Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

"Demo isn't indicative of the full experience"

Aaaand that's just put a few if my worries to rest. Yeah I think I'm okay with this version now. As long as it's exciting and fun, I think I'll enjoy it.

That's what I've been saying the past couple days, adventurer/Brawlers are almost impossible to demo well because they are built around a complete experience that develops that you go, not a bunch of stand-alone levels that are bundled together like lost world or colors. Here the experience develops as you go

Its extremely easy to take an iffy part from a great complete game, and make it look bad, but you can't truly judge it till you have the entire product

• Thumbs Up 4

TSS interview with Stephen Frost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU3neKGNktA

So having listened to this myself, there's a few new and interesting bits of information, would anyone be willing to provide a transcript for the group?

~Tons of concept art, he'd like to have them in the game as unlockables.

~The speed levels we seeing are very basic compared to what is in store and what we saw is transition from hub to level. Challenges will vary, crazyness will vary. The directions and how you running will be very different from this. 

~Lots of pacing going speedy, slow, combat, speedy, slow, platforming, puzzle solving etc

~No one likes hours of constant fighting and slow going he says.

~Connectivity between 3ds & Wii U.

~Demo in E3 is meant to show what is the difference between traditional Sonic and this sonic but its not only what you will see in the full game

~Sticks is a collaborations between Sonic Team Japan, SoA, BRB & tv animation guys. Tv animation made the personality, Sonic team made sketches and brb did the rest.

~One principle guy writes the story and dialogue but Tv animation dudes had key involvement.

~Lyric member of an old race, you can see glimpses of that. There is a reason why he is sealed and why he got freed so he can continue his mission.

~Sticks not playable in Wii U ver but she makes an appearance.

~Collectibles are rings and robot scraps. Rings = health.

~100 is the standard but you can upgrade to hold more.

~ More combos = more robot parts.

~ Robot parts = more upgrades + objects for hubs + objects for sticks too.

Sorry kinda quick rundown and not in much detail but i think i got most of it

Thanks for the rundown, also I still get the sneaking suspicion that Sticks a post-game, or competitive unlockable. but no way to know for sure till the games out and that's not something that they would reveal :P 

No one mentioned the small tease about Lyric's history we got? Frost said that Lyric has a history with echidnas and hedgehogs and there's a reason as to why he knows who Sonic is. There was also a mention on how the statues you see in the game of echidnas and hedgehogs could relate to the story of the game, but not much was said on that.

Overall, I'm liking what we're getting here. The story sounds quite interesting and I'm really intrigued on Lyric's past and why he wants to get revenge, why he was sealed, etc. Thoughts on this game are starting to lean over to the positive side after hearing the interview. The game sounds like it will have enough variety. Can't wait to see more of it in the future.

• Thumbs Up 7

That interview was pretty good, learned some stuff. I'm really intrigued in the concept art! Hopefully they do make a Art Book or something in-game to view it. 

Something interesting to note:

Running level from B-roll/E3 demo:

sonicboomheader.jpg

Same level from E3 trailer:

image13.jpg

Sorry for blurriness, had to take it from trailer.

I was right when I said that the game was missing it's lighting before by the looks of it, that looks a bit better. Water also looks eons better.

• Thumbs Up 2

Normally I don't pay much attention to the longer interviews and previews, but I just wanted to say that that one is well worth it; very interesting material there.

The running level from the b-roll is completely lacking it lighting. That screenshot isn't, but I do think the e3 demo looks better, yeah. I'm guessing that they're paying the least attention to the speed sections because they have the least "new" elements to them.

Its extremely easy to take an iffy part from a great complete game, and make it look bad, but you can't truly judge it till you have the entire product

Can we please not pull the "you can't judge it on X" card?

Yeah it's obvious that dismissing a game entirely isn't necessarily the most fair of judgement calls when the game is still in development, hasn't been released, and/or is a game you haven't played, especially for people actually looking forward to the game. But that doesn't mean people can't negatively judge it at all because of some specific reason(s) (and if that was the case, you can't eat your cake and have it too-it would only be fair if people wouldn't be able to positively judge it at all under the same circumstances).

It's also worth nothing that when the developers/publisher(s) release new information concerning a game (including screenshots and footage) and/or allow people to play their selected/latest build of the game, one of the reasons they do is because they want to see/read/hear about other people's thoughts on the game. If they didn't they wouldn't have it on display or release new footage/screenshots about their game in the first place.

(And personally, from what I've read of the more critical impressions made about Sonic games prior to release, they usually tend to be the more vindicated ones when the game launches and people/critics discuss the game.)

• Thumbs Up 7

What? They look exactly the same. The 'brown' water in the first picture is further off in the distance than anything in the trailer picture, and there is literally no difference in lighting. I'm positive that the screenshots and the E3 trailer were taken from the same build if not two builds that are very close to each other and best no visual differences.

Something interesting to note:Running level from B-roll/E3 demo:sonicboomheader.jpgSame level from E3 trailer:image13.jpgSorry for blurriness, had to take it from trailer.I was right when I said that the game was missing it's lighting before by the looks of it, that looks a bit better. Water also looks eons better.

What? They look exactly the same. The 'brown' water in the first picture is further off in the distance than anything in the trailer picture, and there is literally no difference in lighting. I'm positive that the screenshots and the E3 trailer were taken from the same build if not two builds that are very close to each other and bear no visual differences.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Anybody else still wondering if Sonic's run is gonna get an upgrade on the one fact alone that he was running on water in the initial trailer, without teamates, without mach speed, and freely. Out of all the things this is what I wonder the most.

I don't think that's any different from what we've seen, it just appears to be a different area.

Anybody else still wondering if Sonic's run is gonna get an upgrade on the one fact alone that he was running on water in the initial trailer, without teamates, without mach speed, and freely. Out of all the things this is what I wonder the most.

Eh, Sonic getting a run upgrade doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to me, and at this point it's sounding unlikely anyway. It's been stated that high speed running sections like this one will be a part of adventure stages, not just take place between them and the hubs, so my guess is that, after solving a puzzle or beating some baddies with his friends, Sonic goes out onto the water alone (being the fastest and all) to run through some rings to open a door or something as part of a puzzle.

Of course, there apparently will be boats in this game, so maybe, alternatively, Sonic has to run across water to hop into a boat with his friends (which he wasn't in from the get go for story proposes), and then they go through rings while in the boat.

• Thumbs Up 1

Could also just be brightness settings I suppose. Provably should have thought about that...

However, the water definitely looks different than before, though it could be they changed the water effects and texture.

The water too looks exactly the same... Like, we're looking at the same thing twice here.

Hmmm....could just be my eyes there then. Sorry about that, just thought it looked a bit different.

So Stephen said something about hubs. Does this mean there are multiple hubs or just multiple areas within the hub interconnected by speed sections?

So I've researched Sonic Boom, I watched the videos. I laughed at this thread, and sighed at this thread.

As a person who hasn't been following this game, all I can really say is the game overall feels unimpressive. Not because it doesn't feel "Sonical", but because I've played plenty of other games from the same genre that gives a better impression. I've always had the mentality of judging a game based off it's own merits, because I feel expecting a franchise to stay the same limits it's growth. That said, all I get from Sonic Boom is they've taken out Sonic's core mechanics and put in another franchise's.

And that's essentially the main issue I have with this game. It feels like this game has not incorporated Sonic's qualities into it's Brawler-esque gameplay and made something truly unique. I will be honest and say the Action/Adventure outlook does spark some mild interest in me, but I can get that from a number of other games made years ago. The narrative is probably going to be the best part, but I don't need to buy the game to learn of it's story.

I don't expect this game to be a failure, but I expect it to be just another mediocre title in the Sonic franchise that'll come and go, much like the Storybook series.

• Thumbs Up 1

Didn't know where to post this....

Retro's Stealth posted an interesting tweet a few days ago....

"Wasn't on-board with Sonic Boom at first, but now I believe it needs to sell well. Can't say why; just trust I have a good reason to say so"

Stealth, who most will know - unless you've been living in a cave for the last 18 months - worked on the recent mobile ports of Sonic 1 and 2. Stealth went to E3 this year. His tweet is similar to the 'you really should buy these, just trust me on this' posts from Retro staff when it was first announced that Taxman and Stealth were working on the aforementioned ports of S1&2. The Retro staff basically meant to support StealthTax by buying the mobile versions because they are very talented, and if they do a good job - which they did - this could lead to great things.

So what is Stealth's tweet about? He obviously knows something we don't. I know most of us would like to see StealthTax work on a Sonic 3&K port or a new game entirely, but what if they've been asked to make a brand new mobile game based on the Boom franchise, maybe with 2d gameplay? We at least already know that there will be mobile games based on Sonic Boom in some format.

Okay we can only speculate, but you know what, the Sonic 1&2 ports received critical acclaim so maybe SEGA of America want to use StealthTax again? Hope that's true.

• Thumbs Up 2

Interesting interview with some juicy details. Hearing more and more about the story, Lyric's past and the origins of hedgehogs and echidnas really intrigues me and sounds like something SEGA would never even dream of exploring in their own games.

I'm sure he has good reasons behind it.

But I hate these kind of statements, seriously without any kind of...anything to back this up. I don't think he is lying, but it's just so vague. It could mean literally anything, it could increase te chance of another boom game, the chance of the show coming to the UK and other parts of the world earlier. At this point we don't know, but I don't want people telling me to buy a game I'm not that I tested in because something " might happen" rather than because the game is genuinely interesting and good.

Oh Penders is going to throw another for over echidnas, backstory history and whatnot for sure.

Well i am was buying the gamea anyway so if it means helping with something that might happen then i guess thats good.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh Penders is going to throw another for over echidnas, backstory history and whatnot for sure.

That's a good thought there Jova. I wonder if Penders would get upset over this? Well, he probably will but I doubt he can actually take SEGA to court for this. He doesn't own Echidnas as a species, and his aren't even Echidnas. They're Echid'nyas (is that correct?).