Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

I fear them TELLING us he's dark is doing Lyric a huge disservice. Shadow the Hedgehog comes to mind. And seriously Dark Gaia was pretty freaking dark, hell on some levels most of the games get dark by themselves. So them pushing this on us isn't giving me good vibes. 

Or worse, he turns out to be a generically evil warlord or something who acts evil BECAUSE HE'S SO INCREDIBLY EEEEEEEEVIL! and has no personality beyond that.

• Thumbs Up 2

Being silly and evil isn't mutually exclusive. Anyone remember Ratigan from the Great Mouse Detective? The flamboyant rat man who had his minions sing a song of his greatness while dressing up in the flashiest outfit in the world?

The silly character who still unmercifully threatened to kill a child, whose drowned widows and orphans? Who in his final scene looks like this?

great-mouse-detective-basil-ratigan-big-

I just hope Lyric isn't one of those dry, evil villains who probably should be relegated to brainless monster status because he's about as interesting. I hope if he is dark as hell, he pushes it as far as an E rating can. Instead of just dryly saying, "I'm evil." Give him an air of really loving how horrible he is, "Did I do that? Oh, I'm a bad boy."

• Thumbs Up 8

I can understand the whole evil warlord thing because he's an alien. Aliens invade protagonist's world, it's pretty much a staple cliche in media.

Here's a new video for you guys to suck on(knew there was a reason I had thousands of subscriptions).

Mostly jusst what we have already seen but you can hear all the games audio.

Still too slow.

• Thumbs Up 9

Here's some new gameplay for you guys to suck on(knew there was a reason I had thousands of subscriptions)

Will edit this after ive actually watched it myself (lol)

That... actualy looks pretty good to me, obviously lacking some polish, but the combat looks decently paced to me, the speeds fine, and the gameplay looks fun overall to me, specialy if you play with a friend 

You know; I wonder if that purple level is actually the tutorial level. From the sound of some of the dialogue, it sounds like it. 

Also, I'm liking the sound of Amy in these clips. She's not pulling much of a Minnie mouse. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's a new video for you guys to suck on(knew there was a reason I had thousands of subscriptions).

So THAT'S what they're saying. Heh, Amy's voice isn't too bad there. I actually like the chatter ingame, it gives it life. - The lines could be better but progress.

• Thumbs Up 1

(Half way into the video) Hmm, so the soundtrack is mainly orchestral.... I was hoping for rock and electronic-ish music, but this sounds fine, even though I don't see myself humming these tracks tomorrow and beyond. The dialogue is charming, but I hope they balance the audio better later on.

Some of the dialogue here is pretty entertaining. But some of it sounds "OH NO REALLY I NEVER WOULD HAVE FIGURED THAT OUT?!?!?" I don't like how the talking makes the music fade out constantly, its really annoying.

Also yay Minnie Mouse is dead FINALLY.

• Thumbs Up 3

I gotta say I love how the dialogue is in this game, it's also good that Cindy isn't going full Minnie as well. 

The music for the most part sounds alright but a bit saddened that all of the songs heard in that preview were orchestral, the combat doesn't even look that bad to be honest. 

I'm really digging this game and I am looking forward to know more!

Also Knuckles made some genuinely funny lines, from what I heard. I can definitely feel a cocky, strong guy who needs a bit of time to get hold of his surroundings from his portrayal and I am okay with that.

Edited by Detective Soni
  • Thumbs Up 9

Oh yeah, that chatter is definitely gonna get annoying real fast.

At least Amy and Knuckles sound better here than in the Sega Sonic games of late. Knux doesn't sound like a Dan Green impression and Amy doesn't sound like Minnie Mouse.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, the new voice direction with amy really sounds good and I think even knuckles sounds a bit different in some lines too.

Quips can be really nice to me in games but not if the charcters dont have a huge library of things to say. We all know it will get annoying if they say the same things 5 times each level.

I cant say much about the combat. If i see that i can make a huge nicely flowing combo in this I may like it but We havent seen that.

I like how amy says keep running as is you have a choice. I like how amy says everything really.

Does sonic saying its like these track were built for me seem like foreshadowing to anyone else?

I certainly wouldn't mind if Amy used this voice in BOTH of her counterparts from now on.

Does sonic saying its like these track were built for me seem like foreshadowing to anyone else?

Could be that. Or it might be a fourth wall breaker.

• Thumbs Up 1

And see guys what did I tell ya about Amy's voice direction, all she needed was better voice direction. This is sounding a lot more like the Cindy Robinson I know and love, I'm really looking forward to seeing how Amy's role in the game turns out now!

I know how you feel but lets face it when this comes out everyone is just gonna be saying "Look how much cindy robinson improved" WHen she was just doing as she was instucted as she is doing now.

Anyway just looking at this footage again even though nothings changed it looks nicer.

Or it would if it werent so slow anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

I know how you feel but lets face it when this comes out everyone is just gonna be saying "Look how much cindy robinson improved" WHen she was just doing as she was instucted as she is doing now.

I'm gonna fight those people irl and then force them to play Virtue's Last Reward or BlazBlue while I hold a threatening load of bread to their skulls. That'll show them.

Oh sweet Arceus...just when I thought Sonic couldn't sound any lamer and Knuckles couldn't sound more idiotic...

I really like the dialogue, but I hope it isn't repeated too often in game, or at least they change the way they say their lines every so often. So we don't have to constantly hear "Rings! Omnomnom!" In every stage. >> And yay for better sounding Knux and Amy!

Anyways, so far it looks decent. The combat still seems sluggish but there must be power ups in the game that will make getting through enemies much quicker and easier. The music sounds good but sorta forgettable. I want some more catchy tunes dangit!

• Thumbs Up 5

Okay so I watched the video and I saw this guy:

40d6300dc5b1c7c7d4f2a1245a31a50b.png

and...uh...

Treasure6.jpg

...Ben?

No; that's just your average Naughty Dog robot.

Ok... having watched the whole thing... here is my main problem with the dialogue.

None of it sounds like it matches what's going on, and before someone say's you're just nitpicking, this is a complaint I raised in my review of ASRT.

Sequence at 50 seconds... Sonic breaks the rock... cues Knuckles' things line... Sonic then jumps off the platform which prompts this line... "Should have seen that coming" in a low dull tone.... how does this fit what just happened? There's no build up to it, the tone doesn't fit... it sounds really off.

"You need better minions Eggman" it sounds so lifeless... Sorry but... I'm in a fight, shouldn't this be a little more exciting?

@2:50 "Whaa Whaa...." Thank you Sonic...

But here's a really good example of how the dialogue doesn't fit. 

@3:33 "I think probably the guardian" Said the robot whose lips don't move..." Followed by "Hello kitty... nice kitty" Said the robot who turns away and walks off before the line is fully said... whose facial expressions and body language doesn't change which makes this line lose any feeling or sense that it belongs in the scene.

Also what's happened to Sonic's speed? During the chase sequence, Amy looks like she's actually running faster than Sonic? Because her legs are moving faster than Sonic, it looks wrong, it looks like the sequence is artificial and that you're not really in control, it just looks so slow, and please don't say 'oh well Amy isn't that fast,' it's a videogame, we're allowed to take some liberties, but just compare that segment to Sonic Heroes, it just looks so slow.

And....

*Sonic breaks a rock and rings come out.*

Knuckles: Hey there's things inside these things!

...Thank you Knuckles.