Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

I personally still think that the 3DS version is better. Apart from the dialogue and the chase music I'm not feeling ANYTHING else at all from the footage. It definitely looks better than the beta footage but eh...I guess this game just isn't for me. Hopefully a demo comes out so I could try it out though.

I'm pretty sure the impressions for Generations and Lost World were overall more positive than this across all reviewing sites. So far, Boom is more mixed.

Well there's mixed impressions, and then there's stuff like this that just seems blind, especially seeing as how this is the only true "negative" article.

Is it bad that I'm mainly looking forward to the Boom Wii U game for the story and to see how the characters will developed? I'm slowly starting to lose faith in the gameplay at this point. Atleast the tv show looks fun and entertaining.

• Thumbs Up 1

If I had to identify a "warning sign" to not take the guy's impressions too much to heart, it'd be the complaint that pushing X didn't activate a spin dash when... it never has.  It's always needed to be charged in every single game it appeared in.  This guy clearly isn't someone who cares about Sonic, and while it's ridiculous to have to point this out - it is still true - someone who WANTS to like a Sonic game, like us, is probably going to be a touch more forgiving due to being invested in it on a slightly deeper level.

Still, such people are giving very mixed impressions, especially on the Wii U version, at the moment, and it's certainly true that we know the game is not going to be overhauled months away from release.  All the aesthetics - visuals, dialogue, music, seems to be done, with (hopefully) just some work to do on animations etc.  In terms of gameplay and level design, what we're seeing is an unpolished version of what we'll be playing, simple as.

On the subject of animations, I really hope there's some more to be added.  I'm surprised no-one else has mentioned it yet but from watching that first guardian chase a few times in various videos now, I can't get over how Sonic and Amy just motionlessly stand there the moment it's over, no sense of having just gone through something so urgent at all, nor the fact that the freaking thing nearly knocked the last door down directly behind them.  Same for the cut-scene when Amy is asking QNC about the base at the start.

• Thumbs Up 6

If I had to identify a "warning sign" to not take the guy's impressions too much to heart, it'd be the complaint that pushing X didn't activate a spin dash when... it never has.  It's always needed to be charged in every single game it appeared in.  This guy clearly isn't someone who cares about Sonic, and while it's ridiculous to have to point this out - it is still true - someone who WANTS to like a Sonic game, like us, is probably going to be a touch more forgiving due to being invested in it on a slightly deeper level.

Still, such people are giving very mixed impressions, especially on the Wii U version, at the moment, and it's certainly true that we know the game is not going to be overhauled months into development.  All the aesthetics - visuals, dialogue, music, seems to be done, with (hopefully) just some work to do on animations etc.  What we're seeing is an unpolished version of what we'll be playing, simple as.

On the subject of animations, I really hope there's some more to be added.  I'm surprised no-one else has mentioned it yet but from watching that first guardian chase a few times in various videos now, I can't get over how Sonic and Amy just motionlessly stand there the moment it's over, no sense of having just gone through something so urgent at all, nor the fact that the freaking thing nearly knocked the last door down directly behind them.  Same for the cut-scene when Amy is asking QNC about the base at the start.

I believe its been pointed out that segment goes into a cutscene that was not included in the demo 

Is it bad that I'm mainly looking forward to the Boom Wii U game for the story and to see how the characters will developed?

I assure you, it's not bad at all

I believe its been pointed out that segment goes into a cutscene that was not included in the demo 

Ah, good to know.  That makes sense now then, it felt like a really sudden and unpolished change of scene etc.

I don't really think they should have showed the game off without the hub, but eh, whadd'ya gonna do. If everything is indeed connected together, taking small parts and making them into a demo isn't exactly an easy thing to do without the game being cut off in areas.

Despite how better the game looks now, hearing all the consistently negative impressions dont leave me with much hope

I mean, at least the game journalists pretended to like SLW before shitting all over it on release

• Thumbs Up 4

The thing is with Lost World was they actually picked some good levels to demo. Or, at least solid ones. I can thoroughly enjoy Windy Hill 1, and Des(s)ert Ruins 2 and 3. It's just there were a lot of poor/unfair/filler levels and also poor controls in the final release, though the controls, funnily enough, weren't mentioned by critics at E3.

I dunno....maybe we have a reverse thing going in here? Game gets mixed reception at E3, gets praised on release?

No not really....

Honestly, I get the feeling that this game is going to be a solid combination in parts, getting better the further you go with more levels and elements introduced, and you get better and used to it. Fact is that this is not a traditional sonic game where you could cut out one level and with the exceptions it plays the same as the rest, even if the level design changes somewhat

Only way to get a true impression with this game will be the complete version, so we just have to wait and see. if you want a comparison, take the underwater level of Jak 2, with altered challenges and physics, or just dump you in a part of the city, its got some good points, but its impossible to fully judge. That's the challenge of dynamic progressive adventuring games, they can change so much through the game, with both bonus modes, challenges levels, and how everything connects you only get one part of the picture

Also the first levels are generaly the easiest, and the easiest to show without ruining a deep plot, which means the better parts of the game are hard to view in a cohesive game because it messes with the picture

Or take the racing challenge valley from Jak and Daxter, that one is a pain, and not a representive of the game as a whole, but if played first would give a false impression

• Thumbs Up 1

Thoughts havent changed on this game.

It still looks below average in most aspects and has no intention of making up for it by actually taking advantage of sonic core aspect, speed.

Once again they have completely Sectioned off speed instead of interwinding it with the combat and platforming. And when they do put speed in the adventre stage its more like a use the speed button to get to this platform and it ends up last less than 2 seconds

Sanzaru clearly atleast has the idea of what a sonic fan would want or rather they actually care.

The speed sections look boring and i have intention of giving this game the benefit of the doubt but will be more than happy to see them inproved.

However if they intend not to change the fact that its still automated temple run I doubt they will be anything to care about. 

Summary:while I have loved how different sonic games have been over the years you are suppose to build on the core aspect of speed not throw it away and replace it with jak. Whats more they try to make excuses for it by saying it for kids or its a different kind of sonic game when its nothing but a downgraded unleashed.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't think marketing is a problem at E3. They have a huge banner as you come in and those giant Sonic Boom bags are all over the show floor. They are one of the most popular swag at the show this week. I'm trying to get some for Hogfather and Sonic Revolution but I dunno if I can.

Yeah, it's like SEGA paid every attendee to carry a banner around at this point. I was only there for Day 1, and those bags were everywhere... can only imagine what Day 2 and 3 must look like.

A lot of people must have thought they looked cool, because they kept asking where I got them (which makes me presume they couldn't guess and probably are people who never really were exposed to Sonic).

I'm hopeful it will help draw people to the booth to report on the game, since it sounds like the press response has so far been dry.

• Thumbs Up 1

At the moment my thoughts on this version are fluctuating between 'okay' and 'really good'. I like how it's trying to be something different, but at the same time I'm worried that I can just go through the game rather empty minded and beat it with little issue. If it's indeed the case that the combat was toned down for the demo and it's more involved in the final version, that's great news to me. My main concern overall is that the game will feel stale and that it won't have much replayability beyond collectibles.

Its a little disheartening to see that this might just be a button masher after all. Even Unleashed gave more variety with the combat :\ Speaking of, it seems like those speed sections are in fact on rails with little input from the player...yea.

That said, I kind of expected this game to not go over so well with the masses and I'm glad we can get the negative out of the way now instead of the previews fooling anyone into thinking the game being better than it actually is. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh well, even if this does turn out to be bad, there's still Shattered Crystal (which looks shaweeeet) to tie me over until Sonic Teams next game.

Oh, and the TV show.

I didn't really explore it but it looks like there's a small range of options for combos, if nothing else.

I do hope the final build has a wide variety of combo options, if nothing else.

Olgilvie, did you notice what the framerate was? 30fps range I'm guessing?

It didn't really seem to noticeably slow down, if that's what you're looking for.

Some things to note:

I, personally, wouldn't take too much thought into peoples impressions seeing as they can change and it helps that you play or atleast watch a youtube playthrough before going one way or the other. 

Also, I saw that the running sections a few times and while "on rails" You can sway left and right like say, Generations when not using the quickstep. OR you can quickstep as a few of the other videos showcased. Look back at the footage a couple more times and you see the player, in one of those videos, jumps and sways left and right during the chase section. 

And, Seeing the one video where the guy had gotten used to the controls and was really doing some nice spindash combos really makes me look forward to see whether or not more moves are added and to get to try making my own little combos and such, if I'm able to get a WiiU.

I think he was actually asking what the FPS itself was

I confess I'd have noooo idea how to measure that, hahaha.

That's a question for the dev team, I think. tongue.png

Also, I saw that the running sections a few times and while "on rails" You can sway left and right like say, Generations when not using the quickstep. OR you can quickstep as a few of the other videos showcased. Look back at the footage a couple more times and you see the player, in one of those videos, jumps and sways left and right during the chase section. 

Well i would expec that the game would let me chose to go left and right. I would also expect that they let me go forward and backwards as I choose but they dont which is riduculous.

Well i would expec that the game would let me chose to go left and right. I would also expect that they let me go forward and backwards as I choose but they dont which is riduculous.

But that's not much different than Sonic Generations, Unleashed, or Colors, spectacle running sections? This has been a thing. Even in games like Adventure, Adventure 2, and Heroes spectacle chase sequences, while letting you go back and forth it still punishes you. So I don't see how this is different? 

Unless you just don't like this across all the Sonic games... Then it makes sense.

But that's not much different than Sonic Generations, Unleashed, or Colors, spectacle running sections? This has been a thing. Even in games like Adventure, Adventure 2, and Heroes spectacle chase sequences, while letting you go back and forth it still punishes you. So I don't see how this is different? 

Unless you just don't like this across all the Sonic games... Then it makes sense.

In those games the goal is almost always forward and there is often little reason to stop , But you still can if you choose to yes there were some time where you were forced forward but it was a tiny portion of the game. Plus there are still many points in the level where you arent just required to move in a straight line.

So yes it is very different since as I said, in those games you can actually control your direction and speed.

In this game you do nothing BUT get forced forward.

Also im mostly speaking of generations since its been ages since ive played the others,anyway as you said in those game while stopping is what can kill you, in this one you couldnt stop if you wanted to .

They have taken out everything but the spectacle chase and then on top of it they do half the work and make it a much more boring spectacle.

Its like if a mario game controlled the direction for you and all you had to do is jump.

Stephens comments wont mean anything until he stops saying it not as bad as it seems and actually shows it.