogue, some of the character/art direction notably Knuckles), but I believe the game could've fared better on next gen hardware. I'm uncertain of this but the story could've been a lot better if not for allocating the time to port the game.

So hogfather are you going to make a 3rd spin article or update the first 2 with this new information?

Since it seems that many peope said a about who has most responsibility to this game, I make this post

if you digitize about who should be blamed . Who should be blamed most?

Personally, I think Sega(especially Frost) should be blamed most because, At first, Sega deceived gamers everything about Sonic Boom RoL (I don't know they deceive TV show and SC either) (and since frost said that false info. I think Stephen should be blamed most) and they made game worse contracting with nintendo (because of wii U), also they released this game in graveyard date which means many titles launch, and at last, outsourcing, they outsourced untested company to make new franchise which is invested a lot)

In conclusion I think Sega should be blamed 65~75% of Sonic Boom franchise's failure and especially, stephen should be blamed a lot either because he gave false information to us

More or less what Gabe said. Everyone deserves the blame for thie. SEGA for the mismanagement and BRB for the game itself.

But just to reiterate something I've said in the past, I have some resentment for Frost coming to message boards like this one to speak with the fans directly outside of what he actually had to do for his job. In doing so, he only gave us false promises which led to further disappointment. I'm pretty confident he only had the best of intentions and didn't want to mislead us or do anything even slightly malicious, but I really wish that he hadn't bothered. Considering the way he left the SEGA message boards as well, he probably felt the same way.

• Thumbs Up 2

All I've learned is that sega still haven't learned from 06, albeit ROL isn't an awful game it still shows that sega think they can slap Sonic's face on anything and people will buy it. 

More or less what Gabe said. Everyone deserves the blame for thie. SEGA for the mismanagement and BRB for the game itself.

But just to reiterate something I've said in the past, I have some resentment for Frost coming to message boards like this one to speak with the fans directly outside of what he actually had to do for his job. In doing so, he only gave us false promises which led to further disappointment. I'm pretty confident he only had the best of intentions and didn't want to mislead us or do anything even slightly malicious, but I really wish that he hadn't bothered. Considering the way he left the SEGA message boards as well, he probably felt the same way.

It's kind of sad too because Frost didn't just leave the forums, he left the company. He was behind some great titles so it's a shame he got strapped to Boom.

In response to previous posts, me saying "here we go again" wasn't referring to the reactions to the news that came about. It was referring to the fact that this game gets messier and messier with each spurt of news. I can't recall the last time a Sonic game has been like this. I don't think even Sonic 06 got this bad in terms of its development.

I'm well aware it may never end. But this game's background gets worse and worse the more we hear about it and it's really unfortunate that it turned out this way.

As for why I didn't eleborate more it was because I really didn't have much more to elaborate. I'd would be beating a dead horse at this point. All I could really say was what was said. Perhaps it was too vague of a post but that's honestly how I felt about the whole thing.

Even though I feel like there's not much more to touch upon in regards to this game after the video came out but that's another story altogether.