Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

So, it's still an alpha build then? Even the screenshots and footage? In which case...wow. Talk about a built alpha.

Oh god that was a pun I am sorry

It's nice to see a developer like Frost posting in this topic and engaging with the fans! While I think the game looks alright at the moment, I'm eagerly awaiting more gameplay footage and trailers so I can get a better impression.

I definitely think the strongest thing about this game is the character animation. I love how cartoony it is and it's oozing with personality! BRB have done a great job and I can definitely see the Jak and Daxter influences there, so kudos to that.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's nice to see a developer like Frost posting in this topic and engaging with the fans! While I think the game looks alright at the moment, I'm eagerly awaiting more gameplay footage and trailers so I can get a better impression.

I definitely think the strongest thing about this game is the character animation. I love how cartoony it is and it's oozing with personality! BRB have done a great job and I can definitely see the Jak and Daxter influences there, so kudos to that.

So far, to me Sonic Boom is kind of looking like the the spiritual successor to Jak and Daxter I've been waiting on since the last actual Jak game (Jak 3) was released, while still keeping just enough Sonic elements to justify putting Sonic's name in the title. November really can't get here quick enough for me; I need this game in my life.

I cautiously await more information on Boom, and look forward to what it accomplishes. It looks decent enough, and I can respect its existence and purpose. At least Frost is honest about it not being anything like we expect a Sonic game to perform. And if the game seems fun, regardless of if it's not Sonic enough or is, I will enjoy it. I hope we get to see a better build sooner or later. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On the topic of Jak & Daxter, you know what I would like in this? Audio Commentary for the cutscenes. Jak 3 had that as an unlockable. It's pretty cool. That and/or some featurettes like Uncharted would make me happy.

• Thumbs Up 5

On the topic of Jak & Daxter, you know what I would like in this? Audio Commentary for the cutscenes. Jak 3 had that as an unlockable. It's pretty cool. That and/or some featurettes like Uncharted would make me happy.

That'd be awesome. I think it'd also be pretty cool if we got to have a model viewer like Jak 3 had where the characters talk like animated actors, though I suppose the chances of that happening are pretty much zero. Shame, I thought the model viewers were pretty funny.

I really love BRB 

I really love how BRB aren't afraid that fans and critics might hate the game, there are too many developers around that fear such a thing.

Yes, what Big Red Button is doing is, for the most part, rather admirable. Yet, at the end of the day, if we end up with a bad game, if it doesn't sell anything, it doesn't quite mean much. You have to approach this like an industry insider, comrade: they can push whatever boundaries they like, but if the product ends up poor, then it becomes a warning, not victory, to the gaming world at large. That's not to say you can't be optimistic for the game, or for BRB, but don't talk like the end result isn't important when it can completely change how people approach this game and this company.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yes, what Big Red Button is doing is, for the most part, rather admirable. Yet, at the end of the day, if we end up with a bad game, if it doesn't sell anything, it doesn't quite mean much. You have to approach this like an industry insider, comrade: they can push whatever boundaries they like, but if the product ends up poor, then it becomes a warning, not victory, to the gaming world at large. That's not to say you can't be optimistic for the game, or for BRB, but don't talk like the end result isn't important when it can completely change how people approach this game and this company.

Oh, I didn't mean that it doesn't matter if the game turns out bad or flops. I kind of worded that a bit wrong.

If the game is poor then yes, you are quite right that it's a problem. BRB is still unproven though which is why I'm remaining cautiously optimistic for Rise Of Lyric. I don't love them since we dint know how good they are yet. There is an equal chance that while their mentalities are good, their development skills might be bad. I guess we'll have to wait and see. :/

Bit more info on Lyric.

They describe him as being more vile and formidable than any other villain in Sonic's history.... yeah whatever.

SEGA will unleash an all-new Sonic the Hedgehog at this year’s Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles with the debut of playable versions of two new titles exclusively for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS. The new games Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric for the Wii U system, developed by Los Angeles-based Big Red Button, and Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal for the Nintendo 3DS hand-held system, from San Francisco-based Sanzaru Games, will introduce new gameplay and the most vile and formidable villain in Sonic history — Lyric.

In both games, Sonic and friends – Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and the newest member of the team, Sticks, will work together as they face their most powerful enemy yet. Lyric is a giant and monstrous snake-like creature from an ancient race. An extremely tech-savvy mastermind who uses a sophisticated robotic body of armor to carry out his own nefarious deeds, he is a formidable enemy and a force to be reckoned with. With a strong emphasis on collaboration, the roles of Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and Sticks, will be elevated in gameplay that capitalizes on each character’s unique talents and abilities. The goal is to prevent Lyric from powering his army of robots and carrying out his plan to destroy the world. The stakes have never been higher, and the only chance to overcome Lyric is to band together and work as a team. (Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric, Developed by Big Red Button for Wii U. Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal, Developed by Sanzaru for 3DS).

http://blogs.sega.com/2014/06/06/sega-offers-exciting-slate-of-video-games-at-e3-2014/

Didn't they say that about the Deadly Six too?

Yep, they did. It's sad because they could have been amazing characters if fleshed out properly. :(

Didn't they say that about the Deadly Six too?

Yep, they did. It's sad because they could have been amazing characters if fleshed out properly. sad.png

And Black Doom.... And Sonic 4 when Metal Sonic was revealed.

I will say that I like that lyrics seem like less of a monster and more of a partner of eggman. I think they even said he has his on robots right?

While its not saying much he does seem more interesting to me than any other villain. Although I will admit I liked dark gaia simply cause it was strong enough to split the world apart.

As far as im concerened if they cant right more than one villain then making it just eggman wont make him any better.

I hope this doesn't mean Lyric's just gonna be some big bad "grrr evil look at how evil I am" guy with no charm or personality whatsoever.

I hope this doesn't mean Lyric's just gonna be some big bad "grrr evil look at how evil I am" guy with no charm or personality whatsoever.

I think Zavok was pretty much the same. Which is a shame because before the game was released, he looked like a legitimately threatening villain to me.

So no run button, then? Oh well. Was hoping for a faster speed, but it won't make or break the game for me.

Also, if Lyric is going to be a brute villain, then they should get Steven Bulm to voice him. The guy knows how to make a threatening voice, yet still retain a sense of sly charm to it; perfect for a snake character such as Lyric.

I hope he isn't too overshadowed by Eggman, because otherwise lyric would seem kind pointless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Lyric has potential, so I really hope he isn't screwed up. As for him being stated to be more vile than any other Sonic villain, I can picture that being the case if they give him a real personality. Being super evil like Black Doom, Mephiles or Zavok means nothing if he doesn't have more to his character than "I'm ultra evil and stuff." 

I've got this scene in my head where Eggman's trying to get in good with Lyric (so he can use his power for himself of course), and Lyric's just being as friendly and funny as can be until someone does something to upset him (in my head it's Orbot snarking him the way he does Eggman) and Lyric proceeds to grab him rather painfully with his metallic claws and describe the ways he'll toy with his mind before tearing him to shreds if he upsets him again, all with an insane look on his face though never dropping the friendly voice. I think it'd be a good way to establish Lyric's character (and serve as a sort of Break the Haughty moment for Orbot).

Well, I think it'd be a cool idea. It'd certainly make him stand out from all the other non-Eggman Sonic villains

If they're giving him his name in the title, and being the main villain of not one but two games... I'm really optimistic they'll treat him right. He's not a fire and forget villain, I get the feeling, so hopefully he'll be handled with care.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's allowed to be more sinister than Eggman himself, though.

I think less could be more with Lyric.

Just imagine sonic doing his usual wise cracking "humor" and lyrics just looking at him not angry not annoyed but still holding his natural menacing look that he get from being a snake.

Then as sudden as a real snake, he spits venom right at the team knocking them out while he dissapears.

Im just saying we've had alot of villains that have claimed to be more serious or menacing than eggman but all of them have to make a point of it. they always have to go on and on about what they want to do. And how much chaos they are goin to cause.

I want lyric to be the guy that just puts his shining sharp fangs right next to sonic face face and lets them do the talking. It would also be cool if he wasnt the guy who did it but instead the girl.

And lucky him sonic wont be able to do a thing about it cause he forgot how to run.

All I want is for this guy to not stomp and kick Eggman to the side. Every other villain tends to always wind up overshadowing the doctor and every time they pretty much kick him to the side, he gets constantly discredited in his position as a villain.

The only real reason he's even in the series, anymore, seems to be brand recognition, or the usual excuse to wake up whatever MotW.

• Thumbs Up 2

All I want is for this guy to not stomp and kick Eggman to the side. Every other villain tends to always wind up overshadowing the doctor and every time they pretty much kick him to the side, he gets constantly discredited in his position as a villain.

The only real reason he's even in the series, anymore, seems to be brand recognition, or the usual excuse to wake up whatever MotW.

They said we'd be seeing a more "sinister" side of Eggman, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Rise of Lyric? Sticks the Badger? My god I've missed out on a lot while I was studying abroad. Either way, sticks looks interesting aside from the annoying voice. And I pray to god that Lyric will be somewhat of an interesting bad guy. As for the gameplay, it looks pretty cool but I feel like the enerbeams are gonna wear on my nerves. And knuckles is going to be a walking punch line? Why am I not surprised?

They said we'd be seeing a more "sinister" side of Eggman, so I wouldn't worry too much.

They did, so I'm somewhat relaxed, a little -- not by much. History gives me reason to be wary of it. That and what little dialogue I heard, it wasn't very sinister at all. That doesn't mean the sinister side can't come later. If they can actually balance stupid jokes and seriousness, then I'll be happy.

Still, they felt the need to MAKE a new villain, so I'm not the most trusting of their work. Now, if this was meant to be the foundation of how he came to create Eggman Empire, taking over Lyric's old military, then I can see it. I mean, not even SEGA Eggman actually was told how he came to create these robots and form such a large military.

At any rate, I'm wary of it all the same, it was said that he was meant to be shown as more sinister, but I suppose I'll just have to wait until I can watch the scenes online or something.

This part kind of makes me chuckles. Wasn't it said that this was Sonic and co.'s first adventure and that they were still working out the kinks of teamwork and everything? If so, then no shit the stakes have never been higher. laugh.png

• Thumbs Up 3