Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

It's been a thing for so long that some people are getting bored of the games including myself. That's mainly the reason why I was looking forward to this.

And after Boom drops it's gonna continue to be a thing because no one's gonna like the game

This is how Sega/Sonic Team operate

Oh please, I don't think anything can be that bad.

Atleast knack managed to pull together trailers with good graphics. All this had is sonic.

I hate to say this but right now my hope for this game is actually coming from how shitty it looks.

It justhas me saying this has got to be alpha but I cant believe that iether because that is something you HAVE to put in a gameplay video this early.

Point is right now my hope is coming from the fact that I cant believe its this bad. If nothing else you have to admit thats a bad sign

And after Boom drops it's gonna continue to be a thing because no one's gonna like the game

This is how Sega/Sonic Team operate

Yeah, I guess you could be right about that...

But I think they should still give playable characters another chance anyway and Boom shouldn't 100% determine wether or not we should have them. :)

Man, Stephen's got some 'splainin' to do.

He's gotta clear the air about the state of the game, this is VERY worrying that the game looks worse now than it did at the unveiling.

I hope Hog is right and what we saw here is from an actual older build and the unveiling build is more recent, which makes no sense in a sense, but eh, we can only hope.

He's gotta clear the air about the state of the game, this is VERY worrying that the game looks worse now than it did at the unveiling.

I hope Hog is right and what we saw here is from an actual older build and the unveiling build is more recent, which makes no sense in a sense, but eh, we can only hope.

He usually comes around when the forums are this BOOMING with activity.

But if he is around I will say this right now if he cant clearly state that this is a very early version of the game. and that the graphics specifically are going to get have already been greatly improved.

Well im just sorry he has to put his name behind it.

Does anyone know whether this will be a full $60?

• Thumbs Up 1

Believe me, that is most definitely not the case. It would make one lick of sense. Plus, remember this?

14192683559_9a25ec49c3_o.png

That very specific disclaimer, and the fact that the game was revealed as early as February, have proven to be very telling.

He already said the version we've been seeing is early, actually.

In other news, I wanted to see the Sega Forums' reactions to this (it's like friggin satire) but for some reason, my computer is detecting malware on the second page.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just find it amazing that the E3 footage is still an alpha.

Can a game go from alpha to finished in the span of only 5 months?

I guess it would make sense... the graphic touchup is secondary to making sure everything works.

Pretty sure these are what you are after 

I'm obviously disappointed that you're not feeling as positive as you previously were, but I just hope you can hold judgement until you see more about the game in the weeks and months ahead. That's not to say that you'll change your mind at all, but please keep in mind that the footage seen and the E3 demo maybe represent 15-20 mins of the game, if that. And this is not a game where you can get a full picture of from what you have been seeing so far. 

Of course, if you are the kind of person who loves boost gameplay or full-on speed all the time, then this probably won't be your cup of tea. And nothing I say is going to change that. This is just simply a different kind of experience. 

The purpose of the E3 demo is to purely and clearly show elements of this game that are different from past Sonic titles, as well as be easy enough for everyone to get through. The good side of this is that folks who might not have been interested in Sonic before may have some interest now based upon what they are seeing. The bad side is that hardcore Sonic fans may see these new elements in these level sections and extrapolate that the rest of the level(s) must be similar, and become, like you, less optimistic. It's not an ideal situation, that's for sure, but it was definitely crucial for us to show the new direction of the game, so that's what we are trying to do.

Anyway, I'm rambling on a bit too much here. The point that I am trying to make, though, is that I hope that everyone doesn't take a bit of footage and a single game demo and base everything upon them. We still have a ways until launch and we still have a lot to show. 

frostman007, on 02 Jun 2014 - 3:45 PM, said:Trying not to comment on much right now, since it always takes time for stuff to sink in and I want people to have some time with the footage and screens before I try to jump in and answer questions, etc. I did want to say, though, that speed sections are not just isolated to roads that connect hubs to levels. There are also speed sections and roads, etc. within levels and hubs. Each of the levels that you are seeing footage from has speed sections in them. We just didn't show them because they aren't going to be at E3.

The E3 demo covers the same areas that you have seen footage of and was chosen to clearly represent what the differences are in Sonic Boom versus a normal "Sonic" title developed by Sonic Team. The levels chosen also feature more of a dark look with very little green or natural colors because, again, we wanted to clearly show some of the differences in the game. That's not to say that we don't have greenery, water, etc. and other more-natural things. But I think that is what people generally expect, so we chose to show something different.

The last thing I wanted is for people who are generally not that familiar to Sonic to look at the E3 demo and just say it looks the same... I don't get how this is different. So, we erred on the side on the side of making sure everything looked different than normal. The sections chosen, such as the specific parts of the levels, the boss fight, the speed section were all chosen to represent, again, clear differences between this game and the normal branch of Sonic... and also are tuned to make sure everyone gets through them all. They do not represent final challenge, etc. that you will see in the final game.

Anyway, enough with my talking... I just wanted to clear up some things. I'll let you all get back to your discussions and I look forward to popping back in after E3 to see how things have settled.

As always, thanks for your support and for sharing your opinions of the games.

That was a whole lota nothin'.

He's hesitant to explain WHY it looks so bad. It's not so much the combat or the things it does different, it's more the technical aspect that concerns so many, especially when compared to what we saw in the unveiling. The UNVEILING!

In other news, I wanted to see the Sega Forums' reactions to this (it's like friggin satire) but for some reason, my computer is detecting malware on the second page.

Yes i know he has said that but as you have noticed no one is really buying it which is why im saying it would benefit him to say very clearly that the game is looking mcuh better than this but all he has is its not done.

Well anyway I sound to negative the game has already secured over a millions views on each of their vids so maybe they are waiting till E3 to hit us with some graphics that make you look at crysis 2 and ask if it were made in 1980. Or atleast something that doesnt look like shit.

I will also state I know NOTHING about PR or there plans but I can say exactly what would make me say I HAVE to play this and bad graphics, slow gameplay and shallow combat isnt it.

But yeah ima try to stay on the graphics cause that the one thing cant be affected taste or opinions. Right now the graphics are below average and that something noone can deny.

I guess it would make sense... the graphic touchup is secondary to making sure everything works.

See, what I'm thinking is that every build shown off, is yes, early, but these builds can be early from a completely different point. What we've seen up to this point could be from mid-2013 for all we know, and the current build could be near-finished, which this isn't. There's probably a huge gap between what we've seen and what will come, if I had to guess.

Yes i know he has said that but as you have noticed no one is really buying it

You aren't saying he's lying, are you?

which is why im saying it would benefit him to say very clearly that the game is looking much better than this but all he has is its not done.

Well again, I think in terms of actual game design, graphics are far lower on the spectrum of importance. Either way I still think everything except for the sky sanctuary-esque speed section looks fine right now.

And yes, I know, a lot of it looks generic, and I don't want to set myself out to defend something that, I guess, is an objective flaw. But if there's one thing I've learned in the many years I've been in this community, is that if I find it fun and engaging with a decent atmosphere, then it's good enough for me. I'll have to get my hands on the game for a good amount of time to make that judgement.

So much of this post. Many people forget that a lot of the least original Sonic games are the best ones. Name one thing that Generations did different from the dark-age Sonic games other than "not suck" and that game is fantastic!

• Thumbs Up 2

So much of this post. Many people forget that a lot of the least original Sonic games are the best ones. Name one thing that Generations did different from the dark-age Sonic games other than "not suck" and that game is fantastic!

Sonic-only, different gameplay style, full 2D levels, stuff like that

I disagree emphatically...

Man, its been a while since I posted here; feels great :D!

Anyway, in regards to Sonic Boom Wii U....it just looks really underwhelming :(.

I was so hyped up for this when it was unvield and yet....it just looks so half-hearted X(; the visuals look really dull, the music....isn't even there, the gameplay really looks generic and a massive step down from past Sonics (heck, its step down from Jak and Daxter X(; in that one hit kills foes, but here...you have to what looks like button mash to kill them) :(. The dialog is just.....I enjoyed it when Sonic and Company talked within levels in Sonic Heroes but here....its just really, REALLY annoying ("Rings NOM NOM NOM"....."There are things inside these things"....really Sega?).

I feel so bad too, as I was really looking foward to this and honestly expected much more out of this (all that talent from huge Sony studios.....), but...the game is still a long ways off and it still has the potential to be a great (or at least good game).

At least the game looks to control well, the characters animations (or at least Sonics and Amys) look fluid like the Jak games, and that some of the lines are funny (the ones with Eggman are nice :)).

• Thumbs Up 1

But it's just an early/beta/alpha version!

The important thing here is how it's changed from the initial reveal. That's an absolutely massive indication of what's happened. Why else would the graphics take such a turn for the worse if not because they had to be compromised in order to make the game run well? (And on that particular note, GameXplain mentioned that the game suffers from framerate issues at the mo, which with more likely to be fixed up that the visuals themselves) BRB will be wrapping up development in a matter of months now. What we're seeing in this new footage is closer to the final build than whatever was used to take the footage back in February. And I'd also like to say that using the terms alpha and beta don't count for a lot when we don't know an awful lot about the games development history and without a final build to compare it to.

• Thumbs Up 1

Let me say this img going to play this game and im gonna love it.

But me or you liking it doesnt make the graphics less ugly,it doesnt make the combat less dull and it doesnt make it any more like what anyone thinks when they imagine a sonic game.

There are tons of better games out there and while I can buy this just cause its got sonics face on it im not exactly happy to have my favourite franchise be insulted with mediocre game.

Yes it looks playable and controls work but that isnt exactly going to make people say YOU HAVE TO PLAY THIS.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is I understand that this game won't appeal to most fans for the aformentioned reasons, and it probably does have a host of things to iron out, but I don't see a reason to be so doom and gloom about Boom.

...oh my gosh. I'm going to make that my campaign.

DOOM AND GLOOM ABOUT BOOM, DETAILS AT 11!

• Thumbs Up 3

I guess what I'm trying to get at is I understand that this game won't appeal to most fans for the aformentioned reasons, and it probably does have a host of things to iron out, but I don't see a reason to be so doom and gloom about Boom.

The speed sections look shallower than they ever were in the boost games, the combat looks like an old button masher, and what little platforming we've seen has been forgettable. I think "doing literally nothing well" is pretty good reason to be down on it.
  • Thumbs Up 2

DOOM GLOOM BOOM

Its because it has nothing to do with being a sonic fan.

It just doesnt look like a impressive game period.

The only thing this has to do with being a sonic fan is the we have had better quality games and this is a step down in quality.

Yes its a game,it works the controls work is it wrong to ask for more?

Anyway if you cant see why people would not be happy about ps2 graphics then i dont know how to explain it to you.

Anyway if you cant see why people would not be happy about ps2 graphics then i dont know how to explain it to you.

So I'm looking at the game and I'm not seeing how it objectively looks like it came from the mid-2000s in terms of technical fidelity. It isn't exactly compelling, but I don't see what's so offensive about the visuals.

They look pretty standard.

And I don't feel the need to respond to the rest of your post because I feel as if you missed the point.

The speed sections look shallower than they ever were in the boost games, the combat looks like an old button masher, and what little platforming we've seen has been forgettable. I think "doing literally nothing well" is pretty good reason to be down on it.

That would be a good reason to be disappointed, yeah.

But the negativity I've seen lately is a bit overboard for my tastes. It's almost like Sonic 4:E2 all over again.

• Thumbs Up 5

Being unoriginal is not inherently good (and, in fact, has a negative connotation for a reason) any more than being wildly inventive is inherently good. There are so many other factors that went into making something like Sonic 1 or Generations a success that assigning causation to one of the negative points shared between them is jumping the gun at the very least. You might as well say that the quality of a Sonic game depends on how blue Sonic is colored.

• Thumbs Up 1