Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

This game oddly reminds me of Nicktoons Unite, in reference to it's style of brawling. Considering I had no gameplay issues with that game, hopefully it'll be the same with Sonic Boom.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love the in-game dialogue.

The momentum controls look so much better than they were in Lost World. When Sonic double jumps he seems to move/arc a good distance this time. If this game has excellent momentum and tight controls then I will be very happy. 

The chase music sounded more Sonic-y, but then it goes right back to generic orchestra afterwards. It's not bad orchestra, just bland.

I do like that your partners actually seems to be useful rather than running around doing essentially nothing.

I do wish the chatter that's just "hey, this thing happened" would stop. Everything else is fine, though.

Luring the giant bots into that toxic waste geyser looked interesting.

• Thumbs Up 1

Jogging speed for the exploration sections seems up to snuff, but I can't help but feel like the jogging speeds randomly increase our decrease, as if analog control is at party but the demo build doesn't show it in its character models.

That Chase sequence seems so pointless, there weren't any obstacles to avoid and the Robot doesn't even seem to be able to actually attack you in any way. So other than a way to get to the next part of the level and maybe regain health(...?)why did that need to be there?

• Thumbs Up 1

Power Crystals?

Forget the leaked plot about Eggman suing Sonic, I'm expecting Crash to do it instead. 

• Thumbs Up 1

So not everybody is into the merch side but... you might find this of interest.

Oh yes and....

IMG_05161.jpgthe-exorcist-1973--05.jpg

• Thumbs Up 7

That Chase sequence seems so pointless, there weren't any obstacles to avoid and the Robot doesn't even seem to be able to actually attack you in any way. So other than a way to get to the next part of the level and maybe regain health(...?)why did that need to be there?

Exactly what I wanted to say.

But consider this. They did say it was specifically choosen to be easyto beat.

What really bothers me is that you have no control over where you go. If thats only in some parts fine but if there isnt a single section where you can run in any direction you choose.

I'm hoping that water running level will be an example of this.

Well i cant exactly say im excited to play temple run 3 through out this game.

also here

Have we seen this from the begining before?

Of all the things that we're finding fault with in Sonic Boom, chase sequences being linear is one of them? Linear chase sequences have been around in this franchise forever (and the entire platforming genre since forever), from the horizontal lava chase of Marble Zone to the GUN Truck of Generations, and all of the whales, crashing debris, robots, and Indiana Jones boulders in-between. They're there as brief moments of intensity and as context for the level you're in and what you're doing. In this case, there's a guard dog that's roaming around looking for you, so why would you put it there and not have it chase the player at certain points? That's what guard dogs are supposed to do. 

But beyond that, now even chase sequences have to have multiple paths now?

• Thumbs Up 7

I like how on the toy, it says "Articulated Joints" twice.

• Thumbs Up 2

More direct feed footage from GameSpot!

I've only just now realised what the lil wiggly worm like things are... going to the presumably vacant robots sitting around the gameplay area! :D

Oh maaan, I'm as slow as Knuckles! :D

Amy's conversation with the lil robot guide guy was cool as well... "ymean... toxic waste?!" :D

I said things in this thing

Incase you're talking to me I think the chase secene has potential and accepted that it was easy cause it was early. I was just saying i prefer the game not forcing you to move forward all the time.

As for it being linear I was actually talking about the speed sections in general.

All im saying is it would be nice if that water area is as open as it looks and I get the abillity to move around a bit.

I'm sure we can atleast agree on that right?

I personally don't mind the speed segments being linear. They at least have obstacles to dodge and alternate paths to take, which is more than I can say for most of the speed segments in Sonic Colors. As long as I can move fast for parts of the game, even if those parts are linear, I'm happy. 

That said, I certainly wouldn't mind having at least a few open speed sections. The water running bit from trailer looks like it'll be more open, and that would be nice.

A thought occurs.

In the Jak games, you can unlock concept art after collecting enough Precursor Orbs.

You think we'll see the infamous lizard!Sonic and such in this game's concept art, if it's unlockable?

Incase you're talking to me I think the chase secene has potential and accepted that it was easy cause it was early. I was just saying i prefer the game not forcing you to move forward all the time.

As for it being linear I was actually talking about the speed sections in general.

All im saying is it would be nice if that water area is as open as it looks and I get the abillity to move around a bit.

I'm sure we can atleast agree on that right?

I was specifically talking to the both of you since Static started the tangent. However, you said you agreed with the general sentiment of his post, and they were complaining that the chase sequence was overall pointless. I countered that chase sequences have a purpose, even if they're not entirely difficult, so noting that the demonstration was easy doesn't serve to dismiss the point being made.

If you were actually talking about speed sections in general, if the water areas are open then that's fine, but particularly in the context of a game with large platforming stages with areas only accessible by certain characters, which prompts movement and exploration by design, the chase sequences and even the speed sections being linear doesn't actually bother me. Linear games in general don't really bother me; I get along just fine playing things like Crash, Rayman, and even the more linear Mario games.

A thought occurs.

In the Jak games, you can unlock concept art after collecting enough Precursor Orbs.

You think we'll see the infamous lizard!Sonic and such in this game's concept art, if it's unlockable?

I sure hope so. I believe concept art has been confirmed, so maybe we will.

I've only just now realised what the lil wiggly worm like things are... going to the presumably vacant robots sitting around the gameplay area! :D

Oh maaan, I'm as slow as Knuckles! :D

Amy's conversation with the lil robot guide guy was cool as well... "ymean... toxic waste?!" :D

You're faster than I am. I hadn't noticed that at all. Very nice detail, and hopefully that'll add a nice extra layer to the combat encouraging you to play quickly. That's pretty cool.

I sure hope so. I believe concept art has been confirmed, so maybe we will.

I mostly just wanna see all the design ideas that Sonic Team vetted. We should at least get that.

So a general round-up of what I’ve garnered from Boom’s story so far going by released details/cutscenes;

- The village the characters live in gets attacked. This sounds interesting. Who attacks? Eggman? What kind of destruction is sown and how do the characters react?

- The main four seek out a crystal of some sort.

- Sonic intends to find it himself due to his unsociable independent nature but Amy insists on joining him. Knuckles and Tails go back to the village to protect it from further attack.

- There was a war in the past that devastated the oceans with pollution. The plant Sonic and Amy explore was built to siphon-off pollution from said ocean.

- Lyric gets reawakened from sealing. He states that he and Sonic have unfinished business. I recall someone saying that this game incorporates time travel of some sort. So perhaps Sonic seals him in the past? Doesn't make sense though considering Sonic says he has no idea about what Lyric's talking about.

- Lyric wants to rally together his army for some reason.

- Sonic and Knuckles take-on some robot in a mine-like area and work together. Sonic acknowledges that they took it out together. Knuckles is surprised by this acknowledgment of co-operation from Sonic given his unsocial nature and says he’s proud of him for doing so.

• Thumbs Up 2

From what I seen if you take out the snakes before they get to the robot corpses on the floor, you can avoid a much bigger, troublesome encounter right away, so it's effectively like crowd control in keeping the grunts from their power ups, you kill the weaklings before they power up, avoid a bigger fight and be rewarded? Really liking the looks of the combat in this game anyway. Very bouncy animation, but I wish they had more variation to the lines they say, even if it's said in a slightly different way, just for variety and to avoid repetitive dialogue that sounds the same.

I was specifically talking to the both of you since Static started the tangent. However, you said you agreed with the general sentiment of his post, and they were complaining that the chase sequence was overall pointless. I countered that chase sequences have a purpose, even if they're not entirely difficult, so noting that the demonstration was easy doesn't serve to dismiss the point being made.

If you were actually talking about speed sections in general, if the water areas are open then that's fine, but particularly in the context of a game with large platforming stages with areas only accessible by certain characters, which prompts movement and exploration by design, the chase sequences and even the speed sections being linear doesn't actually bother me. Linear games in general don't really bother me; I get along just fine playing things like Crash, Rayman, and even the more linear Mario games.

He said that the sections was devoid of obstacle and enemies and hes right. Since there are no enemies or obstacles not to mention the fact it runs forward for you. you can literally just let go of the controller and be just fine. It has zero intensity since theres zero threat so yes noting that the demonstration was meant to be easy does dismiss the point that it it was infact easydry.png 

On everything else I will say linear may be the wrong term its how automated the running is thats my problem. You can like what you want i wont judge you on it but I personally like the feeling of being in charge of my movement and direction. Even if its just me moving forward. 

Okay, so I guess that speed section isn't entirely pointless if it serves as an introduction to a re-occuring level element. Its not what I would call an "easy" introduction though, I think the problem I had with it was how long it lasted for speed section that is literally has nothing but rings to collect. I'm assuming the robot can't hurt you, seeing as it didn't look like the player wasn't in any actual danger...probably could've just done nothing.

- Lyric gets reawakened from sealing. He states that he and Sonic have unfinished business. I recall someone saying that this game incorporates time travel of some sort. So perhaps Sonic seals him in the past? Doesn't make sense though considering Sonic says he has no idea about what Lyric's talking about.

From what little we've seen so far, it seems to be the same situation as Mephiles and Shadow in 2006.  From Lyric's perspective, he got sealed in the past by Future Sonic and woke up second.  For Sonic it's the other way round.

The alternative of course, is if in the past there was another character who sealed Lyric away whom Lyric has mistaken Sonic for in the present day.

Of course, Lyric merely says that he has unfinished business with Sonic, so it could be something else and neither future Sonic nor-Sonic-like character has anything to do with sealing Lyric away previously.

He said that the sections was devoid of obstacle and enemies and hes right. Since there are no enemies or obstacles not to mention the fact it runs forward for you. you can literally just let go of the controller and be just fine. It has zero intensity since theres zero threat so yes noting that the demonstration was meant to be easy does dismiss the point that it it was infact easydry.png 

On everything else I will say linear may be the wrong term its how automated the running is thats my problem. You can like what you want i wont judge you on it but I personally like the feeling of being in charge of my movement and direction. Even if its just me moving forward. 

The fact that there are no obstacles was mentioned not as the main point, but in support of it. The poster mainly questioned why the section was there and concluded that it was pointless, so that's the part of the argument I decided to address.

I'm also not fond of the implication that I don't like being in charge of my own movement and direction at all. Ignoring the fact that I rail extremely hard around here that speed should be something you're actually in control of and not solely a consequence (positively marketed around here as a "reward") of the slope and gravity, this implication is based around your own admitted misuse of the word linear. You can have automated sections without paths (linear) or with them (open), or you can sections with or without alternate paths that are fully in your control.

I like games of all stripes and design persuasions. I enjoy games where I am in control almost all of the time, and I enjoy games where things may be more automated. I like games that are huge in scope, and I like games that are smaller and more tightly designed. My tastes vary across games, series, and genres; thus, my own perceived quality of a specific, minute design parameter or choice such as a single automated chase sequence depends entirely on its place within the rest of the game as a whole. Thus, I don't like pigeonholing specific pieces or elements into "good" or "bad" categories.

• Thumbs Up 1