Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

Why should we even think that Shadow is in the game at all?

I think a lot of it is just sheer hope from people hoping that random characters will be thrown in the game.

I'm totally cool with, and hope for more Sonic characters to be re-imagined in Boom's universe somewhere down the line, but I doubt we're going to be getting anyone aside from the main playable characters and Sticks in the Wii U and 3DS version. A small cameo from the likes of Shadow is possible, but there's literally nothing to suggest that at this point in time.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder what kind of scarf Shadow will wear...

and I sincerely hope that Shadow will be "too cool" for sports tape.

Sure sonic goes back in time but whos to say shadow hasnt already sealed him.

Good storytelling for one thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

(Note: I haven't listened to the interview, I couldn't take five seconds of the interviewer's persona.) I suspect that the game uses "Chaos Crystals" but not Chaos Emeralds for the simple reason that they're meant to be indeterminate in number.  BRB probably wants Chaos energy to be a thing and Chaos Crystals to be something like physical accumulations of Chaos energy, along with the potential for such crystals to be created, destroyed, and for more to be found if future games demand it.  (Presumably, the eponymous Shattered Crystal of the 3DS version is a Chaos Crystal.)  In other words, they're not quite so special as the Chaos Emeralds - more like a resource than very specific ancient artifacts.

We've been told that Chaos Emeralds could conceivably feature in future games, which suggests an obvious conceptual difference; the actual Chaos Emeralds would probably be specifically limited in number, near-limitless in power, very obviously shaped and refined, and indestructible.  But likely BRB would rather get away from there being seven Chaos Emeralds which are forever being arbitrarily lost and found every single game.

• Thumbs Up 1

A bit late to the game..but the reason a lotta people have something against this, it's branded under Sonic..

Kinda like Sonic 4 again../=

I agree but there seems to be more than that, glitches, framerate, etc.

Surprisingly gameplay aside, the 3DS seems more polished than the Wii U demo and we all expected Sanzaru started development later than BRB to boot..

I know the scale of the games are different..but it's E3 and it's Sonic...it's the best place to put a good showing and following for Sonic Boom..other than reviews and whatnot

I'm sorry if I sparked something by sharing that, I only thought it was interesting. Though I have to agree you all make good points...

I'm wondering, though...are they going backwards, or forwards in time?

Pretty sure we're going back in time, and I am looking forward to it (I trust these people to handle time travel much better than Sonic Team).

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, it's pretty clear we'll be seeing Sonic (and possibly the others) go back in time to come across and defeat Lyric. Only to have Lyric give the ol' "I will remember your face and I will return to destroy you!" spiel, hence why he seemed to recognize Sonic when he awoke.

Which, yunno, also happened in 06' with Mephiles and his grudge against Shadow.

Which would kind of be a neat twist as to why we see statues of echidnas and hedgehogs since I can see them being built by a ancient tribe to honor the mysterious heroes who conquered the evil conqueror and vanished as soon as they arrived. 

Come to think of it, wasn't time travel mentioned in that old (Hawaiian shirt Shadow) "leak"? Meh. Probably (and hopefully) just a coincidence.

"Chaos Crystals"? Hey, since Rise of Lyric's being done by ex-Naughty Dog employees, wouldn't it be cool if they made it like Crash 2 & 3?

By that I mean, the Crystals are the standard plot macguffins needed to complete the game, and the Chaos Emeralds are the "gems" obtained through secret methods and are only needed for 100%.

I know this won't happen, since the Emeralds have been deconfirmed for RoL; it's just kind of a cool "what-if" scenario.

"Older fans are passionate about Sonic, so we still want to keep a classic line going with a nostalgia element," says Flores. "We see a two-tiered focus going forward, with a retro look for older consumers and the Sonic Boom look targeted to a younger, new generation of fans."

This is basically how I've understood what they were doing.

It's a shame though that they can't figure out how to properly implement that "retro" element in a 2D sidescroller. 

• Thumbs Up 3

This is basically how I've understood what they were doing.

It's a shame though that they can't figure out how to properly implement that "retro" element in a 2D sidescroller. 

Do you mean shattered crystals? Because they make it clear that a retro look is for their "classic" line and that sonic boom is for the brats.

Oh. Big woop.

Sonic Boom for the newer generation, with the Sonic Team games catering to the previous generations.

While I still think there might be something prev-gen fans can find in Boom [like a story that's enticing], I'm pretty sure more things like Gens/Unleashed will be following for us. Maybe with a bit of Adventure elements thrown in for good measure.

If Sonic Team wants to cater to the older fans, then maybe they might replicate the gameplay of Boom except for the fact they include mostly speed elements? I have no idea how it would play out. All I'm thinking is it can go either way.

"Older fans are passionate about Sonic, so we still want to keep a classic line going with a nostalgia element," says Flores. "We see a two-tiered focus going forward, with a retro look for older consumers and the Sonic Boom look targeted to a younger, new generation of fans."

Oh, you mean like the Sonic 4 saga? No thank you.

(Episode III finally confirmed!)

• Thumbs Up 1

This is basically the same thing they've said about Sonic 4 and Colors and how Sonic 4 is suppose to target the core gamers and older fans who loves the 2D games and grew up with the classics and Colors is for the new and younger fans who likes the 3D games.

The time traveling element is starting to intrigue me. There's a good chance Sonic really DID lock him up and it just hasn't happened from his perspective yet. The echidna and hedgehog statues could be the villagers worshiping Sonic and Knuckles. My guess is that it ends with Lyric trapped in an endless time loop of being imprisoned by Sonic in the past, released by a clueless Sonic in the future and then going through time trying to get revenge.Forever repeating his actions over and over.

• Thumbs Up 1

But if it's the same Lyric getting trapped, wouldn't he, at some point, do something different because he keeps getting trapped?

Then again, that brings the whole time travel problem to begin with. Something always has to happen, or it would never happen in the first place. Best answer to that is time splitting.

It's wrong. 

We've already been told that time travel is involved and that Lyric is over 1000 years old. 

Sonic is the guy who seals him, only in Sonic's timeline it hasn't happened yet. TIME PARADOX!

Nobody said it is right, and to tell the truth I'm with you. I personally think we'll have something like sonic 06 Shadow story with sonic being shadow and lyric being mephiles.

Wait, wait. Guys. A retro game was hinted by SEGA? If Boom sells well on Wii U, SEGA will be able to port this next game to this system as well. And this game might be Taxman/Stealth new classic Sonic. So that's why Stealth's twittet?

POSTED BY SOLKIA IN THE STATUS THREADS

tumblr_inline_n7alwvaWHs1s8q03t.gif

THIS IS AWESOME

WE NEED MORE OF THIS

/caps lock

• Thumbs Up 1

So some people are saying it's forward time travel, most think it's backwards... Well...

BH8VOD0CEAAzeUP.jpg

http://youtu.be/NVT93XgmRME

(I know this video was posted a few pages back, but there still seems to be a touch of confusion)

The time traveling element is starting to intrigue me. There's a good chance Sonic really DID lock him up and it just hasn't happened from his perspective yet. The echidna and hedgehog statues could be the villagers worshiping Sonic and Knuckles. My guess is that it ends with Lyric trapped in an endless time loop of being imprisoned by Sonic in the past, released by a clueless Sonic in the future and then going through time trying to get revenge.Forever repeating his actions over and over.

It can't end like that though, because Shatterd Crystal also includes Lyric and that comes after Rise.

Also on the subject of Crystals, we know this game features ancient statues of Hedgehogs and Echidnas holding rings, did anyone mention that the Tidal Crystal is also a ring?