Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

One thing that stood out to me were the bosses... for the wrong reasons.

All 3 were beat the same way, by throwing missiles or whatever back at them.

Hopefully there's some more variety but 3 bosses being the same doesn't give me much hope.

Alright, so I think it's about time I put in my two cents here. I watched both videos and I think I'm at complete opposite opinions with everyone? Was it different than I expected? Yeah, a little. The 3DS version more so than the Wii U one, however.

So let's tackle the Wii U version first. I think the game looks to be like your standard kids' game. A little worrying, but I do see some things that can work. Yes, the combat looked generic but I believe it could provide a lot of fun in multiplayer. The gameplay we saw of Amy and Knuckles both look quite fun honestly and it looks like the game won't be too repetitive if it knows when to switch up the gameplay. As far as speed sections go, they look quite fun. Sure, there may not be a lot of combat like in Generations or Unleashed, but it looks like they'll be a fun, welcome change of pace. Now speaking of the pace, the game doesn't look that slow. Speed seems to be around what you'd expect in a game like this. Honestly, if the characters were faster, I'm sure people would complain about it looking too slippery. And there's also a chance the characters could get upgraded to run faster or use gear to go faster. The developers did mention the fact that upgrades will be a thing in this game, so who knows what could happen? And last but not least, there's the character interaction. The "RINGS! NOMNOMNOM!" line made me chuckle a bit and the character's lines in game also made me smile. It really sent me back to those PS2/GameCube games where conversation like this was pretty common. Eggman even seems to be quite a silly character, which I'm all up for. 

Now as for the 3DS version, this is where my optimism dies. This version looks horrendous. I do not see the appeal in it at all. And I guess it's my fault for expecting a full 3D Sonic game, but whatever. 2D could have worked if it wasn't bogged down so much. The graphics look fine, and the large maps sound interesting but the game does not look fun at all. The characters are too slow, and the game looks sluggish. It looks like one of those bad movie licensed platformers. I'm not even joking. Also the fact that Amy isn't playable is also a big missed opportunity. I don't see why they needed to make her a damsel in distress a la Princess Peach. On top of that the rival battles look way too similar to the Sonic Rivals games. You know, those mediocre PSP Sonic games nobody cared for? I really can't see how the 3DS version could be good. It just doesn't look appealing to me at all. Sorry, folks.

But hey, at least the Wii U version looks promising enough and I still have hope in this project. I'm still all for the TV series and I can't wait to try this game out this winter. Hopefully by that time I will have acquired a Wii U. So I gotta say, things aren't looking that bad. Yes, it's different, but it's a good different. Also, the developers did mention that it was going to be combat heavy, and the footage looked exactly like what I was expecting. And as far as speed goes, yes it's a Sonic game, but I don't think that strictly means the game should always be fast. The game looks to have speed sections, so you know it's still there. And remember folks, this is a side story. Hell, a different continuity. It doesn't have to be like a traditional Sonic game. The whole point of this project was to try something completely different and so far I think they're doing a fine job. You know, minus the 3DS version.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh my, this topic is so positive!

I'm wondering if what we're seeing of combat is because they're going to introduce an upgrade system into the works like Unleashed did to make you stronger, more endurance etc. So fighting becomes faster and less tedious.

Same here. I was gonna say that maybe, like Sonic Unleashed, there will be upgrades and things to make your characters more powerful thus the brawling element won't feel so slow and clunky. Obviously we need more details but...

Anyways, I think the games look alright. I'm slightly anxious because of the previews saying how slow it is (please let there be upgrades!) but it isn't OMFG SO AWFUL. The Wii U version looks a lot better than the 3DS version and Lyric looks cool. You only think he doesn't look Sonicy because we've never seen a snake character in the series ever.

We knew this was going to be different from your precious boost2win, we knew it was going to be a brawler co op game, so why are most of you so surprised? It's a spin off game, it doesn't HAVE to be all about speed. Also, I loved Jak and Daxter so I think I might like this one, though I know for a fact I'm not buying it day one. I'll wait till the reviews come out, then I'll jump on the potential oh it's so shitty bandwagon. For now though, it looks okay and I'm anxiously awaiting more game impressions and previews.

• Thumbs Up 7

Making a 2D game isn't using 2D as a crutch. Making a supposedly 3D game that's half 2D is using 2D as a crutch.

Now to me, that sounds like the gimped version thrown onto the higher-selling system just to make a quick buck.

Agree to disagree I guess.

Either way, this game looks to be a pretty terrible Sonic game, and a pretty mediocre action/platformer in general.

So let's tackle the Wii U version first. I think the game looks to be like your standard kids' game. 

That my biggest problem with it. It just looks like a cash in plat former game.

Just not cool with that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gotta be honest, the 3DS version had it been 3D would have been more interesting imo. I'm honestly getting tired of 2D ports of console games, and while LW 3DS was a massive disappointment, at least it tried the 3D formula.

Sonic Boom with all of it's concepts and ideas, sounds like it could have worked easily as a 3D game of 3DS. Considering everything the characters do, and the feel they seem to be going for, open world 3D adventure game sounds much more interesting than another 2D game.

One thing that stood out to me were the bosses... for the wrong reasons.

All 3 were beat the same way, by throwing missiles or whatever back at them.

Hopefully there's some more variety but 3 bosses being the same doesn't give me much hope.

I hope the bosses have more creative ways of being destroyed too, instead of the repeated patterns of defeating it.

So my stance is as follows:

Wii U: I haven't followed this game since the initial trailer, because quite frankly the Character designs still piss me the fuck off and I got annoyed the second Tails started firing a fucking gun. Good to know that expecting shit was the right choice, because holy fuck that gameplay looks so goddamn uninspired.

3DS: It looks okay. Not full price okay, but "I'll pick it up if it drops under 10 bucks used" okay. Like the Wii U version, it looks horribly generic, but at least it looks like a horribly generic Sonic game (let's be honest here, Genre-blending has been going on in this series for more than a decade, and Metroidvania is probably the least offensive choice they've ever made).

I'm not buying either, because I've learned to not trust a goddamn thing Sega puts in their trailers, but I think it could be worse. And it's really fucking sad that at this point I'm settling for "could be worse".

• Thumbs Up 1

iBzBOIXpAwKk7.gif

Ok, I did laugh a little at this. The sounds of the comedic touches to this Eggman boss fight sound really cool and funny to me.

Yeah. Writing looks good so far, which is sort of a shame, because the mediocre gameplay may undermine it.

BRB gaming need to polish the game up quite a bit. Even if a poor Sonic game, for the sake of the franchise, it at least needs to be a good game in general. Mechanics need to be solid; movement smooth, combat varied and fun, bosses unique and interesting in their own right.

This game needs to be at least above average as far as action platformers go. If not, its just another black mark, another failed experiment to add to Sonic the Hedgehog's Wall of Shame.

• Thumbs Up 8

PSA: Watch while you can. 

Someone seems to be requesting the videos removed/put on private.

Damage control?

It's possible that the videos were never supposed to be uploaded so early or something. NDA?

After rewatching the footage for the Wii U, I think I can say that it looks alright. Not great, but alright. Of course, I'm hoping they'll show something amazing off at E3, but I'm not holding my breath.

The 3DS version still looks better.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't see why most here are so disappointed, I mean it's not like it looks stellar but from the beggining we knew it wasn't going to be your normal speedy Sonic game, I know it has it's flaws, but I honestly love it so far, specially the amount of detail with the bosses, has a lot of character, It might also be the first time I truly enjoy character interaction in a stage, (well besides Eggman's lines in Colors).

Combat seems good, again slow but I wasn't expecting anything fast really... it's a brawler and exploration co-op game. Sonic's speed works well when it's just a platformer, imagine how frustrating it would be if you went at Generations- speed and you always went past the enemies :P There'd be a lot of back-tracking, I will say those speed sections are awful but since it's just to traverse from stage to stage, I guess it's fine as a little refreshment. 3DS version looks actually kinda decent, ugly but decent.

It's possible that the videos were never supposed to be uploaded so early or something. NDA?

There are multiple videos uploaded at the moment, not just Gamexplain's. That's one hell of a mix up if so.

I'm not disappointed.

Because I didn't care about this game to begin with. I don't have a Wii U, and I would have bought, maybe, a second hand 3DS version. Still, the game looks bad. The Wii U version is ugly, with soul-less colors, and Ratchet & Clank-ish gameplay. And I know it seems strange, coming from someone who didn't like the style used in Lost World, but to me it seems they went on the side of the spectrum. Not good.

3DS version? Well, it's Sonic Rush 5. It may play like a Sonic game, but the aesthetic is just bland and uninspired.

By the way, I was ok with Sticks but Lyric looks horrible. Like, really, really horrible.

I chuckled at Eggman's Egg-mobile's trouble, but that aside...yeah, you haven't made me change my mind.

We haven't had many snakes as Sonic characters now have we? It's not like we have much to compare him to other than Vector.

The snakes in Archie look more like Sonic characters.

The Crimson Cobra from Sonic the Comic looks more like a Sonic character.

Heck, the one snake dude from Sonic Underground, a show notorious for its un-Sonic character designs, at least looked like he somewhat belonged in the Sonic universe.

I will say that Lyric is the most un-Sonic like snake across all the continuities. 

• Thumbs Up 2

PSA: Watch while you can. 

Someone seems to be requesting the videos removed/put on private.

Damage control?

I personally think previewers broke embargo. It was very strange to see GameExplain's videos go up before SEGA's own press release, methinks it wasn't supposed to be up that early at all.

"Damage control" would imply they have enough time to drastically change the game before release in 5 months. They don't.

*points and gapes*

THE CRIMSON COBRA!!! Cobra! Crimson!

184px-Crimsoncobra.jpg

Crimson.... cobra?

*cough*

Hmm.

Nice to know a bit more about these games, anyway... I suppose Eggman will be involved too, surely?

• Thumbs Up 1

After rewatching the videos I do think the strong point is definitely in the script, voice work and animation. Hhhhnnngthe animation is bloody fantastic! So Jak and Daxter inspired~

I think the reason why it looks like a "dull" and "uninspired" platformer is because it's supposed to be a kid's game first and foremost. It's pretty clear, I mean considering these games are based on the cartoon of the same way (or was it the other way round?).

• Thumbs Up 3

Heck, the one snake dude from Sonic Underground, a show notorious for its un-Sonic character designs, at least looked like he somewhat belonged in the Sonic universe.

Dare I ask, which one was that?

I think the reason why it looks like a "dull" and "uninspired" platformer is because it's supposed to be a kid's game first and foremost. It's pretty clear, I mean considering these games are based on the cartoon of the same way (or was it the other way round?).

Not an excuse.

Sorry, if you weren't intending to use it as one, but that's what it sounded like.

Looks like high-budget indie Donkey Kong game to me.

Half of the budget went into backgrounds. :)

At this point, it's clear that these games (or at least the one for the Wii U) were not intended to be Sonic games at first

Just like 06. %)