Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

That dialogue is going to get annoying so quickly.

I normally don't mind dialogue, but yeah. Wow.

And a few more things....

lUKvSav.png

Eggman is now safety concious, he's swapped the Dreamcast out for a fire extinguisher, and he also has an enderbeam it seems.

Did anyone else notice how Sonic collects robot parts?

And... this game has so clearly had a downgrade from how we last saw it. Just look at the section with Amy and compare it to the original trailer. Doesn't look anywhere near as good, lacks tons of visual effects and lighting which we originally saw. In fact during the Sonic enderbeam segment, quite sure entire backgrounds are missing.

I personally don't feel annoyed at all by it. At least it isn't like the enemies' banter in Crash of the Titans...

And....

*Sonic breaks a rock and rings come out.*

Knuckles: Hey there's things inside these things!

...Thank you Knuckles.

To be fair, I don't think he's saying that as if he's the only one that's noticed it, rather he's saying it because he's amused by it. As is evident by his tone of voice.

Similar to how people react if they see an amazing view with their own eyes. Someone might go "would you look at that" even though everyone else obviously already would be looking.

• Thumbs Up 9

To be fair, I don't think he's saying that as if he's the only one that's noticed it, rather he's saying it because he's amused by it.

Similar to how people react if they see an amazing view with their own eyes. Someone might go "would you look at that" even though everyone else obviously already is looking.

Yeah, I actually do this myself some times as like a sort of witty remark to create a lighter atmosphere (and I get some laughs out of it sometimes too).

And... this game has so clearly had a downgrade from how we last saw it. Just look at the section with Amy and compare it to the original trailer. Doesn't look anywhere near as good, lacks tons of visual effects and lighting which we originally saw. In fact during the Sonic enderbeam segment, quite sure entire backgrounds are missing.

Didn't Frost already this was an early build?

• Thumbs Up 1

Why would they release B-Roll footage of a build which is older than the announcement video?

I can understand giving journalists and a public demo an older build since if it does throw up a problem it'll be quicker to resolve than a lesser known/tested recent build, but B-Roll footage which is captured in house? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, the dialogue is really good...although it's a bit like Heroes in being a bit too frequent. Unlike Heroes, it's not cheesy, so that might make it more tolerable.

And Knuckles actually doesn't sound too bad himself. Here we are arguing about Knuckles sounding too much like an idiot, but his lines are actually sensible.

• Thumbs Up 6

I REALLY enjoyed this. I'm glad to know that the dialogue was pretty good and funny. Music sounded okay. Just okay. I'll have to obviously sit down and listen to all the music in the game later in November to fully give an opinion, but from what all I heard in the video, it was okay. 

Some of the things I liked hearing in video...

"Up and over!" - Sonic

"Built for speed!" - Sonic

"Rings! Nomnomnomnom!" - Sonic

"Woah... We're definitely not at the beach anymore." - Knuckles

"Lights out, buddy!" - Sonic

"Who's the man?!" - Knuckles

"They never stood a chance!" - Knuckles

And of course the conversation between Sonic and Eggman... 

Eggman: "I hate buying refurbished missiles!" 
Sonic: "Wow, impressive. You did read the instructions on that thing, right?" 
Eggman: "Yes, yes! Only had two screws leftover this time!" 

...Okay, maybe that was quite a lot of dialogue that I ended up liking quite a bit. laugh.png

• Thumbs Up 6

Wow, this actually gives me more hype for the Wii U game now. The audio and voice acting really complete it. Still a litte bit wary due to pacing, but I am guessing that this is early on in the game.

Also, the voice acting sounds great!

Amy isn't Minnie Mouse anymore, Knuckles doesn't sound as dumb as I thought he would, actually being competent enough to hissy about his strength, and Sonic...well....is Roger. But I don't mean that in a bad way. Roger seems to get better every game.

Overall, excited for more!

• Thumbs Up 3

The dialogue isn't atrocious or anything, but I feel like it'd be better if it played less often/had a chance of playing, and if its volume was adjusted a bit so that it blended better with the rest of the audio. It sticks out too much in this footage, hence why it's what everybody's discussing right now. 

• Thumbs Up 7

I've seen a few people comment on the music. 

The music will likely change. This time last year we got B-Roll of SLW, and you may remember how parts of it didn't have any music and what music was there ended up being changed.

I'm going to be completely honest here. That was perhaps the most boring footage I've seen of a Sonic game beyond Big's fishing. The pacing feels off for a slower game; nothing really feels... kinetic, you know? A slower set-up needs to have a better payoff, like how God of War would give the player a crunchier combat, or how Shadow of the Colossus built up to its big fights. In other words, the game slows down Sonic, which is fine, but there doesn't seem to be anything that takes fast platforming's place as the main event. Everything's subdued, and as such it comes off as lethargic.

As far as the dialogue, I just keep thinking of Uprising. The dialogue in that game worked because there was a subject to play off of, whereas everyone in Boom just seem to be making flippant passing statements about random things in the level. There's no center to it, and there's nothing in it that reinforces the narrative or gameplay. It's just... there.

I hate to be so negative about Sonic, seeing as I always root for gaming's underdog, but this isn't giving me much hope.

• Thumbs Up 9

Why would they release B-Roll footage of a build which is older than the announcement video?

I can understand giving journalists and a public demo an older build since if it does throw up a problem it'll be quicker to resolve than a lesser known/tested recent build, but B-Roll footage which is captured in house? 

I dunno. Why would they make a later build that looks worse than the previous one?

It's later footage than the reveal trailer, and it's mostly gotten worse since then.

I really dislike when people say "oh but it's an early build!", as though it's some kind of excuse or because we should see how things change. Considering the game is out in November and we've already seen a visual downgrade, we can make a very fair (even if not 100% accurate) judgement. Besides, if a game is being showcased it's there for is to form opinions on.

• Thumbs Up 7

To me, I think Knuckles sounds kinda like a stoner than full-on idiot.

I don't particularly mind it being a different universe.

Frost didn't just say it was an early build, he said the whole thing is still in Alpha Code.

• Thumbs Up 1

I dunno. Why would they make a later build that looks worse than the previous one?

Because that was an early build when they hadn't finalised the graphics. Clearly they weren't able to get the game running as well as it should with those graphics.

Pretty sure the audio will be fixed in the final game, otherwise it's going to get really annoying every time the music goes soft when a character speaks a line. It's jarring to say the least.

• Thumbs Up 1

actualy, we don't know when this demo build was made, fact is that for all we know its anywhere between 1-3 months old, because I imagine it would take several weeks to separate the levels and make them work as a demo, and they needed it finished at least several days if not weeks before these playthroughs.

Fact is that we don't know how long ago this build was current, unless Frost tells us, and the in the time it took to put this demo together we have no idea how much they have done since then

best thing to do is WAIT Till Release, or at least the reviews, of which at least one will come from here, since we have SEVERAL reviewers here on site

We just need to wait and see

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly I think the game, grapically is going to look much better when they put all the lightning and shaders and shit in, but even if it looks better visually, it won't improve on what we've seen gameplay wise unless they're seriously putting some polish on this game before launch. Hell they'll have to, I'm not paying retail for a buggy, janky piece of shit, Jak successor or not.

• Thumbs Up 1