Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

So the problem comes from you not watching the video.

There really is no issue that he thought it was gonna be a sonic game. Not to mention when finds out its not one he doesnt bash it in anyway cause its not one. He just says to everyone that while its not a sonic game its a good game in its own right. YOu can say he didnt mean it but im no mind reader.

Also like I keep saying sonic has never been alot about speed and I really dont think I hear people saying that. BUT what I do hear and agree with is that ther should be speed in a sonic game.

Speed was a reward not "the point" per say. It was about more than just the speed. But it seems people's arguments are getting more and more circumstantial. At one point this was the MAIN argument against Unleashed and Boost games of the sort and even SA2 to some extent. 

But now it's MAIN praise for these games. Please (not to anyone specifically) make up your mind fans of Sonic. I guess it's more about what floats peoples boats but it seems it's in a "what I want" sort of flip flop. I want Sonic to be faster? Sonic games were all about the speed. I want to be able to explore more? Sonic wasn't truly about speed in the first place. It gets frustrating as when it's one way too far of the middle ground the arguments show up using the same thing which was bad to turn it into being good but then vice-versa. 

Dont group a bunch of people together theres no point to it.

Like you said speed was an element and it was also the one that seperated sonic from the majority of other games. Every single major game has had speed interwound in its gameplay.

Speed is something that is expected from a sonic game. Boom doesnt have that so ofcourse people are goin to be upset.

Speed was a reward not "the point" per say. It was about more than just the speed. But it seems people's arguments are getting more and more circumstantial. At one point this was the MAIN argument against Unleashed and Boost games of the sort and even SA2 to some extent. 

But now it's MAIN praise for these games. Please (not to anyone specifically) make up your mind fans of Sonic. I guess it's more about what floats peoples boats but it seems it's in a "what I want" sort of flip flop. I want Sonic to be faster? Sonic games were all about the speed. I want to be able to explore more? Sonic wasn't truly about speed in the first place. It gets frustrating as when it's one way too far of the middle ground the arguments show up using the same thing which was bad to turn it into being good but then vice-versa. 

Speed was very much the point. It's why you played the damn thing. It's why the character's power is "is fast", it's why the marketing went on about blast processing. You knew Sonic goes fast, you had a stage, and you had the controls. Work towards the speed. That's the logic of the game.

EDIT: Heck, Naka even had to keep himself in check since early builds were TOO fast and ended up causing nausea

• Thumbs Up 1

Speed was very much the point. It's why you played the damn thing. It's why the character's power is "is fast", it's why the marketing went on about blast processing. You knew Sonic goes fast, you had a stage, and you had the controls. Work towards the speed. That's the logic of the game.

Yeah but just as much as speed was platforming or exploration also the point. Going fast was a reward for memorizing a level/Using skillful techniques to blaze through levels, not just "Fast". Main marketing point? Yes, yes indeed. It was part of the reason I liked Sonic to begin with. Gameplay wise, not as much my friend. Sonic was about getting from point A to B fast. But notice he wasn't just fast. You had to maneuver through obstacles figure out mechanics, roll, spindash, and more to get to the end fast. Not just be fast while getting to the end.  

Sonic boom isnt a fast adventure game or a fast brawler. Which once again make it feel nothing like sonic and just like any other .

Difference in opinion aside, the moves and whatnot do set it up to be a fast paced brawler. Not to mention the fact that the player is regarded with more of a speedy and more quickly finished battle by pummeling snakes before they reach their robotic armor.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Gameplay wise, you press right he starts moving faster, you press down while moving he rolls gaining speed, speed, speed, faster, faster, how the fuck is Sonic 1 not about speed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah but just as much as speed was platforming or exploration also the point. Going fast was a reward for memorizing a level/Using skillful techniques to blaze through levels, not just "Fast". Main marketing point? Yes, yes indeed. It was part of the reason I liked Sonic to begin with. Gameplay wise, not as much my friend. Sonic was about getting from point A to B fast. But notice he wasn't just fast. You had to maneuver through obstacles figure out mechanics, roll, spindash, and more to get to the end fast. Not just be fast while getting to the end.  

Well honestly I think this is turning into just a matter of opinion.

But point is the gameplay was fast and while it wasnt the only thing there was in the gameplay it was undeniably a huge part of it.

It was what made him stand out as apposed to other games with obstacles and interesting mechanics.

While it may not be what you think of when you think of sonic it is what most other people do, and now all those people are seeing a sonic game without what they came to sonic for "speed".

Which all comes back to the point that because of this lack of speed most people do not see it as a sonic game. Or atleast this game doesnt have what they want from a sonic game.

If that's the case, then how come Green Hill and Starlight were the only parts of Sonic 1 where running fast wasn't a bad idea most of the time? If anything, Sonic's speed was just there to show off the Mega Drive's blast processing. Anyway, which of these to you think is more likely to hook consumers?

1. This is Sonic! He can run really fast!
  2. This is Sonic! He can curl into a ball!

Of course the marketing is going to focus on the former, since that's what will interest people. That doesn't mean it's the main point of the series.

• Thumbs Up 2

That's also something I kept noticing from people who constantly say "It should be all about nothing but speed!" repeatedly and it's really annoying the fuck out of me. These people seriously need to learn that the Wii-U version is not going to be like the "traditional" Sonic game they've played and treat it like a different take on Sonic. If it's "speed platforming" that they want, then play the 3DS version and be happy, that's it.

Well, that approach isn't going to work on the general consumer, is it?

• Thumbs Up 1

Of course the marketing is going to focus on the former, since that's what will interest people. That doesn't make it the main point of the series.

That right it is what people are interested in, It is what people went and bought the game for, it is what people wanted and expected.

And since sonic 1 they made going fast better and better because they know thats what people wanted. I admit you dont just make the game as fast a physically possible but you do have to make it fast.

And guess what less and less people are wanting sonic boom.

Marble Zone, Spring Yard Zone, Labyrinth Zone, Scrap Brain Zone. These all don't focus very much on Speed and it's quite hard to get a good speed going, unless you know the level layout and can use the games assets to your advantage you ain't gettin' any speed. 4/6 of the game don't even focus on "Speed." Sonic's ground speed isn't THAT fast. It's all about the momentum physics which made it possible for him to go break neck speeds. And that's not the only way to get speed, you also play the level multiple times and try to get better. Speed definitely isn't biggest aspect in that game. It's fun and it's part of why replaying the levels is fun because you try to get faster times. BUT Speed ain't just there. Sonic isn't Speedy just because he is (gameplay wise) Am I saying all games need momentum physics, no. I'm just saying that speed isn't the defining factor of that game but what makes it more fun to play, Getting that speed

Getting that speed

In sonic boom you cant get that speed, in sonic games you can. Yes sonic 1 had alot of levels that didnt much focus on it but that was sonic 1 The first sonic game ofcourse they would improve on that over time.

And once again sonic boom doesnt even have the capacity for speed.

Anyway I think we are getting kind of off topic talkig about whether or not sonic games are about speed.

When the point is its what most people go to sonic for.

In sonic boom you cant get that speed, in sonic games you can. Yes sonic 1 had alot of levels that didnt much focus on it but that was sonic 1 The first sonic game ofcourse they would improve on that over time.

And once again sonic boom doesnt even have the capacity for speed.

Anyway I think we are getting kind of off topic talkig about whether or not sonic games are about speed.

When the point is its what most people go to sonic for.

Woah, woah. You don't know that. Just like how speed runners run everything, this game can still be speedy if you know how to use Sonic's (and co's) moves. If you can beat enemies quickly and move through the level with a nice flow then it still gives you that sense of speed. Completing a level fast. 

This is totally on-topic as it relates to how Boom controls, I think?

Woah, woah. You don't know that. Just like how speed runners run everything, this game can still be speedy if you know how to use Sonic's (and co's) moves. If you can beat enemies quickly and move through the level with a nice flow then it still gives you that sense of speed. Completing a level fast. 

This is totally on-topic as it relates to how Boom controls, I think?

You are right maybe it can BUT they arent showing that and so we have no reason to believe that a speed run of this game will be any different than a speed run of arkham city.

Playing a game as fast as you can doesnt make it a fast game.

Anyway since they are not showing it can or even that it was made to its natural to assume it wont deliver anything that feels near sonic speed.

You are right maybe it can BUT they arent showing that and so we have no reason to believe that a speed run of this game will be any different than a speed run of arkham city.

Playing a game as fast as you can doesnt make it a fast game.

Anyway since they are not showing it can or even that it was made to its natural to assume it wont deliver anything that feels near sonic speed.

Basically this, even though you can play through the game fast it still wouldn't make it technically fast, just the player rushing through things in order to get it done quickly. 

Basically this, even though you can play through the game fast it still wouldn't make it technically fast, just the player rushing through things in order to get it done quickly. 

So- Sonic 1 isn't fast? That's what you did in Sonic 1. Running through that normally wouldn't be fast unless you're trying to go through the levels faster. So-

And guess what less and less people are wanting sonic boom.

Okay that's getting a bit superficial and facetious. "Speak for yourself" aside, there's no real indication of "less" want for Boom. If anything, people are bidding their time, no doubt many are skeptical of the game hoping for more out of Boom's outcome, for the better of course.
  • Thumbs Up 2

So- Sonic 1 isn't fast? That's what you did in Sonic 1. Running through that normally wouldn't be fast unless you're trying to go through the levels faster. So-

I somewhat feel as though your not getting what i'm saying here. Its kind of hard to describe but say for instance in platformers like dustforce, super meat boy, heck even mario (as much as I don't like to use mario for these) you go through a level as fast as you can but you have that certain sense of flow that other platformers like jak and ratchet don't have (even sonic 1 has this sense). With boom I don't get that sense of going fast or that certain sense that you would get from the platformers above (mario, dustforce, and meat boy as the example) but I get the feeling this is more jak and ratchets sense of flow than those (and no I don't mean this as a comparison for the games, its just for an example. There are plenty more like them).

This may not be the best way to word it but this is about all I can really say on it (once again its really hard to describe) but i'm not saying that you can't go through sonic boom fast, its just that you can't go through it fast like in the way that you would in all of those other platformers.

That right sonic 1 was the first in the series doesnt encourage speed as much as the rest of the series.

But even sonic one had a character who was capablle of going fast so speed running that game still give a sense of speed.

Why are you so stuck on sonic 1 anyway?

Sonic boom doesnt, the characters move at average speed and a speedrun of it wont give a sense of speed comparable to sonic 2,3 or any sonic game that doesnt have huge amounts of people saying it doesnt feel like a sonic game. The stages are in no way built so that you can get any feeling of speed..

So once again a speed run of sonic boom ends up being like a speed run of call of duty it gives no sense of speed. 

On the subject of the game's identity with people.....I can kind of see why they go in expecting a normal Sonic game.

In the past, Sonic has been about speed for the most part, that's the identity he's built with the general audience, consumer, and gamer. It's natural for them to go in expecting a lot of speed for that reason, because that's the identity SEGA have built for Sonic. And interestingly enough the title being 'Sonic Boom' has a meaning of it's own:

"A sonic boom is the sound associated with the shock waves created by an object traveling through the air faster than the speed of sound. Sonic booms generate enormous amounts of sound energy, sounding much like an explosion." -Wikipedia

But anyway, unless it's a party game like Olympics or something, I can't see what's wrong with people expecting a normal Sonic game. I mean, look at Mario, outside of spin offs like Mario Kart and Party, it's the same principal all around. But with all due respect to the development team, they can't really just deviate from what Sonic is and expect people to be on board with that. It's like making a shooter game (not necessarily a gritty one) featuring Mario characters, it's a change that would even upset some people. Sonic has an identity that has mode him an icon worldwide, if you strip away that identity, who is he?

I don't think what we have now is bad, but I can't say I blame people for not liking it. These are just my thoughts though.

It's like making a shooter game (not necessarily a gritty one) featuring Mario characters, it's a change that would even upset some people.

See, no, because Nintendo would be smart and name it "Mario Shooting" or "Yoshi Safari", instead of "let's name this slow game for the sound an object causes when breaking the sound barrier for going so fast"

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic spinoffs like Riders and the storybook series always had elements that made them clearly still Sonic games.

This game however....Aside from the obligatory speed sequences that are basically there to try to shut guys like me up, just looks like a slow generic brawler-platformer. Since the speed sequences look shallow, It's hard for me to accept this as a Sonic game.

I don't feel the problem is that it's not a "Sonic game"(because I hardly believe we even know much anymore) but rather it's a very generic game with Sonic's name on it.

I think the game would have gone over better had they added their own twist on the Sonic formula...but then you realize that there really isn't a Sonic formula to twist in the first place :V

Sonic Team more than likely just told BRB to do whatever and just slap Sonic's name on it, and not really any input on the mechanics of the series itself. This is just baseless assumptions on my part, but it seems to be a popular opinion lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 6

Sonic spinoffs like Riders and the storybook series always had elements that made them clearly still Sonic games.

What about Sonic Battle and Sonic Chronicles?