Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

I think both versions look pretty good, but I am a bit concerned with the pacing in the Wii U version. I mean, the combat looks fun and all, but it seems waaaay too frequent and that might turn a few people off. However, the characterisation sounds really good, I laughed at "RINGS! NOMNOMNOMNOMNOM".

The 3DS version looks really cool. A Metroidvania esque Sonic game? Yus please.

• Thumbs Up 1

NO WAI, You mean this isn't a spin off? You're blowing my mind man ohmy.png

I know right, its almost like this isn't a Sonic game, but a derivative of it.

Real talk though, I seriously can't figure out why people were expecting something along the lines of a mainline Sonic game, when we were told from the very beginning that this isn't a mainline Sonic game. If the gameplay itself doesn't appeal to you, then fine, but god..getting upset over something we were told months in advance is lol to me.

Gameplay looks alright, but nothing really special. I really want to try the combat for myself being a fan of the likes of Ratchet and Clank and all, so I'll keep a close eye, still not really wowed though.

A spin-off should still have the defining things of the main franchise, or else why make it a spin-off to that series?

For what it's worth, I was also disappointed with Metal Gear Rising, because stealth was bad.

The gameplay appears to revolve too much on this stupid enerbeam mechanic. Also, Amy a damsel in distress on the 3DS version, just when we f---ing thought they FIXED Amy and made her a more interesting character who can actually bring something good to the game. Just so they can shoehorn their crappy new scrappy character into the game.

After reading comments in this topic, though, I agree. The villain Lyric KINDA looks cool... but he doesn't look like a Sonic character. At least Marine expy Sticks looks like a Sonic character.

So, Amy's been kidnapped in the 3DS version. Wonder if this'll work like Knuckles' kidnapping in Chronicles and she'll become playable mid-game.

It fucking better goddamn this has picked a nerve with me.

At the end of the day, I don't care whether or not combat was promised, how fast it is, etc. The problem is that these games don't look fun, in any regard. Whether or not it's a good Sonic game, it's shaping up to be a disappointing game on the whole.

Unless BRB turns this around, they've lost my purchase, at least.

• Thumbs Up 2

I was expecting a good-looking game.

Good for you, that wasnt really my point but hey, if that's how you feel more power to you.

Basically what Omega said, I have to ask again, did people really expect something vastly diffrent then what was shown?

I think when people heard "combat focused game" they expected combat that actually looked fun or like. Good.

It is possible for combat to be rewarding and exhilarating and not feel like padding between point A to point B. You'd think a combat-focused game would actually do that.

• Thumbs Up 2

A spin-off should still have the defining things of the main franchise, or else why make it a spin-off to that series?

For what it's worth, I was also disappointed with Metal Gear Rising, because stealth was bad.

The main series barely has anything that defines it beyond the characters themselves, so I fail to see how this matters in this context.

At this point, it's clear that these games (or at least the one for the Wii U) were not intended to be Sonic games at first

• Thumbs Up 2

Basically what Omega said, I have to ask again, did people really expect something vastly diffrent then what was shown? I was expecting basically what I got. A JD esque platforming game with Sonic elements, I guess others where expecting some more Sonic stuff but yeah, im just not all that shocked by what we seen. It's basically everything I kinda guessed it would be.

Well yeah, I was expecting this from the get-go, but I can see why other people had a teensy bit of hope for something more akin to what they were looking for. I'm not shocked at all, and yeah the game doesn't look bad to say. Just not very interesting to me.

I'm just sort of lost on why they thought out of all places to do a return to more J&D gameplay, why did they choose Sonic. Of course, the only real reason beside tv show tie-ins is moolah, cold hard cash, da money, kaching, dinero, blingity bling bling ringity bling.

The game looks unimpressive, but not horrible. It just looks sort of dull for a Sonic game, but I hope that this improves as the game's development moves on.

The gameplay appears to revolve too much on this stupid enerbeam mechanic. Also, Amy a damsel in distress on the 3DS version, just when we f---ing thought they FIXED Amy and made her a more interesting character who can actually bring something good to the game. Just so they can shoehorn their crappy new scrappy character into the game.

After reading comments in this topic, though, I agree. The villain Lyric KINDA looks cool... but he doesn't look like a Sonic character. At least Marine expy Sticks looks like a Sonic character.

We haven't had many snakes as Sonic characters now have we? It's not like we have much to compare him to other than Vector. 

At this point, it's clear that these games (or at least the one for the Wii U) were not intended to be Sonic games at first

Based on what?

And don't say "because it's different" because that isn't really evidence of anything, especially when we know Boom is an entirely different continuity with a different demographic that's trying to move the series in another direction. 

• Thumbs Up 1

That's why I said I'm holding out on saying, well... anything.

I will say though, if the controls and gameplay are good when we see more at E3 [i'm expecting playthrough videos from the show floor, as well as during the trailer] then I'm fine with it. But as I said before, 3DS version looks like Subspace Emisarry from SSBB. WiiU version looks like a reversed Unleashed.

It looks like a budget PS2 era platformer.

I was trying to think of the best way to put it, and I think you've hit the nail on the head.

This looks like a game that should've come out about ten years ago.

If anything, I think all enemies take too many hits to kill which slows down the pace of the game expodentially. I like how expressive the moves are for this game, and I'm sure I'd have fun if each enemy only died in two hits. Sonic seems to have very fast acceleration, but his top speed is simply disappointing. 

There's no smooth transition between movement and combat, and while enemies have to put up a fight, it shouldn't come as a sacrifice for what the series is known for. The werehog took forever to kill anything and killed any sense of movement in those levels. 

So those areas are what I feel this game is lacking in so far, top speed and enemy strength. Change that up and this would be a better Sonic game if a little clunky. 

in regards to the lengthy platforming section without any enemies or items or...well...anything really...I'm pretty sure enimies will feature in the final build, there are several sections that look specifically placed to hold enemies. It could also be an early level designed to give players a grasp on the controls...

I'm actually liking the look of the game, it's not your regular sonic title but that's fine. I can see why a lot of people are annoyed but I'm feeling pretty optimistic, I'm loving the Jak and Daxteryness of it all.

*watching this now*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrOUSgBkVzM

Oh so thats where all the colour and the enemies went, they're in the 3DS version.

*video ends*

Allright.... everything I just said about the Wii U version.... make it the opposite.

3DS version looks fantastic from that footage. Levels are colourful, there's plenty of action which is varied, they have remembered to include enemies and things to do.

The stages look fun and engaging, it feels like you're actually required to do something when playing the stage. It looks like it runs a lot smoother than the Wii U version

However.... at the same time, it looks similar in vain to what Colours 3DS and Lost World 3DS trailers have been, so do I just think it looks so great because the Wii U version looks so terrible?

Oh.... the whole Amy being, I don't particularly mind... to a point, so long as the reason makes sense since Amy is not a weak distress character and hasn't been for decades.

• Thumbs Up 3

The main series barely has anything that defines it beyond the characters themselves, so I fail to see how this matters in this context.

Speed? Going by people's comments, the combat is slow, which goes against Sonic's most iconic feature.

It sickens me that I'm going to buy these games anyway because it's Sonic, so I just really hope they improve this and make the "adventure" gameplay faster and the combat less generic.  I mean if you can't even make it LOOK fun and fluid in a press video what the hell are you doing.

• Thumbs Up 2

I have no idea what to think.

On one hand I like brawling and I really like co-op games. I'm genuinely interested in trying this out.

On the other hand, while the gameplay itself doesn't look bad or anything, the speed segments seem like they were just added "because it's Sonic." Pacing issues are a real concern, and they've been a problem in a ton of Sonic games already. It doesn't look like it will play much at all like a Sonic game, but then again I didn't expect it to...

I am very confused :c

• Thumbs Up 3

I just... wow. I was hoping that this game would be a return to the Adventure kind of gameplay (so 3D platforming with more focus on a story.) Instead we get a subpar Jak & Daxter game with Werehog gameplay of all things.

The platforming was either 2D or quickstep 3D and the "adventure segments" look far too slow and dull to be in a Sonic game.

The 3DS version looks a bit better though as at least it LOOKS like a Sonic game.

Speed? Going by people's comments, the combat is slow, which goes against Sonic's most iconic feature.

Well there are speed sections. I will agree though that the pacing of the adventure levels could be tweaked though, not to breakneck speed levels, but a lot faster what we've been given.