Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

Obviously the other hedgehog is Sonic's ancestor, which is SEGASonic.

Okay sorry.

I gott say im not really feeling the whole time travel thoery.

We have already found out there was an ancient race of hedgehogs who would obviously be the ones to fight a snake. I just feel the obvious explananation is he was sealed by another blue hedgehog. But sure time travel works too I guess.

While an ancient hedgehog who looks very much like Sonic was my first theory, the fact they confirmed time travel is what made me reconsider.

We must remember, Big Red Button worked on Jak and Daxter.

And Jak and Daxter had a plot twist where Jak's implied to be a great ruler of legend, and his own ancestor.

Obviously the other hedgehog is Sonic's ancestor, which is SEGASonic.

Okay sorry.

Sonic-%D1%84%D1%8D%D0%BD%D0%B4%D0%BE%D0%

I saw this and oooooh boooy. I guess it's far-fetched and for sure it won't be pulled off beyond head-cannons but haha, felt it was interesting to see how people put this out. It's not my head-cannon and I just look at SEGA!Sonic and Boom!Sonic as totally separated dimensions anyways. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Even if it was accepted by 90% of fans as Boom being a side effect of Generations, it would never be officiated, for two reasons:

1. We've determined that continuity isn't this franchise's strong point.

2. It implies the source material is lackluster, which is a nono.

An alternate universe will always be the official explanation, as hilarious as that alternative is. tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 1

How could Sonic doing things differently post-classics erase the Chaos Emeralds or give Knuckles a (presumably) totally new backstory?

How could Sonic doing things differently post-classics erase the Chaos Emeralds or give Knuckles a (presumably) totally new backstory?

The chaos emeralds can still potentially exist in Sonic Boom, as could Knux' backstory. They just said they aren't in the upcoming games.

Ok where exactly did they confirm time travel?

I must have missed it could someone give me a link.

Or should I say a link to the past.

HEYOOOOooo oo o.... okay im done.

I think it's ultimately more likely that any Generations alterations would have been before Sonic was born. Eggman having shattered reality to a point that more than one version of it exists now.

Plus this version would be more likely to get an official backing, since it's not bashing any games.

I hope that if any time travel is involved, they'll stick to one philosophy, be it time loops, minorly altering reality, alternate timelines, or what have you. Combine two or more methods, and you'll bring the whole universe down on top of you.

Also, I agree with every word Indigo said about Sonic music. Poppy, memorable music is great for a speedy game, but atmospheric music fits in with slower levels far better. It creates a mood, makes you want to take your time taking in the whole scene, and just draws you into the game. It might be generic, but it fits the game far more than the usual Sonic fare.

People still want poppy tunes with their Sonic, though, especially when action is happening. I think the two can coexist, however, having the music transition from one version of the tune to another. No, not like the Werehog - that was more annoying than anything - , more in the vein of what SLW Wii U did with it's music. In Windy Hill act 3, for instance, if the player is roaming around the tube, the usual theme plays, but when giant boulders start to chase you, the percussion and a few additional notes are added to the song, making it more intense to fit the scene. I absolutely loved this feature in the game, as I often wondered why Sonic games had so many intense tracks in such slow platforming areas, and would love to see it return the main series again, but I think the most potential it has is in this series. Just don't go all "Werehog Battle" on us, BRB, and you'll do fine in my book.

We must remember, Big Red Button worked on Jak and Daxter.

Are they even letting us forget :P

• Thumbs Up 1

My cousin had a strange theory. He said:"Hey! What if it was some sorta ancient Shadow that defeated Lyric in the past and lyric mistaked sonic for him like sonic adventure 2 and sonic had to go back in time to ask for lyric's weakness?"

As you can tell, my cousin is crazy over SA2.

• Thumbs Up 1

My cousin had a strange theory. He said:"Hey! What if it was some sorta ancient Shadow that defeated Lyric in the past and lyric mistaked sonic for him like sonic adventure 2 and sonic had to go back in time to ask for lyric's weakness?"

As you can tell, my cousin is crazy over SA2.

I could see by some minute chance Shadow being the one who defeated Lyric somehow if he's been altered to be REALLY old instead of just old, but that second part has me headtilting.

But I can only imagine how polarizing as hell that would be if it somehow was true.

I don't doubt Shadow will appear at some point, but since this is the first game they probably wouldn't want to give him too much of a spotlight. Save him for the sequel.

Which will probably be hinted at in a secret ending.

It was nominated. That doesn't really count for an awful lot.

How many nominations are made out of the hundreds of games presented at E3, though? It's at least being considered.

How many nominations are made out of the hundreds of games presented at E3, though? It's at least being considered.

It's been nominated for best platformer, a small category dominated mainly by 2D indie titles. Sonic games very often get nominations.

Looking at the statues along the area they are in which is from an Ancient civilization, we see both hedgehog and echidna statues around. It's possible Lyric is confusing Sonic with one of his ancestors. 

I love fiction for this reason. Resemblances stick between dozens if not hundreds of generations.

Maybe a recessive super speed gene piling up due to inbreeding explains Sonic's power. tongue.png

This video does a really great job of showing how the characters move. We get a good look at Sonic's spindash, and how agile they can be.

- We learn the purpose of the shinies; you collect them to give to Sticks. To her, they're valuable treasures and she'll exchange them for things (I think the rep said blueprints, but I can't hear it clearly).

- A minor glitch happens where Knuckles bounces off a spring even though the mine art that the spring is on has been moved a great distance away already.

- The dialogue and character interactions are just so bloody good. Sonic and Knuckles' rivalry has finally, finally been realised again. And the really interesting thing here is that Sonic is the antagoniser between the two of them. Knuckles is much more the nice guy.

- Another exchange between the two:

*Sonic and Knuckles fall through a hole in the ground*

Knuckles: Ooh, squishy floor!

Sonic: *muffled* get off of my face

And one more video, this time giving us a look at the controls, menu and GamePad. It also gives us our first look at Tails' gameplay. Very informative.

• Thumbs Up 7

I dunno if Knuckles is exactly nice given that chalkboard exchange...

Overall sounds like they take shots at the other's capabilities where able. tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Tails definitely looks like the most fun to play as so far! His more gadget based gameplay looks a lot more varied and interesting than the other characters (but they look fun to play as too).

Glorious Tails master race.

Also, Sonic's spin dash attack looks cool too.

Don't know if this video was posted yet. It shows the alternate Sonic and Amy routes to what we saw in previous videos.

I'm still on the fence, but wow, the B-Roll footage just seemed to focus on all the worst parts of the game. SEGA, what were you thinking?

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah, the B-roll left sort of a bad taste in my mouth in areas. SEGA aren't particularly good with their marketing though so...

...and that's another issue. They will NEED to market the fuck out of this, and the show. The toys will be a handled by Tomy obviously, but SEGA can't let Boom go unnoticed. At least, not the show.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but it provides clear audio of the conversations between Sonic and Amy in their level.
  • Thumbs Up 1

That voice acting is brilliant! Especially Amy, Cindy Robinson is really doing a great job in Boom. I wonder if mainstream Sonic will have her scoundrel the same now or if they'll keep Minnie Mouse.

Travis is doing great too, I really like his slightly new take on Knuckles. Tails sounds more or less the same, and Roger Craig Smith is putting a lot more emotion into Sonic. If Shadow appears, I wonder if they'll get Kirk Thornton to change his voice a little bit.

• Thumbs Up 5

I really, really hope so. The current take that Kirk has on Shadow is... bad. Nowhere near as intolerable as Minne Rose, but still not pleasant.