Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

I feel the same. I just really hope Sonic isn't boring or just because he has to learn to work with a team because he's a loner, he doesn't come off as a jerk.

Because of Sonic's snarky attitude it makes it hard for writers to get it right without making Sonic come off as unpleasing. I'm fine with Sonic learning to work with his team, character development is good for a story. Since this is a different universe Sonic isn't at the same level of friendship as Modern Sonic is with his friends. I also hope in the show that Sonic doesn't have to keep relearning he's better with a team and keeps trying to do everything himself. That would defeat the purpose of the whole game's story if he learned he is better with a team and forgets that in a lot of episodes.

A lot of the critiques for this game are a lot nicer than on Tumblr. Tumblr just tore the Wii U game apart. 

I think its fine for someone to relearn a lesson a few times before it really sticks. But he should atleast notably improve over the course of the 52 episode we have in store.

I feel the same. I just really hope Sonic isn't boring or just because he has to learn to work with a team because he's a loner, he doesn't come off as a jerk.

Because of Sonic's snarky attitude it makes it hard for writers to get it right without making Sonic come off as unpleasing. I'm fine with Sonic learning to work with his team, character development is good for a story. Since this is a different universe Sonic isn't at the same level of friendship as Modern Sonic is with his friends. I also hope in the show that Sonic doesn't have to keep relearning he's better with a team and keeps trying to do everything himself. That would defeat the purpose of the whole game's story if he learned he is better with a team and forgets that in a lot of episodes.

That's what I find really interesting. I'm used to Sonic having friends. In the main series he's all about teamwork and friendship and he can be friends with almost anybody. So to see this incarnation of him as unsocial and a loner and he has to learn to work with people I'm intrigued to see how his character will developed from the games to the TV show.

I like the idea of all these characters not being used to being an adventuring team and it all being rough around the edges. It makes for some truly fantastic dialogue. I think once we get into the TV show and everyone's more used to this sort of thing they can bring in characters like Shadow and he can be a reflection of what Sonic used to be and have all the same problems, but with none of the actual cooperation Sonic had. So we could have an episode of Sonic trying to ask Shadow for help or something, and Shadow just not being able to take being around other people but eventually having to help out in the end and then being all embarrassed that he did something.

I'm literally just spewing ideas at the screen right now.

That's what I find really interesting. I'm used to Sonic having friends. In the main series he's all about teamwork and friendship and he can be friends with almost anybody. So to see this incarnation of him as unsocial and a loner and he has to learn to work with people I'm intrigued to see how his character will developed from the games to the TV show.

Yup, that's one big reason I want to play this game. Aside from the awesomeness of a 2-player 3D Sonic game, we'll get to see a new origin story. I'm expecting this story to have a lot of cutscenes like pre-Colours Sonic games. And I know I said this about Lost World too, but this is a considerably more important story to tell. Heck, they're advertising is as a prequel and if that's the case then I won't be watching the TV show until I've beat Boom. I'm just one of those people that are obsessive over watching stories in chronological order. 

• Thumbs Up 3

ProJared has posted his thoughts on the game, if any of you are even remotely interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q33tKYRxc50

Yeah, he isn't too positive on it..... he has issues with the game's premise, and I guess he just didn't really have fun with it. Notice he says the game runs like shit too,which is something to be worried about.

This does sound very polarising. And I thought Lost World was the most polarising Sonic game in a while.

Honestly can't say this fills me with hope. If the game runs poorly that's definitely not a good thing. But the game is still in development, so I'm hopeful that these issues will be ironed out.

But it's not really the news of performance issues that worry me, it's the gameplay itself. It looks okay, but it doesn't really fill me with excitement the way other action brawlers do. I was squeeling like a school girl when Arkham Knight first had gameplay revealed. I had a blast with LEGO Marvel. But there's just something about this that doesn't do it for me.

So far though, I'm hearing a lot of mixed reactions on the Wii U game. This doesn't really make me feel very confident about buying it full price on release. What I might do is get it a couple of months after when the price has dropped, and just get the 3DS game on release. That version I love.

I really really want to like it, but I just can't pull myself out of the 'not sure' range. Which is a shame because I was really excited for this, but I'm glad I kept my hype moderate. The game doesn't look awful, but it doesn't really look or sound great. So unfortunately, I'm going to have to say that I'm mixed.

However I still think that Stephen Frost is doing a great job, I can't deny that and keep a straight face at the same time. I kind of feel bad though, he's doing a great job promoting the game and being upbeat and friendly with the fanbase, but over the past week or so my thoughts on the game have constantly been fluctuating and I'm worried that these kinds of reactions might upset him. He's a genuinely nice guy, he feels like part of the community and just like any other member. I really want to show my support by getting at least one of the games....

....buuuut it just so happens that I love the 3DS version! I'll be picking that one up as soon as it goes up on the eShop in November, and there's the TV show, so I'm definitely not out on Boom. It's just that I'm really not sure about Wii U. If it gets good reactions on release I might bite (providing I have spare cash), but I think it's best that I stay with the version I feel confident about for the time being.

• Thumbs Up 2

ProJared has posted his thoughts on the game, if any of you are even remotely interested.

Yeah, he isn't too positive on it..... he has issues with the game's premise, and I guess he just didn't really have fun with it. Notice he says the game runs like shit too, I hope that isn't something to be worried about.

Felt a bit bad for frost when he came in at 1:50 but I cant say I didnt laugh at the timing and irony.

But he must have knew not everyone would take the"its a different kind of sonic" 

Saying it's different game that doesn't gel with Sonic is one thing, but a lot of these simply don't enjoy the game on a technical level, which probably wouldn't be alleviated if it wasn't a Sonic game. 

Man I'm hearing a lot if negative stuff about this game from people who played this kinda makes me a little worried but I'm still looking forward to regardless

Felt a bit bad for frost when he came in at 1:50 but I cant say I didnt laugh at the timing and irony.

...oh wow, that was amazing. some comedy just can't be planned, although I do hope frost wasn't listening to what jared was saying :V

Yeah, I've heard interviews from game developers before and they said it's absolutely soul crushing when people don't like the game. I really do feel bad for them if the game is in actual fact good. If it's the opposite though, I don't know what to say.

Stephen isn't a developer, but he is the producer so I can't imagine how painful it is. It's not really his fault, he probably didn't have complete control of the Wii U version. That was probably helmed by Bob Rafei.

Don't worry though Stephen, I love the 3DS version to bits and I'm getting that day one...no, hour one (if possible). :)

Yeah, he isn't too positive on it..... he has issues with the game's premise, and I guess he just didn't really have fun with it. Notice he says the game runs like shit too,which is something to be worried about.

I saw this video a short while ago but didn't post it cause the audio is nothing more than a quiet, garbled, incomprehensible mess. Anyone else getting that?

Oh man that was uncomfortable to watch.

Yeah he really shouldn't have made comments like that so close to the booth, not saying he shouldn't have said them but, that close to the booth was not a good idea, go to a more neutral location.

I saw this video a short while ago but didn't post it cause the audio is nothing more than a quiet, garbled, incomprehensible mess. Anyone else getting that?

Working fine for me, it's a little grainy due to the direct mic, but I can hear it ok.

Wow, I wonder if Frost heard any of that when he showed up. 

Im hopefully they'll fix things up.

Either way im still pretty excited for this game. 

There are some issues that you can expect to be fixed, like framerate dips and glitches. But when problems concern the core gameplay and the quality of the graphics it's a very different matter. Unfortunately I don't think RoL is going to be too well received. And what we may really enjoy about the dialogue, story and character interactions as did-hard could very easily go over the heads of those who aren't so interested in the series and could even count against it. How many critics are going to rag on about the sheer fact that Sonic's friends are playable, yet alone important, regardless of how they benefit or hinder the experience.

I'm still on the fence with this game. It's a real mixed bag of so right and so meh.

• Thumbs Up 1

The really sad part about this video is that he tried to defend it, but just caved and told it like it is. 

I see this game being like the Storybook series honestly, as in a game that only the most die hard of Sonic fans will enjoy, but overall a pretty mediocre experience. Even if the plot and characters are good, if you don't really give a shit about any of that, all you're left with is a pretty sub-par beat'em up. So I'd say when this game comes out, I'd only recommend buying it if you're absolutely into Sonic, otherwise just stay away and play better games.  

Welp, guess I'll be waiting for Sonic Team's next game after all...

• Thumbs Up 2

Since we're all talking of whether we'll be buying it, I'll say I'm on the fence as well.

For me, the game is good, if not great. While all I've got to go on is the clips, I'm finding a solid experience. I only judge on gameplay, and this reminds me of the LEGO games. It reminds me of Crash, and Spyro, and all the other 3D platformers of Gen6. And since I like that style of gameplay, I'm also liking the look of this.

I am, however, waiting on a few more things before giving full judgement. For one, I need to see the, not complete as such, level blend. So - how we go from one level to the next, how things mesh together. I'd also like to be seeing some things of the hub world.

Until I see that in action, this is only a down-the-line buy.

Honestly, I'm making my choice close to release, when reviews or at least final previews is out, because this is a bad way and point to judge this game. Platformers never do well when judged in small parts, because you never know how good a representative one or early parts will be. Take just about any platformer/adventurer, and split it up, its always to find bad parts when they are alone that are rectified by the full picture, this is true with everything from Jak and Daxter, Super Mario 64, Rachet and Clank, etc. Even the greatest adventurers can have slow parts or bad segments.

There is also the fact that we are far from the final polish, and these demos are unstable dev builds, not final compressed Builds.

I'm not saying that it can't have the same issues it does right now, however it is impossible to judge an adventurer without the sum of all its parts, especialy the first one from a studio that hasn't fully meshed. I mean if you were to go back to the mid ninties, take the original Crash Bandicoot and split it up like this wouldn't you find similar issues, same goes for Rachet and Clank one, that game had a slow part and a number of annoying bugs! also throw in the fact that this game also has to deal with comparisons to an entire series that is in a different genre

So once again, I say wait and see. It'll definitely have some issues, every game does, but save your final judgement for the final project

I dunno....something just feels...missing. The LEGO games just had that something that made it special. It's hard to put my finger on it. I think I might mean some variety in the puzzles, but I'm not sure, as it said it's really difficult to explain. It could be that I grew up with the LEGO games though and they have a special place in my heart.

I'm enticed certainly with this game, but it still needs some more exposure and that extra push to make it a "must buy" for moi. A demo would be in order, and I really want to see how exactly the aspects shown so far in this version become "more challenging" along the way.

So long as the combat isn't overly tedious, I'm so far not seeing too many issues.

And indeed, I don't think it is. The Werehog stages dragged on and on and on. Killing the swarms of enemies was easy enough for me with this, and that leaves me room to be optimistic.

Overall though I think it's clear they want to move Sonic away from being all about speed and being more about exploration and character, for better or worse.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just one small thing i noticed in the video that posted in the previous page. Not sure if anyone confirmed this or said anything about it but in that speed section where Sonic goes down the water? 

He actually didnt quick stepped but he actually went from right to left. So you can control the chars in those sections even without quick stepping. I guess thats good to know.

I saw a little bit, of it. 

I think they are just saying that this game is based off from the new show and that Amy is not playable on the 3DS version. Also they said that the rope technique that everyone can do reminds them of Spiderman. 

That's so far what I can understand.

Edit: So far they were talking about how the gameplay resembles of Sonic Heroes but also I heard that Sonic 2 also inspire it. When they were talking about the 3DS, they were talking about the crystals, my Spanish isn't that good, but I did heard something about Metal Sonic and that you need the crystals to unlock him. Something like that. Hopefully there is someone here who can understand Spanish more than me.