Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

And to think, I had hope that I was jumping the gun in thinking that Knuckles was going to be stupid.

Granted, it's a slightly charming stupid due to it being driven by bravado, but fuck man.

Shame... Seems like the Sonic Stadium guys should have asked me more questions as I could have explained the reasons for several of the things they had issues with.

• Thumbs Up 4

That joke with Knuckles felt forced to me. It wasn't really done in a way that would've made it funny. The joke itself just seemed to be a way to show off Knuckles' idiocy...but not even using the joke in the correct way.

Shame... Seems like the Sonic Stadium guys should have asked me more questions as I could have explained the reasons for several of the things they had issues with.

I don't think anyone would object to you clearing a few things up on here if you get the chance at some point.

• Thumbs Up 5

I like how Knuckles and Sonic are kind of jerks to each other and deny the other's usefulness, myself.

It just seems to be a more fresh way to emphasize friendship when they aren't so in your face about it.

@Ogilvie, what's your verdict on the game so far?  Good, bad, ugly?  Because from what I've seen it looks promising.

I haven't watched that much of the footage, but Amy's mouth looks kind of off when she's talking.  This is par for the course though as her Boom incarnation's mouth always seems to look a bit weird, for some reason.  I hope that'll get a bit more work before release.

"NICE KILL, SONIC"

Say, remember a while back when there was a big fuss about those slightly violent-sounding out-of-context lines from Lost World?

• Thumbs Up 2

@Ogilvie, what's your verdict on the game so far?  Good, bad, ugly?  Because from what I've seen it looks promising.

It was a bit hard to get into at first but I was able to have a good amount of fun. I think we've only gotten a taste and when the game is actually altogether it could be quite enjoyable.

As mentioned though, if you're expecting what's normally associated with Sonic, it may not quite be for you. If you're a Sony platformer person, knock yourself out.

That said, I skipped the underground sewer stage because that just looked tedious. I did get a good idea of play in the others, though; I didn't mind the small puzzles in the Sonic/Knuckles stage, for example.

"NICE KILL, SONIC"

Say, remember a while back when there was a big fuss about those slightly violent-sounding out-of-context lines from Lost World?

Oh crap are we headed towards E10 rating again.

"NICE KILL, SONIC"

inb4 Killing is against Sonic's character even though this is a new continuity and he's done so before.tongue.png

When in doubt, Ratchet & Clank morality. Killing is only wrong if they weren't attacking you first.

Otherwise, democide awayyyy!

So, Knuckles is still dumb nice to know, sigh...But what the hell is up with Amy's face in that cutscene? She looks so unexpressive in comparison to the others.

I understand the Knuckles fans don't appreciate how he's been dumbed down a fair bit, but I personally think it's given him a sort of charm. I don't know, he just amuses me at how he's not completely wrapped tight in terms of intelligence and common sense.

It's a nice foil to Sticks, who is more crazy than derp.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, he's not really dumb so much as it's the minor details that seem to attract his attention. What we take for granted, he does not.

Some could say he's more observant, rather than dumb.

I understand the Knuckles fans don't appreciate how he's been dumbed down a fair bit, but I personally think it's given him a sort of charm. I don't know, he just amuses me at how he's not completely wrapped tight in terms of intelligence and common sense.

It's a nice foil to Sticks, who is more crazy than derp.

Knuckles' naivety, overly trusting and hot headed nature could have been played up very well to add another layer to the team. And having him lack common sense would have worked brilliantly with that. But the fact he's being portrayed as an idiot instead is what the problem is. 

Also, where is Amy's personality? Like seriously, she has none. 

Knuckles' naivety, overly trusting and hot headed nature could have been played up very well to add another layer to the team. And having him lack common sense would have worked brilliantly with that. But the fact he's being portrayed as an idiot instead is what the problem is.

I'm not seeing much idiocy, so much as he's saying thoughts aloud. "Things inside these things." Well, duh, of course. He just feels a compulsion to state the obvious.

It sounds like he doesn't think before he acts or speaks.

Also, where is Amy's personality? Like seriously, she has none.

We can only hope that we just haven't seen any of it. Amy is kind of bland in the main series (I don't think it's a coincidence she's in fifth place to Sonic, Shadow, Tails and Knuckles), so given they looked to have re-invented her, hopefully they'll follow through and show a personality shift.

In any case, it's a far cry from...that.

tumblr_ms7r6mpevG1sgj45io1_r1_400.gif

Being better than 06 is not an accomplishment by any stretch of the imagination.

• Thumbs Up 1

Happy to see more of Amy's gameplay. :B Agility and strength moves just like how she played in SA1. Good. I liked that. :B

Also good to hear "Nice swing Amy!" from Sonic. :D

As for the noise-free clip; Amy's voice sounds older, sure... but much less distinctively Amy. I'm sure this is more the kind of voice *cough* STC Amy would have as opposed to Sonic Team Amy. The music feels a little bland, though. :/

Right, not sure which topic this'll fit in so I'll just put it here for now. 

Orbot and Cubot have been spotted at E3. How have they been changed?

10313688_10152569168712741_1924514529015

They Haven't.

Actually, by the looks of things these are figurines. Pretty cool, now if only they could fold up.

• Thumbs Up 4

No sports tape? For shame!

...I am impressed they weren't altered at all, though. I guess they're so beautifully simplistic they reasoned it was best to leave them as is.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you can remember them, Ogilvie, what buttons were the moves mapped on? In both Rise of Lyric and Shattered Crystal.

Right, not sure which topic this'll fit in so I'll just put it here for now. 

Orbot and Cubot have been spotted at E3. How have they been changed?

10313688_10152569168712741_1924514529015

They Haven't.

Actually, by the looks of things these are figurines. Pretty cool, now if only they could fold up.

This is the best news by far,

If you can remember them, Ogilvie, what buttons were the moves mapped on? In both Rise of Lyric and Shattered Crystal.

I know in the 3DS version, the jump and homing attack used the same button.

If I'm not mistaken, in the Wii U, on the other hand, the jump and homing attack were triggered by separate buttons.

I unfortunately can't remember much other than that... there did seem to be some opportunities to change up combos if nothing else.