Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

This part kind of makes me chuckles. Wasn't it said that this was Sonic and co.'s first adventure and that they were still working out the kinks of teamwork and everything? If so, then no shit the stakes have never been higher. laugh.png

Your picking apart the language of a press release. What hell is this?

Your picking apart the language of a press release. What hell is this?

You're not a very fun person, are you?

• Thumbs Up 2

I hope Lyric's evil personality will be executed better than Black Doom, Mephiles and Zavok combined. I have faith in BRB's writers that they can make him a great villain. If only I knew who the writers were though. .-.

I hope Lyric's evil personality will be executed better than Black Doom, Mephiles and Zavok combined. I have faith in BRB's writers that they can make him a great villain. If only I knew who the writers were though. .-.

So you have faith in the writers even though you don't know who they are?

So you have faith in the writers even though you don't know who they are?

Well, what I mean is...the script in Sonic Boom seems to be pretty good (IMO) from what we've heard, similar to Pontac but not quite. I'm hoping that unlike Pontac though, or should I say SEGA, they can write a much better villain since most of SEGA!Sonic's villains besides Eggman and Merlina have been super lame. I just wish we knew who the writer(s) for Sonic Boom is, but I still have faith from the first impressions in making of videos and stuff that it'll be good and they can make Lyric a great villain.

Maybe they'll tell us at E3 who's writing the script?

Honestly I find what we've seen so far to be mediocre at best, the only thing that got me to chuckle was that "that's so alternate dimension me" line. And even that was more cause of Mike Pollock being awesome than anything else.

Honestly I find what we've seen so far to be mediocre at best, the only thing that got me to chuckle was that "that's so alternate dimension me" line. And even that was more cause of Mike Pollock being awesome than anything else.

Isn't that from the show anyway?

Honestly, we haven't heard much of the game's dialogue outside of some level chatter, which... wasn't great.

From what we've heard so far, I think the dialogue is at least better than Sonic Team Sonic. That's not to say though that Sonic Team can slack off with the original series' characterisation. They almost nailed it with Lost World, there were scenes that somewhat fleshed Sonic out a little more. I think they need to continue doing that.

Honestly, I don't dig that Pontac-similar writing and lines. While I love cheesiness in Sonic games, I dislike when it's intentionally cheesy, because it comes off forced and just... not funny.

Maybe they're not ALL like that. If there's more meat than lame-jokes then I'll tolerate it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh, I personally like the jokes we've heard for this game. I guess it all comes down to taste.

Also, this: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-do-the-two-new-sonic-booms-compare/1100-6420001/

Apparently, we can use a boat and sub in this game? I think I read there was a sub in Shattered Crystal, but I wasn't aware Rise of Lyric had any vehicle sections. I'm still optimistic, but I'm not really sure what I think about this. I think vehicle sections are very easy to screw up, but hopefully, Big Red Button knows what they're doing.

After what we've seen so far, I'm not having any faith in the jokes at all.

Maybe E3 can change that, but all I can foresee is cheesy dialogue, awkward delivery, and cringe-worthy jokes.

If its great for the kiddies than good for them I guess.

.... You know...

The more I think about all the PR for this game, the more it totally contradicts what Boom is. 

SSMB: What do you mean?

Well... this is supposed to be a separate branch of Sonic which doesn't really have any ties to the past Sonic games, other than the characters are more or less as they are in the main branch.

So why then is the language being used to describe it relying so much on the previous titles/main branch in order to explain what it is? 

E.g. Lyric is the worst, most threatening villain Sonic has faced. 

But wait a moment... if it's also true that Sonic & Co have never worked together before, then more or less every adventure after Sonic 2 didn't happen. So this is their first real adventure together... so why then reference back the main storyline when it hasn't happened in this universe?

It's like how the new Star Trek movies say "We're own own movie, separate from the original one" yet at the same time, the plots of both films rely on bringing up and referencing back to the original movies. 

It's starting to lack it's own identity as being a unique starting point because the PR is constantly referencing the main line, when previous PR states that it's a self contained thing with no links.

• Thumbs Up 5

I think it's more from a gameplay standpoint. The only other game fully playable in coop was Sonic 4 episode 2, and nobody likes that game for some reason.

.... You know...

The more I think about all the PR for this game, the more it totally contradicts what Boom is. 

Well... this is supposed to be a separate branch of Sonic which doesn't really have any ties to the past Sonic games, other than the characters are more or less as they are in the main branch.

I think it's more from a gameplay standpoint. The only other game fully playable in coop was Sonic 4 episode 2, and nobody likes that game for some reason.

I agree that Co op really is the only thing it has going for it.

Pretty much everthing else in the game is just sonic unleashed but worse.

Slow sections that take up the majority of the game except this time there isnt even an excuse for sonic to be going slow and you have a different reason you can stretch so far.

And some really short really linear speed sections Except this time they are more linear and less exiting.

To me this just seems like a step back in every aspect.

I suppose this just isnt a game for fans of sonic gameplay

Hearing boats and subs in this game... kinda screams.... Sonic The Hedgehog (06) We have Speed Sections, Hubs, The Base Gameplay, Boats, Subs. It's no where near the amount of 06, and I'm talking about gameplay styles they have to code by the way, but yeah. It's nowhere near 06 but if they reveal anymore it can come close. Now of course this isn't a bad thing if they do it properly AND considering they've had since Generations.

Also I know you can have valid reasons for not liking this game. But not being like a Sonic game is a really "at the line but not crossing it" type of view to me. Because I'm sorry to point specifics, but HogFather posted how for they're not actually keeping true to what they said their goal was or something along those lines and I don't see how not? I feel (feel) that it's the expectancy of it being a Main Sonic game that keeps getting this game cross-referenced back to SegaSonic. Comparisons are fine but it seems people keep digging further than just comparisons. Like "A Sonic game is supposed to- which Boom does not-. And I'm not just trying to defend the game because I too have complaints and some worries, some of those INCLUDING not being like what I expect BUT I keep it to myself because I know in reality we were told, warned, and etc that this isn't Traditional nor Main line game. It's ITS OWN THING. 

And back to contradicting the PR- How is it contradicting just because they reference SegaSonic. (and before they can reference but we cant- I didn't mean it that way. I said comparisons are fine but eh) So how I see it is, they're still working off of a core. So it's almost impossible not to reference back to the core without making an entirely different thing. BUT that doesn't mean you can't take the core to extremely different places. Heck if you think about it, every game after Sonic 3 or Sonic Adventure 1 was extremely different from the core. This can almost be fact, but of course it's not. Because Mech's, Character's Couldn't roll anymore, Level's became linear, no longer a "platformer", didn't use momentum past heroes, Boosting to get speed rather than being good at the level layout to maintain it (YES I KNOW YOU STILL HAVE TO KNOW LEVELS IN MODERN GAMES BUT WHAT I'M SAYING IS TOP SPEED ETC) Sonic's changed so much from the core but any new titles, rather than being completely new ips, still reference back to the core. And Boom being yet another piece of the core can still be different but it will still HAVE to reference back to the core when comparing the two. 

Also saying that it's the most threatening doesn't mean and saying that sonic has every faced doesn't contradict anything as far as we know Boom Sonic has been adventuring by himself beating eggman with Tails or something. Just like Sonic 1. So to me- idk

EDIT: And it's not that I want to be like Boom's Big Defender or anything but being on both sides of the spectrum I know how each side may feel but at the same time people really, really, seem to me thy're disappointed this isn't the next Big Sonic game. This is supposed to be the first entry to New Sonic- and of course it's supposed to be big... on it's own merits. It's pretty much "What if Big Red Button was the first one to develop Sonic, how would they do it" not "Hey this is what happens when Sonic takes a new step into the hands of a new developer because Sonic is so bad off and this is their attempt at reviving him" 

What I mean is: This isn't supposed to be the big bad that makes the SegaSonic better or a new SegaSonic this is how a developer would handle Sonic by their own means if they were the first to make it.

imo

And back to contradicting the PR- How is it contradicting just because they reference SegaSonic. (and before they can reference but we cant- I didn't mean it that way. I said comparisons are fine but eh).

Hey guys, here is our new branch of this franchise you love, it's it's own contained thing which won't impact on the main series and has it's own contained history and what-have-you.

Oh by the way.... every single new announcement will be compared to main line games, and we'll use the same one liner pitches that we did in the previous titles to advertise it instead of tell you about why this series is good.

What do we know about Lyric, he's a snake and he builds robots. 

That's it.... but because we're using the whole 'he's the most terrible villain Sonic has ever faced' But this Sonic has only faced Eggman? By drawing comparisons to the main line series, you take away any strength this has to stand on it's own because it needs the main line in order to try and convince us why the game is great.

Saying Lyric is the most threatening villain ever means nothing, since in the Boom universe, Sonic has only ever faced Eggman. Tell me or show me why this villain is so good or cool. not just say "Well he's better than Black Doom, the Deadly Six, that clown from Sonic 06 and Metal Sonic!"

If this series is supposed to stand on it's own, don't compare it to the main one, let it stand on it's own merits.

EDIT: And it's not that I want to be like Boom's Big Defender or anything but being on both sides of the spectrum I know how each side may feel but at the same time people really, really, seem to me thy're disappointed this isn't the next Big Sonic game. This is supposed to be the first entry to New Sonic- and of course it's supposed to be big... on it's own merits. It's pretty much "What if Big Red Button was the first one to develop Sonic, how would they do it" not "Hey this is what happens when Sonic takes a new step into the hands of a new developer because Sonic is so bad off and this is their attempt at reviving him" 

What it comes down to is quality.

Even if you consider sonic boom a new game series entirely it would be a game series that just looks alot like other sonic games.

It would also be a worse version of those game + Coop and adding Co op will never justify saying its an entirely new sonic. If there were a sonic unleashed two adding a werechidna isnt changing the formula.

I will also add im speaking of what we see so far and that could change but you cant really use it might get better to defend a game

I'm wondering how Lyric, a snake, can control his mechanical armor.

I mean, he has zero limbs mellow.png

What it comes down to is quality.

Even if you consider sonic boom a new game series entirely it would be a game series that just looks alot like other sonic games.

It would also be a worse version of those game + Coop and adding Co op will never justify saying its an entirely new sonic. If there were a sonic unleashed two adding a werechidna isnt changing the formula.

I will also add im speaking of what we see so far and that could change but you cant really use it might get better to defend a game

But that's the thing as you just showcased you cross referenced it to other Sonic games. This is supposed to be what if Sonic didn't exist before hand. As I said it still has a core to work from that being Sonic, but comparing to each other Sonic game isn't what it's trying to do. It's like.. it still has a core to work from but just because it's working from that core doesn't mean it's trying to be exactly like that core and if it has similarities to the core that not to be avoided seeing as it's a branch from the core. (I said core as many times as they've said a new world sheesh)

Hey guys, here is our new branch of this franchise you love, it's it's own contained thing which won't impact on the main series and has it's own contained history and what-have-you.

Oh by the way.... every single new announcement will be compared to main line games, and we'll use the same one liner pitches that we did in the previous titles to advertise it instead of tell you about why this series is good.

What do we know about Lyric, he's a snake and he builds robots. 

That's it.... but because we're using the whole 'he's the most terrible villain Sonic has ever faced' But this Sonic has only faced Eggman? By drawing comparisons to the main line series, you take away any strength this has to stand on it's own because it needs the main line in order to try and convince us why the game is great.

Saying Lyric is the most threatening villain ever means nothing, since in the Boom universe, Sonic has only ever faced Eggman. Tell me or show me why this villain is so good or cool. not just say "Well he's better than Black Doom, the Deadly Six, that clown from Sonic 06 and Metal Sonic!"

If this series is supposed to stand on it's own, don't compare it to the main one, let it stand on it's own merits.

Well yeah but they still have this Core to work from so comparisons are gonna happen no matter what they try and comparing them to the main Sonic is more of like I guess extra fluff? Idk but it also somewhat has to do with them trying to keep things a surprise. It would be nice to see like a clip of lyric doing something cool but I guess they're just keeping info on lock down? I get what you're saying but it can't be avoided when it's "a new branch of the franchise." If there's a tree and one branch looks awesome but the others are just okay, it's hard to talk about that one branch without making any remarks whatsoever of the other branches. Ummm very bad analogy but oh well.

EDIT: Oh and Sonic may have faced more goons before who knows. Maybe Sonic's faced a couple people and this one is bigger than all the others. But I do indeed get your point on how they're still practically comparing it to all of the other villains. 

So why then is the language being used to describe it relying so much on the previous titles/main branch in order to explain what it is? 

Because it's just a press release to get people excited and interested? A press release doesn't have to exist in the universe. It's a spin-off, but it's only natural it would refer to the series it's spinning off from so people have a frame of reference.

• Thumbs Up 5

They worked from a core and just made it worse not different or better just worse

Put sonic Boom next to the werehogs combo and all you see are different moves and worse graphics.

Put sonic Boom speed sections next to unleashed or generations  and all you see are less detailed enviroments, less variety, less control and again crappy graphics.

And sorry if im overstating this but this is only from what we see so far so I know its not really fair and the game can improve/show us whats good about it.

But as of now thats how it is.

They worked from a core and just made it worse not different or better just worse

Put sonic Boom next to the werehogs combo and all you see are different moves and worse graphics.

Put sonic Boom speed sections next to unleashed or generations  and all you see are less detailed enviroments, less variety, less control and again crappy graphics.

And sorry if im overstating this but this is only from what we see so far so I know its not really fair and the game can improve/show us whats good about it.

But as of now thats how it is

I'm not saying whether it's good or not, I'm just saying that of course they will have to refer to, the "core", Sonic at some point in time to give people a frame or reference to look at. (If I did post whether or not Boom was good in my post(s) I didn't mean to)