Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

You might as well say that the quality of a Sonic game depends on how blue Sonic is colored.

You mean it's not?

The Following Responses Are Equally Valid:

- Man, here I thought the green eyes were the problem.

- So I should retract my formal letter asking to change Sonic's arms from being blue to flesh-colored?

That would be a good reason to be disappointed, yeah.

But the negativity I've seen lately is a bit overboard for my tastes. It's almost like Sonic 4:E2 all over again.

That's probably a fair comparison, as both seem relentlessly dull and only barely competent.

Thinking about it, everything this game seems to be doing, was done better in Unleashed. And I don't even like Unleashed, so why would I want this?

You mean it's not?

Man, here I thought the green eyes were the problem.

They are. Didn't you notice that 3.156 pixels in his eyes are more saturated in Boom? This game was doomed from the start.

• Thumbs Up 2

DOOM AND GLOOM ABOUT BOOM

IN DEXTER'S LAAAAAAAAB!

...Well okay it was "Doom and gloom while things go boom" but whatever.

• Thumbs Up 6

Why so much focus on slowing down in a Sonic game and lean toward combat anyway? Mind you, I didn't hate The Werehog, but in a series about speed-based platforming, I really don't see the appeal or thought train in blending combat and platforming together, especially when the combat itself is already looking to be a real pace breaker, with not much variation in attacks. I'm not telling BRB how to do their jobs, but adding all these gameplay elements to a series like this is why I couldn't stand the drastically different alternate play styles in the Sonic Adventure games.

I will say that I'm digging the sharp dialogue, and while the game doesn't look like it's taking advantage of The Wii U's hardware enough, is it just me or is it looking significantly better than the last slew of info we got a week back?

While my impressions are a little more positive, in terms of speed sections, this game still isn't doing the best job selling itself on me anymore. I don't think it's going to necessarily turn out to be a shitty game, but please, enough with the "this is a different kind of Sonic game!" rebuttal to criticism. It's still billing itself as a Sonic game. If I want to play a Jak and Daxter title, I'll go and play a fucking Jak and Daxter title.

• Thumbs Up 3

Being unoriginal is not inherently good (and, in fact, has a negative connotation for a reason) any more than being wildly inventive is inherently good. There are so many other factors that went into making something like Sonic 1 or Generations a success that assigning causation to one of the negative points shared between them is jumping the gun at the very least. You might as well say that the quality of a Sonic game depends on how blue Sonic is colored.

My point was only addressing the complaints of it being generic, and not even that generic was good, it was that it determines nothing, nothing about the game.

My point was only addressing the complaints of it being generic, and not even that generic was good, it was that it determines nothing, nothing about the game.

But it does. It determines that it appears generic, uninviting, uncreative. The game will have a tougher time drawing people in if it appears they can get the experience better elsewhere. That's about as rudimentary a flaw as you can have in a big market like the video game industry. If your only draw is literally just Sonic's name, something's gone wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think it's going to necessarily turn out to be a shitty game, but please, enough with the "this is a different kind of Sonic game!" rebuttal to criticism. It's still billing itself as a Sonic game. If I want to play a Jak and Daxter title, I'll go and play a fucking Jak and Daxter title.

I fully agree with this statement. Boom is different enough from the Sonic series as we know it that I really don't think that's much point in it even being a Sonic game, save for the speed sections which, while I think they look decent, have been shoehorned in to add an element of Sonic to the otherwise completely foreign gameplay. It's too different.
  • Thumbs Up 3

*sonicboomdeedee.gif*

I regret absolutely nothing.

Now if you just had DeeDee pressing this instead...

Big-Red-Button-Entertainment-Logo.png

• Thumbs Up 4

Now if you just had DeeDee pressing this instead...

Big-Red-Button-Entertainment-Logo.png

But she's already pressing a Big Red Button!  D:

tumblr_n6vxab9haw1s7gq4io1_250.gif

I regret absolutely nothing.

....I'm so done, you win. Good night everyone.

Oh yea, game footage....yea, its kind of boring me honestly; its not bad on a technical level, but it doesn't really look interesting either. In other words, BRB dun goofed.

Well, I suppose they will improve by the time the game out... if not holy shit this looks very mediocre.

So I'm looking at the game and I'm not seeing how it objectively looks like it came from the mid-2000s in terms of technical fidelity. It isn't exactly compelling, but I don't see what's so offensive about the visuals.

They look pretty standard.

And I don't feel the need to respond to the rest of your post because I feel as if you missed the point.

I definently exagerated the graphics but it still looks below standard and doesnt even match unleased generation or lost world. Its not going to ruin my eyes but its not good and im not going to give it point for not being absolutley terrible and not being that much worse than everything elsee on the wiiU

Anyway if you cant see it theres no point arguing over it but I will say im interested in what your point was mind restating in words a simpleton such as I can understand.

Really agree with DIO said it just looks like a lower quality coop version of unleashed the onlything good I can say is atleast i get my werehog to have a sonic skin. I did actually enjoy unleashed but why should I be happy about a worse version of it 5 years later.

Yeah I give up.

Gonna skip this one until it's like 10 bucks at the bargin bin. I have never been this disiniterested in a Sonic game before release, like....

It's literally a first for me. I dont think it's activley awful but I struggle to name a good thing from that entire showcase.

It could be okay but I sure as hell aint paying full price for it

• Thumbs Up 1

OMG. Before I get to the positive, I have to say this. You know that kind of boring, forgettable music that plays on Ben 10, Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures, Cartoon Network Punchtime games....Sonic Boom screams of it. Badly. Chronicles' soundtrack is bad, but Boom's soundtrack will join Chronicles nice and easy in this department.

Lost World, while very mediocre had that Windy Hill track and several others that are we can remember for years to come. Even Sonic '06 to THIS day we can remember some tracks in it without playing it for years.

I'm so disappointed because music in Sonic games were never this terrible. Okay, there's Chronicles but funny enough I still remember how that Green Hill Zone BGM plays in that game. And after playing Ben 10 and other games with this type of music, I know for sure I will not remember any music played in Boom. So far from the video anyway.

Don't know what to say about the graphics really. I don't know whether I'm shocked or I'm okay with it. This is because I played these type of games before and I got used to them. And it looks better than Sonic 06---that's not saying much isn't it?

On the other hand, whatever I said about Cindy Robinson and how she is the worst VA for Amy the series has ever gotten? I'm taking that back. Sure from Free Riders to Generations (LW was tolerable) her voice was so freaking high, it doesn't suit her, and I'm tired of my friends while playing Generations and Free Riders saying "Oh God, turn off Amy's voice". It hurts me as an Amy fan. It's like SEGA deliberately want people to hate Amy or something.

If there is one thing I like about Boom, is how Boom transformed Amy completely (although the 3DS version is questionable) and I was extremely surprised on how well Cindy did for Amy here. It's like a complete 180 here...and forgive me, but I loving this voice more than I ever did with Lisa Ortiz. I beg of SEGA to keep this voice direction for Amy in future games including the main series. Don't go back to that squeaky Minnie Mouse one please

• Thumbs Up 1

dont think it's activley awful but I struggle to name a good thing from that entire showcase.

Its not sonic 06smile.png

Yeah i honestly just feel bad for frost right now.

"At least this serial killer is not hitler"

It was a joke as I said before sonic boom is just a crappy unleashed clone with co op.

But I do rather a killer than hitler

Its not sonic 06smile.png

Yeah i honestly just feel bad for frost right now.

At least Sonic '06 had a good soundtrack. This one, does not.

As others said, I'll wait for a price drop before getting this game. I may just even rent it. I'm more interested with the TV series, then these games.

"At least this serial killer is not hitler"

I saw the word Hitler and was disappointed upon reading the entire post that it wasn't an example of Godwin's Law. Oh well, I'm sure someone'll compare this game to Nazis at some point. I shall wait with bated breath. Don't let me down, SSMB. That's sarcasm, please don't do it.

In all seriousness, my only major concern is the music at the moment. There were some bits (particularly in the speed level) that weren't bad, but everything else didn't sound too interesting. Actually, have we heard anything about composers at all yet?

• Thumbs Up 4

OMG. Before I get to the positive, I have to say this. You know that kind of boring, forgettable music that plays on Ben 10, Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures, Cartoon Network Punchtime games....Sonic Boom screams of it. Badly. Chronicles' soundtrack is bad, but Boom's soundtrack will join Chronicles nice and easy in this department.

This is pretty depressing all around...

Did something happen? Was new footage released while I was gone? I'm seeing a lot of negativity in this thread. And those particular bits on the music really worries me.