Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

We don't know that much about how they've changed Amy yet, it could go either way at this point on whether she's nothing like her vanilla personality or not.

To be honest, all they'd have to do to not make her be fawning over Sonic is to not have her first scene be her fawning over Sonic.  That's literally all the games (bar Heroes and Free Riders) have done previously that fans seem to interpret as "omg she's obsessed".

Hell even Lost World didn't have her "fawning over Sonic" by not having that typical scene.

• Thumbs Up 2

Amy's not fawning over Sonic, obviously she doesn't care about him at all.

You misunderstood. Amy caring about Sonic =/= Amy fawning over Sonic.

The fawning itself is essential to her character. It's been her defining trait since day one.

Here, I'll let Clement do the talking for me, skip to 13:08:

I know the context is about 06, but please focus on where he explains why he likes Amy.

Can I just say that I don't mind Amy not being obsessed with Sonic? That's pretty much the reason I always found her annoying in the main series. If this version of Amy is "in name only", I think she's better for it.

Another idea I had.

We've been told they're partners and that Eggman is trying to exploit Lyric, no?

What if Eggman awoke Lyric in his usual fashion, hoping to make use of his power, and surprise surprise, he was more than strong enough to floor Eggman's forces and not be totally subjugated? Eggman, being the savvy sort, quickly puts up the white flag and proposes an alliance between the two, though he makes sure it seems he's just trying to save his own skin (which he technically is, but the Art of War states you should make your foes assume you're a complete coward).

So the partnership ensues... Eggman plans to rise up against Lyric at first opportunity and harness his power, and Sonic and co. will be key in helping weaken the latter, while Lyric probably plans to dispose of Eggman when he's no longer useful (i.e. after he's beaten Sonic).

On the other hand, a legitimate partnership with Lyric supplying his arcane power and Eggman supplying machinery to make use of said power works as well.

Either way I think this will at least be very different from the politics of the Deadly Six or usual "Eggman awakens monster, controls monster until the end, gets sent flying" model.

Going at a decent speed shouldn't put you in danger.

It tends to in Sonyland. You get higher speed, at the risk of flying off cliffs and the like.

• Thumbs Up 1

In defense of Knuckles the doofus, he's had that personality since post-SA2. I'd hardly blame BRB for going with that personality trait.

I mean, I do not like that interpretation, but I'd hardly focus the heat at Frostman and his team. Focus it at Sonic Team for letting it become standard.

I don't know, Boom Knuckles seems way dumber than SEGA Knuckles. SEGA mostly seems more angry with some dumb moments, whereas Boom just seems really dumb.

That said, I could be forgetting things.

It tends to in Sonyland. You get higher speed, at the risk of flying off cliffs and the like.

Well it shouldn't. Jak's slowness really annoyed me.

Well it shouldn't. Jak's slowness really annoyed me.

Eh, it really only annoyed me in Jak 1 (with its huge open worlds and whatnot) and the segments between missions in the sequels. In Jak 2 and 3, I was always too busy platforming or punching/shooting the crap out of enemies during the missions to think, "man, this guy is slow." As long as Boom's adventure stages keep me busy (and interested) like Jak did, I don't think the low running speed will be an issue for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

One thing that... Worries me? I have seen plenty of people mentioning how it looks like a J&D or R&C game, just seems to me that instead of trying to make this like a sonic game spinoff that looks like a sonic game in more than name only, they are just trying to make a R&C/J&D game and maybe they couldn't get a license to do so or something. Just seems like they are trying to make the job fit what they already know as opposed to making the product fit the job.

The game itself doesn't look bad just...dissapointing? The combat is just so slow and doesn't have any sense of flow or fluidity, and the characters do seem to move slow, especially sonic, he is meant to be the fastest thing in the world! The speed sections are alright, nothing breathtaking and the enerbeam in these sections seem to lack physics, with the characters just snapping into place as opposed to being flung there I'm keeping an eye out and I might get it, but the game doesn't seem even remotely sonic like, even for a spinoff and so far the overall quality just seems...iffy.

Plus, no offence meant, but a lot of the members who want them to add certain things from other J&D/R&C games, it seems they just want another R&C/J&D game and this is the closest thing they are getting. I so wonder what it would be like if a R&C/J&D spinoff did the same thing, but changed to sonic gameplay, how would they react?

So. um. 

Shadow the Hedgehog, is

not a spin-off. It still has loop de loops, springs, and rings of the sorts. Different Storytelling =/= Spin-off.

As for the earlier comments (which as of now have cooled down, that's why this is spoiler'd) I indeed do think some people are basis their "too slow" arguments off of something this game is not. Now before I get bashed for it, some people are indeed indirectly making comparisons to normal Sonic gameplay as if Boom was supposed to follow these rules. Even if Sonic is all about speed, which by technicality he's not, Boom shouldn't NEED to be fast to qualify as Sonic. Where as Sonic 1, 2, and 3 were definitely had speed... but only if you could manage to pick it up and keep it going throughout a level. Sonic's ground speed was always sort of slow and the speed part of him was something that was just per se tied to his personality, and moveset. I really do personally think that people are expecting what was not to be expected. They want main Sonic gameplay in something that wasn't meant to have it. They think that because it's Sonic it's already predetermined to be on previously painted on canvas with things tweaked and tuned to be "different".

I think I've mentioned this before but why do we consider spin-offs to be so clearly tied into Sonic. Like, Black Knight, it's considered to still be a Sonic game but it's a spin-off, but it also people still hold it to the merits of a standard Sonic game? Like whenever I first used Black Knight I said something along the lines of: "If Sonic and the Black Knight can be considered a 'Sonic' game or even Shadow, why can't Boom?" Then people jumped to the fact that it wasn't meant to be a normal Sonic game. But when using this to defend Boom, like mentioning that Boom still has speed in it but it's not as prevalent, it's mentioned how spin-offs should still be Sonic like. 

I just don't understand.

What I noticed that people have seem to forgot, or maybe just not mentioned, is remember when Sonic was Running on water, Homing attacking what seemed to be a light and Tails flying? These aspects are still there but just weren't shown in the most recent so I wonder what it'll be like in these parts. Amy's running speed in the initial "hype" trailer wasn't too bad it seemed and there was a long hallway Sonic was about to traverse after he spindashed up the ramp, so I think that the pace will still be kept pretty fine and that there has to be a speed power up OR they level up during game and speed is one of the things that levels up. Because if you're learning the mechanics you'll start off slow and have ground speed to match (while this can be considered a bad way to handle it, if you can level it up later it doesn't really matter too much to me.)

Also from the looks of it either starting a homing attack on an enemy and continually doing so leads into the downwards kick or you can just keep homing attacking. Because in the initial reveal Sonic's homing attack had a trail and went a pretty far distance to hit the light while the combat one still, from the looks of it, had a trail but maybe that means you can continually homing attack if you want but if you want to can link it into a combo? 

When Sonic spindashes up the ramp in the initial notice how there wasn't any enemies but were some rings to the side indicating a different path, maybe that's a good sign that combat won't be too heavily placed everywhere. Also where Amy is running in that trailer there's one enemy that Sonic kicks while she's still running, maybe that indicates that skilled players can defeat enemies and keep the flow going? Idk maybe. But if the combat gets upgraded like the werehog maybe combo's can be executed quicker and such? I think if that's the tutorial stage that they're just trying to warm you up to the gameplay and if it's a later on stage Sonic hasn't been leveled (or upgraded and whatnot) because it was a demo.

EDIT: @Jolt I think you're looking a tad too far into it. As any type of developer, artist, programmer, musician, you'd like to throw your own take on things or sometimes your style can't help but influence your work.

• Thumbs Up 1

Specifically they said Knuckles is just a bit slow on the uptake, not that he's outright stupid. Even before it was exaggerated to hell, Knuckles wasn't always that sharp, its just never been the focus of his character until recently.

C'mon, let's not pretend "slow on the uptake" isn't code for "dumb as bricks".  All of his lines we've heard confirm as much.

The only really dumb thing Knuckles used to have was his naivety. Somewhere down the road it was decided that that meant he's a complete idiot.

Eh, it really only annoyed me in Jak 1 (with its huge open worlds and whatnot) and the segments between missions in the sequels. In Jak 2 and 3, I was always too busy platforming or punching/shooting the crap out of enemies during the missions to think, "man, this guy is slow." As long as Boom's adventure stages keep me busy (and interested) like Jak did, I don't think the low running speed will be an issue for me.

I found it far more annoying in the sequels. Especially Jak 2, where the city was overfilled, large and badly designed so that if you used the hoverboard or cars (Which add awful controls to the equation) you'd constantly crash into someone or something.

Jak's normal running speed should've been the speed he got from Blue Eco in the first game.

C'mon, let's not pretend "slow on the uptake" isn't code for "dumb as bricks".  All of his lines we've heard confirm as much.

The only really dumb thing Knuckles used to have was his naivety. Somewhere down the road it was decided that that meant he's a complete idiot.

He says a few goofy lines and that suddenly means he's a complete dumbass? That's a pretty large leap in logic. Secondly, being naive still didn't excuse Knuckles from doing extremely idiotic things. This is still the same character who's best course of action when he saw his emerald being stolen, was to shatter it. The same guy who's first instinct was to attack Sonic because he assumed something about him, rather than asking questions.

Like come on, Knuckles has never been that smart, I don't know why people are acting like he was. And I say this as someone who doesn't really care for his current personality either.

• Thumbs Up 8

He says a few goofy lines and that suddenly means he's a complete dumbass? That's a pretty large leap in logic. Secondly, being naive still didn't excuse Knuckles from doing extremely idiotic things. This is still the same character who's best course of action when he saw his emerald being stolen, was to shatter it. The same guy who's first instinct was to attack Sonic because he assumed something about him, rather than asking questions.

Like come on, Knuckles has never been that smart, I don't know why people are acting like he was. And I say this as someone who doesn't really care for his current personality either.

He broke the Master Emerald because it's an all-powerful item that could cause a lot of trouble in the wrong hands and he can easily fix it, as shown in Sonic Adventure. As for the second one, like I said, he was naive. Eggman tricked him into thinking Sonic was collecting ME shards and then he saw Sonic with something that looked the same. It was brash and yes, a bit dumb of him, but hardly comparable to him thinking he has a cream filling. I'm not saying he has to be a genius, but he was never quite this dumb, nor should he.

Also, it's not a large leap of logic when the developers say he's dumb.

• Thumbs Up 1

He broke the Master Emerald because it's an all-powerful item that could cause a lot of trouble in the wrong hands and he can easily fix it, as shown in Sonic Adventure. As for the second one, like I said, he was naive. Eggman tricked him into thinking Sonic was collecting ME shards and then he saw Sonic with something that looked the same. It was brash and yes, a bit dumb of him, but hardly comparable to him thinking he has a cream filling. I'm not saying he has to be a genius, but he was never quite this dumb, nor should he.

Also, it's not a large leap of logic when the developers say he's dumb.

The word your looking for is ditzy, not dumb :V a character who says a few odd lines isn't the equivalent being stupid, no matter how you try to twist it.

If you don't like Knuckles this way, that's fine, I'm kind of sick of this exaggeration of his intelligence based on only a few lines of dialogue, when's he's done more moronic things in the past that people seem to have forgotten.

And I should remind you that you're the misinterpreting the words of the developer because once again, they never have said once that he is stupid in any capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 5

Even I'll admit that line is a bit out there, but I still wouldn't call that being an all and outright dumbass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In all honesty, I'm not sure if Knuckles is dumb or insane.

I think being from an ancient race does something to your head. Maybe it's good Sonic isn't like Sticks or Knux and presumably grew up in modern society.

Do we even know the context of that cream filling line? Kind of feels like your really jumping the gun with that as an example.

• Thumbs Up 1

Even I'll admit that line is a bit out there, but I still wouldn't call that being an all and outright dumbass.

You said yourself that Knuckles has said more moronic things in the games. So are we able to use the line as a demonstration of Knuckles' intelligence in the two canons without context or are we aren't? Because if I'm not allowed to say how dumb that sounds without evidence you really can't make an opposing comparison either.

I assumed the cream filling line was him trying to entice the robots into actually going to that spot.

As their mission is likely to destroy Sonic and Co. And with an offer of an ending like that, who wouldn't wanna go and 'crush' them?

• Thumbs Up 1

You said yourself that Knuckles has said more moronic things in the games. So are we able to use the line as a demonstration of Knuckles' intelligence in the two canons without context or are we aren't? Because if I'm not allowed to say how dumb that sounds without evidence you really can't make an opposing comparison either.

I said he's done more moronic things in the games, and fans can seemingly excuse those moments due to certain circumstances. So I don't understand why that can't apply here, especially since the prior examples we at least know the context, with the 'cream filling' line, we're literally taking it at face value and calling "OMG HE'S A DUMBASS, RUINED FOREVER" 

That's...pretty extreme.

Its not so much that I don't agree that he's a dumbass, for all we know he could be a complete meathead, but rather why is this one line of dialogue a confirmation that he has no brain cells whatsoever?

As I said before, this sounds more like Big the Cat's personality. Isn't he a goofball who says supposedly "dumb" things too? If Boom!Knuckles is more like Big I won't mind so much. We've only heard a few of his lines, so how can we know he's a dumbass already? Better than an aggressive idiot who gets hit and smacked around for comic relief HAR HAR.

• Thumbs Up 1

Big is also... dumb. At leas that's how I've always seen him. I like Big and that personality is fine for him. I don't want it for Knuckles, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

I want to say something about the comparisons to Jak & Ratchet having some form of speed upgrade to make the characters move faster than their normal pace... You failed to say that you have to earn those privileges to begin with, and they aren't mandatory at all. Case in point in Ratchet Nexus once you beat the arena challenges you unlock an upgrade that let's you turn Clank into a jetpack, various places in the game let you use the jet pack for massive exploration  of their maps but they introduce a "fuel" system that stops you taking advantage of using it to fly out of the games map and boundaries etc. The reward from beating the arena is a gadget that lets you explore previously unexplorable areas with certain hot points where you can refuel but you've got to judge how often and when you should engage the thrusters to conserve fuel.

Another case in point is Jak 2, the game introduces you to the hover board during an arena challenge, giving you a chance to try it out but later in the game you're given the board for completing a difficult mission that requires you to use it, before you didn't really think you'd need the jet board at all since the areas you visited were pretty close together, until you realize the further you progress in the game, the bigger the game map turns out to be and the air board just makes getting around easier and adds new layers of gameplay to Jak's arsenal. This is what these games are known for, mixing up gameplay styles to constantly keep an otherwise repetitive experience fresh, they reward you at the right times with new ways of mixing the games up.

In Jak 2 & 3 there are unlocks to make the Jet Board faster, but as Ogilive said it comes at the price of control, you get faster overall speed but your likely hood of falling off the map or accidentally running into an enemy/guard increases. Something else I've just thought of, I wonder if BRB will scrap the lives system in favour of returning to a checkpoint like Ratchet and Jak do, something about Sonic that has always annoyed me is the implementation of lives and how pointless they are, now that Sonic and Co. Have life bars, I wonder what will become of the life system?

So TL;DR: I'm expecting there to be unlocks throughout the game that expands the exploration factor where you can access previously un-accessible areas the more you progress in the game, and I'm expecting BRB to offer us new gameplay mechanics that are completely optional to say the least.

By the way, the Guardian Chase section is completely reminiscent of the Spider Chase in Jak 3 and the Metal Head centipede in Jak 2, seriously guys we've got a Jak successor on our hands here more than anything. 

• Thumbs Up 3