Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

Hopefully some of those aren't in-game dialogue DX like "Best hammer strike, here!" or "I think the processor is running on the crystals!" Yuck. But of course they're probably not. Also yeah Now I can see why Knuckles hit the gym. He wanted to look like his voice actor

I have a prediction: Sonic Boom Amiibos will be released that can be used in the game. They did say toys and NFC functionality...

So, that Gamespot footage.

I'm seeing good stuff, but hearing a bit of... how do I put this... pandering more to newer fans than the hardcore.

Seeing the gameplay - yes it is slow, but not as slow as some of these comments I've seen make it out to be. Combat looks like it has at least two buttons to be using [three if you count jump combos], but I'm guessing most would just mash the main button. Can't quite tell how good the combat feels without getting some experience behind it though. And well, I'll have to watch the footage again in the morning to get the most from it. Watching footage while half-asleep probably isn't for the best.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just watched the livestream. I think my hype has been reignited! I actually think it looks like a really fun game in it's own right, there is a good mix between exploration, combat, and platforming. Didn't see much speed, but it looks like they cut the demo short to fit it in. But what Stephen said about the combat having variation really does sound like good news to me. If you can unlock new moves, new combos, and new ways to beat the crap out of enemies, I think that's really going to make the game more fun to play.

Overall, it does look great in my opinion. The 3DS version looks pretty good too, but I actually think this version looks better now. And it appears that the graphics look a bit better and the said glitches are not present in this demo, meaning that they have hopefully touched up on some of the issues.

I hope we can see a little bit more from the booth, but I've seen enough of how the levels work to say that I'm sold.

Also Stephen, I think you did a great job today, you stayed energetic and confident throughout the preview and I think that's really good. Congratulations! :)

• Thumbs Up 6

Stream? WUT WHERE?

God damnit smash bros tournament made me totally forget gonna watch now.

Gamespot was having a stream and briefly covered Sonic Boom.

Well, having watched the stream... I think the Wii-U game looks alright. I know I say that a lot, but I don't really have a strong opinion one way or the other at the moment. Quite pleased to see how improved the character models are from the initial reveal back in February, and I think the game looks like the pace has been quickened a tad? Still a bit on the fence, but it's kinda cool seeing more Sonic elements, such as using Sonic's homing attack and even his spin-dash in there. I'm still interested in the prospect of playing as other characters and how the story works out. It's funny that the game is about Sonic learning how to work in a team when he never seems to be the one that has a problem with that... but hey, between that and the trailer with Lyric having a grudge with Sonic (or an ancestor, rather), the story could at least be interesting.

Cripes I actually shouted wanting that interviewer to just shut the fuck up though, he irritated the hell out of me.

Count me as on the fence of Sonic Boom as well. I'm mostly worried that Sonic Boom is just gonna be a button masher with the combat. The platform elements are looking decent though, and I haven't seen enough of the speed sections to get a valid opinion on it.

Why do speed sections matter so much. Before you answer, are you talking about the actual game mechanic speed sections or speed in general. If the former, oh that's understandable. 

Count me as on the fence of Sonic Boom as well. I'm mostly worried that Sonic Boom is just gonna be a button masher with the combat. The platform elements are looking decent though, and I haven't seen enough of the speed sections to get a valid opinion on it.

This gives me an idea: what if Boom had an intricate combo system?

What do you mean by intricate? 

Also, since Stephen is watching the forums right now, I do want to ask: is there gonna be more to the combat than just mashing the buttons? Like are the enemies gonna be varied enough that the player has to use some skill to figure out how to beat them?

What do you mean by intricate? 

Also, since Stephen is watching the forums right now, I do want to ask: is there gonna be more to the combat than just mashing the buttons? Like are the enemies gonna be varied enough that the player has to use some skill to figure out how to beat them?

Like, pressing these buttons in a certain order performs this move, but pressing these other buttons in a different order performs another move, and so on.

Repost:
Eh...well, combat looks slightly faster, I guess?

But that still doesn't say much as combat still looks rather uninspired and hasn't really changed my mind of it or get me excited from previous footage/showings. Yet another thing that worries me is the Enerbeam gimmick which looks like your basic grapple and throw and used to solve puzzles, though seeing it used twice in boss battles from this vid and early gameplay footage, I'm hoping that not ALL boss battles requires lassoing and throwing robots at the big boss and be able to go direct combat or else it'll get repetitive way too fast and predictable. 

Ah, that's what you mean. But still, it all depends on execution. Like, for example, why should I perform another move? Will it defeat the enemy faster? Will I have to use a certain move to defeat a certain enemy? Stuff like that.

Ah, that's what you mean. But still, it all depends on execution. Like, for example, why should I perform another move? Will it defeat the enemy faster? Will I have to use a certain move to defeat a certain enemy? Stuff like that.

That's kind of what I'm thinking: alternate moves to speed up combat.

In a game such as this, I would much rather they focus on different enemies and how the environment can help rather than the move sets themselves. A simple trio of light, medium, and heavy attacks with the Enerbeam throw should just have a lot of mileage with enemies that are different in terms of strategy necessary to defeat them, or ones that simply adapt to your skill. And again, don't be afraid to let us throw some enemies into lava or acid, or use a puzzle to spring a trap for the more observant players. 

More off screen gameplay. Tails is still rocking his Miles Electric.

Dangit auto I was about to post this one D:<

Anyway after seeing this video I got to admit that while I was optimistic for this before this video made me even more optimistic for the game, the encounters look pretty hard so you can't just completely mash your way through (this guy got very lucky) and they seem to take some pretty legitimate skill to get through, the platforming seems like its going to be pretty good and looking at how the level design is the speed is actually perfect for these kind of levels and maybe we might get some open ended levels for the more speedier parts.

Overall im pretty darn impressed with this, can't wait for it to come out.

• Thumbs Up 5

More off screen gameplay. Tails is still rocking his Miles Electric.

Huh, I actually like that cutscene. I mean, yeah, dumbass Knuckles as expected, but the way it was handled was pretty nice. It was calm and didn't feel all that forced.

Also, for people who felt like Amy not being gaga over Sonic, that's still there, just a bit more subtle.

• Thumbs Up 7