Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

Well, Sonic CD & Sonic Generations had time travel.

That's 2 to 1, right?

CD never really had complicated uses of it. So you have me there. But Generations is debatable because it was actually set outside of time and space. So it wasn't really time travel.

I guess you could say Adventure as well but they were more of visions provided by Tikal to tell the character what the history behind Chaos was.

And who wants to bet Amy and ancestor Sonic really hit it off... which prompts Sonic to get jealous?

You've been on a streak of getting things right today. So you've now just jinxed it.

You monster.

Ok theres way too much for me to post.

But Sega just took a dump in the press vault, tons of stuff got added. Nothing amazingly new, but one or two interesting items.

Right, sorry about posting the 3DS trailer in here earlier. Forgot we split the topic in my excitement.

Anyway, wonderful trailer! Hoping they don't mess the whole time travel thing up like in '06. I do wonder if Sonic did have some sort of ancient ancestor that sealed away Lyric a millennium ago or if it was just the time travel thing.

Sonic's silent pose of pointing made me laugh, it's such a charming animation. 

I don't know how the story is going to turn out, but Lyric looks to be a formidable and threatening villain, and I have no problem with exploring a Sonic backstory, since this is an alternate continuity and it wouldn't feel as redundant. The voice acting is looking pretty damn stellar too, and I'm absolutely loving Cindy Robinson and Travis W's new takes on Amy and Knuckles.

This really didn't do much to change my mind about the gameplay as of right now, but I can safely say the writing will be one of the best aspects of it. 

And also, anyone know the song that's playing in the background? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok theres way too much for me to post.

But Sega just took a dump in the press vault, tons of stuff got added. Nothing amazingly new, but one or two interesting items.

It's all the same stuff in the Nintendo Press Vault. Username: Nintendo & Password: E32014

I swear i've seen that face somewhere before but I can't put my finger on it.

You're probably remembering the expressions from SA2:

lGzJDpX.png

trt4cu2.png

BRB is so dedicated to bring to bring back old school Sonic elements along with new ones that they went back to Dreamcast graphics

• Thumbs Up 6

SEGA loooooooooves them some time traveling plots. CD, Generations, 06, now Boom.

Loves them.

Even Tails' got a bit of edge here, just look at his expression

Bd2Olh.gif

"Who ordered the whoop-ass with a side of arson!?"

I'm actually kinda curious about what he's throwing. Most likely small explosives.

Anyway, it seems Tails might be at least slightly more of a ranged fighter.

Tails looks really fun to use. If I recall correctly, he's meant to have grenades in the 3DS version? That's probably what the are here.

It's nice to see that they are varying the combat.

I thought the narration in the first half of the trailer was pretty funny. Actually made me laugh, which is more than what I can say for current SegaSonic attempting humor.

But if anything, I'm solely interested in this for the narrative. If I can play through Heroes, ShTH, and Sonic 06 as monotonous as they were, I can stomach through this.

• Thumbs Up 3

Even Tails' got a bit of edge here, just look at his expression

Bd2Olh.gif

"Who ordered the whoop-ass with a side of arson!?"

I love the old cartoon arm wind-up.

• Thumbs Up 1

The character animations have so much character and charm into them, it's no surprise considering a guy who worked on various Disney and Pixar films is involved.

So far, the characterisation and the story are really promising.

oh god

ooh goood

I can only imagine if there was a modern remake of Good, Bad and the Ugly it'd all be about the backstory of the Man with no Name and his name because heaven forbid we have a main character without the need of a stupid origin

why do their faces look so baby-butter face

why is lyric so generic

why are the robots so generic

why does this exist and why is it not being mocked everywhere

Because it's an alternate universe?

'Generic' is kind of becoming a generic word to use. Heheh. See what I did there?

I'm going to be totally honest here; I like what I saw. The gameplay still irks me a bit, but the thought of having a story with depth again and good characterisation makes me very happy. Lyric looks and sounds pretty cool, and I'm curious about what he will do in the game.

Now just to wait for the Gamespot stream to begin, which is here by the way:

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/gamespot-stage-1-2014/

Boom will be shown at 4:40 PST, which is just under an hour away.

why does this exist and why is it not being mocked everywhere

Apparently it has values that people see fit to enjoy or be positively enthused by. Quite a shock to some folks, ain't it?

Apparently it has values that people see fit to enjoy or be positively enthused by. Quite a shock to some folks, ain't it?

Yes. It is quite a shock that people still tolerate games like this.

(Please don't take this seriously. The game just looks mediocre as hell and no different from an other games based on a kids TV show)

Don't know why people should mock it. There are people out there who like Sonic 06, and I'm perfectly fine with that. They have every right to enjoy the game, even if it is bad. Who knows, Boom might not even be bad. It might be bad, but it's not really a given.

Considering they've mentioned time travel, I'm thinking this won't be an origin story, but more...well...'06 Shadow's story. Sonic and co wake up Lyric, Lyric has beef with him due to things he hasn't done "yet", eventually Sonic travels back in time and seals Lyric in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes. It is quite a shock that people still tolerate games like this.

Toleration=/= holding off from jumping the gun. Pray tell, what exactly do you mean by "games like this" when you don't even know what the final product is?

Seriously, why not just let both sides be?

I wish both sides of the argument would just accept each other's preferences and move on. You're all perfectly entitled to be ecstatic over it or think it's shit, and while I'm not to thrilled over the game, I don't begrudge any optimist over it.

Really, can't we all just get along instead of dismissing that someone is wrong for liking or hating it left and right?

• Thumbs Up 8

I wish both sides of the argument would just accept each other's preferences and move on. You're all perfectly entitled to be ecstatic over it or think it's shit, and while I'm not to thrilled over the game, I don't begrudge any optimist over it.

Really, can't we all just get along instead of dismissing that someone is wrong for liking or hating it left and right?

I think that's probably the best idea.

Anyway, Sonic Boom is up on Gamespot in 40 minutes!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm... the narrator made me cringe a bit, but I liked the Sonic-Lyric exchange. Are they trying to make Sonic a bit more like Finn the Human in terms of brashness and odd humour?

As for the game; I'd be interested solely to play as Amy and smash things around with hammers. XD