Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

Literally Uno Problemo.. In Level dialogue. I personally don't care and while I find a few a tad "he's on the wall!" How do you know sonic your head wasn't facing him. But lol on a serious note, I'm not that bothered but I can see some getting quite erked. I especially like the level design. Looks like the just sold a wiiU!

Also: That cutscene! XD I kind of feel like Knuckles was enforcing his "muscle" and it ended up being "dumb"/silly and I like that. It's not obvious enough to make me feel like ugh.

... the encounters look pretty hard so you can't just completely mash your way through (this guy got very lucky) and they seem to take some pretty legitimate skill to get through,

See I got the exact opposite impression, the combat still looks mind-numbingly simple and doesn't require anything other than mashing attack (especially with the twice-generous rings-as-HP system meaning you can constantly take hits without much issue).

You know what gonna be less harsh on the game it looks ok.

I cant exactly say it something I tell my friend he needs to try out because theres nothing special about besides sonic but atleast if someone wants to play as sonic they dont have to do it in a outright bad game.

Still you know what would really be nice if this game just had something to really hook you, Something that make you think "Wow no other game lets me do this" I dont know maybe something like SPEED.

Yeah its nice this is a seperate canon and all but it still sonic sanzaru cleary gets this but big red button does not.

And that not doing them any favors. The element of speed would have given this game something that made it special but sadly brb once again just doesnt seem to get it.

@diogenes I have to say make this a game where you can die in two hits is a really bad nobody is looking for a fighting game where the challenge is you can only get hit once and nobdy wants to have to constantly stop and collect rings.

• Thumbs Up 2

Literally Uno Problemo.. In Level dialogue. I personally don't care and while I find a few a tad "he's on the wall!" How do you know sonic your head wasn't facing him.

There are guys from ND in the team, they could at least make Sonic look back once in a while like Crash 2 in the boulder chase levels.

• Thumbs Up 1

The bigger robot took more rings it looked like so it probably isn't just gonna be hit n' smash even if so there was platforming inbetween. See, the focus isn't JUST a brawler so saying that the combats lackluster doesn't seem valid unless you back it up. All I see is "Simple, Dull" I know I'm generalizing but I don't see why having extensive moveset is necessary to to enjoy this particular game seeing as it's not JUST a brawler but also a platformer. Plus, as Storme said, getting bopped losing every ring, and getting bopped again and dying isn't anymore fun than it sounds.

My thoughts on the video

-Amy's models looks kinda weird in cutscenes

-What's with everybody's fur? They look kinda like those wooden toys,

-Seems like chatter does repeat, but it's just the generic "good job" chatter that does it

-The platforming looks interesting

-This IS very exploration-based. I know it's obvious but after seeing the game in action it's really amazes me (not in a good/bad way) just how different this from a regular Sonic game.

-Can't make heads or tails of the music

-Is Sonic carrying Amy's hammer?

-I missed this kind of platforming. Reminds me of playing Fairly Oddparents Shadow Showdown on my Gamecube. Still a great game after 10 years.

-The chatter isn't as bad as I thought it would be. In this level at least.

-Save for the obvious hints. Of all the things to take from Sega Sonic...

-The minibosses look Lost World tier, and from what I saw in the trailers the Eggman bosses are fought in roughly the same way. Eh.

-I can hear some music now. If it's coming from the game and not background noise, I think we can have hope for a not generic orchestral soundtrack.

-Did Sonic just hum part of the Mario underground theme while going through a pipe? Or was it the pipe sound effect?

-And another running section.

And it cuts off there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you for the insight Mr. Frost. From what you said it sounds like you have to be careful with how you attack certain enemies, which is what a lot of people were worried about. I'm glad what we see is only a small portion of enemies that we'll have to go through. 

You all have only seen a few enemy types, with only the variation in the grunt being one that carries a shield. Using that as an example, though, you can't attack an enemy from the front when they have a shield, you either need to go around or remove the shield with the Enerbeam. The pro/con with the Enerbeam is that you are vulnerable when you use it. In the E3 demo, it is tuned to be a bit easier than it would normally be. In the normal game, if you try to just use the Enerbeam a lot without thinking about it, you will be hit quite a bit. Also, enemies have invulnerable states that normal attacks cannot get through. However, your charge attack can get through it. However, you can't really move when you are charging, so you have to think about when to use it. There are tiers of charge moves, as well. That's a little bit of insight into the combat system.

For those saying that more powerful robots cause more damage, you are correct. We didn't think it made sense to have a small enemy damage you as much as a more powerful one. Also, later on, enemies all will do things to affect the fighting areas, so you can't just run and attack someone blindly. It's gets pretty intense. You have to look for your opportunities to perform attacks. Just mash against later enemies and you will get hurt.

Moving onto the Guardian chase... that first encounter with it is deliberately made simple. However, he bothers you all through the level. The other chase sequences with him get more elaborate. 

Oops... time for dinner. Talk to you all latet.

Oh, and in case you didn't notice, the characters have evade rolls, as well, which works well if you pay attention to the enemy tells. Get a few hits in and then evade. You want to keep your combo string going, though, so that you can earn more robot parts.

Quick question that you don't have to answer if you want but is there dodge buffering in this game? What I mean is when your attacking can you dodge out of the animation during the attack or in between the attack animations.

Soooo I tried the game.

The dialogue was delicious all around. I'm definitely looking forward to the story as I'm sure it will give lots of laughs.

The 3DS version took me six minutes to clear one stage, but I imagine others will do it more quickly.

I tried three of the four Wii U stages.

Overall, I was most relieved at the combat areas. Once I got into the hang of it, it actually went by really fast. Sonic attacks with such speed that despite the number of hits needed, he can quickly deliver a powerful combo that roasts them.

As Mr. Frost has mentioned, however, you can't just button mash completely and need to change tactics with various foes.

The speed area admittedly seemed somewhat bland, but I'm hopeful that there will be more to later speed stages.

The boss was really hard for me to get into, but the good news is there are checkpoints after each major hit (e.g. when you smack him in the cockpit). At least that's how it seemed to me; I died after giving Eggman two critical hits, only to respawn and be working on the third hit still.

Hey ho, who just said something about time travel?

That would be me. Oh god I called it.

I was mostly just joking given the really subtle clue and the history of the Jak franchise, but I get the feeling I'm going to be somewhat on the money about how Lyric recognizes Sonic.

My guess is Sonic will be to Lyric as Shadow was to Mephiles. Said villain awakens, remembers them, and the hero's all "Uhh, what?"

Looks like Travis stopped by at the booth to say hello. And by hello, I mean "U SUCK SANIC".

Takashi Iizuka also stopped by the booth. I don't think he was there in a SEGA capacity (I mean really, he has no involvement apart from some very basic supervision as memory serves), but he passed by me just as I was leaving, it was an awesome coincidence.

• Thumbs Up 9

Soooo I tried the game.

The dialogue was delicious all around. I'm definitely looking forward to the story as I'm sure it will give lots of laughs.

The 3DS version took me six minutes to clear one stage, but I imagine others will do it more quickly.

I tried three of the four Wii U stages.

Overall, I was most relieved at the combat areas. Once I got into the hang of it, it actually went by really fast. Sonic attacks with such speed that despite the number of hits needed, he can quickly deliver a powerful combo that roasts them.

As Mr. Frost has mentioned, however, you can't just button mash completely and need to change tactics with various foes.

The speed area admittedly seemed somewhat bland, but I'm hopeful that there will be more to later speed stages.

The boss was really hard for me to get into, but the good news is there are checkpoints after each major hit (e.g. when you smack him in the cockpit). At least that's how it seemed to me; I died after giving Eggman two critical hits, only to respawn and be working on the third hit still.

I was mostly just joking given the really subtle clue and the history of the Jak franchise, but I get the feeling I'm going to be somewhat on the money about how Lyric recognizes Sonic.

My guess is Sonic will be to Lyric as Shadow was to Mephiles. Said villain awakens, remembers them, and the hero's all "Uhh, what?"

Takashi Iizuka also stopped by the booth. I don't think he was there in a SEGA capacity (I mean really, he has no involvement apart from some very basic supervision as memory serves), but he passed by me just as I was leaving, it was an awesome coincidence.

Did you get a good listen to the music at all and how is it if so?

Did you get a good listen to the music at all and how is it if so?

I could barely hear the dialogue, much less the music. sad.png E3 is like 100 rock concerts going on next to each other with their noise levels.

Hopefully we'll know who the composer is soon, at least.

Ah well, yeah E3 is pretty darn loud though. Also, agreed, I hope we know whose composing this soundtrack at some point.

Eh. It could be that he remembers an ancestor of Sonic or someone similar considering those statues of "Sonics" in the speed stage...

• Thumbs Up 1

So.

The Echidnas had their emeralds, the hedgehogs have rings.

What do foxes have? Monitors?

The Sonic/Amy footage looks pretty good compared to what we saw in the b-roll footage and the Sonic/Knuckles level which honestly does still look dire. I'm not big on all the combat at all, but there was plenty of platforming and exploring gameplay to break it up. It's still slow though. I'd really like a run button.

• Thumbs Up 2

So far in almost every cutscene I've seen of Knuckles with Sonic he always looks angry and ready to punch Sonic. Why is he so angry?

So far in almost every cutscene I've seen of Knuckles with Sonic he always looks angry and ready to punch Sonic. Why is he so angry?

They are probably not too buddy buddy early on in the game and Knux is the type to resort to violence when aggravated.

anyway, I think Sonic has a pretty good gait to him from the looks of that footage. Much faster looking than what we saw before. He covers plenty of ground (much faster than lets say... Ratchet).

Hands On Preview courtesy of Sonic Stadium:

Big Red Button’s Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric is an odd duck. It’s a Sonic game that feels NOTHING like a Sonic game in almost every sense. At it’s core, it’s an adventure-based brawler with platforming and puzzle elements similar to other adventure games such as Tomb Raider, Ratchet and Clank or Uncharted and relies heavily on co-op. A Sonic game that’s not very Sonic-like in any way.

The E3 demo I played has four different levels. A mining level with Sonic and Knuckles, an underground toxic waste level with Sonic and Amy, a speed traverse level with all four and finally, a boss fight with Eggman. These levels are meant to show you samples of the gameplay you can expect from the game, but when put out of context like this, it kind of gives you a poor idea of what the full game is like.

The speed level is fairly simple with some boosting areas, simple jumps and places where you can grab with your enerbeam to swing around. I did go an alternate path from what was shown in previous videos and found an area with a fair amount of obstacles to dodge. It’s no Sonic Generations, but at least it’s something fun to do when going between worlds. Sadly the level was very short and stopped before we got to our destination.

“Well, we solved that! Now let’s stagger around until we find some more switches to move this cart around and MAN! I’m already bored.”

Now, here’s where things get very different. I played as Sonic and Knuckles as we traversed an old mining facility. There were robots and snakes around (at which point Knuckles does a bad Indiana Jones imitation) I couldn’t figure out how the gate opened, but fortunately, Sonic chimed in “maybe we need to use that mine cart up there!” So, I found a switch to drop the mine cart and had Knuckles push it to the gate by way of punching) and used the jump boost on top of the mine cart to get over the gate. During the level, I was constantly having to stop and figure out what to do next. Some of which was done by using each characters unique abilities. Sonic has a spindash that boosts him up into hard to reach places, while Knuckles can burrow or climb certain ledges. At one point, we used our enerbeams to lock on and pull the cart over to another path. That’s right, Sonic and Knuckles have “lock-on cart” technology.

…..Oh, come on! That was funny and you know it.

However, constantly having to stop and figure out another puzzle made the whole thing (up to getting to the mining robot) a real drag. At one point, Sonic sees Tails and Amy up above. They are talking about how what a blast they are having in this upper path. “Well, at least they’re having fun” Sonic quips. Too bad I’m not. I found this to be the most boring level in the entire demo.

The third demo was with Sonic and Amy in an underground toxic waste dump. At times they are being chased by a giant guardian robot while being assisted by a helper robot. There are a few chase scenes reminiscent of Crash Bandicoot. It seems odd that Sonic can barely run fast enough to get out of it’s way. He basically runs the same speed as Amy. Maybe he’s just slowing down to make sure she’s safe? Speaking of Amy, her gameplay is actually pretty good here. She’s acrobatic and can traverse thin pipes and does some difficult platforming along with swinging from bar to bar. I found using her to be much more fun than Sonic or Knuckles. Also, she sounds a lot more like her old Sonic X self rather than Minnie Mouse.

The final level is a boss fight with Dr. Eggman. He’s using an ancient machine and it isn’t going too well (the Eggmobile doesn’t fit quite right and keeps falling over). He’s also using old, used missiles that don’t hit the gang, but just drop to the ground. You can then grab the missiles with the enerbeam to throw them back at Eggman until he falls over and you can attack him head on. There’s plenty of teamwork going on here and the quips are pretty funny. That’s one thing I really gotta hand this game. The dialog doesn’t constantly repeat itself (except in some casual fights) and is pretty funny while moving the story along. It’s a refreshing pace from the poor dialog we got in games like Sonic Heroes. That’s good for those of you who love some Sonic games for their story.

Sadly, that’s the best compliment I can give the game so far. The game just demos bad. Having it cut into chunks like this really doesn’t give you a full understanding of how the full game really is and instead gives you these dull puzzle sections that make the Werehog levels in Sonic Unleashed seem like a thrill ride in comparison. Also, if this is a co-op game, why are there no two-player demos out on the E3 floor? As I said though, it’s really hard to judge in the format it’s in here. However if I only had a choice between the Wii U version and the 3DS version (Hands-on coming soon), I’d definitely pick the 3DS version as it has more of what makes a fun Sonic game. This one seems to be more focused on telling a story rather than making a really fun experience.

So I take it that Sonic Boom Wii U version is going to be those types of Sonic games where people will either love or really hate it cause it's too focused on storytelling then gameplay.

Oi, Ogilvie, how was the framerate?

I didn't see any issues with it, myself.

Eh. It could be that he remembers an ancestor of Sonic or someone similar considering those statues of "Sonics" in the speed stage...

Well given they've confirmed time travel as an element, I have a strong suspicion Sonic himself is going to do the deed, and be immortalized by an ancient culture.

So I take it that Sonic Boom Wii U version is going to be those types of Sonic games where people will either love or really hate it cause it's too focused on storytelling then gameplay.

Eeyup.

We must above all else remember that despite the desire for this to appeal to both old and new fans alike, this game is ultimately meant for a new demographic. If older fans like it, that's just a bonus.

If this was meant for us, there wouldn't be so many changes. This is meant to draw in a ton of new people, thus increasing SEGA profit margins.

• Thumbs Up 1