Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

I think it can be charged since if you notice in the toxic plant level while the guy was on the ramp he had charged a bit before actually going up it. Not sure if that will influence how far it goes or not but it can definitely be charged.

I suppose it could go either way then. It'll either improve the distance or how strong it is in combat. Hopefully Stephen can elaborate on this. Potentially we could have an ideal compromise here where we can move faster through levels with effective use of the spin dash (i.e not launching into pits) but it's still only in bursts so the level's pacing and design shouldn't be too badly affected.

Could be something to consider adding if it's not there already. Would certainly please a lot of people and seems to be something they could do.

Mind you, the standard jogging speeds look to be suitable for these levels anyway so all's not lost.

• Thumbs Up 1

In defense of the game's music...

and for the record, in case you guys didn't know,

...alright, I have an unhealthy obsession with them catchy tunes.

And here's the thing, while I understand the problem most of you guys have with the dull and monotonous background music droning on without any catchy beats or melodies, I'd actually like to appeal to a concept of videogame scoring that has almost always been overlooked in most Sonic games, mainly because these games have never really had the same pace as this one before. 

First, I suggest you watch this video in it's entirety:

But mainly pay close attention to around the 8:05 mark.

There's a time and a place for "ambient" sounds in a videogame. The mostly slow pacing and progression of this game allows for a better opportunity to slow down and take in the scenery than with the other normally fast-paced games. Sure, you could stick around and smell the roses in any of the games, but the music will encourage you to keep moving as fast as possible, and more often than not, the level design actively discourages wide open exploration. So yes, you can stop and relax, but the game is hardly designed to do that, so it's a superficial experience at best.

With what they're doing with Sonic Boom. the main focus is exploration and combat, and that allows for a more ambient approach; not just in terms of things to collect or secrets to discover, but in terms of visual detail and in the case of the point I'm making, less fast-paced and more environmentally driven atmospheric music.

For a classic era example, Sonic CD's American soundtrack did this, actually. There were some pretty recognizable tunes, to be sure... but people tend to prefer the more bouncy tunes of the Japanese soundtrack because they tend to approach the game as a fast-paced romp throughout. But Spencer Nilsen must have seen something different with Sonic CD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KktFIGDfhSc

The reason for the more ambient focus is because Sonic CD is a game that actively encourages exploration more than any of the other Classic 2D platformers - you gotta find the Future and Past warp points and locate the badnik generators and Metal Sonic holograms - that's a lot of focus on browsing through the level rather than blasting from point A to point B: granted, you can do that as well and still get the good ending by collecting the Time Stones "Sonic 1" style, but the exploration method is equally as valid, if not moreso, since the time travel gimmick is this game's hook. 

Main point, just as Sonic CD's US soundtrack had a more ambient and atmospheric take on the soundtrack because of the unusually exploratory nature of this entry, Sonic Boom seems to be following the same formula. I'd also like to vouch for the PC/Saturn version of Sonic 3D Blast's soundtrack opposite to the Genesis one as another example. 

And yes, I agree that it would be nice to have more catchy melodies in this game, and it's totally possible to pull both off, I won't be too upset if they don't - this game's focus is exploration and combat with a little speed on the side; it's an atypical take on the Sonic series in nearly every way, so that will also likely include the music.

If you ask me, it seems like the decision for more "drone-ish" music is a deliberate take on the overall design of the game, and wasn't done without careful consideration. Nonetheless, music is a big part of the franchise as a whole, but quite frankly, we're kind of short on ambient tracks to chill out to.

Also, Frostman, if you're tuning in, do you care to offer your thoughts on the process for music composition? I'd really like to hear more about how this games scoring is done. Who's responsible for the music? 

Loving what I see so far. I appreciate you and everyone at BRB's hard work. Keep going strong!

• Thumbs Up 8

Huh. From that video the graphics don't actually look too bad. I mean it's not mind blowing or anything but does it really look like shit? Hell no. I think people were just blowing it out of proportion, bloody hell. The gameplay still looks nothing special, but eh. What can you do? It's a co op brawler after all, which is fine by me since I don't like all the speedy moments in Sonic's recent games.

The dialogue and story definitely looks like it's going to be the best thing about this game. It's great! Not annoying, not lame and I still can't get over how amazing both Knuckles and Amy sound. <3 I think I prefer these versions of the characters more than the Flanderized SEGA ones.

In defense of the game's music...

I think you're spot on. Sonic games normally have an emphasis on speed, so the tracks tend to match and usually are pumping with energy. The tracks are ultimately rather serene, which makes sense when there's no real action.

The case is doubly so in natural areas. Areas that don't really have architecture tend to have more ambient music, especially in Sony games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JALPvnnfxJ8

While there's some combat in this level, it's ultimately a beautiful, peaceful stage. The music reflects this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdYXUKN_GuQp

Compare to the usual boss theme from the same game. Very foreboding and intense.

So we're ultimately seeing that here. I didn't really get a chance to hear the music so couldn't tell if the Jak tradition of changing the music to a more intense version during combat then switching back to normal music once all enemies are beaten is honored, but I'm hopeful.

===

Off topic but in line with the above, it's actually somewhat poetic that Big Red Button is designing this game, since in Jak 2, Baron Praxis' boss battles actually are much like Eggman's. In both cases he's in a cockpit that's attached to either a flying octopus robot or a spider robot. And in both cases, when beaten, he flies off in his cockpit.

It really is a huge improvement over prior titles. Even if the gameplay is likely to be mixed, the characterization and comedy are spot-on. I can only hope the story matches in overall quality.

It may not be the same as older Sonic games in its play style, but if it can deliver a story with rich characters, I think a lot of fans will be able to overlook the change in gameplay and design.

10366328_1468146973431437_79707338827470

"HAY KIDS DID YOU HEAR ABOUT MY NEW VIDEO GAME HUEHEUH COURSE YOU DID ITS GOT FIGHTING YOU KIDDIES LOVE FIGHTING RIGHT HEUGHEUGHEUGH AND THE BEST PART IS IM PLAYABLE HEUGHEUGHEUGHEUGH LETS GO BACK IN TIME DOODLY DOODLY DOODLY DOODLY"

On that note, while the animations are really damn nicely done they are a bit tough around the edges. I hope they sort that out in the final version, but it's not a terribly big deal I guess.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still think the graphics could look a lot better than what we're getting, all the locations lack atmosphere and small details that aid to the atmosphere and overall feel of each locale. Like, where's the smoke/steam coming off the toxic sludge and stuff in the underwater factory? Where's the holes and mining equipment, oil geysers and debris in the mining facility? Where's the condensation on the windows and pipes inside the factory from the damp and dankness of the overall area that hasn't been used in years?

Sonic may be faster, but he's still janky looking due to no in between option from walk to jog, there should be another animation frame between the two to smooth out the animation, like Jak has sneak, walk, power walk, jog and sprint.

Lyric recognising Sonic is easy.  Two alternatives:

One: Ancient ancestral race of hedgehogs sealed Lyric in the past.  One of them looked a lot like Sonic.  Lyric doesn't know how long he's been sealed and assumed that the ancient hedgehog that sealed him and Sonic are one and the same and it's only been like five minutes.

Two:

• Sonic's timeline: Travels to Lyric's base --> Awakens Lyric --> Stuff happens --> Travels back in time --> Defeats past Lyric --> Returns to present --> ???
  • Lyric's timeline: Past Lyric is evil in the past --> Blue hedgehog turns up and seals him --> Blue hedgehog unseals him --> Present Lyric does evil things in the present --> ???

Lyric never travels back in time and doesn't know that Sonic does either.  (He probably doesn't know that he's been sealed for a thousand years, either.)  Sonic does travel back in time for whatever reason and seals past Lyric, but that doesn't change the fact that present Lyric is alive and kicking years later.  So "???" presumably stands for "Sonic fights present Lyric, wins."

To put it another way, Lyric's timeline is a straight line, Sonic's does a loop-de-loop.

• Thumbs Up 1

Regarding your music post Indigo, I get where you're coming from, but my problem is literally just the soundfont.  I agree that Sonic CD US is a great example of how to do ambient, atmospheric music in a Sonic game.  But Lost World* Boom's music is just way too orchestral and like every other generic (usually movie-tie-in) platformer out there, from what we've heard so far at least.  I actually quite like the ambient music that plays when Sonic and Amy first arrive, and the chase scene music, though the semi-action semi-atmospheric music that plays after these two sections was bland and middling as hell.

The fact that the music keeps getting faded out during dialogue, even for repetitive battle phrases that don't -need- to have total clarity, lessens the effect even more.

*EDIT: Small game name mistake that caused confusion in subsequent posts.

• Thumbs Up 1

Jez, this isn't Lost World, even though that also had plenty of orchestral music. 

Say, I guess its confirmed we are at least getting hoverboarding racing levels,

IMG_05301.jpg

quite likely vehicle, both ground and aircraft, I can see rafei doing that after Jak 2/3

B-b-but Sonic doesn't need veh-*remembers Tails' abnormally huge wrench and creepy smile*-OKAY sounds cool!

It'll be interesting to see how they will pull vehicles off, as they have been confirmed. Maybe we'll get to fly the new plane/Tornado.

Jez, this isn't Lost World, even though that also had plenty of orchestral music. 

I never said I wanted Lost World-esque music?  Can you elaborate a bit, I literally have no idea what you're arguing here.

If frost returns and decides to answer some questions, here are a few:

- Does the spin charge lengthen the spindash any? Like will it go further?

- If we we're to had been playing as Amy before the cutscene (before the mine cart place) would we be looking into Tails/Amy's portion of the story?

- Will the game have upgrades? Combat -> Vehicles -> Player Moves, will there be any?

- I know combat is the focus, but how much platforming is integrated?

Sorry I just really wanna know! ; - ; Speaking of questions, do you think anyone will interview Frost anytime soon?

I never said I wanted Lost World-esque music?  Can you elaborate a bit, I literally have no idea what you're arguing here.

Because you referenced Lost World? I think you did a Freudian and meant Boom.

Because you referenced Lost World? I think you did a Freudian and meant Boom.

...Whoooooooooops yep good catch.  I can only think my thought process came from the fact that Sonic Boom appears to involve exploring some kind of lost civilisation so I was like "ah yes Lost World that sounds the right name for this jungley ruinsy heavy place with statues".

- Will the game have upgrades? Combat -> Vehicles -> Player Moves, will there be any?

?

I recall upgrades were confirmed @ gamespot's interview..but I'm not sure if that was the 3DS version instead..might be both.

Hey guys, did anybody notice that blue bar below the ring counter? It seems to increase whenever you collect rings. Wonder what that is.

Hey guys, did anybody notice that blue bar below the ring counter? It seems to increase whenever you collect rings. Wonder what that is.

health. a hint bubble popped up saying collect rings to increase health

Somewhere it was mentioned that you cap off at 100 rings; they're your health after all, they can't be limitless. It was also mentioned that number can be increased somehow.

I think that bar is a measurement of how close you are to your cap off point.

• Thumbs Up 1

Cool. Guess rings are the numbers and the bar is the percentage of health left/maximum health.

Cool. Guess rings are the numbers and the bar is the percentage of health left/maximum health.

I'm actually liking the look of the game so far. Seems very Ratchet and Clank esque. Characters seems fun and Amy doesn't sound like Mickey Mouse so whoo. The graphics look so awkward though, Jeezus. A little lighting and this could ALMOST look as good as the cheap CG the show uses.

I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt and assuming they toned down the lighting for a decent frame rate in this point of development. Where the music at doe

• Thumbs Up 1

Lyric never travels back in time and doesn't know that Sonic does either.  (He probably doesn't know that he's been sealed for a thousand years, either.)  Sonic does travel back in time for whatever reason and seals past Lyric, but that doesn't change the fact that present Lyric is alive and kicking years later.  So "???" presumably stands for "Sonic fights present Lyric, wins."

To put it another way, Lyric's timeline is a straight line, Sonic's does a loop-de-loop.

Huh, I actually never thought about it, but you're right in that Sonic will have to defeat Lyric twice (in the past and in the present). Perhaps that explains the two games...

The good part of this form of time travel is it escapes the entropy question. If Lyric traveled back in time himself, he'd A. have memories of the story repeating and B. he'd be aging a little across each time loop until he was old and decrepit.

If Lyric is only defeated at two separate points in time, however, there is no entropy.

I gott say im not really feeling the whole time travel thoery.

We have already found out there was an ancient race of hedgehogs who would obviously be the ones to fight a snake. I just feel the obvious explananation is he was sealed by another blue hedgehog. But sure time travel works too I guess.

• Thumbs Up 1